Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Terms

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Katana left the site

Angelic Shade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 am
Bi-curious? Polysexual? I ain't got a clue.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:42 am
I think bi-curious is when someone kind of questions their sexuality, whether they're Bi, straight, or homosexual. Poly- means multiple, many. So it means someone's attracted to multiple sexs? I dunno. Labels are really used by most of us just to feel a part of a group. Not always a bad thing to do so. yum_puddi  

Koinu-tan

Hilarious Pup

3,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Junior Trader 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 am
Nutty_ The Squirrell
I think bi-curious is when someone kind of questions their sexuality, whether they're Bi, straight, or homosexual. Poly- means multiple, many. So it means someone's attracted to multiple sexs? I dunno. Labels are really used by most of us just to feel a part of a group. Not always a bad thing to do so. yum_puddi

bi curious is being curious about wether or not you are bi, its not really a sexual orientation

and neither is polysexual. poly is just a term for people who want or who have more than one partner  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:53 pm
Shanna66

bi curious is being curious about wether or not you are bi, its not really a sexual orientation

and neither is polysexual. poly is just a term for people who want or who have more than one partner

You're referring to polyamory, which is not the same as being polysexual.

For example, I am polysexual, which means I am attracted to both male and female, but also to genders outside of the gender binary. Not ALL genders, but some besides cisgender persons. This shouldn't be confused with being pansexual, because I am not gender-blind when it comes to who I'm attracted to.

I am not polyamorous, meaning I don't have/desire multiple partners. In fact, I am a very monogamous person, and I would desire whatever partner I may have in the future to also be monogamous.

emotion_bigheart

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 pm
s o a p n u t

Thanks for the clarification! I've heard the term "polysexual" before, but wasn't sure on the exact meaning. It makes sense, too, since there's a big difference between "pan" (all) and "poly" (multiple).  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm
Taeryyn

Not a problem. I can understand where the confusion lies, haha.

But I agree with Shanna66 when it comes to being bi-curious. I wouldn't really consider that an orientation as I would consider it a term for someone who is exploring both sexes, thus being "curious."

At the end of the day, though, labels can come and go. I like taking on the labels of polysexual and demisexual because they best reflect my orientation, but it's something I don't necessarily have to do. It's just short and sweet compared to going into all the details in between (unless someone specifically asks).

emotion_bigheart

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm
s o a p n u t
It's just short and sweet compared to going into all the details in between (unless someone specifically asks).

emotion_bigheart

This is why I usually just describe myself as queer. blaugh
That said, I think polysexual is the closest thing to my own orientation that I've yet encountered. I've never really felt that bisexual really fit, and pansexual felt too broad to be accurate for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm
Taeryyn

Same here. After I started to really reflect on my sexuality, I almost settled with just calling myself queer because like you, I felt pansexuality was much too broad and didn't describe how I felt towards specific genders.  

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm
s o a p n u t
Shanna66

You're referring to polyamory, which is not the same as being polysexual.

For example, I am polysexual, which means I am attracted to both male and female, but also to genders outside of the gender binary. Not ALL genders, but some besides cisgender persons. This shouldn't be confused with being pansexual, because I am not gender-blind when it comes to who I'm attracted to.

I am not polyamorous, meaning I don't have/desire multiple partners. In fact, I am a very monogamous person, and I would desire whatever partner I may have in the future to also be monogamous.

emotion_bigheart

i will never be able to keep up with all the new terms people come up with, there are so many

but i will say that polysexual does at least sound like a useful term  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm
Shanna66

i will never be able to keep up with all the new terms people come up with, there are so many

but i will say that polysexual does at least sound like a useful term

There are SO many, lol. But I think it's actually kind of interesting because all the terms, in some ways, shows that people are realizing that we all don't really fit into neat little boxes. :]

And indeed. It's definitely a good term for people who don't identify with bisexual or pansexual, but are somewhere in between. Though I find queer a good term, too, for anyone who just doesn't want to find a specific term for their orientation at all. It's whatever you feel reflects you best, if you want to take on a label at all.

emotion_bigheart

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas