Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

reshi xx

Tipsy Capitalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm
User Image

User Image

Hey, girls!

Foreign language... such a beautiful thing. In my school, a students are required to take a foreign language class every year, but that is just because we're an iB school. My friend's school requires two years of foreign language.

They offer Spanish and French where I go. You choose one during freshman year, and can take the other as well during junior year, only you're in the freshman class.
I'm taking French!

What is offered at your school? What do you take?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm
My school required me to take 3 years, which for me was Spanish. They also had the option to take French, Chinese or Latin as well though!

They used to offer Italian and Japanese as well, but unfortunately those go cut because of the school's budget ):

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

reshi xx

Tipsy Capitalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm
Emo Pankakes

User Image

User Image

Ooh, Latin! That would be an interesting one to take, though I doubt many people did.

Other campuses of my school offer Mandarin Chinese and German, but they don't offer it at my campus, though I would have loved to take German.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Our school offers a variety of languages, actually.

The mandatory language is French, which you have to take in the first year (we're Canadian, that's why. (: ) and then you can stay in French of choose Spanish, Italian, Mandarin and Japanese.
        We still technically offer Korean, Croatian and Punjabi, but those rarely run because of lack of teachers/students.

I'm currently taking French, but next year I might take an intro to Mandarin course, which I'm excited about! (:

Spottedteddybears

Vicious Pants

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 pm
Reshi das Assassin

Latin is more popular than you'd think! I actually had quite a few friends who were taking it. More kids at my school take it than Chinese, and more kids continue to their 5th year of Latin than they do the 5th year of any other language choice. Kind of a surprise to everyone I guess lol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm
User Image
In junior high you could choose English, Spanish,
German or French. I chose Spanish~

In senior high, you could choose Spanish, English, French, German,
Latin, sign language, Russian, Italian and Japanese. I studied
Spanish the first year and the last two was Japanese. :3

mahou prince

Sweetheart

passerella

Friendly Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:24 pm
At my school you had to take a year of french, german or Japanese.
I took Japanese and it was interesting but way too complicated lol.

Now I'm out of school but I've started trying to learn Italian through Duolingo.com, it's a free site that teaches french, german, italian, Portuguese or Spanish and it's actually really fun, you should check it out : )  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 am
My school offered Spanish, French and English (there weren't enough students to open a German class).
I wanted to learn German but, since there weren't enough students, I ended up continuing with English just for the grade. I wouldn't learn anything new in the Spanish/ French classes and I'm way better at English.  

Anaaaeu

Kaiko luv

Friendly Friend

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:53 am
I go to an IB school also! We have French, German, and Spanish at my school. I'm taking french!
C:  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm
My high school offers only French and Spanish. Regents degree only requires two years, Advanced Regents three or four
I loopholed and took ASL at the local college
But that's all said local college offers other than the two my high school offers
So glad I graduated this year  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:18 pm
My school lets us start taking a language as early as 8th grade and so long as you take at least 2 years of a language before you graduate, you will pass high school. Spanish, French, and Chinese were offered (they used to offer German but that was replaced with Chinese). I took 4 years of Chinese and since next year is my last year, I am taking Spanish because I have talked to a few of the Spanish teachers and they are nice xD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:19 pm
Wow. More than a little jealous right now...
The junior high I went to didn't have any languages. The middle school I transferred to offered Spanish, but I was too late.
My high school only has Spanish, French, German, and Japanese.
(Instead of choosing the one my fam speaks, Spanish, I chose Japanese xD I don't regret it at all.)

But I suppose it's better this way, if I had all those options I'd always be thinking, "What if I had chosen that one instead...". The thought would bother me for eternity burning_eyes

The Maharani

Rachel Zara

Shy Millionaire

5,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 am
My school offers Spanish, French, and Italian, starting in 7th grade. Starting in 10th grade, you can also take Latin. I think we only require one year of foreign language in high school, but I'm going to be a senior this year and I'm still taking it biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 am
♥ ♥ . . .
    In highschool we had 3 years of english and german- both of them were required, and you could only choose if you are starting up with beginner or advanced level.
    Now, on uni, theoretically we can choose from english, german, french, russian, spanish, italian and swedish (if not more, i'm not really sure), but my major has groups only for english. We'd have to join groups from other majors, which usually are in time we're having different classes ; -;

. . . ♥ ♥

Lady Ignea

Sweet Singing

Zaviire

Neophyte Raider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm
..♠..

The school I go to requires at least two years of a (as in, the same) foreign language to graduate, though I myself am planning to take mine for all four years (and perhaps on into college if possible?). They offer Spanish, French, German, American Sign Language, and Latin (apparently they used to offer some form of Chinese, according to my mom? I seriously doubt it though, unfortunately, though a language like that would have been hella interesting) and they have AP classes in all of those for those of us who aren't just in it for fulfilling graduation requirements.

I myself am taking German, though most of the people I know are taking Spanish for obvious reasons... It's pretty prominent around here, so understanding it would be more beneficial in the long run. Though one of my friends took Latin last year and didn't like it, and now is switching over to German. Another one of my friends is also taking American Sign Language... which is pretty cool I suppose though not all colleges accept it as a foreign language, or so I'm told. But who am I to judge others' decisions. ^^; I'm really loving my German class though, partially because we also get little trivia since our teacher is actually from Germany.

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff