Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
random question - is cussing a sin? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 am
real eyes realize
I don't think anyone here made the implication that it's limited to a list of forbidden words.

Quote:
Colossians 3:7-8 (NIV)

7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

Depending on the version, it may say "obscene talk", "abusive speech", "filthy communication", "shameful speaking". I think that pretty much sums up what "curse words" are used for no matter how you cut it (again, not limited to). And like anything else in the sanctification process, we get rid of things from our former selves that bring shame onto his reputation. Were we born-again or not? Is the born-again process powerless to rid our mouths of obscenities? We should be godly not worldly, even in speech, no matter the language or era. There's no good reason to continue expressing ourselves in filthy ways.
What's obscene, abusive, filthy, or shameful about curse words?

As I said before, you can do all of those things without curse words. Curse words are inflections, little else in this day and age. That doesn't mean you shouldn't watch your mouth depending on location, but it's more a matter of the receiver than the giver.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am
I have never heard a time when a curse word would glorify, edify, lift up the name of Jesus. Anythign that doesn't lift up our Lord and Saviour is a sin. One of my friends' sons says it best when he hears someone say G.D. He responds with God's last name isn't ______. you can fill in that blank. From the mouths of babes I tell you. So, if it doesn't benefit the Kingdom of god, it is from the enemy. If it is from the enemy it can't benefit the Kingdom. Therefore it is sinful.  

SunshineDaisyGirl

Blessed Guildswoman

7,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am
SunshineDaisyGirl
I have never heard a time when a curse word would glorify, edify, lift up the name of Jesus. Anythign that doesn't lift up our Lord and Saviour is a sin. One of my friends' sons says it best when he hears someone say G.D. He responds with God's last name isn't ______. you can fill in that blank. From the mouths of babes I tell you. So, if it doesn't benefit the Kingdom of god, it is from the enemy. If it is from the enemy it can't benefit the Kingdom. Therefore it is sinful.
So, burping is a sin?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 am
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl
So, burping is a sin?

Burping does not correlate with filthy language. Burping is a natural human reaction - a natural human reaction that God created within us because it is useful to our digestive system.

Generally burping is swallowed air. A person swallows air mostly when eating or drinking. If enough air is swallowed, it can cause gas pains and cause a person to feel bloated. Most people have experienced drinking a can of soda with a meal and feeling unbelievably bloated until they were able to burp and they felt a whole lot better because of that release in pressure in the digestive system.

Burping is an important function for infants because they aren't able to burp without the help of someone trying to burp them. After feeding, it's important, because that swallowed air can stay trapped inside an infants digestive system and it will pass through, but can cause the child gas pains and discomfort.

God gave the human body many unique functions to help. Burping is something that helps the digestive system greatly and is a natural human function meaning God made us that way.

Cursing on the other hand is an optional choice in language. Unfortunately, some children in this world learning to talk learn filthy language from their parents so they aren't aware of the words they are using. Then sometimes parents wonder why their child is cursing even when they have cursed around them. At a point in my life where I used bad language - I used it out of habit because everyone else said those words and I assumed they were "cool". However, I felt so disgraceful when I said those words even if friends seemed to be entertained with the language I was using. I noticed that some people didn't respect me as much when I talked that way. I eventually stopped - it was hard, but I had stopped. There will be times when I get angry or upset and want to let a curse word slip, but try not to. Clearly, God did not design us to curse and use filthy language, but language that honored Him. We have free choice to use whatever language we choose, and I do believe the best free choice we can make is not to say anything that may dishonor God 3nodding Also, using this language can cause others to fall. If we are in a public place where families go together and use that type of language - what type of message are we giving off to others about ourselves? Not a good one. Families don't often want to go somewhere with their kids where people are using filthy language.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 am
Aquatic_blue
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl
So, burping is a sin?

Burping does not correlate with filthy language. Burping is a natural human reaction - a natural human reaction that God created within us because it is useful to our digestive system.

Generally burping is swallowed air. A person swallows air mostly when eating or drinking. If enough air is swallowed, it can cause gas pains and cause a person to feel bloated. Most people have experienced drinking a can of soda with a meal and feeling unbelievably bloated until they were able to burp and they felt a whole lot better because of that release in pressure in the digestive system.

Burping is an important function for infants because they aren't able to burp without the help of someone trying to burp them. After feeding, it's important, because that swallowed air can stay trapped inside an infants digestive system and it will pass through, but can cause the child gas pains and discomfort.

God gave the human body many unique functions to help. Burping is something that helps the digestive system greatly and is a natural human function meaning God made us that way.

Cursing on the other hand is an optional choice in language. Unfortunately, some children in this world learning to talk learn filthy language from their parents so they aren't aware of the words they are using. Then sometimes parents wonder why their child is cursing even when they have cursed around them. At a point in my life where I used bad language - I used it out of habit because everyone else said those words and I assumed they were "cool". However, I felt so disgraceful when I said those words even if friends seemed to be entertained with the language I was using. I noticed that some people didn't respect me as much when I talked that way. I eventually stopped - it was hard, but I had stopped. There will be times when I get angry or upset and want to let a curse word slip, but try not to. Clearly, God did not design us to curse and use filthy language, but language that honored Him. We have free choice to use whatever language we choose, and I do believe the best free choice we can make is not to say anything that may dishonor God 3nodding Also, using this language can cause others to fall. If we are in a public place where families go together and use that type of language - what type of message are we giving off to others about ourselves? Not a good one. Families don't often want to go somewhere with their kids where people are using filthy language.
You're missing my point. It's not sinful just because "it doesn't glorify God." You want people to see the glory of God? Stop sitting around in your plastic home, staying tight nit to your comfort clique, and doing everything society tells you is normal. Go out and help people, volunteer your time, give money to those who need it.

