Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Tattoos and the Bible?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

i r i d e s s i c a n c e

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 am
Quote:
Leviticus 19:28 ESV
You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.

Quote:
Leviticus 19:28 NIV
" 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

A close guy friend of mine and I got into a bit of a debate over this quote today.

It all started over the fact that I saw this verse yesterday and this morning I was just making conversation and told him why I wasn't going to get a tattoo. I've wanted a tattoo for months, but every time I had tried something had stopped me, whether it was finding the right artist, financially unstable, and other factors. A few days ago I prayed to God to lead me in the right direction. Then I stumbled across this and to me it was just a sign not to do it after having so much hassle trying to get one. I was going to get tattoos of Bible verses actually that were most inspiring to me in my life.

I was wondering, since I'm more of an infant in religion, are tattoos against the Bible? To me, it seems like they are, but my friend says, "No, that's a load of ________." He himself has tattoos and his father was a pastor for 5 years who majored in Christian theology. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe I'm not. But, I wanted to know from others whether or not tattoos are against the Bible. Just to make sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am
Even though tattoos never appealed to me and I wouldn't get one myself, I have to say that verse doesn't prohibit all tattoos. You're not doing it to honor the dead (God is alive) and you're not doing it in mourning. I would avoid it for other reasons:

• there are health risks such as toxicity, skin infections and blood diseases that you could contract for going through the actual procedure of puncturing your skin like this. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tattoos-and-piercings/MC00020

• The same veneration I'd give to a physical temple is the same treatment I give my body: I wouldn't vandalize it. A beautiful work of art painted on the side of a temple is still vandalism/graffiti. Maybe if it were chalk or something temporary it wouldn't matter because it could come off. That's just my mindset.

• Overall I just have an indifference to external things like decorating the body.

But no, that verse does not say all tattoos are sinful.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

11 Cardinal 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 pm
"For the dead". Tattoos are not sinful.

Besides, the book of Leviticus was written for the Levite priests, some say even the Jews and some say not, but most certainly the Levite priests. In the literal sense it doesn't pertain to us.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:09 pm
It's really going to depend on what kind of tattoo you want, and your spiritual conviction about it. I still wouldn't get a tattoo of the dead, only because of what it represents—would I really want to place the image or name of someone I long for and dwell on, on the temple of our Father? Isn't that a kind of form of idolatry? I think so. Saying that, I also wouldn't put on my body the image or name of someone who is still alive. It doesn't seem right to do so.

Everything else, though, has to be up to your best judgment, and what you think won't offend God. You also need to make sure it's a tattoo you know you can live with for the rest of your life (even when it gets all wrinkly and blurry as you get older). I remember one tattoo artist saying that if you like an image that you're considering making into a tattoo, carry that image around with you for a whole year (like on a piece of paper). Look at it every day, throughout the day. If you still like it by the end of that year, then you can be sure that as a tattoo, it won't be something you'll regret later.

I got a tattoo I regret; it was during a time where I was being led astray by different ideas of like and spirituality. It's a tattoo of my astrological sign with jasmine flowers wrapped around it. It's not even a high quality tattoo, and it's there now for the rest of my life. Luckily, I forget it's on my body most of the time because it's behind my left shoulder. Still, I wish I didn't have it. So, be sure that if you're going to get a tattoo, you do it because you're absolutely sure about it. Have no doubts, and prepare for it.

As for infections and diseases—that's why you do research on tattoo parlors. Most are careful with sterilizing their machines and products, but there are some who are not. You ask around and look things up. Same with piercings. You also have to do research on how YOU need to take care of your tattoo, if you get one.

God bless.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

SunshineDaisyGirl

Blessed Guildswoman

7,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 am
When I read that verse, I understand it as for the unsaved, tatoos wouldn't be sinful, but for the saved, we are called to not defile the temple. Our bodies are a temple for the Holy Sprit.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

New International Version (NIV)

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:49 pm
This has been quite a debate when I lived with my parents because my sister always wanted tattoos and my parents wouldn't let her and put the Leviticus verses on the refrigerator. Once she moved out, she got piercings and tattoos, but I'm not sure that all tattoos are bad. I do notice that in The Holy Bible it mentions not to cut your bodies for the dead "OR" put marks/tattoos on yourself. The "or" in that sentence provides two different statements, both of which we are commanded not to do.

I'm not sure what to think about tattoos that are Bible verses, showing Jesus Christ, or something of that sort because God is alive, and would be honorable to Him or not? I'm not sure, really.

Tattoos in general don't appeal to me at all. I never saw anything attractive about them because I've known people who say, "Ouch! My new tattoo hurts sooo bad! It's so swollen and red!" Why would I want to put something on my body that's completely optional that will cause pain? I wouldn't want to do that. I suppose in a way it could be harming the temple if one chooses to think of it that way because it causes a purposeful, unnecessary pain that could have been decided against.

I've also seen older people that have tattoos that don't look so attractive once they reach a certain age because of wrinkles and probably going back and forth between losing weight and gaining weight - stuff they may not have been able to help. It doesn't look attractive sweatdrop so this is another reason why it doesn't appeal to me.

There are some risks to tattoos that I wouldn't want to take. There are tattoo salons that are better than others, that follow sterile regulations closer than others. However, there is always a chance of an infection or something of that sort - even if some places it might be more slim than others. I can imagine that the ink might be considered a toxin - I remember being told writing on your body with a pen or marker is like minimally poisoning yourself because the skin is like a sponge and absorbs things like that. However, I'm not sure if tattoo ink is worse, better, or not different at all than a pen mark. I would think it would be worse since a needle is used with a permanent ink.

