Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Is it a sin to have an alter ego? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zychro Pierce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm
Hey everyone,

My question deals with alter egos. Not just any alter-ego but one that's helpful, kind with no evil qualities. Is it a sin to have an alter-ego?

Say you have two avatars on Gaia. When you sign on the website, one of them is you- completely and positively you. The way you talk, think, feel, etc.

While the other avatar you sign into is still you but a different gender. All their qualities are the same and intact as the original person but...just a different gender. But it's not just gender... you feel like a different character in a way because you're signed in as a different avatar gender... like you're still the same person but in a different body (opposite gender).

Does that make sense?

Having described that, would it still be a sin, if at all?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm
That's... not something you need to worry about. ^^ I mean, I suppose it could be a problem if you deliberately set out to fool and encourage and tempt people, but it's just another log-in online. More to the point, basically everyone should be aware that avatars are not trustworthy evidence of a person's real gender and should never be regarded as such.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Zychro Pierce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 pm
Rednal
That's... not something you need to worry about. ^^ I mean, I suppose it could be a problem if you deliberately set out to fool and encourage and tempt people, but it's just another log-in online. More to the point, basically everyone should be aware that avatars are not trustworthy evidence of a person's real gender and should never be regarded as such.

So it's not really considered a sin? Even if they make it clear that they are originally 'this' type of gender and simply an 'OC' (basically 'OC' means original character that's commonly used for roleplays and such. )  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 pm
This sounds like a gender disorder if I understand correctly. I mean, if you are playing pretend it might not be a sin. Playing pretend is role-playing/acting.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

cottagedoll

Business Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 pm
I agree, it shouldn't be a problem smile In my Interpersonal Comm class we are going over the many selves a person has depending on the situation or the people around them. It is just kind of like wearing a suit to an interview. The normal you probably would never wear a suit but in that context you would. That does not mean that you are any different in regards to your core beliefs and values though. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am
It would really depend on if you wish to tempt/fool people to believe you are some one your not. But if you are just doing it and being honest who you are it should be fine, but i dont understand, why a different gender?  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 am
I noticed the same thing when I would log into my mule accounts. I don't feel right posting with a male avatar (now that I'm saved) because I'm not roleplaying, I'm just having conversations as myself and I am female; I feel like people might be deceived, even if just for a second, since the avatar is not some crazy-looking, gender-ambiguous character. It's realistically dressed like a guy. And even though I do say my correct gender/sex on my profile, my avatar displays something different. Bottom-line: if you have doubts about whether this is sin or not and still do it, it is sin.

This verse is about eating, but the principle is the same:

Quote:
Romans 14:23 (NIV)

23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[a]

Footnotes:

a. Romans 14:23 Some manuscripts place 16:25-27 here; others after 15:33.

As for the behavior itself, I have a theory: it's like we're slipping back into that childhood behavior of playing with dolls and action figures. We tend to give a voice to "characters", whether they're pixelized or physical plastic in our hands. Obviously, it's not us, but we talk as if we were the doll. It would be wrong if you went around convincing people that this is your personality if it's not; I think certain images make a person act differently (just like art or the wall color of your room, it can change your mood; so imagine an avatar that constantly undergoes changes). The solution to that would be: make the avatar reflect your actual sex and personality.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:42 pm
Thank you all for your insight and help!  

Zychro Pierce

Zychro Pierce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 pm
real eyes realize
I noticed the same thing when I would log into my mule accounts. I don't feel right posting with a male avatar (now that I'm saved) because I'm not roleplaying, I'm just having conversations as myself and I am female; I feel like people might be deceived, even if just for a second, since the avatar is not some crazy-looking, gender-ambiguous character. It's realistically dressed like a guy. And even though I do say my correct gender/sex on my profile, my avatar displays something different. Bottom-line: if you have doubts about whether this is sin or not and still do it, it is sin.

This verse is about eating, but the principle is the same:

Quote:
Romans 14:23 (NIV)

23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[a]

Footnotes:

a. Romans 14:23 Some manuscripts place 16:25-27 here; others after 15:33.

As for the behavior itself, I have a theory: it's like we're slipping back into that childhood behavior of playing with dolls and action figures. We tend to give a voice to "characters", whether they're pixelized or physical plastic in our hands. Obviously, it's not us, but we talk as if we were the doll. It would be wrong if you went around convincing people that this is your personality if it's not; I think certain images make a person act differently (just like art or the wall color of your room, it can change your mood; so imagine an avatar that constantly undergoes changes). The solution to that would be: make the avatar reflect your actual sex and personality.

This has greatly cleared some things that I've been battling internally. Thank you for referencing Scripture. It means a lot since I value the Word as pure Truth.

I think I'll regard the avatar as a fictional character in a fictional story that I plan on writing. I do feel as if I'm balanced in both genders if that makes sense. Which is why I switch from either female to male avatars. I feel comfortable but I've been sensing lately that I may be deceiving others purely on being a different gender and nothing else. Would it be better to simply type in my signature [so that users in forums can see] that I am female despite the male avatar that is displayed as well as to type the same thing on my profile?

Would that clear me of potential sin?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm
Servant Reborn
This sounds like a gender disorder if I understand correctly. I mean, if you are playing pretend it might not be a sin. Playing pretend is role-playing/acting.

Yes, I'm pretending to be the opposite gender even though I feel comfortable doing so. But it is only the gender that I'm 'roleplaying in'. My intentions are not to manipulate anyone or mislead anyone that I'm a guy especially if I state in both profile and signature that I am otherwise.

Is it healthy in God's eyes to roleplay every now and then? Is it deception in a way but only with regards to being a different gender?  

Zychro Pierce

i r i d e s s i c a n c e

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Zychro Pierce
Hey everyone,

My question deals with alter egos. Not just any alter-ego but one that's helpful, kind with no evil qualities. Is it a sin to have an alter-ego?

Say you have two avatars on Gaia. When you sign on the website, one of them is you- completely and positively you. The way you talk, think, feel, etc.

While the other avatar you sign into is still you but a different gender. All their qualities are the same and intact as the original person but...just a different gender. But it's not just gender... you feel like a different character in a way because you're signed in as a different avatar gender... like you're still the same person but in a different body (opposite gender).

Does that make sense?

I believe the only way it would be a sin is if you lie intentionally about it on purpose to make people actually think you are opposite gender. If you are being yourself, just a different gender in a mule account, it's fine. Disquising your appearance is one thing, because you can still be yourself. Tricking others on purpose to believe in it would be. But, I honestly think you'll be fine. Especially like others have said with the rpg.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 pm
Zychro Pierce
Hey everyone,

Does that make sense?

I have to say this but I can apply it to myself...
A double-minded man is not stable in his ways.
To be declared also not a liar or a liar... such is as continence sees.
I cannot quote scripture on this knowing my mind was shattered.
But also it does say homosexuality is condemned in the bible...
Yet something here does not to me say that is the point.
The point is one can be a cross dresser willingly or not know it.
Based on those two perspectives my friend.
It is indeed one's own heart as one does not mix nature of transgressions.

It is no sin to say, this man thinks this way because he is around a group of people unless they are to commit wrong by choice or a man knew the choices he had, but not to know one's own character also leaves the man vulnerable to understanding and the willing corruption of others.

I hung around girls when I was younger? Does that make a man a girl or any less of a guy, or dogmatic?

No it does not but the habits one picks up will address much more than the mind but also to be clarified among the right or the wrong.

A will is at the heart of a man and the true core of those within themselves and they see or do not see. Knowing though a man's insanity does not act, it is within the mind.

If a double minded man stumbles what will pick him up besides his innocence and that choice of his action unless known? If his intentions were good not to harm truly but a man sought after for another or to prevent, that also of doing one or the other decides a man's choice or action of a result and cause.

For example, here I apply this to myself in a manner. I tried to go after someone or those who bought something if they known or not, to ask why did they have this because a situation occurred and it became a fashion to copy. Well had I bought it with my own money, and someone calls the police, did I know about the intention of my own before the criminals or so did the crime?
If so I was researching in my mind a disaster which had not struck, so be it.
Know there was many who think this was a game and it is no game.

A man was tortured of his conditions but also the man wanted to prevent something he could not. But in upper hands of mercy they let him go knowing the man did not think violence in his heart but had a compassion.
Because of a man a man was spared but also got his money back? Did that make the man who bought such insane or was he sane?

It is the mentality of the individual knowing also that a man shows more by his thought of actions with the background and outcome in which one perceived it as a mystery.

Yes, if people knew the face of this were in your Halloween shop, I do indeed betray that of the A-names not to speak of. But did I follow them because they were bad? No I did not.

I wanted to track some people for questioning just an answer which got me there in the first place? = Why?

Ever since then was it those people the Anonymous who screwed up my life or was it that of a copycat. Chances are high a copy cat or them, but it is a mystery that the rebels who went after such also died some an innocent and others not.

There was not an innocent man among those who killed but that which did no crime or tried to commit with wrong thought in his heart.

I do not go against science as a study of past, no. I go against it knowing that people confront it to that of evolution and think everything is clearly physical. Such also the deep mind and soul could see within and past if the person cared or tried. Or perhaps the man was blessed not to be a part of the truth.

Yes, a man's lie within or influenced thought, they lead a man astray. But knowing what I had been through... Perhaps gave him an understanding also, that the slaughtering of the wicked and the good is an abomination.

Know that the wrath of God is not for man to poor unto another man though I blasted the satanic or that of which was a mix who did wrong similar to the slaughters or wrongness of the individuals concerned.

What I did as they tried to torture me about such corruption or the cult of scientology, indeed I had found out news that happened before but it had indeed if still going on could have been stopped. As far as those who copy or those that broke down of it, they are weak if the groups did not know one another.

If so anonymous stated there is no actual leadership, then it became a hate towards that also of others knowing such is capable of every man.

I denied to be such a stupid man to follow that which took place in Russia or that of Germany a past. I went not against the hacker generation III but I had gone against that of the I and the II.

Knowing such a case is fact or fiction there were those who tormented or influenced others among wrong principles. And I told myself in my research though that did happen. I ask myself greater questions and this,

Who I was or what I believe. If so there were a righteous among them, though also my intent was to track but not harm a man. Understand the tracking may sound wrong, but others do not know that I destroyed something or not, and the stuff is just out there for the free willing of the public to take it all and begin more of a mess.

What people subscribed to on Youtube... it will be a threat knowing that communistic or that of a dictatorship for an oblivious people.
Only those who could piece history together and or knew them would understand.

What the rebel 5 were, that man the agency that was a leader led the progression of such acts and knowing the stupidity of people younger or myself in a manipulation of intolerance.

Note they could not understand that they did not screw up my life like they had wished. But they followed a man to tease him on his relations. If so also that is so sweet in my forum post that nobody understands, understand this...

That man who they showed, on YouTube of the rebel 5 should have been put on death row.

I knew the pictures of the past compared with that of a 5 year time span or so unlike that of the elders who knew much more the conspiracy but would not explain it to me. Now I was put a pawn in the mess?

I think not but if such was of those Anon-Ops I want them to show their characters knowing they are not afraid to fall.

People became careless and let them use twitter and other things for a communication means. Yet there will be a point that a world of technological superpowers will crumble by their acts within.

These groups Anonymous...

I knew of the pirates.
I knew of the hacker III
I knew of AntiSec similar to that of HecSec...

Seriously, there is so much to state here though I was no where near the mess and the government will fall by Russia and Germany continuing this threats or motivational speeches.

Just like the politics they cover everything up.
The real Anonymous would be somewhere around as an elder of the admin.

The anonymous I knew had an HBO headquarters in Germany.
The anonymous I knew also that of Argentina for it was the first...

I questioned the time the media knew everything before the government but hid away the truth from its people or that of leaders who did right, though I listen to two sides of a coin.

If such be this the case, there was a conspiracy generation IV for the younger knowing that in a land of 500 compared to 5000 years of timeline if not more, there would be trouble.

If so the Voice even could have been of the Dutch and an Actor by now. I had pictures of this evidence which was lost and that is because the government is handling the situations as each thing being stupid though is censored by surveys. Yes that is good and bad.

Free weapons and source destroying tools knowing I had a program with the actual face of their harm on it. I was a tester anon but I would not hurt like they or many.

I tried to send an apologetic letter to who ever it was to and the admin took it off.

I tried to warn people after I knew what had happened before they spreaded the messages on youtube and got rid of some.

There were arguments a man got into besides me.

There was also... real history the truth I put together. No I had to dig deeper than this and figure out more relating to Nazism and the Soviet.

Did I agree with this? No I did not. I cannot blame myself for rebels who committed a crime, that of 9000+ but also 82,000 or more supporters.

To understand much gave me insight but they only brought sadness.
My pastor cried when I told him.

I told him this, technology and such though used as a tool will never replace the Will of my Lord... meaning a God unknown regardless if Jesus or Allah or whoever is called grandfather in the sky.

These Russian Rebels who led the FBI also deserve to be put on death row for the corruption of many and also that of a nation which joined them.

The Satanic rebels and that of cults was involved but they would follow anyone, as some also believed if any in Christ's love for right reason.

Was this a war of all wars so be it... If they come to my land, or do anything of such, a rebel 5, know that their own people will turn against them.

But if such had no leader then explain to me though the rebel 5 were there of many people. It is those rebels or some of the 5 who did not die.

That man who showed a video or operation in taking over the government. I will let him have his wish because the situation was out of my hands.

Yet a traitor or also a hero in some manner, I would not betray what I grew up with over that power which so called is a government that does not care for its people.

Most people do not even know because my statements are too long. I have my reasons because this is as I am in certain cases or matters.

Those who did die... the cult or satanic I had nothing against but the first and the second generation, that of my grandparents to that of the parent.

The rebel 5 or the man whose name they mentioned in a youtube video was a rebel who fought not for the right of his own country but gain. And if he did so be it his reward for fighting and mass murder of a lot of people.

In my state if this man were caught while others welcome rebels as a war hero, know I never fought in a war.

When I hear things like US government take over, is that a game to me? No it is not.

Anonymous the hackers though use viruses and these stupid domain killing tools. Note this...

From that of Russia to Germany who distributes the tools to the common note also I knew your ways also to navigate. Though it is tough in a land.

Thankfully people are being people, and not that of a lost will. They ignore this as they will the rebel 5 actually make any sense along with hackers but they were called not a threat?

I am sure their is a higher international board watching this situation. And trust me it is not good a situation if there is no board watching this case.

Surely I will understand some things and not others. But know this...
As the works of them were scattered on the internet or they are free tools, Cyber security must be done but not the cut of it.

I would know this as some also are just anon to be anon regarding the names due to all the identity theft. So what if they stole may name and account. They knew not a suffering though also they have no heart the real.

If so they actually knew a man, I had to help support and not support at the same time. It was a regret knowing their networks now have grown due to the strength of popularity over that which is right.

My involvement in Anon Ops though I found the tools, understand I destroyed that of the I-III because I was a tester and only actually one worked by itself and did calateral damage. Know this that any fool would use the output of the weapon type DDOS.

I had the first of the one with the actual but I destroyed it as the works were captured. I tore it up anonymous. Surly because you have hackers and programmers working for you, people could do a lot better than that with option.

I took on a world organization that grew into many fractions and cults, that which love to kill because of the idiocy...

Do people think I write jokes or have they actually read and pieced everything together.

Like the fool to confound the wise so also the wise do so vise-versa and agreed to that a man of double-mind like that rebel is unstable in his ways.

That of what he did, I understood but I take no responsibility for what he broke as a law and whatever this SOPA, and or ACTA is... please explain it as this has got to stop somewhere.

When it comes to the operations of them, I think people are stupid in how they handle it.

Yes I betrayed Anon, cause I actually did not say F-the-system like they, oh no... I actually loved my name and will use it with a meaning.

Yes they can steal names. But they do not have a person or a will besides their own gain.

Yes, I am talking about technological superpowers and only those with machines or such are able to get around that of the law knowing they cannot trust their own.

That is sad how a man from far gets involved in a case that does not even concern him.

Is it a joke teasing me on relationships? Don't toy with a pure man who did nothing at all wrong and has confessed everything.

And so I hope this helps give us all insight that the battle has not yet begun though the threaten only to intimidate.

I think the nations should see themselves also let those people across the world and me apologizing to those who are good who suffer.

I knew them not but understand.  

DevilinMetamorpheus

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm
Zychro Pierce
Is it healthy in God's eyes to roleplay every now and then? Is it deception in a way but only with regards to being a different gender?

In the past, it was common for men to play female roles in plays and other entertainments. Churches seemed largely okay with this. In fact, even in modern times, plenty of churches put on plays of their own (admittedly, they usually go for same-gender characters, but still). It's fiction. The gender of the character is basically irrelevant.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm
Zychro Pierce
Servant Reborn

Yes, I'm pretending to be the opposite gender even though I feel comfortable doing so. But it is only the gender that I'm 'roleplaying in'. My intentions are not to manipulate anyone or mislead anyone that I'm a guy especially if I state in both profile and signature that I am otherwise.

Role-playing, it depends. Surely, there are role-plays which are inappropriate and can lead to sinning, but you have to ask the Lord and He will answer you. For example, I mainly play series rps. In some, I play a Christian character and use it as a platform to cite verses from scripture. In this way, I hope that the Word can touch people's hearts.

On the other hand, there is a lot of corrupt thoughts which can be found. Ultimately, one must ask the Lord. The gender of the avatar I don't find a problem. People might have the impression to believe the gender of the avatar is the same as the user, but we know this is not always true. Also, even IF you were to write "I am really this gender", no know can really know. The internet is such that people can lie about themselves, or be honest, but the outsider (other user) can't know either way..

Unless he/she met you in person, I guess.

How do I know you are really male or female? I don't. I merely put my trust that you are being honest, whether you are or not. So, I would not worry about it. But I could be wrong, so again..ask our Father. sweatdrop

Back to role-playing, it can be a tool to spread the Word, but as with all things, ask the Lord. Just like acting. Did you know stories from the Bible used to be acted out in the past?  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

kdke

Anxious Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm
I don't see any issue with it, as long as you're not going out of your way to intentionally deceive anyone.

For example, if I had a male avatar and someone said something that suggested they thought I was male, I would correct them; I wouldn't feed the misunderstanding by either condoning it or agreeing with it. Doing the latter would make me a liar, and I could very well cause distress in those I've lied to.

Role-playing, though, is a little different. I know a lot of people who do have avatars that are strictly for their role-play characters, both in appearance and gender. I used to do the same thing, and when talking OOC, I'd usually at some point tell people my actual gender when the topic came up. Is that what you're talking about?  
Questions & Answers

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff