Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Sermons
Scared Name or Witchcraft Part 1 by Pastor Mike Hoggard

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 pm
Scared Name or Witchcraft?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 am
It's unfortunate that some people adopt a superstitious-use of the Hebrew names. All languages will cease one day (1 Cor 13:8 ), so people are making too much of a big deal about language as if it were a salvation issue. As long as you're not calling out to Baal or Artemis or what have you, using just a simple translation of his name as it appears in the bible (original manuscripts or translations), it doesn't matter. That goes for people on both sides of the fence: Hebrew roots movement and the bashers of the Hebrew roots movement: Yeshua [1][2][3] appears in the concordance, as does YHWH [1][2][3]. They're not blasphemous nor occult words—they're just as respectful as Jesus or Jehovah.

Quote:
Revelation 5:9 (NIV)

9 And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.

People from all nations and languages will be looking unto the Son and not every one of them is going to call out to him in Hebrew (though I do have a preference for the Hebrew myself). Satan always takes a good thing, makes a group of people go extreme with it, so then it reflects badly on the whole. Those with a preference for the Hebrew names are innocent casualties getting lumped together with the superstitious ones.

But this is where Hoggard just gets prejudicial: I have heard Jim Staley's sermons before and he does not say, "people who use the english/greek 'Jesus' are going to hell", in fact I've heard Staley himself use the name Jesus. Hoggard is coming across as a xenophobe (especially when he says, "I don't have a clue what that says" @24:13-28 , but continues to make a case that it's evil; it's paleo-hebrew btw ) it's not a surprising trait considering the geography of the United States; we had a hard enough time adjusting to our Spanish-speaking neighbors (and even though I was born here, my whole family comes from Latin countries, some mixed with European roots, and thus Spanish was the first language I learned so I for one have no problem against looking at other languages, especially original ones), but Hebrew from the middle east, where Jesus was born, is apparently just too much and too far away for Hoggard. Hopefully this hatred for all things Jewish will boil over. But there's a bit of hypocrisy here: Hoggard mentioned his Jewish acquaintance, who uses Yeshua, Elohim, etc... and he "excused" it because she's Jewish; apparently it's ok for her, but not for a Gentile? Double standard there, and it's un-biblical. No one's going to hell for refusing to learn Hebrew, likewise, learning Hebrew isn't cult-ish. It's great that Hoggard is defending the former, but he shouldn't falsely accuse nor demoralize the latter.

Another negative aspect of this mess: who knows how many people are being discouraged from studying the Hebraic language—that makes up the majority of the bible—just because some individuals have an unhealthy obsession with it (not to mention doctrinely-unsound assertions) and some other individual is expounding rhetoric against the Hebrew terms, calling it "replacement terms" instead of what it is (Hebrew), full of prejudice, generalizations and apparently outright lies. I have seen YouTube videos of individuals who associate with the "Sacred Name Movement" who do think you'll go to hell if you don't pronounce it in Hebrew (who knows if it's deliberate propaganda), but Hoggard is simply name-dropping people who are popular for researching the Hebrew language as if it's the same thing as the "Sacred Name Movement" and that's just shady behavior. So far, he's been ranting for 38 minutes and he just keeps mentioning Staley, no one else.

I clearly see the hand of Satan in this: Satan's trying to get another "We" vs. "Them" in-fighting going on. Hoggard's "toy soldier tirade" is evidence of that. He's just as guilty for falling into the trap of being divisive as these Sacred Name Movement people are. Satan is using them both (Hebrew-only VS KJV-only). You're all brothers in Christ / Messiah. sigh~ I might watch the rest of the hour later, but it doesn't sound promising.

side note: I don't know how he got "pagan feast" out of Acts 12:4 when clearly Acts 12:3 is referring to Passover (yes, in the KJV too) and the Greek word for Easter in Acts 12:4 is "pashcha"; he has a superstitious loyalty to the KJV, as if the KJV English is more accurate than the Hebrew or Greek (ironic razz ). He says it around the 18:13 mark.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am
Finished watching it: though I agree with the details he's exposing about the "Sacred Name Movement" (kabbalah, elemental invocation, jewish fables, over-emphasizing the importance of pronouncing his name in a certain language, etc...) , he's twisting the truth in certain areas. Those genuinely studying the Hebrew are not necessarily diving into Jewish Mysticism; nor is doing things the way Jesus and Paul did them make you a Judaizer. There is a lot of overlap between what the Sacred Name Movement believes and what anyone studying the Hebrew of the bible will conclude, just like Kabbalists who claim to be "Jewish" and in worship of "YHWH" (but they don't, they worship self and secret knowledge); put another way, "the Sacred Name movement" is taking his Hebrew name in vain, like a lot of Christian cults do with the english Jesus/LORD. Hoggard is failing to separate the two and he ended up twisting some things:

- Malachi 1:6-13 refers to the Levites offering unholy sacrifices—crippled, diseased, injured animals—and thereby they've defiled his table, by putting unworthy sacrifices before him. It's not talking about Jewish people twisting scripture nor is it referring to the bread on the table, but the meat that was on the table: sacrifices were placed before YHWH (Eze 44:15-16), unless it's a burnt offering, the sinner does eat part of the meat with the priest, they share a meal (Deuteronomy 27:7; Leviticus 7:14-15). The Israelites were holding back the best of their flock, giving YHWH the crappy, blemished, unperfect sacrifices and YHWH wasn't having that. He demands a perfect sacrifice.

