Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Fond Memories of Your First Con Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 pm
Back in October 2009 I went to my first con in Dearborn Michigan. It was Youmacon 2009. Three of my fondest memories were:

1. Meeting with and taking pictures of Cosplayers. One special lady who I met online before the con told me what Cosplaying and what the anime / Cosplay cons were all about. She even did a short photoshoot for me.

2. I was wearing my first Cosplay outfit based on the Star Trek Original series. I didn't wear the ears but I did wear the blue "Spock" shirt. The latest Star Trek movie had come out just a few months before. 50 people took pics of me that day!! I became hooked on Cosplaying. smile People were stopping me everywhere I went to take my picture. I was so honored. I was called either Spock or Dr McCoy. Due to my age I looked a lot like Dr McCoy from the latest Star Trek movie.

3. Dealer and Artist Alley. Do I need to say more. LOL

Please share your fondest first con experiences.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm
Let's See..
My First Con Was Aki-Con During It's First Year.
2008 Or 2009.

First, It Was REALLY Small Con, Maybe 1000 People.

2nd I Remember Buying Like A Lot Of Pocky/Ramune & The Seller Was Like 'Wow, That's The Most We've Sold At One Time (@. @)'

3rd I Heard Vic Mignogna Sing For The First Time.

4th.. Yaoi Paddle....  

Death-Shini

Vicious Fatcat

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Death-Shini
Let's See..
My First Con Was Aki-Con During It's First Year.
2008 Or 2009.

First, It Was REALLY Small Con, Maybe 1000 People.

2nd I Remember Buying Like A Lot Of Pocky/Ramune & The Seller Was Like 'Wow, That's The Most We've Sold At One Time (@. @)'

3rd I Heard Vic Mignogna Sing For The First Time.

4th.. Yaoi Paddle....

Sometimes the small cons can be really nice too. You can take more time to talk to other Cosplayers and possibly make a connection. Plus I sometimes hate crowds. I haven't heard Vic sing but I did meet him briefly. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm
Tora-Con 2013 (so is just happened, 3/23-24)

someone yelled Marco to find their group and ended up having everyone yelling Polo
got as many pics for being a geisha as i did for my Cheshire Cat plushie with a 5' tail
got a pillow at the second Artist's Alley that looks like a tamago sushi. very fluffy and soft heart
got elf ears made of wire and beads
got lost getting to the place (and to the friend's house we were staying at). i had a tablet with Bitching Betty, which is the only reason we made it
had both hairpieces i had brought broken (dammit)
somehow, on the second day, ended up in a game of spin the bottle. two spins: one for the first person, one for the second. three males, six or seven girls (including me). had people end up with themselves several times. if one dind't want to kiss, they could brofist/fist bump. had an ASL class with one of the guys, so when it was me first and it landed on him, he said no because he knows my mom (she was the teacher), and my mom scares him. one of the males was a Naruto ninja. not sure who exactly, since i don't follow it. mask covering more of face, white hair, emblem has a leaf, from what i've been told. green outfit. i was in for a while, and finally remembered that i had a 'candy pack' that one of my friends had made, with some Hershey's Kisses. pulled them out, with some other candy and a stick of gum. first person to land with me was said ninja. we'd already fist bumped, so he was ready to do that again when i threw him one of the Kisses. "Woo-hoo! Chocolate!" guy was mid-20s, if not older. ate it right away. whenever he landed with a guy, they had to kiss with the mask on. a girl, mask off. he'd hop on the table if the person was on the opposite couch (i was on the floor between the two couches) one of the girls was pregnant. she got two Kisses and the gumstick, which she would have been able to chew on. when i had to go, i have the ninja the rest of the candy. from what i heard, said ninja had a chocolate-gasm. oh my
oh, apparently there's a Pocky Ninja that appears, but not this year. though i did get free pocky heart saw a girl walking around with pocky and i shouted 'Pocky Ninja!' she offered me a stick, then the two i was with. then she gave me one of the packs. woo! my first pocky ever~
chocolate, if anyone's interested in the flavor
asked some people if they knew Sengoku BASARA. i say it oddly, so one girl didn't know it until i had typed it on my phone. she'd first seen it while on a shojo kick, so she didn't care for it, but i told her to give it a second chance. awesoooome~
cosplay chess: East v. West. West won
someone was a tiki idol
spent maybe $60 all told, with $40 being my pillow~
EDIT: Navi threatened to kill me~  

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 pm
Katsucon 2009. Oh, it was crowded, but did I have a blast!

Bits n' pieces:
- riffing with an Aerith cosplayer going down the stairs from one floor to another. That was a hoot.
- shooting the breeze with a Tenth Doctor cosplayer who was, IIRC, going into MMA.
- plunking down 100 bux for vol.4 of the .hack game. Yeah, I did. Worth it too, as it was a sealed copy.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:14 pm
Shannon Kyra Liannanon

someone yelled Marco to find their group and ended up having everyone yelling Polo
got as many pics for being a geisha as i did for my Cheshire Cat plushie with a 5' tail
got a pillow at the second Artist's Alley that looks like a tamago sushi. very fluffy and soft heart
got lost getting to the place (and to the friend's house we were staying at). i had a tablet with Bitching Betty, which is the only reason we made it
somehow, on the second day, ended up in a game of spin the bottle. two spins: one for the first person, one for the second. three males, six or seven girls (including me). had people end up with themselves several times. if one dind't want to kiss, they could brofist/fist bump. had an ASL class with one of the guys, so when it was me first and it landed on him, he said no because he knows my mom (she was the teacher), and my mom scares him. one of the males was a Naruto ninja. not sure who exactly, since i don't follow it. mask covering more of face, white hair, emblem has a leaf, from what i've been told. green outfit. i was in for a while, and finally remembered that i had a 'candy pack' that one of my friends had made, with some Hershey's Kisses. pulled them out, with some other candy and a stick of gum. first person to land with me was said ninja. we'd already fist bumped, so he was ready to do that again when i threw him one of the Kisses. "Woo-hoo! Chocolate!" guy was mid-20s, if not older. ate it right away. whenever he landed with a guy, they had to kiss with the mask on. a girl, mask off. he'd hop on the table if the person was on the opposite couch (i was on the floor between the two couches) one of the girls was pregnant. she got two Kisses and the gumstick, which she would have been able to chew on. when i had to go, i have the ninja the rest of the candy. from what i heard, said ninja had a chocolate-gasm. oh my
oh, apparently there's a Pocky Ninja that appears, but not this year. though i did get free pocky heart saw a girl walking around with pocky and i shouted 'Pocky Ninja!' she offered me a stick, then the two i was with. then she gave me one of the packs. woo! my first pocky ever~
asked some people if they knew Sengoku BASARA. i say it oddly, so one girl didn't know it until i had typed it on my phone. she'd first seen it while on a shojo kick, so she didn't care for it, but i told her to give it a second chance. awesoooome~
someone was a tiki idol

LIANNA (Shannon), Wow, I thought that spin the bottle went out of style back in the 70's. I Love the Cosplay Shougi Chess. You must have a decent Sweet Tooth. Pocky, Pocky, Pocky!! LOL  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:21 pm
OnsenMark
Katsucon 2009. Oh, it was crowded, but did I have a blast!

Bits n' pieces:
- riffing with an Aerith cosplayer going down the stairs from one floor to another. That was a hoot.
- shooting the breeze with a Tenth Doctor cosplayer who was, IIRC, going into MMA.
- plunking down 100 bux for vol.4 of the .hack game. Yeah, I did. Worth it too, as it was a sealed copy.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a con go well. Btw Aerith is one of my favorite FF Characters. smile I go to the cons to buy stuff that I can look at before buying it. Yes it can cost a lot of money but it's more satisfing to me to find something rare. Then I come accross someone that says I got the same thing online for yes. That's often true but I feel it's less fun. Just cal me old fashioned. smile Doctor Who is cool and I have been following the series since the mid 70's.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 pm
smithers456
Shannon Kyra Liannanon

someone was a tiki idol

LIANNA (Shannon), Wow, I thought that spin the bottle went out of style back in the 70's. I Love the Cosplay Shougi Chess. You must have a decent Sweet Tooth. Pocky, Pocky, Pocky!! LOL
dunno. I eat snail~
But yeah, cosplay chess was epic.ever watch How to Train Your Dragin? Hiccup was king for the West, Navi king for the east. Hiccup had to read Chess for Dummies XD one of my most recent dA entries has a bit more detail, if I remenber correctly~  

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100

StrawberryGhost3432

Tricky Pumpkin

1,450 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 am
I had went as Usopp, and I found a group cosplaying as the other Strawhats. We spent the rest of the con together and still go to cons as a group.
Also, ballroom dancing with Sanji and Brook.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:41 pm
Anime Expo 2008, where to begin, umm got yaoi paddled... also started a whole I love mexachu thing for a few minutes for the people waiting in line (mexican pikachu)
<.< found out I was in the room across from good morning musume... (not a fan of their music still admit they are cute)
My friends did something that stopped the dance for a like 15 minutes..
Played a lot of video games, a few before street date. Made like 20+ friends that I still talk to now.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm
StrawberryGhost3432
I had went as Usopp, and I found a group cosplaying as the other Strawhats. We spent the rest of the con together and still go to cons as a group.
Also, ballroom dancing with Sanji and Brook.

I have not heard of the Strawhats. It must be nice to Cosplay in a group. I have yet to find a group I tend to focus on my photography. Ballroom Dancing sounds nice. I haven't been to any dance in a very long time.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:25 pm
Extreme master of flames
Anime Expo 2008, where to begin, umm got yaoi paddled... also started a whole I love mexachu thing for a few minutes for the people waiting in line (mexican pikachu)
<.< found out I was in the room across from good morning musume... (not a fan of their music still admit they are cute)
Played a lot of video games, a few before street date. Made like 20+ friends that I still talk to now.

Greetings Captain, I recently went to the Youmacon 2013 con in Downtown Detroit Recently, It was great. I took lots of photos of the Sailor Moon series Cosplayers it was really fun. It's fun doing things in line to pass the time. At one con when the long line moved and they passed other people in line all of a sudden everyone was doing high 5's to each other. smile Wow, making a lot of friends at one con had to be something. I'm making friends in person and through the pages that I have on DA and FB.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 am
smithers456
Extreme master of flames

Greetings Captain, I recently went to the Youmacon 2013 con in Downtown Detroit Recently, It was great. I took lots of photos of the Sailor Moon series Cosplayers it was really fun. It's fun doing things in line to pass the time. At one con when the long line moved and they passed other people in line all of a sudden everyone was doing high 5's to each other. smile Wow, making a lot of friends at one con had to be something. I'm making friends in person and through the pages that I have on DA and FB.
I am glad to hear that, I usually have the weird moments at cons (then again its usually like 1 am) but its always great to make new friends  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 pm
Extreme master of flames
smithers456
Extreme master of flames

I am glad to hear that, I usually have the weird moments at cons (then again its usually like 1 am) but its always great to make new friends

Going to a Cosplay / Anime convention is like stepping into another World. Like a fairy tale.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 pm
I remember looking at all the wonderfully dressed people and all the equally wonderful cosplayers. Also seeing and buying my first lolita item was fantastic.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff