Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
On the subject of names...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:58 am
Up until a week ago I wanted my female name to be Jolyne Joestar. After Jolyne Kujo and Jonathan Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Then I was told there is an unpleasant stereotype about women with "star" in their name.

Why is there an ugly stereotype against women with "star" as part of their name?

I might be odd but unless a person wants to be called something like "Satan Hitler" I don't judge people by their name. I judge them by their actions.

I would even be fine with a totally non-Asian person changing his name to Hideki Miyamoto. If the name makes you happy and isn't something as evil sounding as "Satan Stalin Hitler" I am fine with it.

Anyway, yeah. How did that stereotype about women with "star" in their name come about?

And why should it matter what name a person has if the person didn't CHOOSE to have a name that sounds threatening, or something as outlandish as "Dweezil" or "Moon Unit"?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 am
People are just finding more stuff to be picky about.  

Crazy_Evil_Mother7

Ferocious Sweetheart

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am
I think it's a nice name.

I don't know why people would be disagreeable about names that have "star" in them. Sounds like a personal problem to me. Don't worry about it.

It's not like those poor brother and sister's names, the brother's name being Adolf Hitler and the sister's name being Aryan Nation. No joke—you can look up articles about it.

And it's not like you're changing your name to Luke Skywalker (which there are people who have done that), though honestly, that would be kind of neat, lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 am
I'd just ignore any stereotypes about the name. People find the stupidest things to judge about. Personally, when I see star in any part of the name I think of a dreamer, a visionary.  

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 am
I can't say I've ever heard of any particular stereotype about women with "star" in their name, let alone an unpleasant one.

Most people don't even choose their own names. When I hear someone with an odd name, at most, I might wonder why their parents chose to name them that way.

Edited, since I had more to add:
There's nothing wrong with someone choosing a name from a culture that's not their own, but I think it's important that they make themselves aware of the meaning(s) or connotations associated with their chosen name.

It might not be fair or right, but your name will be one of the first impressions you give. Adolf might have been a lovely name at one point, but as you yourself pointed out, it's now associated with hatred and atrocities.

Still, if you absolutely love a specific name, and it means a lot to you, then seriously, ******** what other people think of it. People who care about you are going to do so no matter what your name is, and anyone who can't get past their initial impression of your name isn't worth worrying about.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 pm
I don't just want to be passing in appearance, I want to be passing in name. That means having a name that does not stick out like a sore thumb.

And the name stereotype is that girls named "Star" or "Starla" are slutty if I recall right.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:29 pm
I see. The only Starr that comes to mind for me is a TV news anchor in my home province. razz  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:38 pm
I have a cousin named Star so I always assumed it just meant "country person name." Like Hunter or Bubba.  

tiedyedtrash

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:22 pm
I don't see anything wrong with that name - I think people are just going to be picky. Especially if it's something that has meaning to you - that's a lot more than a lot of us can say about our names xP

That being said, yeah... I do have a problem with cultural appropriation in names, but that's a separate issue altogether. If it's a naming convention that is meaningful and sensitive to the native tradition, then of course that's cool, but it does bother me when people adopt names from a culture other than their own without a particularly good reason for it or without respect from the tradition from which they borrowed. But hey. I would say that is true about any name - it should always be respectful to the best of anyone's ability.

Which, by the way, I think yours totally is >.<

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:40 pm
This is the first I've heard of it.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items