My First Job? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JunkMailz

Hilarious Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:49 pm
Hello, ladies. I have quite a few store near my house, and I'd like to find a part-time job to help my mother out. I am 16 (turning 17 in Feb.) and right now I'm in an online school and ends pretty early. I was just wondering how did you get YOUR first job? And any advice would be very helpful :3  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 am
First of all, I'm sorry I don't have advice because I've never had the luck of getting employed, but I would absolutely love to hear what other people have to say!  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 am
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Got mine through my grandpa because he knew the manager at a restaurant. I was only there for three months because the job sucked and the managers were asses. I think now and days you have a better chance of getting a job through a friend or family member. You have more of an advantage than those who simply have past experiences.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:49 am
I work in a library! biggrin
It took me about 8 months to get a job, bad economy and all. However you have to be persistent and not picky! Also when you apply, call back to speak to the manager and mention that you applied for a job and appear confident, "Hey when I get a job interview?" Apply everywhere, don't be picky. You gotta start somewhere. Good luck! heart  

Silver Koneko

Desirable Citizen

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
  • Citizen 200

JunkMailz

Hilarious Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 am
little aishi chan

Yes, I have been told that :/ I really didn't want to believe it. I've actually been talking to a lot of my relatives asking if they know someone. Not a lot of luck. But I do thank you anyway, my dear. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 am
Silver Koneko
It took me about 8 months to get a job, bad economy and all. However you have to be persistent and not picky! Also when you apply, call back to speak to the manager and mention that you applied for a job and appear confident, "Hey when I get a job interview?" Apply everywhere, don't be picky. You gotta start somewhere. Good luck! heart

I am, in fact, trying my best not to be so picky. I REALLY do not want to work in a fast-food place. But I guess if nothing really works out for me, I'll start applying for those too. And thank you, for that lovely advice. heart  

JunkMailz

Hilarious Prophet

Silver Koneko

Desirable Citizen

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 pm
JunkMailz
Silver Koneko

I am, in fact, trying my best not to be so picky. I REALLY do not want to work in a fast-food place. But I guess if nothing really works out for me, I'll start applying for those too. And thank you, for that lovely advice. heart

I didn't want to work in a fast-food place either. I resented it with such passion. However lucky for me I got hired at the local library; and remember calling and being persistent is not the same as being a pest. Trust me. Employers like to know that you're really interested in the position!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am
Silver Koneko

I've heard many times people say, "Call in to check on the status of your application, and keep on calling throughout the week to check on it because they're more likely to look at it and give you a response if they know that you are interested," and I always thought that idea sounded silly because I'm the type that hates to bother people and it always sounded like, "Keep calling to check the status of your application because they'll have to check it if they want you to stop calling," to me xD but it's good to know that it works and shows a positive sign of interest ^_^

My flaw is that I am picky as well >_< I also want to avoid fast food if at all possible. If it's outside of fast food, I'm still picky in a sense of, "Oh, I don't like that store - I don't want to work there," and such. Although, I'm sure it's something I'll need to get over if I really want a job xD  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Silver Koneko

Desirable Citizen

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:35 pm
Aquatic_blue
Silver Koneko

I've heard many times people say, "Call in to check on the status of your application, and keep on calling throughout the week to check on it because they're more likely to look at it and give you a response if they know that you are interested," and I always thought that idea sounded silly because I'm the type that hates to bother people and it always sounded like, "Keep calling to check the status of your application because they'll have to check it if they want you to stop calling," to me xD but it's good to know that it works and shows a positive sign of interest ^_^

My flaw is that I am picky as well >_< I also want to avoid fast food if at all possible. If it's outside of fast food, I'm still picky in a sense of, "Oh, I don't like that store - I don't want to work there," and such. Although, I'm sure it's something I'll need to get over if I really want a job xD

Yes that is true. Haha, I was the same way. I was so hesitant to call constantly but I did it and it benefited me so I believe it will benefit you as well! Good luck!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 pm
Silver Koneko
Aquatic_blue
Silver Koneko

Yes that is true. Haha, I was the same way. I was so hesitant to call constantly but I did it and it benefited me so I believe it will benefit you as well! Good luck!

That's fantastic! ^_^ Will definitely need to try that.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Salted Lemon

Salty Admirer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:26 am
My first job was for Papa Murphys take & bake pizza - I actually quite liked it haha

Some tips on finding work:
1. Be open in your search
2. Ask at places you want to work if they are / will be hiring. Many places don't advertise they are hiring because they want to see people come in and ask themselves.
3. If you have any work relative experience, community involvement, etc, be sure to note those in any applications
4. Call the company you applied to after a few days to see where you stand, putting that initiative in is very helpful.
5. When on the interview dress appropriate for the job. If the job requires slacks, wear slacks. If the job is very casual, dress business casual, never go in just casual.
6. When on the interview be sure that your handshake is strong, but not overbearing to the person interviewing you, and when they introduce themselves repeat their name in a sentence such as "It's nice to meet you Mr. ______"
7. Don't fiddle, sit up straight, cross your ankles and make constant eye-contact.
8. Make sure you don't fall off topic, but that your answers are clear and concise. It's okay to extend on a topic if the employer appears to be curious and can strengthen for why you should be hired.
9. Smile, its a huge thing. You want your face to express your desire to be there. I had gone through a workshop with an employer at Disney and he could not stress enough how big of a deal smiling is and remaining positive. I have kept that in mind and every employer I have had since said that I lit up the room and made it a joy to interview because I bring a calm and friendly feel to the room.
10. After the interview wait a few days (if you were not hired on the spot) and call to express interest in the position still. You will most likely be hired or asked for a second interview.

I'm sure youll find something you'll enjoy soon smile Just keep working towards it!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 pm
Salted Lemon

Oh this was really helpful! I'll make sure to remember these when I job search after the holidays. Thanks-a-bunches. 3nodding  

JunkMailz

Hilarious Prophet

Le Patronus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 pm
Just a lot of online applying but my first job was at a movie theater, I loved it. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:35 pm
Having someone you know work at a place helps too, especially if the boss likes their work ethics. You can usually get a good reference from them.

But my first job, I worked for my uncle at a sports store.  

bashfulmarie

T i f a

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm
I didn't get my first job until I was in college during the summer. All I did was go places and ask for an application, fill it out, and returned it. My first job ended up being Little Caesars, but I did get an interview at KFC too.  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff