Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Views on the idea of reincarnation?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Smexi Chex Mix

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 am
I've see quite a lot of compelling news stories and documentaries that make the idea of reincarnation seem plausible. Personally, I think it's possible, but that it doesn't happen with everyone. Possibly it only happens to people who believe or want to be reincarnated for some unknown reason?

Apparently, I heard that Christians are not supposed to believe in such things, but I was unaware of this until recently. I don't see anything wrong with it, personally. Maybe it's another form of limbo, or purgatory. Maybe, when we go to heaven, that's a choice God gives to us if we feel like we want to make a bigger impact on the world to help the living with a brand new start. All possibilities.

So, my question is, what are your views on the idea. It's not something we're told to believe in, but it's always good to keep an open mind I suppose. How do you weigh in?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 am
There are several issues with reincarnation that are incompatible with Christianity. What was then the point of Jesus death as an atonement for our sins, if we all get a number of chances after this one? Where does it leave sin, and responsibility for our actions? How about the bodily resurrection of the believer? Why would there be a need for a future judgement if we all just keep reincarnating into a state corresponding to the actions of our previous lives?

One straightforward statement that speaks directly to the idea of reincarnation is found in Hebrews 9:27-28: “And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many” Without any vague terms, the writer of Hebrews explains that the general course of man’s existence is to taste death only once, and then be judged based on the actions that were accomplished in that one life.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:19 am
Scripture tells us that, at most, people live twice and die twice, but not in the way "reincarnation" is commonly thought about. Everyone lives once at the very least. Right off the bat, there have been people who have never died, they've been "translated" to be with God (Enoch, Elijah, and those alive at his return—none of these experience death). These are special cases.

Quote:
Hebrews 11:5 (KJV)

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Other verses: {Genesis 5:21-24; 2 Kings 2:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18}

The natural, shall we say "default" setting, is to live once, die once, and wait for your resurrection—at which point, you'll be "clothed" with an immortal body (i.e. Job, David, Abraham, etc; righteous men waiting for the resurrection):

Quote:
Job 14:10-14 (KJV)

10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?

11 As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up:

12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

14 If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

Other Verses: {Luke 16:19-31; 2 Samuel 12:19-23; Hebrews 9:27; 1 Cor 15:51-54; John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15}

As read in the last two verses (which I also have as my sig at the moment), both the righteous and wicked will be resurrected (at different times as well. There are two mass resurrections coming up; Revelation 20 in its entirety goes into more detail); however, those who aren't written in the Book of Life experience the second death. The vast majority of people will be in this group:

Quote:
Revelation 20:11-15 (KJV)

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Quote:
Revelation 21:8 (KJV)

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Biblically, the concept of reincarnation to get rid of karmic debt contradicts the whole point of having our Messiah sacrifice his life. He died in like manner of the atonement sacrifices in the old testament: an innocent lamb, perfectly sinless (unblemished), our sins imputed onto him, and sacrificed to make atonement for our sins, satisfying YHWH's requirements. Reincarnation does not do that. Reincarnation renders null and void the very law he gave to the Jews in the first place—a law that Jesus abided by 100% so old testament law isn't some empty farce, it's legit: a blood sacrifice is needed for a human to be consecrated and cleaned.

Quote:
Hebrews 9:22 (NIV)

22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Verses: {1 John 1:7; Romans 3:25; Romans 5:9; Exodus 29:21}

Reincarnation puts an emphasis on "you" doing better; He says our works are like filthy rags, that we don't hold up to his standards, so there is no point in reincarnating, we achieve no good on our own (Isaiah 64:6; Romans 3:10; Psalm 14:2-3). The whole point about repenting of our sins and accepting him is not just for the atonement sacrifice, but to receive the Holy Spirit which enables us to do good, it's him working through us (Ezekiel 36:25-27; Philippians 2:13; Acts 2:38 ). There isn't any "go back to earth, and do better this lifetime around" or "go back and so I can use you some more" in scripture. He just raises up more godly people (the more lowly the better; that way people know it was YHWH's doing and the individual didn't rely on money or political connections to achieve anything). There have been, however, extensions of life (while the person is still alive) and resuscitations (person dies, comes back to life) to show off his miracles / power over death, but they stay in the same body. But now that I'm on the subject, Jesus kept the same body too when he was dressed in immortality. His disciples even poked his wounds, evidence that the body keeps the same identity.

Verses: {John 20:19-29; 2 Kings 20:1-6; 2 Kings 4:31-37; John 11:11-13, 38-43}

edit: In my opinion, people who receive visions about having past lives are receiving images from familiar spirits. These creatures are immortal, they hang around or in people, they witness family members die, they witness other humans (not related to you) die as well. People could be receiving visions from these demonic spirits. Demonically-inspired psychic abilities / demonically-inspired paranormal events do exist in scripture (i.e. Pharaoh's magicians, the soothsayer woman in Acts 16).

Quote:
Acts 16:16-18 (KJV)

16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:

17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

This is why we're told to test the spirits. The serpent is cunning; the deception is very convincing. However, if it doesn't hold up to the truth of scripture, or the manner in which YHWH approves an activity to be done, it is a demonic-deception or a demonically-inspired event.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 am
God will bring us all back to life on Judgment Day
until then, there is no reincarnation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYm2FMjZhck  

Islamic Teacher

Chewie2590

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:15 pm
The Trap  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 am
I agree completely with Garland on this. Jesus Christ died for our sins so that we may have the chance to receive the gift of eternal life.

If life was meant to be a cycle - for example, if we died, then were reincarnated on this earth as something else then where would Heaven and Hell come into play? A soul is judged by the judge of all judges - God. He decides whether a soul is to enter Heaven or Hell. There is no middle ground where we can decide after death. God has granted us free will in our physical lives, but once that time is up - it is up to God to judge how our life was lived for Him.

On this earth if we do God's work to be sent back into earth - reincarnated into something else, then what purpose would Heaven have? Even if it was a choice, if someone was reincarnated - what happens if they die? Do they get to go make the decision again and it be an endless cycle of reincarnation? We are either meant to be with God, or we aren't.

As Garland stated, Hebrews 9:27-28: “And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment..., is the perfect verse concerning this.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items