Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Art I~ Open- Intro 2061-'62 Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 pm
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

!

How marvelous of you to be here! Art I is the beginning of the Art curriculum here at Hogwarts. It teaches basic techniques, colors, and ideas to get students started on the rest of their Art careers. Or..wherever else it takes them. Myself? My name is Naitanna Ellis, or Professor Ellis to you, and I am a squib. To those who have never met a squib we are people born onto magical parents but have no magic ourselves. However, as you can see, it does not stop us from being fully functioning members of Magical Society. But enough about me! Let's move on to the important information.

Rules:
1) No speaking while I am speaking
2) Respect your fellow student
3) No sabotage of other's art
4) No derogatory remarks about another's art
5) Any racism regarding Muggleborns, Purebloods, Halfbloods, Squibs, Magical Creatures, or anyone else will be subject to removal from the classroom and from the class as well as serious point deductions.
6) Don't worry if you don't have all your supplies, some will be provided for you during class.
7) Art is about free expression! Try to remember that and have fun!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Lesson Knowledge:

[b]Art[/b]
[i]Third Year[/i]
[ ] Lighting and Frame/Intro to the Renaissance
[ ] Proportion- A look into Michelangelo and Raphael
[ ] Backgrounds and Perspective - A look into Leonardo Di Vinci

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:42 pm
A sincere artist is not one who makes a
faithful attempt to put on to canvas
what is in front of him, but one who tries to create something
which is,in itself, a living thing.

User ImageUser Image

Tanna had spent the better part of her first weeks at the castle clearing out both of her classrooms. The original Art room still had dry paint, broken easels, and cracked pottery strewn around the room along with boarded windows and a desk she was quite afraid to sit behind. Sure it had been hard and she had felt a bit guilty using the help of a House Elf because she was sure there was loads of other things he might've had to do but she had to admit, it had gotten the job done quicker and probably more efficient. So now she was standing in the middle of a bright room with sunlight streaming from the large bay windows with smatterings of desks around in small order as well as small white oak desk she positively adored. On the walls were some paintings she had collected over the years as well as some of hers as well. She wanted to share as much of her own knowledge with her students as possible. Suddenly Tanna turned towards the door hearing students talking and walking towards the door and took a deep breath before giving a small but welcoming smile. "Hello and welcome to Art I, my name is Professor Ellis and I will be instructing you this year. To start the class I'd like you to introduce yourself, which House you're in, and why you chose Art. I'll get things started off! My name is Naitanna Ellis, I didn't attend Hogwarts but I was told I would have made a great Ravenclaw, and I'm in Art because I love the multiple ways I can express myself. Now one of you."

[Wearing: First Day] [With: No one] [Where: My Classroom] [Feeling: Hopeful/Nervous] [Thinking: Please don't screw up, please don't screw up]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 pm
Today I feel surrounded
Today I am connected
Today I am a part of something more
As if every cell were singing
Still, I can't embrace it
Every silver lining has a cloud
But not so far
I keep waiting for the shoe to drop

Today I feel like dancing: Happy
I never feel like dancing: I'm so glad to be in art...
It's like even the weather suits my mood: Third Years
My entire soul is ringing: Art

N E W L Y N | T A R A | V A S S

H U F F L E P U F F | B L O O D T R A I T O R | T H I R D Y E A RUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Newlyn was delighted to be taking art classes this year. Her father didn't know, and she had no plans to tell him. She could just hearing him going on about how her art was never going to amount to much. Not that it was any of his business. She was surprised by how young the teacher was. The dark haired girl was the first to speak. "I'm Newlyn Vass. I'm in Hufflepuff and I chose Art because drawing is one of my favorite things to do." Her voice was quiet, but she managed to make herself heard.

From C A R I N G comes C O U R A G E

Waiting for the axe to fall
And it will happen
This I know
Just not so far
Still, I can't accept it
I keep looking for the thing to bring me down
Though I can't explain my reasons to you
I think we are the same

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 pm
User Image
Sun ☼ Henrick

Gryffindor || Third Year
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Sun's electives were probably the only classes he would ever excel in. So he sat in a seat and while the students went around to introduce themselves, Sun kept quiet until it was his turn to speak. "I'm Sun Henrick. Gryffindor. I'm taking art because... I don't have a reason." It was more of a split second decision to take art. There were really nothing behind it... At least, he believed so.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I changed. Now I don't know who I am anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:51 pm
User Image
Adalaide Blythe
Daughter & Sister // Fourth Year Hufflepuff // Wearing in the Art classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Nellspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Weirdspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'These kids will all be third years... I don't think I know any third years.' spacespac

'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs...'