Even if something is considered a "gray area", it might be better off to not do it.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm
SunshineDaisyGirl
When I read that verse, I understand it as for the unsaved, tatoos wouldn't be sinful, but for the saved, we are called to not defile the temple. Our bodies are a temple for the Holy Sprit.

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
What about a tattoo is dishonoring your body? It can be to honor God, or it can even just be unrelated.

If you want to talk about honoring your body all that much, then maybe you should avoid McDonalds.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 pm
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl

What about a tattoo is dishonoring your body? It can be to honor God, or it can even just be unrelated.

If you want to talk about honoring your body all that much, then maybe you should avoid McDonalds.

I don't know if it is just me, but snarky comments don't exactly drive your point across...

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

SunshineDaisyGirl

Blessed Guildswoman

7,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:26 pm
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl

I'm not saying that I will judge anyone for how they believe, just merely stating how I feel, and I don't want to get into this here, but I don't eat at fast food joints. Not only am I a former McD's employee, therefore boycott at all costs, but it's expensive and very unhealthy. I prefer to cook all of our meals at home, so that's what we do....

As I said before, I am not here to judge, I just threw in there how I feel about it. I stand by my word when I said that I'm a firm believer in not defiling the temple of the holy spirit and since my body is a temple for the holy spirit, I CHOOSE not to ink it. I also believe that we are called to hate the SIN but to LOVE the sinner, therefore I have no place in judging ANYONE. That's God's job and I leave it to Him.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 pm
Garland-Green
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl

I don't know if it is just me, but snarky comments don't exactly drive your point across...

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

thank you for your kindness, it did kind of hurt due to my metabolism causing me to be overweight even with the healthy alteratives I take here at home with not eating out and such, but I'm not the one to judge, I'm here to spread the gospel. so again I thank you for your compassion!  

SunshineDaisyGirl

Blessed Guildswoman

7,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 pm
Garland-Green
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl

If I want to be offensive, it doesn't look a thing like this. Snarky comments liven up an otherwise boring conversation.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:39 pm
SunshineDaisyGirl
False Dichotomy
SunshineDaisyGirl

I'm not saying that I will judge anyone for how they believe, just merely stating how I feel, and I don't want to get into this here, but I don't eat at fast food joints. Not only am I a former McD's employee, therefore boycott at all costs, but it's expensive and very unhealthy. I prefer to cook all of our meals at home, so that's what we do....

As I said before, I am not here to judge, I just threw in there how I feel about it. I stand by my word when I said that I'm a firm believer in not defiling the temple of the holy spirit and since my body is a temple for the holy spirit, I CHOOSE not to ink it. I also believe that we are called to hate the SIN but to LOVE the sinner, therefore I have no place in judging ANYONE. That's God's job and I leave it to Him.
I'm not talking about judgment here, I get that you're being passive, and that's great. I just think people overshoot it too much and think that getting a tattoo is a sin, and I just don't see it that way. If we're supposed to love our bodies, why not treat them well aesthetically? I think it's a lot less superficial than makeup. Maybe in context, it was bad for the hebrews, but we aren't bound by levitican law, and we aren't seers/necromancers, so I'm just not seeing a connection.

I'll be the first to say most tattoos people get are terrible, but it can be done right.  

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

Hero just hero

Dangerous Informer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:58 pm
Leviticus here states about tattoos and cuttings are sinful if it is for the dead. However it is a sin, regardless if it is for the dead or not.

Philippians 3:2
" Watch out for those who do evil things, those dogs, those who insists on cutting the body"

did this say "for the dead"? or did this say " those who insists on Cutting the body? God would be saying that If you get a tattoo or cut yourself, you are indeed ruining your body and it is a sin to God. Dogs can also cut and scar the body. Same ideas as "getting a tattoo", or " cutting yourself in emotions (Emos are represented in the Bible for this)". this states that He who hurts the body has sinned. Now if it was accidental, do not worry, those are always around, so it does not mean that we sinned. it just means we need to be careful =)

1 Corinthians 6:18
"avoid immorality. Any other sin a man commits does not affect the body (would consider tattoos and other means as cutting yourself purposely); but the man who is guilty of sexual immorality sins against his own body. (masturbation)."

this one also states that immorality is not just sex related, but also body related. this also would be against getting tattoos. And masturbation (although that is not the case here. But same rule applied).

job 2:5
"but now suppose you hurt his body- he will curse you to your face!"

your body is not yours to be getting tattoos... it is God's. He created your body and owns it. If you tattoo it in Christ, you have sinned against God. And God will require repentance from you. Your body is a temple of God, Do not break it (cut it) and do not graffiti it ( put tattoos on it).

I hope this adds to why this would be considered sinful to God =)

God is Love! and He had spoken about it =D

The Ministry

P.s. If you repent about getting a tattoo, God will remove it from your body by "fading it out". God created a remarkable body. Why mess it up?

If you think that getting inked bible verses or crosses or anything Godly on your body would let you "slide at getting a tattoo", You are indeed mistaken. God has spoken clearly against it. If you put it out of context, Then you are not using the spirit in you.

He doesn't want you to be in flesh. But spirit.

I Do not think snarky would be a proper word to tell others that a comment is testy or irritable or Short if it consists at something rude or not a nice way of putting things. Snarky would rather fit in a different term. I laugh when someone calls me snarky since people would linger to the point where a true statement from the bible would be called something "irritable" or "snarky".

A comment that seems rude or very irritating would not be called snarky. It would be called much rather " rhetorical" and Impulsive. Not snarky. If it goes against being kind and make you sound rather a sad person who is trying to get at emotions In Christ ( Which sadly is actually Getting into Christians or non Christians in this Guild), or any other by means, Then that would not be Snarky. more impulsive then that. Snarky is a slang termination in which i have no time to look at or hear. It's just something that is less concerned to God.

Being kind is good. But being Compassionate is another.  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games