Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Fellow brothers and sister, I need your help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 am
The issue I've been struggling with lately has been with feeling unfulfilled with my life.
The following events have unfolded that have led me to feel this way:

•I've taken graphic design in college, decided It wasn't for me and quit a year after.

•My parents were against this type of field since my mom's a nurse and my dad used to be a dentist and so wanted me to pursue something related [Nursing]

•I took pre-health to become a nurse but failed that in college

•By then, I felt absolutely useless and quite frankly, stupid. I was discouraged.

•I've graduated college 2 years ago in office administration.

•I haven't found a job related to my certificate since..

•My dad recently was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer [last summer]. My mom, brother, and I were devastated but became closer as a family and towards God.

•I have been at home taking care of my dad, helping around the house, helping with grocery shopping, driving mom and brother to work and school.

•My dad is doing amazing. He's still strong and his cancer nodules [from last scan] has shown that they are disappearing!

•I feel like I haven't really accomplished much in my life- career wise. Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind taking care of my dad and helping around the house and such. It is great to be able to help in any way that I can.

I just feel like I'll never really amount to anything as dramatic as that may sound. That I will never pursue a career of my own personal interest [either in gardening, domestic animals [rescue shelter], or health & fitness related]. I want to feel satisfied in doing something career wise.

Money is not a problem for me right now. Thankfully, I'm a picky spender. And I love to save. Is there anything I can do, at home, that will make me feel fulfilled in some way with the interests discussed above? I could garden but it's still cold with snow and frost. I'll have to wait til around March to start planting. And honestly..that seems kind of far away for me. I feel like I'm going to somewhat lose it if I don't find that something that I could do.

Am I horrible for feeling this way? I feel like I'm being selfish and wanting to find some sort of fulfilling thing to do instead of making my dad my full priority despite that he's doing really well. I just feel so empty.

I kind of don't know what I'm living for. My life feels stagnant- unmoving. I just really want to know my purpose so that I don't have to feel so empty.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am
Animals shelter! biggrin Do it, loads and loads of shelters are REALLY understaffed and need all the help they can get, seriously. I was in a similar 'blah' boat as you and started volunteering at the local shelter, now I can't wait to go and a lot of shelters do all kinds of really fun events. Besides being a way to get out and about, its wonderful to know you're making a difference in that animals life, however small, and it leads to an awesome sense of accomplishment and purpose.  

11 Cardinal 11

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 am
When you say you're afraid of not "amounting to anything", what exactly are you referring to? That your time on earth has not been well-spent? or that you're lacking in "accomplishments"? If it's the latter, be careful not to fall into, "I need to achieve titles" to gain the approval of the world and family. Live to please God instead of people. Our heavenly father isn't training us to ascend up the corporate ladder, but to serve others, fulfilling somebody's need, showing kindness and doing favors for people to aid their survival even when it's not our responsibility to do so, charity. And I mean a real "need" not just fulfilling every whim and desire of a person; their actual needs for survival, helping to carry-out justice, upholding the law instead of breaking it. This can be done with or without a career.

Keep in mind, yes we are God's children, but as a Christian our role in this world is that of a "servant" first, career/hobbies are secondary. If you want to "amount to anything" in God's eyes, take this to heart:

Quote:
Matthew 23:11 (NIV)

11 The greatest among you will be your servant.

Quote:
Mark 9:35 (NIV)

35 Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

Prioritize your career as a "servant" with greater importance than your earthly career because this earth won't last forever. That's not to say that people can't do both, however if you are meeting so much opposition, that could be YHWH obstructing your path trying to lead you elsewhere. Make sure to pray about it, asking if this be YHWH's will to make it clear that he doesn't want you going down a certain path and highlight the one he does want you going on.

For me, I've come to recognize that the moments I felt most unfulfilled happened when I was living to please the expectations of the world/society/the people around me and not a higher authority (God), failing to fulfill that "servant" role, to selflessly help those around me, freely, expecting nothing in return for my actions, stranger or not.

Like Cardinal said, find a way to volunteer somewhere, someplace, somehow. Unless we're walking in that servant role—freely offering a service to another—we won't be fulfilled. It's less fulfilling when it's in your own family because in our eyes they're in relative comfort compared to the rest of the world. You haven't neglected your family, so that's good. Now that the situation at home is recuperating/has recuperated, you need to fulfill that servant role elsewhere. Place no importance on the expectations of your parents, only the expectations of our Heavenly Father.

