Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
How do you feel about feminism?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:42 pm
There's a lot that has and still is being said about feminism or maybe moreso about feminists. That feminists are racist, which historically is at least partly true. That they are female supremacists which also historically can be said is true. But things change. The movement as a whole I'm not sure has but there's plenty of feminists who aren't crazy. I personally believe we need feminism, but not the supremacy kind. My kind of feminism is just believing that women shouldn't be 2nd class just because of their gender, that's it and that's all.

Last night I had a conversation about feminism and the other person said she didn't like feminism because it didn't cover more than one problem (as in they focus on women's rights exclusively). This bothered me because she was acting like once you proclaimed yourself a feminist you absolutely could do nothing else but that. I consider myself a feminist just because I believe women should be equal to men and I really could care less if that's not really "what a feminist is" and what the hell ever. Now If she had a better reason for not liking feminism I would have agreed probably, but I felt her reason was dumb honestly. I mean I get where she's coming from, but it didn't make sense to me, she was just putting everything into boxes you couldn't get out of, which didn't make sense.

So yeah, I guess because that conversation I had bothered me, I wanted to discuss this some more.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 pm
I consider myself a feminist because I think it's wrong to discriminate against women solely because they are women. That doesn't make me a racist, and it doesn't mean that I can't have opinions about other issues.  

Ravyn457

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am
Ravyn457
I consider myself a feminist because I think it's wrong to discriminate against women solely because they are women. That doesn't make me a racist, and it doesn't mean that I can't have opinions about other issues.

That's basically what I said to the girl I had the conversation with. She made it sound like because you're one thing you couldn't be another. I consider myself a feminist but that doesn't mean I don't care about other things or fight for other causes.

And most feminists I've met... Actually all the feminists I've met so far haven't been racist. But there are those who only care about white women and not really anyone else. I have yet to meet those kind.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am
Feminism has had many waves and branches. Some have been racist, yes, but the current state of feminism has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of racial supremacy.

As it stands, mainstream feminism focuses on women having the same rights as men. This doesn't mean that women are more important, just as being a gay rights advocate doesn't mean you think gays are better or more important than straights. It's nonsensical to think that focusing on one side of an inequality issue means you only care about that side.

There are radical feminists that think women should be treated as the better gender, but radicals are just that - radical. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all men are rapists, and not all feminists are gender supremacists.

I am a feminist, and there's no shame in that.  

Rainbow Shrapnel

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff