Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXNi-ChanXx

Lonely Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 am

So I need some hamster advice.
I am basically a new Hamster Mommy.
So I am still trying to work out some details.

This is mainly what we got her:
gaia_nitemareleft The bedding
gaia_nitemareleft Hamster food
gaia_nitemareleft The wheel
gaia_nitemareleft A hamster home
gaia_nitemareleft A water bottle
gaia_nitemareleft Big cage for her to run around
gaia_nitemareleft Run-about Ball

Is there anything else I should also keep in mind?
Is there anything I should and shouldn't do?
Is there things I should avoid or look out for?

This is my first time owning a hamster and I basically want to make sure I have covered all the important things and make sure she is in the best of care.
Please and thank you
emotion_kirakira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 am
xXNingyoXx

So I need some hamster advice.
I am basically a new Hamster Mommy.
So I am still trying to work out some details.

This is mainly what we got her:
gaia_nitemareleft The bedding
gaia_nitemareleft Hamster food
gaia_nitemareleft The wheel
gaia_nitemareleft A hamster home
gaia_nitemareleft A water bottle
gaia_nitemareleft Big cage for her to run around
gaia_nitemareleft Run-about Ball

Is there anything else I should also keep in mind?
Is there anything I should and shouldn't do?
Is there things I should avoid or look out for?

This is my first time owning a hamster and I basically want to make sure I have covered all the important things and make sure she is in the best of care.
Please and thank you
emotion_kirakira

Hamsters are great - I've only owned one, but that hamster lived quite a few years. I've also had friends who have had them ^_^

The good news is that hamsters are sweet and easy to take care of. They of course require maintenance because of their cage and certain rodent needs.

There is something else that I will recommend. Hamsters instinctively chew on things just as a cat needs to scratch. You can get chew sticks for hamsters at a local pet store. Sometimes they are wood blocks with that come in a few different colors, and there are nicer ones that almost look like a stick of bird feed that is for your hamster to chew on. It's both a treat and a way for them to keep their chewing habit in check. Sometimes if a hamster doesn't have something to chew on - they will try to chew on things in their cage that stick out.

The hamster balls are a lot of fun because your hamster can run around the house this way. I remember putting my hamster in one of those and I can give you a few words of advice:

1. On the instructions, it usually says not to leave a hamster in the ball more than 30 minutes or so. It's a good thing to stick by this rule because there is a possibility of suffocation otherwise.

2. ALWAYS watch your hamster while they are in the ball. Most people think, "Oh, I can put my hamster around the ball, let them run around the room/house/wherever without me needing to watch them." We got a ball and had secured the lid - more than once we went to look for the ball and the hamster was missing. We found her each time, but after those couple times it wasn't coincidence so we kept our eye on her.

Other than that - it sounds to me like you have the bases covered as far as getting everything together for a suitable hamster environment smile

A few extra pointers:

1. When cleaning the cage, it is perfectly safe to use dish soap - it doesn't harm them. Decide how many times a week you are going to clean the cage. The cage truly does stink when not cleaned out when it should be.

2. Hamsters are nocturnal animals. They sleep most of the day and come out at night. They aren't exactly suitable to keep in a person's bedroom that needs good sleep at night because hamsters can be noisy - especially if their wheel is a tad squeaky. They also get to climbing and chewing on food so put the hamster cage in a suitable place.

3. I have often read that one shouldn't bathe hamsters. Of course they smell a little at times, but they are rodents. Some have used the dust bath that is more commonly used for chinchillas. The dust bath usually has a picture of a chinchilla or rodent on it and they roll around in the dust to clean themselves off. It seems a bit silly to us, but to some rodents, it's a way of life. If your hamster absolutely smells - try using a bit of that and see if it helps.

4. Hamsters can eat and eat and eat. Sometimes it is necessary to measure their food to keep their health in check. It is said that a tablespoon a day should be enough. It may also have amounts on the bag of food for your hamster. Morning time is probably the best time to feed them considering they wake up a few times during the day even though they are considered nocturnal.

5. Make sure the food bowl is sturdy. Preferentially, never use anything the hamster can chew through. Ceramic dishes are usually best because the hamster can't chew through them like they can plastic or other weaker materials.

6. Hamsters are interesting animals. If you have recently brought them home and haven't held them yet then let them get used to their new environment. If they aren't used to it then they can be frightened and bite you. If you've handled your hamster and know that it is comfortable in it's environment then that's a fabulous start!  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items