In verse 14, Hoggard makes the argument that because they accuse YHWH's word of being corrupted (and that's not even what the text is saying), YHWH is going to give his name to the Gentiles. First of all, Hoggard admits that the translators replaced YHWH with "LORD", so he agrees that his name is YHWH; so if YHWH is giving his name to the Gentiles, doesn't it make sense that Gentiles would want to refer to him as YHWH? But that's not what the text is saying. Other instances where YHWH says the Gentiles will fear me/my name, in the manner that it is used in Malachi 1:14, he's talking about bringing destruction upon the Israelites and having the Gentiles witness the Israelites' destruction or restoration, and as a result they'll be in awe of YHWH (respect/fear his name). Why? Because he promised to desolate the Israelites and restore them; when YHWH keeps his promises (his prophecies), the Gentiles see evidence that he's a God that keeps his words and that he's real. They'll say "oh, I guess he really meant what he said; he really is Holy, he exacts judgment for profaning his name, but still has mercy", chapters such as Ezekiel 39 illustrate this concept.

- People who study the Hebrew—not just the individuals who belong to the Sacred Name Movement—do have a biblical reason for thinking YHWH wants Gentiles to learn his name, not just an honorific title (so Hoggard should stop saying it's not in the text, when actually it is). To reiterate: Hoggard, by his own admittance, agrees that the translators replaced "YHWH" with the word "LORD"; so if he acknowledges that, then Jeremiah 12:16, talking about Gentiles, should read: "And if they learn well the ways of my people and swear by my name, saying, 'As surely as [YHWH] lives'--even as they once taught my people to swear by Baal--then they will be established among my people. ". Since Baal is just an honorific title which means "lord", that's where people get this idea of "the language is important".

The actual point, however, is to stop holding foreign Gods in esteem. Granted, this is talking about a past exile, advising Gentiles who wanted to return alongside the Israelites to their inheritance (the land YHWH promised them) once the time of their exile came to an end. You can apply this principle to returning to the Garden from which all humanity has been exiled; learning the ways of Jesus/Yeshua is learning the ways of his people. Jesus was a Jew. Paul was a Jew. Christianity is based on Jesus and his apostle's teachings. It's all inherently Jewish. So yes, you can say the "doctrine" of the Sacred Name movement does come from the bible if you pay attention to the Hebrew, but the emphasis of the verse is not on articulating his name in a specific language, but turning your attention and loyalty to the God of the Israelites. For some reason, Hoggard has no problem with the concordance for the rapture/harpazo/translation, but he does with this? /)_-'

- Hoggard gives "Witchcraft" the wrong definition, it's not just speaking certain words because you think they have power (that's the cultural definition): the biblical definition of witchcraft is the worship of creation, using creation to divine the future and harness "power" instead of relying on what YHWH revealed in his word. Hoggard , by his own definition, might as well call the bible a "spellbook" because it teaches you how to pray and use your words, it tells us YHWH is powerful enough to manifest something into existence just by speaking words (he's practically calling YHWH a witch/warlock by his own definition). Witchcraft is idolatry, worship of your human self (creation), worship of the moon/sun/stars/cosmic alignments (also creation), it is sorcery (potions - mixture of YHWH's creation), harnessing the power of evil spirits (another one of his creations) instead of relying on him and what he chooses to reveal.

- Around @1:29:11 - he's basically saying ignore the Old Testament and don't use it to interpret the New Testament—even though that's exactly what Jesus, John, Luke, Matthew, Peter and Paul did. Quoting prophecies and godly principles from the Old to teach the New. Since it is God's word, he's not going to contradict what the Old Testament said; why is he so afraid of studying the Torah? (the first five books of Moses; the first five books of the bible) emotion_facepalm and he just put words in Paul's mouth, never did he say "for we speak plainly, not as Moses" (@1:33:55) Quite the opposite, YHWH spoke plainly to Moses, just like Yeshua spoke plainly to his inner circle of disciples, but not to everyone else (Nm 12:8; Jn 16:29). I don't see a single instance where Moses deliberately obscured his message in parables, just like the apostles kept it clear. Where is he getting that from?

Essentially, I don't disagree with his judgment against the Sacred Name Movement, but he's twisting truth, twisting scripture, and involving people who aren't a part of that movement (thus destroying reputations), just to prove a point. I think this is all spawning out of an obstinate attitude towards the KJV as "infallible" because people who are studying the Hebrew are exposing paganism and the easter thing—among other unholy Babylonian practices that Christianity as a whole has been using to worship YHWH. "YHWH" originated from scripture—not the Zohar; I don't appreciate Hoggard trying to insinuate that the tetragrammaton comes from the Zohar when he openly admitted that yes indeed the tetragrammaton is found in the bible; if he knows the truth, he shouldn't keep trying to imply that it came from Jewish mystics.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm
real eyes realize
It's unfortunate that some people adopt a superstitious-use of the Hebrew names. All languages will cease one day (1 Cor 13:8 ), so people are making too much of a big deal about language as if it were a salvation issue. As long as you're not calling out to Baal or Artemis or what have you, using just a simple translation of his name as it appears in the bible (original manuscripts or translations), it doesn't matter. That goes for people on both sides of the fence: Hebrew roots movement and the bashers of the Hebrew roots movement: Yeshua [1][2][3] appears in the concordance, as does YHWH [1][2][3]. They're not blasphemous nor occult words—they're just as respectful as Jesus or Jehovah.

Quote:
Revelation 5:9 (NIV)

9 And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.

People from all nations and languages will be looking unto the Son and not every one of them is going to call out to him in Hebrew (though I do have a preference for the Hebrew myself). Satan always takes a good thing, makes a group of people go extreme with it, so then it reflects badly on the whole. Those with a preference for the Hebrew names are innocent casualties getting lumped together with the superstitious ones.

But this is where Hoggard just gets prejudicial: I have heard Jim Staley's sermons before and he does not say, "people who use the english/greek 'Jesus' are going to hell", in fact I've heard Staley himself use the name Jesus. Hoggard is coming across as a xenophobe (especially when he says, "I don't have a clue what that says" @24:13-28 , but continues to make a case that it's evil; it's paleo-hebrew btw ) it's not a surprising trait considering the geography of the United States; we had a hard enough time adjusting to our Spanish-speaking neighbors (and even though I was born here, my whole family comes from Latin countries, some mixed with European roots, and thus Spanish was the first language I learned so I for one have no problem against looking at other languages, especially original ones), but Hebrew from the middle east, where Jesus was born, is apparently just too much and too far away for Hoggard. Hopefully this hatred for all things Jewish will boil over. But there's a bit of hypocrisy here: Hoggard mentioned his Jewish acquaintance, who uses Yeshua, Elohim, etc... and he "excused" it because she's Jewish; apparently it's ok for her, but not for a Gentile? Double standard there, and it's un-biblical. No one's going to hell for refusing to learn Hebrew, likewise, learning Hebrew isn't cult-ish. It's great that Hoggard is defending the former, but he shouldn't falsely accuse nor demoralize the latter.

Another negative aspect of this mess: who knows how many people are being discouraged from studying the Hebraic language—that makes up the majority of the bible—just because some individuals have an unhealthy obsession with it (not to mention doctrinely-unsound assertions) and some other individual is expounding rhetoric against the Hebrew terms, calling it "replacement terms" instead of what it is (Hebrew), full of prejudice, generalizations and apparently outright lies. I have seen YouTube videos of individuals who associate with the "Sacred Name Movement" who do think you'll go to hell if you don't pronounce it in Hebrew (who knows if it's deliberate propaganda), but Hoggard is simply name-dropping people who are popular for researching the Hebrew language as if it's the same thing as the "Sacred Name Movement" and that's just shady behavior. So far, he's been ranting for 38 minutes and he just keeps mentioning Staley, no one else.

I clearly see the hand of Satan in this: Satan's trying to get another "We" vs. "Them" in-fighting going on. Hoggard's "toy soldier tirade" is evidence of that. He's just as guilty for falling into the trap of being divisive as these Sacred Name Movement people are. Satan is using them both (Hebrew-only VS KJV-only). You're all brothers in Christ / Messiah. sigh~ I might watch the rest of the hour later, but it doesn't sound promising.

side note: I don't know how he got "pagan feast" out of Acts 12:4 when clearly Acts 12:3 is referring to Passover (yes, in the KJV too) and the Greek word for Easter in Acts 12:4 is "pashcha"; he has a superstitious loyalty to the KJV, as if the KJV English is more accurate than the Hebrew or Greek (ironic razz ). He says it around the 18:13 mark.

Passover and Easter dilema The link you provide even points the same thing out..."Easter"  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 pm
Hamul

Passover and Easter dilema The link you provide even points the same thing out..."Easter"

Yes, I agree with that. It is referring to the Christian passover; Yeshua ascribed a new meaning to the passover and commanded them to keep it. Passover hasn't been done away with. That's not what I'm arguing against: Hoggard is saying "Easter" in Acts 12:4 is referring to a pagan feast. I'm saying it's not referring to a pagan feast, but the passover. Hence, my confusion as to why he's slapping "pagan" all over that verse.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm
real eyes realize
Hamul

Yes, I agree with that. It is referring to the Christian passover; Yeshua ascribed a new meaning to the passover and commanded them to keep it. Passover hasn't been done away with. That's not what I'm arguing against: Hoggard is saying "Easter" in Acts 12:4 is referring to a pagan feast. I'm saying it's not referring to a pagan feast, but the passover. Hence, my confusion as to why he's slapping "pagan" all over that verse.

Oh okay. I didn't realize he said that(No pun intended) Lol. I'll look it over again. See I have the same problems with him at times. He means well, but he often times oversimplifies verses or misses the point and covers himself over with superstitions.  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100