Quote:
Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 pm
I think what you're doing now is pretty good. Maybe if you buy a few textbooks and Nursing practice test books you can study before taking the necessary classes?
I know this is easier said than done but put this scripture to heart.
Matthew 6:33
King James Version (KJV)
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Sometimes we often forget the bigger picture do to our Earthly struggles in life, but if you put the horse before the cart you may make headway in whatever you are doing. I hope this helps. >< Because as of now I'm struggling to find just a steady job.  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm
11 Cardinal 11
Animals shelter! biggrin Do it, loads and loads of shelters are REALLY understaffed and need all the help they can get, seriously. I was in a similar 'blah' boat as you and started volunteering at the local shelter, now I can't wait to go and a lot of shelters do all kinds of really fun events. Besides being a way to get out and about, its wonderful to know you're making a difference in that animals life, however small, and it leads to an awesome sense of accomplishment and purpose.

Today when I was just parking in my parents' driveway, my brother saw a cat sitting on my next door neighbour's driveway which was about a meter away from us. He jokingly said, "Don't run over the cat, now". So immediately, I stepped on the breaks, looking everywhere until I saw him point to it which was pretty far away from the vehicle- Thank God. He's my neighbour's cat [the one across from us], and I haven't seen her in months. She seems like the outdoors type of cat because when I DO see her, she's always outside roaming around the neighborhood but always comes back to her owners house. She's super friendly and has the cutest small meow. I waved to her like the dork I was then sort of left to go inside my house. I was just closing the screen door when I saw her tiny cat shadow head on the ground. I'm a huge animal lover so volunteering for an animal rescue shelter would be my absolute dream. Anyway so as I saw her shadow, I just went: "Hey buddy~ come here emotion_kirakira "

She was initially hidden because our garage is blocking our line of sight from the doorway. But she came willingly and went up to the screen door and started purring and rubbing up against the screen door [I was on the other side of the door at the time]. And ughhhh. Just cute. I didn't want to get in trouble though for letting her inside seeing as she's not my cat and my family doesn't like cats emo but I was extremely happy when I saw her. And I found it incredibly interesting to have posted THIS issue on this Guild and on the SAME day, I'm greeted by a cat whom I haven't seen for months [last summer]. Perhaps it's a sign.

And you know what the real kicker is? I just found out that the nearest dog rescue is 2 minutes away from where I live! TWO! crying How amazingly planned is that?

I have yet to talk to my parents though about volunteering at an animal rescue. I'm a bit weary of what they may think/say. I don't want them to think that I'm trying to get away from chores and driving them around. Because there are HOURS in between those daily duties that I have free time. And in that free time, I feel so useless. I want to do something worthwhile in that free time and what better way than to help animals?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 pm
real eyes realize
When you say you're afraid of not "amounting to anything", what exactly are you referring to? That your time on earth has not been well-spent? or that you're lacking in "accomplishments"? If it's the latter, be careful not to fall into, "I need to achieve titles" to gain the approval of the world and family. Live to please God instead of people. Our heavenly father isn't training us to ascend up the corporate ladder, but to serve others, fulfilling somebody's need, showing kindness and doing favors for people to aid their survival even when it's not our responsibility to do so, charity. And I mean a real "need" not just fulfilling every whim and desire of a person; their actual needs for survival, helping to carry-out justice, upholding the law instead of breaking it. This can be done with or without a career.

Keep in mind, yes we are God's children, but as a Christian our role in this world is that of a "servant" first, career/hobbies are secondary. If you want to "amount to anything" in God's eyes, take this to heart:

Quote:
Matthew 23:11 (NIV)

11 The greatest among you will be your servant.

Quote:
Mark 9:35 (NIV)

35 Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

Prioritize your career as a "servant" with greater importance than your earthly career because this earth won't last forever. That's not to say that people can't do both, however if you are meeting so much opposition, that could be YHWH obstructing your path trying to lead you elsewhere. Make sure to pray about it, asking if this be YHWH's will to make it clear that he doesn't want you going down a certain path and highlight the one he does want you going on.

For me, I've come to recognize that the moments I felt most unfulfilled happened when I was living to please the expectations of the world/society/the people around me and not a higher authority (God), failing to fulfill that "servant" role, to selflessly help those around me, freely, expecting nothing in return for my actions, stranger or not.

Like Cardinal said, find a way to volunteer somewhere, someplace, somehow. Unless we're walking in that servant role—freely offering a service to another—we won't be fulfilled. It's less fulfilling when it's in your own family because in our eyes they're in relative comfort compared to the rest of the world. You haven't neglected your family, so that's good. Now that the situation at home is recuperating/has recuperated, you need to fulfill that servant role elsewhere. Place no importance on the expectations of your parents, only the expectations of our Heavenly Father.

Quote:
Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I guess when I say that "I'm afraid I won't amount to anything", my time on earth has not been well spent and that I feel like I've lacked in some accomplishments. I see my friends on facebook and they've all got jobs and such. But Thank you for reminding me about being a servant of God and that jobs are secondary. Also for reminding me that I shouldn't have to please others- especially my parents- when it comes to a career.

Those Scriptural references helped a lot too. I think I may go into volunteering for rescued dogs afterall. I just need the courage to approach my parents about it and not be judged/denied of participating in something like that.  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm
Hamul
I think what you're doing now is pretty good. Maybe if you buy a few textbooks and Nursing practice test books you can study before taking the necessary classes?
I know this is easier said than done but put this scripture to heart.
Matthew 6:33
King James Version (KJV)
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Sometimes we often forget the bigger picture do to our Earthly struggles in life, but if you put the horse before the cart you may make headway in whatever you are doing. I hope this helps. >< Because as of now I'm struggling to find just a steady job.

That's definitely something to consider. And it did help : )
I'll be praying for God to direct you to a steady job.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:47 am
I went through life simialar to you. In and out of school. The last time I quit was because my husband had to have major surgery on his lungs because of a rare lung disease that he has. He came through but the dr.s only gave him three to five years to live.
I fretted because I hadn't become "somebody". I felt like a quitter.
That was eight years ago. I am who Christ needs me to be. Not what society thinks I should be.
Follow your heart. You'll find what else it is you need to do to feel fulfilled.
Look inside yourself.God gives everyone a gift. What is yours? biggrin
May God shower you and your loved ones with many blessings. Peace  

StrongGirlBong-Soon

9,475 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150

I am 4 Angry birds

Brainy Traveler

11,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:59 am
Jesus needs to be the one guiding your path. Its great that you've taken up college career options. But have you asked God where you should be? He ALWAYS has a directional plan for you.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Pray that he will show you the path necessary to take.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am
Maybe consider attending a Bible College or Seminary? Jesus is the only thing/person that can truly fulfill you. Careers can't. Besides, they only last some 50 years, but your relationship with God lasts for all of eternity. It's definitely the better investment. I did 3 and 1/2 years at a Bible College and it was one of the best decisions of my life.  

The Pollen Shed

Tyro Starblade

Interesting Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:45 pm
the ambitionsu have have something to do with Gods plan for u if have something your really ambitious about its somehow tied into Gods plan for u other wise he wouldn't have given it to you. so ask God in a prayer to lead u then think what should i do carreer wise and come to God with this on yer mind and focus on him through praise like K-Love.com then he will give u a supernatural relization and u will know his plan for u and what job to get. now it doesnt have to be K-Love.com just song of praise unto God u must focus on him. as for sickeness just if yer sick say "Sickness u have no right to be in my body i am healthy in Jesus Name." the just say "I am health in Jesus Name" whenever u feel unhealthy like sick. also take communion or pray this prayer. "In Jesus name i recieve the body of christ for healing and the blood of christ for salvation Amen." use these in combination till u better cuz Jesus died not just for our sins but also carried our sicknesses in his body so we could be healthy all the time. also walk in rest by praying this."Jesus in Jesus name i rest in you Amen." then just fall into his rest spiritaully to stay in that rest resist worry and have faith God will make everything work out and when you have to do work and yer overwhelmed just say "it is finished in Jesus name." u can resist worry by using Jesus name. when yer in rest u get mor ideas and the devil can't touch u. to learn more awesome stuff like this watch Joseph prince on ABC Family or TBN or Daystar or visit JosephPrince.org  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:02 am
Tyro Starblade
the ambitionsu have have something to do with Gods plan for u if have something your really ambitious about its somehow tied into Gods plan for u other wise he wouldn't have given it to you. so ask God in a prayer to lead u then think what should i do carreer wise and come to God with this on yer mind and focus on him through praise like K-Love.com then he will give u a supernatural relization and u will know his plan for u and what job to get. now it doesnt have to be K-Love.com just song of praise unto God u must focus on him. as for sickeness just if yer sick say "Sickness u have no right to be in my body i am healthy in Jesus Name." the just say "I am health in Jesus Name" whenever u feel unhealthy like sick. also take communion or pray this prayer. "In Jesus name i recieve the body of christ for healing and the blood of christ for salvation Amen." use these in combination till u better cuz Jesus died not just for our sins but also carried our sicknesses in his body so we could be healthy all the time. also walk in rest by praying this."Jesus in Jesus name i rest in you Amen." then just fall into his rest spiritaully to stay in that rest resist worry and have faith God will make everything work out and when you have to do work and yer overwhelmed just say "it is finished in Jesus name." u can resist worry by using Jesus name. when yer in rest u get mor ideas and the devil can't touch u. to learn more awesome stuff like this watch Joseph prince on ABC Family or TBN or Daystar or visit JosephPrince.org

Our first ambition should be to glorify God. And any other ambition needs to line up with Scripture. Just because someone has an ambition, it doesn't mean that it's God-given. Hitler's ambition was ethnic cleansing and the global domination by the Arian race. Just because he had that ambition doesn't mean God gave it to him. Another example: If it is my ambition to be a stripper, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is God's plan for me. An example from Scripture: Saul's ambition was to lead a quiet life, but God wanted him to be king. Saul's ambition was not God's plan.

To say that you have ambitions because God gives them to you is actually pretty self-centered. The universe revolves around God, not us. Yes, Christ died for us, but not because we are anything special in and of ourselves. Jesus died for us so that God would be glorified. The entire purpose of our existence is to glorify God. It's all about God, all the time. Never about us. It's a hard truth.

Also, sometimes God chooses not to heal. Paul asked God to take away his tormentor, his thorn in his flesh, but God refused. Instead, He said "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:7-10
Yes, God can heal, and does heal, but not always. And it's not always because of a lack of faith or righteousness. Sometimes it's because it is not God's will. We are not meant to have comfy lives. We are meant for hardships. Hebrews 12:7 says "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?"

We need to be very careful not to promise something that Scripture does not promise.  

The Pollen Shed

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm
You know, there have been times in my life where I felt this way in this economy. I don't find the feeling of uselessness to be uncommon, but it's a feeling that needs to be dealt with properly. There are many people out there who are unable to get a job due to the job market not being in the best condition. A lot of people out there are unemployed and haven't been able to find a job they are able to do. Some out there with degrees can't even find a job so they feel like their hard work was for nothing. We do have a purpose that God has given us and we need to strive to accomplish it.

Sometimes when I feel useless - it's not my own feelings that I am absorbing, but someone else's. Although, I've had to learn to distinguish between my own and someone else's. I make sure to read God's word and pray about it. If there's not many outdoor activities to delight in - all the more reason to reach for God's word and read a bit every day. I find I get so absorbed in God's word that I lose track of time >_<

In life, what you do for a living is your choice. Many parents out their expect their kids to be a teacher, something in the medical field, a lawyer, etc. but in the end - it's not worth it if a person doesn't want to do that. I heard of a guy who had parents that insisted he be a dentist. He worked so hard to make them happy and he made a lot of money doing it, but his stress levels were off the charts. Sometimes he'd have panic attacks thinking about going to a job that he hated.

There are many people out there that do animal rescue independently. It takes time, money, and from what I have seen - it takes up your time and sometimes you are barely scraping by because the animals are first priority, but it is a sacrifice someone who wants to rescue animals must be willing to take. If you want to work with a group like a shelter or kennel - there are many areas that need help with that because they need patient, animal-loving individuals. Ones that will go the extra mile to take care of animals and work hard. As a gardener, you could put up ads around your area saying that you have experience gardening. If you are good, you can charge a reasonable amount. There are people out there who have gardens that need attending. If you want something health and fitness related, you could try physical therapy, which can be fun and creative. You could also try being a personal trainer so you could work in a gym or independently. You could study sport's medicine so you can travel with teams and treat injuries and pains.

Sometimes, it takes a lot of praying, thinking, and trusting in God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit until we find out what path we are to take.

Also, when a loved one is in pain, or has a medical condition that takes time to heal - it can feel like there isn't much of a purpose because we can't live life without them. If that is the case, keep praying and have faith. It's amazing that the cancer is disappearing! Praise be to God for that 3nodding Spend every moment you are able to with him. Enjoy life still and make every moment worth while.  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games