Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
How do I handle this?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chaoskaye

Obsessive Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm
Today I logged onto Skype and noticed my ex was on, so I read her status. To me it's sounds like she's thinking about killing herself on the 26th of this month. I know she's had a history of mental break downs and she believes no one cares about her anymore, which isn't true at all. I'm extremely worried about her well being now but I'm not sure how I can even handle this situation. Here are the problems, her phone was shut down so I can't contact her that way, we live a few states apart, I do not have any phone numbers of her father, family, or friends, and we broke up before I could ask for her new apartment address. What do you guys propose I should do?

Here is her status that led me to believe this.
"I picked my date. I won't ever be around again on and after 12/26/12. RIP (her moms name), my loving mother who passed the same date but 2011. Bye guys."

I'm thinking I may have to tell my mom about it, because I'm freaked out that she's going to actually do it. Though, I don't know what my mom can do. Please help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:15 pm
Try Skyping her since you have her on there. Or you could try any of your other social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) First, engage in a bit of small talk at the start, since it sounds like you guys haven't spoken in a while. Then, as you delve deeper into the conversation, tenderly say to her, "What's this I hear about killing yourself?" Don't try to sound condescending or sarcastic about it. Let her get some stuff on her chest, and then tell her that even though you guys broke up, you still care about her immensely and want to help her. Let her know she's worth it.
Good luck, I wish I could help you a bit more but I don't have a ton of experience with this.  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

Alaphine

Ruthless Businesswoman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:48 pm
I'm in situations like this sometimes. My ex has bipolar and severe depression so every once in a while she'll just be so down on herself and will think no one cares for her and stuff like that. When it gets too bad, she'll talk about suicide. I think the best thing you can do is to try to calm her down and let her know how much she means to you and everyone else and figure out why she feels the need to take her life and try to help her through it. If she won't open up to you, see if she'll call the suicide lifeline for help.

Since my ex lives several states away, I've had to call the cops in her area because she texted me that she was finally going kill herself and wouldn't respond to any of my texts or calls. Hopefully you can help her before something as drastic as that needs to happen.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 am
if you really htink they will do it then i would tell someone, your mother, a teacher at school, anyone that you think could help. maybe even call the suicide hotline and ask them for advice on what to do  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

chaoskaye

Obsessive Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
Alaphine
Shanna66
Thank you all for the advice, I really do appreciate it and it helped immensely.

The situation for the most part has been handled, so I believe everything will be alright now.

Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games