Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Alcohol Consumption? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is alcohol consumption okay?
Yes, as long as it is used responsibly.
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
No, it hurts the the body/temple and/or is sinful.
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 am
In today's world as had been in most societies in the past whether a few hundred years ago to ancient - there was some form of alcohol that people could drink.

Alcohol usage and sales are around us in today's world whether it's through the radio, commercials, movies, tv shows, magazines, or a local bar - we notice that it's a common topic. A lot of people go out drinking during the night for "fun". I'm sure most of us have definitely heard of someone in the work place or even at school say, "I have a killer hangover today." or people even skipping work or school because of it. Alcohol is presented in a number of ways in society - often times in a negative manner, while the media makes it look like a glamorous hobby.

Alcohol consumption is a topic that tends to rage across the Christian community. There are individuals that have strong opinions on the matter saying that any type of alcohol consumption is wrong, while others disagree. So where does Christianity draw the line with alcohol?

My outlook on the matter:

I do not believe that drinking alcohol itself is a sin. I believe that if a person drinks a small amount that does not get them drunk for the sake of medical purposes, having good flavor with their meal, or a special occasion (as long as they are of legal age) it's okay:

1 Timothy 5:23 NIV

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Psalm 104:14 - 15 NIV

He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for people to cultivate—
bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens human hearts,
oil to make their faces shine,
and bread that sustains their hearts.

Genesis 27:28 NIV

May God give you heaven’s dew
and earth’s richness—
an abundance of grain and new wine.

Luke 10:33 - 34 NIV

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.

Joel 2:19 NIV

The Lord replied to them:

“I am sending you grain, new wine and olive oil,
enough to satisfy you fully;
never again will I make you
an object of scorn to the nations.

*When it's not okay is when a person drinks until they become drunk because their judgement and mental state is majorly altered and this can lead to things such as sexual immorality, saying things we don't mean that could anger God, etc. and if one is afraid wine is going to grow into a true problem in their life to refrain from it (in some cultures today as well as ancient culture, including Biblical times - wine was generally used during special occasion or at a meal and was able to be used in a responsible manner, but for some - it was everything but responsible because they became drunkards):

Ephesians 5:18 - 20 NIV

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Proverbs 23:29 - 35 NIV

Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaints?
Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?
Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly!
In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper.
Your eyes will see strange sights,
and your mind will imagine confusing things.
You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging.
“They hit me,” you will say, “but I’m not hurt!
They beat me, but I don’t feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?”

Galatians 5:19 - 21 NIV

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

*Also, if drinking will cause someone around you to fall into sin - then it is important to refrain from the activity:

Romans 14:20 - 21 NIV

Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

*In this case, I would say that people shouldn't drink around those who prefer not to, not drink around youth, and preferably drink responsibly by yourself or with someone else who is a responsible drinker - or in some cases, your designated driver.

So, your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 am
Jesus turned water into wine. That says a lot, really.

Though, it's been suggested that the wine involved was a low-alcohol type. On the other hand, I remember something in that story about "the bad wine being served when people were too drunk to care, why is this good stuff here at the end?", so yeah.

Like most things, I believe consumption of alcohol is fine in moderation and when used in a responsible manner.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

i r i d e s s i c a n c e

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm
I agree. Everything is best in moderation. It really depends on the person drinking it though as far as if they choose to be responsible or not. For those that are more reckless and become extremely drunk from potent doses, that is not healthy and wrong. I myself love the taste of sweet wine, mainly blackberry and cherry wines as well as amaretto liquor. Yet, with that I only sip on it and it's very little. I'm fine with just a few sips to a quarter of a cup worth. Also, I rarely drink too. It's once in a while (up to months if not over a year) and it's when I get to sample it. As far as medical purposes go, whiskeys, rum, and wines can be healing for different ailments. From lulling a child to sleep to someone with a toothache.

What's sad though, is when addictions start in people. I think the line should be drawn when you are at a point you are either reckless or want more just to be "wanting" and you know you've reached your intake for that time, but you continue to anyways. Basically, when emotions are caught up, that's when you should draw the line.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm
I used to think drinking was a sin, but after reading certain passages, I don't think that anymore. I tried drinking once, and the taste was yucky. Also, I always think of death when I think alcohol because I lost somehow dear to that addiction. So, it's difficult for me to keep up my spirits when I see a drink. It gets me sad, which lingers and is hard to shake off. -sigh-

I suppose people can drink. I'm not sure. I just get sad thinking about it because sometimes people might be prone to addiction, and not know it until it is too late. Ultimately, drinking is far from my mind. Also, I drank a little once and started getting dizzy. I didn't like it, but it was hot. My host at a part offered it to me, but I had to stop because of the dizziness. I felt bad for wasting it, but that weird feeling was troublesome. It was a..in English, I think you say wine mix with..fruit..juices.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 pm
You can always decline a drink that someone offers. *Blinks* As long as you're reasonably polite about it, they generally don't mind too much. Alternately, take a sip and leave it at that.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 pm
Rednal
Jesus turned water into wine. That says a lot, really.

Though, it's been suggested that the wine involved was a low-alcohol type. On the other hand, I remember something in that story about "the bad wine being served when people were too drunk to care, why is this good stuff here at the end?", so yeah.

Like most things, I believe consumption of alcohol is fine in moderation and when used in a responsible manner.

Wine being a low alcohol type then is definitely possible because even now - a lot of wines are a low percentage of alcohol - usually not above 10% alcohol unless they are stronger. There are plenty of other strong drinks out there that are like 70 proof like vodkas - those would be the really strong drinks that don't take much to get a person drunk.

Yeah, if a person was drunk - they may not have a good judgement between good and bad tastes, but most importantly - if a person was a drunkard, they would want alcohol simply because it was alcohol - not really caring about the taste. So that makes sense 3nodding  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm
BrightEyesWillFly
I agree. Everything is best in moderation. It really depends on the person drinking it though as far as if they choose to be responsible or not. For those that are more reckless and become extremely drunk from potent doses, that is not healthy and wrong. I myself love the taste of sweet wine, mainly blackberry and cherry wines as well as amaretto liquor. Yet, with that I only sip on it and it's very little. I'm fine with just a few sips to a quarter of a cup worth. Also, I rarely drink too. It's once in a while (up to months if not over a year) and it's when I get to sample it. As far as medical purposes go, whiskeys, rum, and wines can be healing for different ailments. From lulling a child to sleep to someone with a toothache.

What's sad though, is when addictions start in people. I think the line should be drawn when you are at a point you are either reckless or want more just to be "wanting" and you know you've reached your intake for that time, but you continue to anyways. Basically, when emotions are caught up, that's when you should draw the line.

That's how I am - I usually drink a sweet white wine once in a while because I have stomach issues and oddly, wine calms my stomach down. I enjoy sweet, light flavors that aren't overwhelming. Normally once a week or once every few weeks is good as far as my body goes. If I know I'm catching a cold, I will take a shot of something that still won't make me drunk, but will get rid of the bad germs in my body and often times - that helps.

Yes, that's the sad part is addiction. I think that's truly when a person's temple is being torn down - when they are drunk all the time are care not about the important things in life. I usually think, "Drink the amount you actually need without getting drunk, and no more than that." It makes me annoyed and upset when going to school, you would hear people joke about being drunk and how they act while their drunk and some people are like, "I'm going to drink until I'm drunk!" It's never a good idea to think that way =/  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm
Of course, on the other hand, all those guys drinking were already pretty smashed, and Jesus still made more alcohol for them, low proof or not... take that as you will. whee  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 pm
Servant Reborn
I used to think drinking was a sin, but after reading certain passages, I don't think that anymore. I tried drinking once, and the taste was yucky. Also, I always think of death when I think alcohol because I lost somehow dear to that addiction. So, it's difficult for me to keep up my spirits when I see a drink. It gets me sad, which lingers and is hard to shake off. -sigh-

I suppose people can drink. I'm not sure. I just get sad thinking about it because sometimes people might be prone to addiction, and not know it until it is too late. Ultimately, drinking is far from my mind. Also, I drank a little once and started getting dizzy. I didn't like it, but it was hot. My host at a part offered it to me, but I had to stop because of the dizziness. I felt bad for wasting it, but that weird feeling was troublesome. It was a..in English, I think you say wine mix with..fruit..juices.

I think some people are more prone to alcoholism than others perhaps because of genetics, but more importantly because of their reasons behind why they keep pushing their limits. If that's the case, it's good to call it quits on alcohol if one is prone to drunkenness. There are many people out there who are not able to drink as well because of medical conditions, certain medicines they take, etc. which is okay, too. Drinking alcohol is definitely a personal choice, and it does become sinful if you get drunk.

I could never handle things like beers because they taste too nasty to me, I usually stick with a light drink such as a wine. I know some people who drink stronger drinks call what I drink, "1% alcohol, and 99% juice," but I'd rather drink something that isn't so strong anyway.

As Rednal said, one can always decline a drink and there's nothing wrong with that and people don't typically mind. 3nodding

To drink alcohol or not to drink alcohol is a choice and we choose to drink or not to drink based on things such as scripture, if our bodies can handle alcohol, how prone we are to being drunk, and if we can be a responsible drinker or not. There are many factors on that personal choice, but whether one chooses to drink responsible or not drink at all - neither decision is wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm
Rednal
Of course, on the other hand, all those guys drinking were already pretty smashed, and Jesus still made more alcohol for them, low proof or not... take that as you will. whee

Ha ha, yeah xD man, just imaging that scene in my mind. It's quite the scene.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm
Aquatic_blue
Servant Reborn

I think some people are more prone to alcoholism than others perhaps because of genetics, but more importantly because of their reasons behind why they keep pushing their limits. If that's the case, it's good to call it quits on alcohol if one is prone to drunkenness. There are many people out there who are not able to drink as well because of medical conditions, certain medicines they take, etc. which is okay, too. Drinking alcohol is definitely a personal choice, and it does become sinful if you get drunk.

I could never handle things like beers because they taste too nasty to me, I usually stick with a light drink such as a wine. I know some people who drink stronger drinks call what I drink, "1% alcohol, and 99% juice," but I'd rather drink something that isn't so strong anyway.

As Rednal said, one can always decline a drink and there's nothing wrong with that and people don't typically mind. 3nodding

To drink alcohol or not to drink alcohol is a choice and we choose to drink or not to drink based on things such as scripture, if our bodies can handle alcohol, how prone we are to being drunk, and if we can be a responsible drinker or not. There are many factors on that personal choice, but whether one chooses to drink responsible or not drink at all - neither decision is wrong.
Yeah, you're right. Plus, I must have low tolerance because ya know I never drink. I hope I can be more neutral towards alcohol then.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:07 am
Aquatic_blue
BrightEyesWillFly

That's how I am - I usually drink a sweet white wine once in a while because I have stomach issues and oddly, wine calms my stomach down. I enjoy sweet, light flavors that aren't overwhelming. Normally once a week or once every few weeks is good as far as my body goes. If I know I'm catching a cold, I will take a shot of something that still won't make me drunk, but will get rid of the bad germs in my body and often times - that helps.

Yes, that's the sad part is addiction. I think that's truly when a person's temple is being torn down - when they are drunk all the time are care not about the important things in life. I usually think, "Drink the amount you actually need without getting drunk, and no more than that." It makes me annoyed and upset when going to school, you would hear people joke about being drunk and how they act while their drunk and some people are like, "I'm going to drink until I'm drunk!" It's never a good idea to think that way =/

Everything you're saying makes a lot of sense. Drinking has kind of been a problem within my family, which I hope stops at some point, and not in a bad way. I think a line should be drawn even when someone thinks about getting drunk. That's my opinion. Moderation really is key in that area.

When I was younger, I took a taste of a few drinks at a friend's house, and a sip or two of something else. Then, when I turned 21 last year, I thought I'd try something out. I thought it'd be a fun idea, but that wasn't the only thing in my mind. I didn't want to get anything strong and considered very much what my parents thought about me drinking. My dad personally doesn't want me to drink, and I felt bad about it because I still drank later on. I had drank a few bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade. I decided to try that out because I love lemonade, and it's pretty low in alcohol content. Since then I haven't drank any alcohol, and I've decided if I drink anything, it'll be in moderation and more than likely only every now and then.  

Recite

Mega Noob

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am
I am not sure of what I believe when it comes to drinking as a sin. I have seen some scripture to warn us about wine, and another about only use it for stomach sake, which is in terms for medical purposes. I never tasted wine in my life, but I did taste beer when I was only 5 years old. My father had a glass of beer on the table and I took a sip. It was the most horrid tasting thing I ever tasted. I will never get that taste out of my mouth.

But when some ask me what I think about drinking, I always fall on this verse in Proverbs 21:1. "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." Basically, wine is a temptation that can lead into many temptations. Yes, it can lead to drunkenness, and we have a lot of scriptures talk about how drunkenness is a sin. However, being drunk can lead into other sins, such as rape, theft, or murder.

That is why I don't drink. Not because I do not like the taste, but it is a temptation that can lead to addiction and to other sins. Like I said to many people, "The best way to get rid of temptation is to get rid of the source."  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 am
I used to be a party person between the ages of 17 and 20, and I drunk A LOT during that time. I even blacked out and passed out once during a party with some heavy drinking. It was a very dark point in my life, and I'm thankful God rescued me from it through His Word and wisdom.

Nowadays, when it comes to me and alcohol, I rarely drink. When I do, it's just a glass of wine, or one cooler, or on extremely rare occasions, a cocktail. That's enough for me.

It's no longer a temptation for me, because sadly, I had to learn the hard way what it does to a person. I found no real joy in being drunk, and now I see no real use or quality in life in getting drunk. I think some people get annoyed with me when I don't sit there and pat them on the back when they talk about how smashed they're going to get, or how they partied so hard the night before. Why would I be proud of that? lol Life offers way better things to do with one's time, and way better things that are actually beneficial to the liver, you know?

I am not tempted to drink a lot when I have my rare glass of wine, or my rare bottle of malt beverage. Sometimes that one glass is too much, because I'm just looking for the taste, not the amount I can drink. And I'm certainly not tempted to do terrible things when I have my one drink, either. My mother and I have two bottles of wine in our fridge, but like most bottles of wine we buy, they tend to sit in the fridge for months without being drunk ever again, lol. Fine by us.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 am
Recite
Aquatic_blue
BrightEyesWillFly

Everything you're saying makes a lot of sense. Drinking has kind of been a problem within my family, which I hope stops at some point, and not in a bad way. I think a line should be drawn even when someone thinks about getting drunk. That's my opinion. Moderation really is key in that area.

When I was younger, I took a taste of a few drinks at a friend's house, and a sip or two of something else. Then, when I turned 21 last year, I thought I'd try something out. I thought it'd be a fun idea, but that wasn't the only thing in my mind. I didn't want to get anything strong and considered very much what my parents thought about me drinking. My dad personally doesn't want me to drink, and I felt bad about it because I still drank later on. I had drank a few bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade. I decided to try that out because I love lemonade, and it's pretty low in alcohol content. Since then I haven't drank any alcohol, and I've decided if I drink anything, it'll be in moderation and more than likely only every now and then.

Most definitely 3nodding I do believe there are circumstances where people shouldn't drink alcohol at all - everyone is unique in different and this is something that is a matter of choice and everyone has their personal reasons of why they do or don't drink. Although, some reasons on why people drink aren't always the best.

I'm not sure what my real parents take on alcohol is. I have a feeling that they don't mind it being cooked into certain foods because most of it cooks out - considering my sister has ordered beer-battered fish at a restaurant and my parents were fine with it. My parents didn't have alcohol around because they didn't want us kids, being under aged and all to get curious and decide to drink it. Not sure if they have too much against alcohol or not. However, I have a feeling that if my parents knew I had a bottle of wine in my cabinet right now - they wouldn't be too thrilled.  
Friendly Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff