Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
When Cults come Knocking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 am
a summary of Karl Alsin's article published in Discipleship Journal,
Issue 115 (Jan/Feb 2000)

When people in cults come to my door, I don't see them as an inconvenience; I see them as a mission field. My goal is not to convert them on the spot. Rather, my purpose is to bring them one step closer to Christ, to remove even one obstacle in their journey to the cross. To accomplish this I have developed a plan that uses their Bible to help them discover truth. It's the Bible, the Word of God, not my arguments that will convince them.

It is my prayer that, by reading this, you may also learn a method that has helped me reach people in cults for Christ. The goal of this approach is self-discovery. We can't tell them what to believe because they won't accept it from us. We can, however, seek to lead them to the truth.

Let's take a look at each step of the process:

Have them read: When cult members read through a passage of Scripture, it involved them in the process of learning. If you read to them, they are trained to think about the next point in their proselytizing outline while you talk.

Out loud: If you merely show them a verse and expect them to read it silently, they will glance at it and scan their memory for their cult's standard response. Reading out loud will engage their minds. You want them to think about the Scripture they are reading, instead of rehearsing a response.

From their Bible: They don't trust your Bible even if it agrees with theirs. When they read from their Bible, they discover that their own Scripture proclaims gospel truth.

While you ask questions: After they've finished reading, ask some simple questions about the passage to help them observe what it teaches. This may help them think about what their Bibles really teaches instead of focusing on a predetermined agenda.

C.U.L.T. Distortions
Cults tend to depart from a historic Christian understanding of the Bible in Four Key Areas. I have built an acronym using the word "C.U.L.T." to highlight these distortions. For each point, I've also identified some questions drawn from the Scriptures to expose these inaccuracies.

Christianity rejected.
Cults often suggest that the “true” Christian church has failed, thinned out, or died. They may also believe some of Jesus teaching was omitted from the Bible or was subverted by self-seeking, godless men. The result, they say, is a contemporary Christian church that doesn't teach the truth. Thus, they reject Christianity. To address this, I ask them to read Jude 3, which tells us to "contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints." Then I ask some questions such as: How many times was the faith delivered? (Once); How long will that faith last? (For all time); Is there any chance Christianity might die out? (no). You might also consider using Matt. 16:18 to confront this argument about the church's purity and vitality.

Use a new truth.
Cults attract followers by claiming they possess newly revealed truth. New truth often centers on an individual with a supposed pipeline to God, a new set of scriptures, or both. "The Bible is OK," they say, "but it's not enough. You need this extra book of scriptures or the correct interpretation of the Bible. Then you will have sufficient truth." Cults try to convince people that they cannot have access to these new truths through any other group.
But Isaiah 40:8 clearly challenges such claims: "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."

Consider asking these questions: What is it that stands forever? (The Word of God); Does it seem possible that the Word of God could change, become corrupted, or disappear? (No)

New truth is unnecessary because the Bible's original revelation is sufficient, unchanging, and stands forever. You might also consider together Psalm 119:89 and Isaiah 55:10-11.

Look for salvation apart from Christ.
Many cults use familiar Christian words or phrases but with different meanings. Some, for example, call Jesus their Savior. Others say they are saved by grace. But we must look closely at statements such as these.
In cults, salvation is always established by some form of works. Members must conform to an external code. Leaders use guilt, fear, and manipulation to motivate people to make sacrifices for the cult and to recruit new members. They teach their followers that the end is near and urge them to work hard to attain salvation. This work often includes some type of proselytizing.

New Testament message of salvation by grace counters the cults' emphasis upon works. In Eph. 2:8-9, Paul wrote, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast."

This passage and many others clearly teach that God graciously offers salvation as a free gift. It cannot be earned. With this verse, I might ask: How are we saved? (By accepting God's gift of salvation) Can we save ourselves? (No. We are unable to earn salvation through our works. Faith alone allows us to receive God's gift.)

For anyone who asks about the place of good works in the life of a Christian, I would continue with verse 10: "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." God has prepared good works for believers to complete, but their purpose is not to earn salvation. Instead, our good works testify that God is at work in and through our lives. For additional study, see John 6:28-29, Gal. 2:16, 21, and Titus 3:4-7.

Teach another Jesus.
Many cults claim some sort of spiritual connection to Jesus yet distort the claims He made about Himself in the Bible. They refuse to accept Him on His terms. The Mormons believe that Jesus is an exalted man, not the eternal Son of God. To the Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus is Michael, the archangel. To the Moonies, Jesus was a very good man who failed in His mission. The Way International asserts that Jesus was a specially created, perfect man.
The Bible teaches that Jesus is the eternal Son of God and God the Son. This is the heart of the gospel. Paul spoke to the Galatian church in strong terms when it veered from the gospel into legalism: "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!" Gal. 1:8

What Jesus offers depends upon His identity. For example, since Jesus is God, He can offer us eternal life. Since Jesus was fully man, He was able to bear sin's penalty for me. In John 14:6, Jesus tells us, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." After cultists read this verse aloud, I ask them: Who is the way to the Father? (Jesus Christ) If I am wrong about Jesus, will I still get into heaven? (No. We are only able to receive eternal life from the one who is able to give eternal life.)

You cannot follow Jesus yet deny His own words about Himself in the Bible. Jesus alone offers us salvation and enables us to live godly lives. He makes what cults have to offer unnecessary. Matthew 24:23-25 and I John 4:1-3 are other important passages about Christ's identity.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 am
I'd like to see what anyone thinks about one cult called the Twelve Tribes: www.twelvetribes.org

They base their doctrines on the Bible, mostly using NKJV (and maybe another version; I can't remember), but have tons of supplements. Not supplements for the Bible itself, like how Mormons have the Book of Mormon, but supplements to their teachings based off Scripture.

They have lots of wild ideas about people from the past. Probably one of the wildest is that they believe Abraham Lincoln did the wrong thing by freeing black people from slavery. You can read about that on their website. But there's a lot of pretty odd and perturbing stuff in between. Needless to say, you won't be able to get into everything unless you're a part of the cult yourself.

I used to be connected to this group, and was a part of it for a short while. The closer you get, the more you see the darker side of Twelve Tribes. Of course, you can look up accusations against them made by ex members and those connected to ex members—whether many of those accusations are true or not, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I don't doubt, though, that some of them may be true, while others might've been fabricated out of hate and resentment.

As for me, while I do believe Twelve Tribes is a cult, it's a cult that holds one of my dearest friends hostage: an older woman in her forties named Laurie (but called Nogah within the cult) who lives in one of their communities with her husband and children. She was like a mother to me, and I love her dearly. She was struggling a lot the last time I was down there, but she was firm in believing she had to stay and "destroy her thoughts" of unbelief and rebellion. And another older woman named Tikvah (whose real name I don't know); I met her two years earlier, and she was full of light and personality. When I saw her again, she was solemn and had lost that light. It seemed like the burdens of the cult had changed her, like it had changed so many, and like it had tried to change me.

But these are people that won't go to people's doors and tell you their message, but they also don't have gated, isolated homes where no one can come or go. The only thing that I think keeps people from leaving, though, is that the cult wants people to give up everything if they truly "hear the truth." I don't doubt that there are people in Twelve Tribes who only stay because they would literally have nothing to their name if they left. It's not hard to imagine that anyone born into the cult and raised there wouldn't be able to get a job on their own. I can't imagine how hard it was for those who had been raised in the cult to leave and fend for themselves in some way.

These are people that need to be found, and they can be found. Twelve Tribes has many businesses, including delis, cafes, carpentry shops, etc. There are lots of different little businesses they have. You can also find them at farmer's markets. This is, of course, if you happen to live near a Twelve Tribes community.

Anyway, I just thought I should share. Twelve Tribes is growing, and will continue to grow as long as there are people who are searching, desperately groping for truth, understanding, acceptance, and love. Cults strive off of those who feel rejected, cast off, and misunderstood; those that are naïve, ignorant, and alone. I think it's so important to remember that it's not just about doctrine, but about emotion and human connection. As PEOPLE, we need to be more accepting and loving towards people, lest they find cults like the Twelve Tribes that offer what others have not given.

One of the Twelve Tribes songs was my favorite: "Love Is Our Home." It says, "no more separation, or fear of rejection; for we are entering into, a secret love affair of the heart!" I think the song speaks a lot about what's on the hearts of those who've entered the cult: someone or something, whether it'd be loved ones, society, or a church, rejected them, and the Twelve Tribes was the only place where people seemed to truly accept them with arms wide open.

I think the song is just a reflection of what others failed to do for the people who went into the cult, and while that song is my favorite (because it is such a hopeful song), it also makes me sad. I didn't realize, for a long time, what it was truly revealing. And what's worse, while I believe many within Twelve Tribes desire greatly to love others and be selfless, I think many in authority use that love as a way to manipulate. But do I think this cult is like Jone's Town? No, I don't; but I do wonder when the day will come where something breaks apart. It only scares me because it very could cause individual cases of violence. They believe they're in the last 40 years before the second coming, so... it's like watching a train wreck before it happens.

I'm sorry if this post wasn't totally on topic. It just triggered a lot of memories, and I felt like any other big cult, even the smaller ones need to be known about, especially the ones that DON'T go seeking out people.  

kdke

Anxious Noob

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:55 pm
kdke
I'd like to see what anyone thinks about one cult called the Twelve Tribes: www.twelvetribes.org

They base their doctrines on the Bible, mostly using NKJV (and maybe another version; I can't remember), but have tons of supplements. Not supplements for the Bible itself, like how Mormons have the Book of Mormon, but supplements to their teachings based off Scripture.

They have lots of wild ideas about people from the past. Probably one of the wildest is that they believe Abraham Lincoln did the wrong thing by freeing black people from slavery. You can read about that on their website. But there's a lot of pretty odd and perturbing stuff in between. Needless to say, you won't be able to get into everything unless you're a part of the cult yourself.

I used to be connected to this group, and was a part of it for a short while. The closer you get, the more you see the darker side of Twelve Tribes. Of course, you can look up accusations against them made by ex members and those connected to ex members—whether many of those accusations are true or not, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I don't doubt, though, that some of them may be true, while others might've been fabricated out of hate and resentment.

As for me, while I do believe Twelve Tribes is a cult, it's a cult that holds one of my dearest friends hostage: an older woman in her forties named Laurie (but called Nogah within the cult) who lives in one of their communities with her husband and children. She was like a mother to me, and I love her dearly. She was struggling a lot the last time I was down there, but she was firm in believing she had to stay and "destroy her thoughts" of unbelief and rebellion. And another older woman named Tikvah (whose real name I don't know); I met her two years earlier, and she was full of light and personality. When I saw her again, she was solemn and had lost that light. It seemed like the burdens of the cult had changed her, like it had changed so many, and like it had tried to change me.

But these are people that won't go to people's doors and tell you their message, but they also don't have gated, isolated homes where no one can come or go. The only thing that I think keeps people from leaving, though, is that the cult wants people to give up everything if they truly "hear the truth." I don't doubt that there are people in Twelve Tribes who only stay because they would literally have nothing to their name if they left. It's not hard to imagine that anyone born into the cult and raised there wouldn't be able to get a job on their own. I can't imagine how hard it was for those who had been raised in the cult to leave and fend for themselves in some way.

These are people that need to be found, and they can be found. Twelve Tribes has many businesses, including delis, cafes, carpentry shops, etc. There are lots of different little businesses they have. You can also find them at farmer's markets. This is, of course, if you happen to live near a Twelve Tribes community.

Anyway, I just thought I should share. Twelve Tribes is growing, and will continue to grow as long as there are people who are searching, desperately groping for truth, understanding, acceptance, and love. Cults strive off of those who feel rejected, cast off, and misunderstood; those that are naïve, ignorant, and alone. I think it's so important to remember that it's not just about doctrine, but about emotion and human connection. As PEOPLE, we need to be more accepting and loving towards people, lest they find cults like the Twelve Tribes that offer what others have not given.

One of the Twelve Tribes songs was my favorite: "Love Is Our Home." It says, "no more separation, or fear of rejection; for we are entering into, a secret love affair of the heart!" I think the song speaks a lot about what's on the hearts of those who've entered the cult: someone or something, whether it'd be loved ones, society, or a church, rejected them, and the Twelve Tribes was the only place where people seemed to truly accept them with arms wide open.

I think the song is just a reflection of what others failed to do for the people who went into the cult, and while that song is my favorite (because it is such a hopeful song), it also makes me sad. I didn't realize, for a long time, what it was truly revealing. And what's worse, while I believe many within Twelve Tribes desire greatly to love others and be selfless, I think many in authority use that love as a way to manipulate. But do I think this cult is like Jone's Town? No, I don't; but I do wonder when the day will come where something breaks apart. It only scares me because it very could cause individual cases of violence. They believe they're in the last 40 years before the second coming, so... it's like watching a train wreck before it happens.

I'm sorry if this post wasn't totally on topic. It just triggered a lot of memories, and I felt like any other big cult, even the smaller ones need to be known about, especially the ones that DON'T go seeking out people.

I would say this was right on topic. ^^ The Twelve Tribes does just what other cults do, they play on peoples need to belong, and focus on having a revelation that is only available through their own cult. To quote them: "If you are a Christian, your soul is in great jeopardy. You have received a false gospel that has given you the false hope of going to heaven when you die. You have received another Jesus,73 not the True One,74 Yahshua the Messiah, therefore you are still in your sins. But if you are willing to do the Father’s will, you can be released from your captivity, to serve Him where He is.75 We invite you to come!"

It is in stark contrast to what scripture tells us that our faith has been delivered to us by the saints. (Jude 1:3)

We are warned not to listen to anyone, even if it came from the mouth of the discipleship themselves if the the message they bring is a different gospel. [Galatians 1:8]

We are promised by Christ himself that Satan will not prevail over the church. [Matthew 16:18] The claim that the church has apostatized is not based on a right interpretation of scripture, and is a claim cults frequently use to control members or gain new ones. Red flags should come up if anyone or any organization claim that they alone have the truth, or that they are the remnant church.

It is never specified in Scripture that you have to belong to a certain denomination, or group to be saved. What scripture say:

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Quote:
Probably one of the wildest is that they believe Abraham Lincoln did the wrong thing by freeing black people from slavery.

To me that kind of puts them in the same wing as the Christian Identity Movement. They fail to see that all human beings are created in the image of God, and that Jesus is the great equalizer. [Galatians 3:28] Racism is a sin. Promoting one race over another, or at the expense of another is a sin. (Acts 17:26)

I tried to do some research before you made this post, on the Twelve Tribes but it was difficult to find out much about their doctrine and beliefs. I intend to write about as many cults as possible so that the information is available for people in this guild in case any of us come across, or know someone trapped in a cult. It is not always easy to know how to approach it, but any approach should be with gentleness and love .

Quote:
As PEOPLE, we need to be more accepting and loving towards people, lest they find cults like the Twelve Tribes that offer what others have not given.

As Christians, we need to show our love for those around us, brothers, sisters and the unsaved. Be our brothers and sisters keepers, friends and support system. Offer them true love that we are able to give through Jesus so that they don't go searching where there is non. You are right. It is ultimately what it boils down to. That is how it is with all opposing philosophies, groups or religions. People seek them out to fill in something that is missing. Everyone feels it, and try to fill it in with various lacking supplements. When they find something that offers a temporary relief they settle with it. What they really are looking for is Jesus, they just are not aware of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a post about Mormons, but I'm curious about any advice you might have on how to reach out to them specifically, since I live in a very Mormon area.  

Water of Fenri

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm
kdke

Most of what they say is spot on, but does lead into some Replacement Theology, I know Gentile Christians to be grafted into the Olive Tree so to speak though to say they are the only one's leads me to the cult-like attitude. They may be missing the 144k Jews and the Gospel that is shared throughout the world during the 7 year Tribulation Period. The lying wonders/signs of the Beast (False Prophet) Again most Christians who endure unto the end are pretty much dovetailed in with the remaining Jewish people. (See Pre-Trib, Mid-Trib Post Trib Saints) X) It's loaded question. and a mystery for me.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 am
Water of Fenri
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a post about Mormons, but I'm curious about any advice you might have on how to reach out to them specifically, since I live in a very Mormon area.

There's a topic Here. Knowing the person you are talking to on a personal level can be an advantage. An easy way to witness to Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

THY SOUL HEALER

2,975 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:14 pm
The tittle say enough. I dislike the Satanist cult, things they teach is truly selfish and savage. I was given text and with in their zones, the slang talk, insults, no holy goals, just dogs barking back and forward in english. With out Chrisf I swear all I hear is ruff ruff cursing bark bark insults and kill. Please keep me out the dog house, we humans doing our own thing is just sad.  
Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games