Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
spiritual gifts

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:06 pm
When people get saved aren't we supposed to get spiritual gift like healing, discernment, or exhortation, things like that. Are spiritual gifts something that you could only possibly have after being saved? And I was under the impression that it had to be something that only occurred supernaturally so there's no way other than God that you can do it. Sometimes when people find out I can draw they claim that is a spiritual gift, but that doesn't sound right, because I could do that my whole life and there's lots of non-Christians that can make really good art. Also I took a 'what's your spiritual gift' questionnaire and got administration, but the Bible doesn't really talk about that being a spiritual gift. So do spiritual gifts have to be a skill you receive in a dramatic, obvious, and miraculous way when you get saved?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Scripture is pretty clear when it says that spiritual gifts are bestowed upon us after receiving the Holy Spirit. Talents are something else completely; one doesn't need to be a Christian to have talents.

As well, when receiving spiritual gifts, we have an obligation to use them for God's glory. That's the whole point of them: to give us a part within the Body of Christ.

Administration is a spiritual gift listed by Paul in the bible:

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:27-28

NIV says "guidance," but they're one in the same.

I don't think the receiving of gifts has to be dramatic or obvious; maybe for some it is, but for me, my gifts slowly came into realization, and I didn't really notice them until others did. I think it can depend on the personality of someone, and also the level of spirituality one has.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

The Pollen Shed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 pm
apiyo
When people get saved aren't we supposed to get spiritual gift like healing, discernment, or exhortation, things like that. Are spiritual gifts something that you could only possibly have after being saved? And I was under the impression that it had to be something that only occurred supernaturally so there's no way other than God that you can do it. Sometimes when people find out I can draw they claim that is a spiritual gift, but that doesn't sound right, because I could do that my whole life and there's lots of non-Christians that can make really good art. Also I took a 'what's your spiritual gift' questionnaire and got administration, but the Bible doesn't really talk about that being a spiritual gift. So do spiritual gifts have to be a skill you receive in a dramatic, obvious, and miraculous way when you get saved?

ca adam is absolutely right.
The only listings in the Bible concerning the spiritual gifts are found in:
Rom. 12:6-8
1 Cor. 7:7
1 Cor. 12:8-10
1 Cor. 12:28
Eph. 4:11 (more or less functions, rather than gifts...)
1 Pet. 4:11

I don't think that these are necessarily the only spiritual gifts, because Scripture doesn't say that, but I think it's very dangerous to claim that something is a spiritual gift when it isn't explicitly stated in Scripture. It presupposes that one's reason/feelings are supreme to the Word of God.

That being said, every believer has a spiritual gift (1 Cor. 12:7), but no one has all of them (1 Cor. 12:12-26), and no single gift is present in every believer (1 Cor. 12:29,30).  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am
ca adam
Scripture is pretty clear when it says that spiritual gifts are bestowed upon us after receiving the Holy Spirit. Talents are something else completely; one doesn't need to be a Christian to have talents.

As well, when receiving spiritual gifts, we have an obligation to use them for God's glory. That's the whole point of them: to give us a part within the Body of Christ.

Administration is a spiritual gift listed by Paul in the bible:

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:27-28

NIV says "guidance," but they're one in the same.

I don't think the receiving of gifts has to be dramatic or obvious; maybe for some it is, but for me, my gifts slowly came into realization, and I didn't really notice them until others did. I think it can depend on the personality of someone, and also the level of spirituality one has.

This was truly enlightening! I'm kind of at that rut of being unsure as to what my spiritual gift may be. How does one come to find out? What various methods could one do, aside from praying, to figure it out? Because I would really like to use them ASAP for His glory and honor.  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

The Pollen Shed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 am
Spirit Reborn
This was truly enlightening! I'm kind of at that rut of being unsure as to what my spiritual gift may be. How does one come to find out? What various methods could one do, aside from praying, to figure it out? Because I would really like to use them ASAP for His glory and honor.

I don't know for sure. I don't recall any passages in the Bible that address that, but I've been known to be wrong. Because the spiritual gifts are intended to edify the Body, I think that it's often other believers who affirm them in us. And that makes sense because just as others can see our faults better than we can, they can also see our gifts better than we can.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 am
The Pollen Shed
Spirit Reborn

I don't know for sure. I don't recall any passages in the Bible that address that, but I've been known to be wrong. Because the spiritual gifts are intended to edify the Body, I think that it's often other believers who affirm them in us. And that makes sense because just as others can see our faults better than we can, they can also see our gifts better than we can.

Thank you for replying~
Ah, that makes sense. Perhaps I'll ask my friends in Christ. I'm a tad shy to ask my priest sweatdrop I feel as if my friends know me better anyway.
Thanks again! This is pretty helpful : )  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Ameixah7

Familiar Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am
By saved, do you mean baptized by the holy spirit? (Which is not just a water baptism). You have to be in submission to God, and repent for sins. 3nodding

How to Recieve the Holy Spirit

And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. Acts 2:1-47

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:8

And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2:4  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm
Spirit Reborn

Pollen has a good point: other Christians tend to notice the spiritual gifts of others more often than they can their own gifts; but sometimes, when you're performing a gift God gave you, you might notice. It really depends.

You could pray. Prayer is always an essential to any situation in life, right? Also, communicate with other Christians more; start helping out, and fellowship a lot. Your brothers and sisters will start to notice gifts as they begin to manifest through your spiritual growth.

God bless.

EDIT:

You can also have more than one gift, by the way. Or you may just have one. It doesn't matter, though, because whether you have one gift or more given to you by God, you will always have your place in the Body of Christ. You will always be of importance.

I know it can be difficult talking to your priest; I rarely, if ever, say "hello" to the priests at my church. Perhaps you can talk to a deacon at your church? Are you Catholic? Just curious.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 pm
ca adam
Spirit Reborn

Pollen has a good point: other Christians tend to notice the spiritual gifts of others more often than they can their own gifts; but sometimes, when you're performing a gift God gave you, you might notice. It really depends.

You could pray. Prayer is always an essential to any situation in life, right? Also, communicate with other Christians more; start helping out, and fellowship a lot. Your brothers and sisters will start to notice gifts as they begin to manifest through your spiritual growth.

God bless.

EDIT:

You can also have more than one gift, by the way. Or you may just have one. It doesn't matter, though, because whether you have one gift or more given to you by God, you will always have your place in the Body of Christ. You will always be of importance.

I know it can be difficult talking to your priest; I rarely, if ever, say "hello" to the priests at my church. Perhaps you can talk to a deacon at your church? Are you Catholic? Just curious.

Thank you..♥ that was quite an inspirational message of having importance through Him. I'll will pray more about it for sure : )
Sadly, I'm not sure what a deacon is sweatdrop I was baptized a Roman Catholic although I prefer to see myself simply as a follower of Christ with no denomination.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm
Spirit Reborn

Thank you..♥ that was quite an inspirational message of having importance through Him. I'll will pray more about it for sure : )
Sadly, I'm not sure what a deacon is sweatdrop I was baptized a Roman Catholic although I prefer to see myself simply as a follower of Christ with no denomination.

A deacon is someone who usually takes care of administration and organization in the Church. They can do a number of other things, too. But a deacon has to go through a process of being ordained as a deacon, so it's safe to assume that any deacon in your nearby parish has a strong spiritual background.

Catholics are followers of Christ, too. wink You can still take advantage of the guidance at a Catholic parish even if you don't associate yourself with any denomination. There will always be someone willing to help you out and offer answers, whether it's the parish's priest or a deacon.

I think talking to your friends is still a good idea; it's just never a bad idea to communicate with someone that has a strong spiritual foundation, too.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm
ca adam
Spirit Reborn

A deacon is someone who usually takes care of administration and organization in the Church. They can do a number of other things, too. But a deacon has to go through a process of being ordained as a deacon, so it's safe to assume that any deacon in your nearby parish has a strong spiritual background.

Catholics are followers of Christ, too. wink You can still take advantage of the guidance at a Catholic parish even if you don't associate yourself with any denomination. There will always be someone willing to help you out and offer answers, whether it's the parish's priest or a deacon.

I think talking to your friends is still a good idea; it's just never a bad idea to communicate with someone that has a strong spiritual foundation, too.

That's very true. I'll see what I can do in regards to speaking with a Deacon : )
Ahah xD; sorry, I didn't really mean that catholics aren't followers of Christ. I just don't really like all the denominations is all. To me, we're all one under God so denominations seems kind of..dividing in a way for me.

But yes, I'll definitely ask my friends too. : )  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 pm
Spirit Reborn

That's very true. I'll see what I can do in regards to speaking with a Deacon : )
Ahah xD; sorry, I didn't really mean that catholics aren't followers of Christ. I just don't really like all the denominations is all. To me, we're all one under God so denominations seems kind of..dividing in a way for me.

I was just teasing you. x3 emotion_bigheart

I totally understand your perspective on denominations. That's a whole other discussion, haha.

Anyway, I pray that you'll find what place God has planned for you in His Body.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:35 pm
ca adam
Spirit Reborn

I was just teasing you. x3 emotion_bigheart

I totally understand your perspective on denominations. That's a whole other discussion, haha.

Anyway, I pray that you'll find what place God has planned for you in His Body.

Oh emotion_facepalm , eheheh;; my bad, lol. Regardless, I'm glad to know you understand : )

And Thank you very much! I really appreciate that. ♥  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm
it says in in the bible to pray for the gift of prophecey
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/14-5.htm  

CheyenneServant

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items