Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Being A Man: Not Being "Trans Enough"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tiedyedtrash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 am
So basically I'm Pre-T, Pre-Everything. This is a topic that's seriously bothered me for a while, and honestly I feel I need to discuss it.

First off, I don't always experience dysphoria. There are times where I can overlook that I'm biologically female and be more open, confident,and less worried about passing because I know that no matter what I do, I'm still a guy.
However, there are times when I just can't, and various aspects of everyday life just emphasize how female my body is. I really want to transition mainly for the ability of feeling more confident than actually passing, though I really would love to pass better. Physically, I can pass on occasion, but not all of the time. I'm really, really short. I'm barely over 5ft tall.

What's really important, and the main topic of the post, is that I completely identify as male even though people think I'm too feminine or neither masculine or feminine and am "not trans enough." Also the simple fact that I like other guys is also used against me. (I'm not gay, I like all genders) I mean people just don't accept me as male sometimes simply because I don't follow the All-Mighty Sterotypes That Were Foretold By The Ancient Ones. I just don't. And yet I'm still MALE.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:43 pm
Really what counts as too "feminine/masculine"? I don't care what counts as those labels. All it is stupid stereotypes, which people shouldn't be doing because it can badly mislabel someone. If you are a male, I see you as a male and vise versa. Doesn't matter to me what you are born as it's what you view yourself as. That's how everyone should see it, but of course they sadly don't.  

Chaotic Houndoom

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:14 pm
Don't let others tell you what you are; what matters is what you KNOW you are. I've noticed this stigma in the trans* community (though mind you, I'm just someone looking from the outside), and all I've seen come from it is a lot of emotional and mental abuse—even physical. There are a lot of people, because of the stigma and pressure of telling them they're "not trans enough," who transition before they're really ready for it, and that's not right. It should be on their own time, when they know they're prepared for the transition.

What it comes down to is that it's just plain stupid. Don't worry about it. Stand against the bullying.

Your post reminded of a video I watched a couple of weeks ago. It was made pretty much for situations like this. Here it is. Hope you like it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 am
Do you mean "feminine actions" (one of the biggest, muscle-bound guys I know loves knitting things for his girlfriend and romance movies both of which are stereotyped as "feminine.")
Or "feminine looks" (another friend, a guy, is sworn by most people to be a tomboyish girl because he looks more "feminine" yet any other way he's all "man.")
Because both things are just stupid stereotypes. As long as you know who you are, no one else's opinion matters. When someone insults you, just smile and walk away. Because it's THEIR loss, not your's.  

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100

Akira Ramage

Liberal Explorer

4,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm
sylasnstorm

Ok so I'm the same as you are. An yes it is very hard at the moment to be who I am. I am 5ft 2in. I'm look like a boy when my hair is short & like a girl when my hair is long, so I have androgynous looks. But I know it does get hard to pass, because hey I'm on the same boat as you. But let tell you something that sterotypical your not trans* enough crap is just that CRAP! I'm part of a website called FtM Den (look it up if you want) and there are a variety of FtM's out there. You don't have to be on T to be an FtM hell you don't even have to take T if you don't want to, as says this awesome FtM called Ryan Cassata. Ryan is an FtM who has had top surgery only and never plans on taking T. I'm like that too. I don't want T because I use my voice for a lot of things and I don't want it to change. So my main point is don't let the who your not trans* enough crap get to you; you be the man that you want to be and that's just it.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:37 pm
sylasnstorm
So basically I'm Pre-T, Pre-Everything. This is a topic that's seriously bothered me for a while, and honestly I feel I need to discuss it.

First off, I don't always experience dysphoria. There are times where I can overlook that I'm biologically female and be more open, confident,and less worried about passing because I know that no matter what I do, I'm still a guy.
However, there are times when I just can't, and various aspects of everyday life just emphasize how female my body is. I really want to transition mainly for the ability of feeling more confident than actually passing, though I really would love to pass better. Physically, I can pass on occasion, but not all of the time. I'm really, really short. I'm barely over 5ft tall.

What's really important, and the main topic of the post, is that I completely identify as male even though people think I'm too feminine or neither masculine or feminine and am "not trans enough." Also the simple fact that I like other guys is also used against me. (I'm not gay, I like all genders) I mean people just don't accept me as male sometimes simply because I don't follow the All-Mighty Sterotypes That Were Foretold By The Ancient Ones. I just don't. And yet I'm still MALE.

you are who you are and god loves you for being you. dont let anyone say what you are because they dont know  

dynamo5667

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 am
Queen Melethia Dagon
Really what counts as too "feminine/masculine"?

That's what I was thinking, actually. I didn't know that there were varying degrees of femininity and masculinity. I always thought that both were simply used as signifiers. At any case, just be who you want to be regardless of what others think, as cliche as that may sound.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games