The truth is that when people see you actively doing good things, they tend to forget this vestigial bushido code of honor we set up in our society. So what, your dropped a can on your toe and screamed the F word while donating to the homeless shelter? No one will care when they see all you gave, because instead of sitting at home playing hear no evil, see no evil, you actually did something good.

We focus far too much on the most superficial, self-constructed nonsense that we think that keeping ourselves from the rest of the world is what we're called to do.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 pm
False Dichotomy
Aquatic_blue
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl
So, burping is a sin?

You're missing my point. It's not sinful just because "it doesn't glorify God." You want people to see the glory of God? Stop sitting around in your plastic home, staying tight nit to your comfort clique, and doing everything society tells you is normal. Go out and help people, volunteer your time, give money to those who need it.

The truth is that when people see you actively doing good things, they tend to forget this vestigial bushido code of honor we set up in our society. So what, your dropped a can on your toe and screamed the F word while donating to the homeless shelter? No one will care when they see all you gave, because instead of sitting at home playing hear no evil, see no evil, you actually did something good.

We focus far too much on the most superficial, self-constructed nonsense that we think that keeping ourselves from the rest of the world is what we're called to do.

Selfless service to the community around us is part of the basics, yes; that selfless service extends to what comes out of our mouths. Getting rid of vulgarities and hateful attitudes is in and of itself a service to others: you're not subjecting another person to profane, abusive language, whether they're your close buddy or not. Nobody should have to listen to obscene speech (it doesn't help them in any way, if anything it might crush someone's spirit, Proverbs 15:4, in a way that doesn't lead to repentance, and keep them tied to fruitless, worldly ways).

It has no place in the mouth of a Christian. If a Christian slips up, then they should apologize immediately to those around them because we don't know if somebody around us has (1) been verbally abused with those words (2) a short temper and be prompted to wrath (thus bringing trouble unto ourselves and innocent others) (3) a sensitive heart and be really crushed by what you said even if it wasn't directed at them. If we're really caring about those around us, it's not just expressed by meeting their physical needs, but by taking these things into consideration. Of course, we should also apologize to God for speaking carelessly.

If we don't care to this extent, not only does it show a lack of care towards what God says in his word, but it fails to take the totality of these people's well-being into consideration; it's not just about external things like feeding the stomach and clothing the naked, but equally as important is what we say and how we say it—that's both an Old and New Testament truth, no excuses—and it should be godly, edifying information.

It doesn't matter if people approve of us cursing or not. We live honorably in the sight of God first and foremost. This has absolutely nothing to do with society telling us what's normal or not; we don't live by the world, but by every word that comes out of the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4). What the law, prophets, Jesus and his apostles taught usually do not agree with the ways of world. If you're equating "stigma against cursing" as something that comes from the world, you have things a bit twisted: it's in most secular entertainment, people laugh at it approvingly (it's rare to find comedians that don't), it's in our memes and internet slang. The world applauds its use despite it being used in degrading, condescending, and abusive ways. Scripture is the one speaking against this kind of language, not society/the world.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:41 pm
real eyes realize
False Dichotomy
Aquatic_blue
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl
So, burping is a sin?

Selfless service to the community around us is part of the basics, yes; that selfless service extends to what comes out of our mouths. Getting rid of vulgarities and hateful attitudes is in and of itself a service to others: you're not subjecting another person to profane, abusive language, whether they're your close buddy or not. Nobody should have to listen to obscene speech (it doesn't help them in any way, if anything it might crush someone's spirit, Proverbs 15:4, in a way that doesn't lead to repentance and keep them tied to fruitless, worldly ways).

It has no place in the mouth of a Christian. If a Christian slips up, then they should apologize immediately to those around them because we don't know if somebody around us has (1) been verbally abused with those words (2) a short temper and be prompted to wrath (thus bringing trouble unto ourselves and innocent others) (3) a sensitive heart and be really crushed by what you said even if it wasn't directed at them. If we're really caring about those around us, it's not just expressed by meeting their physical needs, but by taking these things into consideration. Of course, we should also apologize to God for speaking carelessly.

If we don't care to this extent, not only does it show a lack of care towards what God says in his word, but it fails to take the totality of these people's well-being into consideration; it's not just about external things like feeding the stomach and clothing the naked, but equally as important is what we say and how we say it—that's both an Old and New Testament truth, no excuses—and it should be godly, edifying information.

It doesn't matter if people approve of us cursing or not. We live honorably in the sight of God first and foremost. This has absolutely nothing to do with society telling us what's normal or not; we don't live by the world, but by every word that comes out of the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4). What the law, prophets, Jesus and his apostles taught usually do not agree with the ways of world. If you're equating "stigma against cursing" as something that comes from the world, you have things a bit twisted: it's in most secular entertainment, people laugh at it approvingly (it's rare to find comedians that don't), it's in our memes and internet slang. The world applauds its use despite it being used in degrading, condescending, and abusive ways. Scripture is the one speaking against this kind of language, not society/the world.
Forget it, nobody gets it. Story of my life, nobody understands a word I say.  
Questions & Answers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff