Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:24 pm
made to carry 20 pounds of locker stuff for erasing her name  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:12 pm
That is so NOT right! It could cause her some major back problems in the future. Same with other students! That's just cruel and unusual punishment! Shame on whoever gave this stupid, unjust punishment!  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

JamesWN

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:18 pm
On the one hand, I never used my locker in middle or high school.

On the other hand, if I was one of her parents I'd be marching in there, cutting the tape off and telling them exactly where they can shove it. Especially with how some schools make you 'rent' the lockers nowandays.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:53 pm
Ironically, I was the kid who carried a 20 pound backpack. Specifically for the reason that, at the time, I thought it would be too time consuming to be going back and forth to my locker and trying to manage getting to class on time. But that was my choice, and I would have been responsible for any physical issues because of it. I think it's quite unjust to make a 13 year old girl carry something that could physically harm her. Not a smart punishment, and I really don't see how they can enforce such a thing. The mother is in the right, I believe.  

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:05 pm
Blind Blindness
Ironically, I was the kid who carried a 20 pound backpack. Specifically for the reason that, at the time, I thought it would be too time consuming to be going back and forth to my locker and trying to manage getting to class on time. But that was my choice, and I would have been responsible for any physical issues because of it. I think it's quite unjust to make a 13 year old girl carry something that could physically harm her. Not a smart punishment, and I really don't see how they can enforce such a thing. The mother is in the right, I believe.

Yep, it's definitely cruel and unusual punishment. I can't imagine the problems that girl could have physically, which would really be a bad idea. Especially if she's taking gym class or something involving sports.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:13 pm
Am I the only one questioning how she had that much stuff in her locker in the first place?
Or questioning that a middle school girl only weighs fifty pounds?
I don't know about anyone else, but even if I HAD used my locker in middle school, I'd never have had twenty pounds worth of stuff in it.
And even though I was short and small, I certainly weighed over fifty pounds. neutral

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 pm
Queen Spazzy
Am I the only one questioning how she had that much stuff in her locker in the first place?
I don't know about anyone else, but even if I HAD used my locker in middle school, I'd never have had twenty pounds worth of stuff in it.
And even though I was short and small, I certainly weighed over fifty pounds. neutral

50 pounds is incredibly skinny indeed. I don't know. In middle school I don't think I had close to twenty pounds, but in high school I did. But lots of teachers do require you to have separate notebooks for their classes, plus any textbooks, and that adds up fast. My book bag was a heap of crap.
But I still think it's an unreasonable punishment. I think an after school detention would have sufficed. I just don't think the punishment is really synonymous with the crime. I mean...why ban her from putting stuff in the locker? Why should any type of physical component be permitted unless she did something really bad? Unless they thought erasing one name was "bad enough." It's just a bit silly. But then again, it's yahoo. Who knows if they report the most accurately and complete xD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm
Queen Spazzy

Not just you wondering that. sweatdrop

Unless books have gotten even heavier than before.>>;  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 pm
Yuki_Windira
Queen Spazzy

Maybe it's because some of the books are thicker, which adds more weight inside the backpack. Not to mention adding in the notebooks and other supplies contained from the locker.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 am
Princess Zelda21
Yuki_Windira
Queen Spazzy

Maybe it's because some of the books are thicker, which adds more weight inside the backpack. Not to mention adding in the notebooks and other supplies contained from the locker.

That brings back painful memories.>.o' ~had a couple of backpacks rip from things like that along with backpains~  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

JamesWN

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 am
I know my highschool backpack weighed in at about 20 lbs with just two textbooks and a bunch of crap in it. And I was usually carrying a side track back along with it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 am
... Seriously?
Textbooks in general get hella heavy, man. I remember a few things from back in middle school, like being unable to go into our lockers during passing period. It sucked 'cuz I was a TA in seventh grade for one of the sixth grade classes all the way on the other side of the campus during my second period, so I ended up having to carry three classes worth of books and materials all the way out there to the portables with five minutes before the bell rang for second period to start, and then run back to the main building and to the end of the hallway for my next class. The admins would get on our cases even if the teacher wasn't there to unlock the door and our locker was just outside that class and we tried to open it. That was bullshit too. I was one of the small kids back then.

And really, I understand getting in trouble just for talking in class. But getting banned from your own locker just for "accidentally" erasing a name (I don't really see how else that would happen aside from bumping into the board if those names were written on it, but how much space was between the desks and the board is my question. I know middle school kids and their mischief.) is extreme. I agree with just having detention (lunchtime or after school.) as reasonable enough.  

Wakaji

Peculiar Wolf

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Yuki_Windira
Princess Zelda21
Yuki_Windira
Queen Spazzy

That brings back painful memories.>.o' ~had a couple of backpacks rip from things like that along with backpains~

Ooh, that's not fun! :/ I remember one of my backpacks began to get ripped in some areas probably after so much heavy objects in there. Mostly the history and math books I'd say. Though in truth, I hardly ever used my locker and didn't have a huge boat load of items in there. Most of the time I carried some in my arms, like my binder and one of the books.  
Randomness is a Virtue!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games