═════════════════════════════════

Adalaide joined the third year students for her Art 1 lesson, feeling no less weird about being here than she had the day before, when she'd showed up to Art 2 without having even a single Art 1 lesson. She took a seat, not too far from but certainly not with the other students, feeling odd because they were all a year younger than her, and she didn't think she knew any of them. When the professor posed the same question to this class as she had the second level students, Ada sighed. How wonderful, everyone here would know she wasn't a third year, that she was from a higher year and taking a third year class. That wasn't awkward at all. She blushed almost crimson when her turn came. "Erm, I'm Adalaide Blythe, a Hufflepuff, and I'm here because... I wanted to improve my drawing skills." Ada sincerely hoped no one asked why she was in this lesson and not the one for her year. Not that it was overly embarrassing, really, but she would hate to have to explain it to them all... she felt so out of place. Like she didn't belong. She hadn't felt like that in ages, since her first year.

═════════════════════════════════
                                  'As they tried to teach me how to dance.'

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Monday: Potions Tuesday: Transfiguration, Alchemy Wednesday: Art, Charms, Divination, Mythology Thursday: Care of Magical Creatures, Ghoul and Ghost Studies, Herbology, Astronomy Friday: Defense Against the Dark Arts

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:56 pm
User Image
User Image
You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
Yeah, you fight dirty, like a b*tch
I would know
~*~
And you always think
Always speak cryptically
I should know
That you're no good for me

Third YearGryffindorThirteenPureblood

'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up and you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white

↰⇞⇘↶↾↜↲↫↪↺↭↻↩↬↳↝↿↷⇙⇟↱
Romy hurried into class, not wanting to be late.He sat down beside Sun, then flashed the boy a smile. He looked up at the teacher, blue eyes sparkling with excitement. He had been looking forward to this class! "My name is Romulus Bleiddiaid, but I prefer Romy. I am a Gryffindor, and I chose art because I love to draw, and... art seemed logical, no?" He scratched at his neck, then turned to look back at Sun. He pushed his glasses up and grinned, making his eyes sparkle.
↰⇞⇘↶↾↜↲↫↪↺↭↻↩↬↳↝↿↷⇙⇟↱
We used to be just like twins, so in sync
The same energy now's a dead battery
Used to laugh 'bout nothing
Now you're plain boring
I should know
That you're not gonna change
~*~
Someone call the doctor
Got a case of a sweet bipolar
Stuck on a rollercoaster
Can't get off this ride

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:22 pm
User ImageUser Image 
I'm always ṡ¢яεαмιиģ my lungs out 'til my head starts รקเภภเภﻮ☩ 
Won't keep my νøι¢ε down☩ 
Know the words I รקєคк are the τнøυģнτṡ I think out ใ๏ย๔☩ 

×××××Jaslyn walked into her art class quietly. She glanced around the room, finding it odd to not have a class with Chance. She shrugged away the sadness over that though, and moved to take a seat by herself. She wasn't the best at making friends, and ever since first year her only friends had been Virgil and Chance. As soon as she was sitting she realized she should probably stand to introduce herself. "Er... I'm Jaslyn Ross. I'm a Slytherin... and Um I guess I took this class because my best friend noticed me drawing and said I was really good, and like to draw so I figured I'd pursue it and see what happens." She shrugged slightly, and dropped back into her seat, watching everyone else quietly, and feeling quite alone.

OOC...

Let's leave no words ยภรק๏кєภ, and save яεģяετṡ for the вяøќεи.☩ 
Will you even look ๒คςк when you think of мε?☩ 
I know to keep my hopes up ђเﻮђ, and my head down ℓøω.

Devlyn Maycry

Obsessive Sex Symbol

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:12 pm

User ImageUser Image

Tanna was over the moon at how many students were in her introductory Art class. She made sure to smile at each person as they introduced themselves or walked in a bit late. "Nice to meet you Miss. Vass and I'm glad that your going further with your passion. Mr. Henrick I still think you'll have fun with or without reason." The caramel skinned women gave an encouraging grin over to a very familiar older student as she introduced herself for the second time. "Nice to see you again Miss. Blythe and eager to learn." She looked up to see a blonde haired boy rush in and sit next to her only boy (well, now there were two!) and gave a light chuckle at his explanation of taking art. "That seems very logical Mr. Bleiddiaid so welcome. Miss Ross I'm glad your friend encouraged you to pursue art. Even if you don't continue with it it's still marvelous to have you in class." Now that she had heard everyone Tanna realized she had students from every house except from Ravenclaw, weird.
"Now that we're all settled and introduced I say we begin with the lesson!" The young teacher walked over to the chalk board and began writing in her curly script: Lighting and Frame in your artwork "There are a number of ways that light affects or interacts with artwork, from how a piece is lit, to deliberately incorporating the interaction of light within the work. Lighting of artwork is crucial to supporting the meaning of the artwork. Strong lighting creates strong highlights and shadows, which enhances the physical form of the object. Strong lighting is often used with classical Greek and Roman sculptures of the human body. The lighting reveals the contours of the figure and emphasizes its physicality. Diffuse lighting, which means the light on the object is more spread out, minimizing shadows and contrasts and making the object appear flatter, minimizes the physicality and contours of the body, and accents its stiff pose. Light in other works of art could be for dramatic contrast, to enhance the beauty of what or whom ever you draw or paint, or to create a two dimensional look to your artwork.
Now, that's just the lighting you create, natural light such as from candles, light bulbs or sunlight can also enhance the beauty of your art. Reflections are like magic in some ways. They transform a space in dramatic ways and make it appear infinitely larger, depending on the placement of reflective surfaces such as mirrors. Water can also be used to make reflections to create a sense of peace, calm, and serentity. Water has a naturally soothing effect on people, and the depth of a reflection within a pool creates an opportunity for contemplation.
Framing for all intent and purposes is not just the frame holding in the picture, it is also the main focal point of your art. Without a frame your art could seem endless with one no mater how big or small it is constrained but in a way that you created.
For the remainder of the class I would like you to draw whatever comes to mind and then attempt to add light and or frame to this sketch. For your homework I'd like you to go into a bathroom that has a mirror and take a candle with you. Light the candle and examine your face from different angles to see the different contrast and shadows the light offers and if you can draw your favorite angle. Another exercise I'd like for you is to go take a walk at different times of the day, if your schedule allows you, and notice the light the sun makes upon the area around you. Mark the shadows and note where they are and if they moved. This isn't graded it's merely a guide to enhance your knowledge and understanding of lighting. If you hit a problem please don't hesitate to raise a hand and when you're finished you may leave."

****Next Class*****

Tanna walked excitedly back into her classroom as she awaited her youngest students. When they finally all arrived she offered her same shy but happy smile. "Welcome back for another Art lesson! I hope you had fun with your homework last week and I also hope your excited for this weeks lesson." Just as she had last week she walked over to the chalkboard and began to write in her curly script: Proportions
"Proportion refers to the relative size of parts of a whole (elements within an object). We often think of proportions in terms of size relationships within the human body.Michelangelo's sculpture David represents the Renaissance emphasis on the ideal, based on the ancient Greek model of the ideal: rationality reflected in the portrayal of perfection in the human body."[ Here Tanna gestured to her own smaller David on the side of the classroom. "This sculpture is an excellent illustration of both scale and proportion in art. Proportion doesn't just stop at the human body, it could be used for landscapes, portraits, interior design. floral arrangements even! And, it can also be used to make dramatic and even controversial images of what you want to convey. The art of photomontage is a method where you piece together elements from different sources and alter the scale of objects in the composition as well as proportions within the human body. Think of it as almost making a cartoon but using real images of that person.
For the remainder of the class I'd like for you to attempt to draw your head, not just your face your actual head, using the mirrors provided upon my desk. If you have any questions or issues please don't hesitate to ask me."

[Wearing: First Day] [With: No one] [Where: My Classroom] [Feeling: Excited/Happy] [Thinking: This is awesome!!]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:45 pm
User Image

After all this has ραṡṡε∂, I still will гє๓คเภ 
After I've cried my ℓαṡτ, there'll be ๒єคยҭұ from pain 
And though I can't
υи∂εяṡταи∂ why this ђคקקєภє๔ 
I ќиøω that I will when I look back ร๏๓є๔คұ

Ver walked into class quietly. She had missed the first lesson and felt bad about it. She wasn't even really sure why she had taken this class though. She wasn't an artist, at least not in this way. She could play any instrument she set her mind too, and she was a good signer, but drawing and painting and such not so much. She smiled slightly at the professor before taking a seat near the back of the classroom. Last lesson she had been on her way to it when she'd just started crying. Everything she had lost had just decided to suddenly resurface, and she couldn't force herself to class while sobbing like that. With a small sniffle at the thought, she began to quickly take notes on the lesson of that day. If she knew someone else in the lesson she might beg them for notes on the last lesson.

OOC: …

Here I am at the єภ๔ of me. Tryin' to hold to what I can't ṡεε  
I forgot how to ђ๏קє. This night's been so ℓøиģ 
I cling to Your קг๏๓เรє. There will be a ∂αωи 
Though it won't be ҭ๏ค๔ұ, someday I'll нøρε again

Devlyn Maycry

Obsessive Sex Symbol

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:59 pm
User Image
Sun ☼ Henrick

Gryffindor || Third Year
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

For a class that was about drawing, it was most heavily detailed. Although Sun knew about the concept of lighting, it had never occurred to him that such a simple thing could reflect the difference between a poor and a good piece. At night before curfew, he took a candle into the bathroom and observed his surroundings. He didn't want to draw his face, mostly because it would come out crooked or something. Always a tiny error that would destroy his entire piece. So, instead he drew flowers along with its vase, using as little shading as possible. The finished product made the plants look as if it were inundated with light, happy and bright. A certain contrast with what really went on in his mind.

Homework or classwork, it seemed to always have something to do with faces, heads, or the body. Sun didn't want to draw his head. He frowned with just a glance at his reflection. He grabbed the mirror and set it face-down, refusing to look at himself any further. In his sketchbook, instead of following directions, he drew a body, a faceless male body, to proportion. It was chubby-looking and stiff, but it reflected accurate proportion.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm
Today I feel surrounded
Today I am connected
But not so far

H U F F L E P U F F | B L O O D T R A I T O R | T H I R D Y E A RUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Newlyn was a bit shocked at the detail the professor went into. Even her core class lectures weren't this information packed. It was almost overwhelming, and she struggled to keep up. Her hand was aching by the time she was done taking notes. She drew a picture of a bird perched among the branches of a tree, and attempted to give the drawing light and shadows. It came out alright, if a little muddled.

She was more prepared to pay attention and take notes during the next class. The Hufflepuff began to try to draw her own head as instructed, looking in the mirrors. It wasn't necessarily easy, but her head began to take form on the paper.

And it will happen
This I know
Just not so far
Still, I can't accept it
I think we are the same

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 pm

User ImageUser Image

Tanna walked back into her classroom with a smile on her face as well as a determined expression. She had realized after all her students left how....preach-y her last lesson had been and vowed to not do that again this week. That thought in mind she went over to her chalkboard and wrote out Perspective before turning with a smile. "Welcome back for another week of Art, I was so happy with last week's artwork, everyone showed a lot of promise. This week we'll be going over perspective. In art it involves creating an appearance of depth. This emphasis on distance stems from it being a difficult and impressive effect to achieve, especially upon paper that is completely flat.
First understand that our viewpoint is simply that position we see things from. Perspective is about establishing "an eye" in your art through which your audience sees. So although perspective has been considered the most difficult subject in all of art, its concept is really quite simple. Art is more effective when an audience feels like participants in it, rather than just spectators of it. Perspective simply invites the participation of your audience by establishing their viewpoint within your art. Otherwise, the effect is to detach your audience on some level.
For your lesson today I'd like you to draw a bridge, what's special about this is that I want you to draw it as if you were crossing the bridge. Draw the supports from your angle, the bottom of the bridge, the sides, if you can see the ceiling from your angle draw that as well. Make this picture seem as if you or your audience is actually walking it. When you feel you have successfully drawn your bridge you may leave."

[Wearing: First Day] [With: No one] [Where: My Classroom] [Feeling: Excited/Happy] [Thinking: This is awesome!!]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 pm
Today I feel surrounded
Today I am connected
But not so far

Newlyn began to draw the bridge as instructed. It was challenging. She closed her eyes for a moment, trying to imagine she was actually on a bridge. She took her time drawing the picture.

And it will happen
This I know
Just not so far
Still, I can't accept it
I think we are the same

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 am
User Image
Sun ☼ Henrick

Gryffindor || Third Year
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

To Sun, this was just practicing angles and how well his imagination could take him. He chose to draw the bridge as if he was right in front of it, as if he were laying in the grass looking upward. He selected a point on his paper to be the reference point, and drew an array of straight lines that covered the entire paper. Following these lines, he added shapes of all types, and watched as amorphous scribbles became a very enticing Japanese-styled wooden bridge. The lines he drew allowed him to keep everything in shape and correct from his angle. That was a trick he had learned reading through a particular book on sketching.

Sun carefully erased these "perspective lines", then placed an ink bottle right above the bridge he was drawing. That would be the sun, of which he would keep in mind when he shaded in the rest of the bridge. It was magnificent.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff