Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Art III~ Open- First Lesson Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:22 pm
A sincere artist is not one who makes a
faithful attempt to put on to canvas
what is in front of him, but one who tries to create something
which is,in itself, a living thing.

User Image
User Image

¤ Artist ¤ Married ¤ Mother of Two

Class List:
Violante Lillantine
Selina Grey
Layton Bannister

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Fifth Years. She had been thoroughly impressed by how well each year was progressing and was eagerly awaiting this year. This was also they're OWL year, so she was a bit nervous but had faith they would do fine. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art III. To start the class I'd like to start the year off a bit tame, we'll be learning about the color wheel today." She walked over to her chalkboard where a perfectly drawn circle with various colors were drawn onto it. "A Color Wheel or color circle is an abstract illustrative organization of color hues around a circle that shows relationships between primary colors, secondary colors, complementary colors,etc. In a paint or subtractive color wheel, the "center of gravity" is usually (but not always) black, representing all colors of light being absorbed; in a color circle, on the other hand, the center is white or gray, indicating a mixture of different wavelengths of light (all wavelengths, or two complementary colors, for example).
The arrangement of colors around the color circle is often considered to be in correspondence with the wavelengths of light, as opposed to hues, in accord with the original color circle of Isaac Newton. Modern color circles include the purples, however, between red and violet. The typical artists' paint or pigment color wheel includes the blue, red, and yellow primary colors. The corresponding secondary colors are green, orange, and violet or purple. The tertiary colors are red–orange, red–violet, yellow–orange, yellow–green, blue–violet and blue–green.
There is no straight-line relationship between colors mixed in pigment, which vary from medium to medium. As such, a painter's color wheel is indicative rather than predictive, being used to compare existing colors rather than calculate exact colors of mixtures. Because of differences relating to the medium, different color wheels can be created according to the type of paint or other medium used, and many artists make their own individual color wheels. These often contain only blocks of color rather than the gradation between tones that is characteristic of the color circle.
For today I'd like you to create a personal color wheel using the primary colors of Blue, Red, Yellow, and White. Create the color combinations to reflect you and what you like to reflect in your art."
Tanna grinned out over the class. She hoped she hadn't scared them.

Deviled Dregs

The Forgotten Weasley

Graydon Ironshield

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Starting fresh!] [OOC:]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:12 pm
I don’t know what I ever wanted...
You got a front, well, you better flaunt it.
Ate a piece of the devil’s body-
The face of the devil follows me.
Every day it feels like I’m running;
And I’m headed straight for the blaze!
And I can breathe when I’m underwater!
And I’m ready with a finger on the trigger!

User Image
V I O L A N T E
F A Y E
L I L L A N T I N E

SlytherinFifth YearPurebloodAdoptedPrefect

Vio took notes, but not obsessively, seeing as while she liked Art, it wasn't as if she planned on becoming a proper artist anytime soon. She had three more classes to go today, and she was already somewhat dreading it. At least making a color wheel wasn't mind-numbingly dull.

OOC:
Username

Who’s that girl, who’s that girl?
She’s only special in secret...
And she’s got her own familiar spirits.
Something inside of her rises and she knows;
Destruction makes the world burn brighter.
When the wind takes 'em all, away from here-
When the sorrow is all gone, buried in the snow-
When the wolves howl their song, and the whole earth is done.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:07 pm
User Image
                                            And you don't seem the lying kind
                                            A shame you seemed an honest man
                                            And all the fears you hold so dear

User Image

════════════════════════

Fifth Yᴇᴀʀ |Ⅴ Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Prefect |Ⅴ| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

Selina made sure she arrived for Art class early enough to be comfortable when she got to work. She would rather have ended her day with this class, not starting her day with it, as she found it a nice way to unwind after a bunch of classes which required her to really work. After taking careful notes, she started in on making her own personal colour wheel, which was an intriguing project.

════════════════════════
                                            OOC: Taken by Layton Bannister
                                            User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Will turn to whisper in your ear
                                            and you know I don't mean to hurt you
                                            But you know that it means so much
                                            And you don't even feel a thing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:13 pm
A sincere artist is not one who makes a
faithful attempt to put on to canvas
what is in front of him, but one who tries to create something
which is,in itself, a living thing.

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Violante Lillantine
Selina Grey
Layton Bannister

Tanna walked excitedly back into her classroom and waited on the edge of her desk for her students to file in before beginning. "Great jobs on your color wheels, very expressive and very insightful. This week we'll be learning proper painting techniques which is sort of difficult to go over. There are just so many types of paint and supplies that some techniques don't work well with certain types like it does with others. The painting mediums are oil, pastel, watercolor, acrylic, ink, hot wax, fresco, gouache, enamel, spray paint, tempera, and water miscible oil paint! So much fun and so little time..." she pouted a bit but put her smile right back on her face. "Oh well, we'll just have to make do. If you've noticed it or not I've placed the different mediums in different stations all around the room so you may try for yourself which ones you like but before that I do have a few techniques that seem to work well with either all or the majority.
Be precise but not picky. Some paints like watercolor are difficult because if you make a mistake you can't chip it off like you can for oil. However, you can repaint or blot over the area or just incorporate the mistake into your final presentation no one will notice! Painting is an expression not a doctrine.
Sketch it first. This may not always work, especially with spray paints and some water based paints but lightly sketching your desired product may help with either keeping that in mind or show you how to enhance it.
Finally, Take it easy take it slow. Painting is not a game of Quidditch, though the rewards can be just as great. Just like with sketching take your time, it will still be there if you decide to leave it for a while. Trust me."
she chuckled thinking of all her unfinished paintings in the back. Suddenly Tanna clapped and made shooing gestures towards the stations. "Go on go on! Take a look give it a shot."

Deviled Dregs

The Forgotten Weasley

Graydon Ironshield

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Starting fresh!] [OOC:]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 pm
User Image
                                            And you don't seem the lying kind
                                            A shame you seemed an honest man
                                            And all the fears you hold so dear

User Image

════════════════════════

Fifth Yᴇᴀʀ |Ⅴ Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Prefect |Ⅴ| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

Having had the chance to get into the flow of her classes, Selina found she really didn't mind having Art so early now, as it allowed her to ease into the flow of her classes, rather jumping right into her hardcore academic classes and chewing through them at the start of the day.

She started sketching a head and shoulders portrait of one of the Hippogryffs she'd met in her Care of Magical Creatures class, and thought he'd make a fine subject for her work. Selina started as Professor Hawthorne suggested, doing a sketch to begin with, before going back and defining the image with inks, and ultimately colouring her subject using a combination of inks and watercolours. What was hardest was attempting to capture the sense of majesty in the Hippogryff's gaze, and the expression in his face, and she needed to resketch the face several times before she was happy with the results. It would take her a while, but Selina didn't care; she wasn't in a hurry, and she wanted to do a good job.

════════════════════════
                                            OOC: Taken by Layton Bannister

Will turn to whisper in your ear
                                            and you know I don't mean to hurt you
                                            But you know that it means so much
                                            And you don't even feel a thing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:37 pm
I don’t know what I ever wanted...
You got a front, well, you better flaunt it.
Ate a piece of the devil’s body-
The face of the devil follows me.
Every day it feels like I’m running;
And I’m headed straight for the blaze!
And I can breathe when I’m underwater!
And I’m ready with a finger on the trigger!

User Image
V I O L A N T E
F A Y E
L I L L A N T I N E

SlytherinFifth YearPurebloodAdoptedPrefect

Vio wished there were more people in this class. She was stuck with two lovebirds and no other sources of entertainment. Thank god it was a more hands on class, and not just lectures, or she'd be ready to jump. She decided to do a watercolor, and thought for a few moments, before deciding to paint one if the rosebushes she had a vivid memory of in the garden at home. One time Thea had tried to hide in it, and come out covered in scratches. Only five or six at the time, Vio had started crying just at the sight of her, but Thea had laughed and laughed, and proudly displayed her array of band aids that night at the dinner table.

OOC:
Username

Who’s that girl, who’s that girl?
She’s only special in secret...
And she’s got her own familiar spirits.
Something inside of her rises and she knows;
Destruction makes the world burn brighter.
When the wind takes 'em all, away from here-
When the sorrow is all gone, buried in the snow-
When the wolves howl their song, and the whole earth is done.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:05 am
Three little birds sat on my window.
And they told me I don't need to worry.
Summer came like cinnamon
So sweet,
Little girls double-dutch on the concrete.

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Cordelia Quimby-Winthrop
Avian Lovette
Sybil Vance
Alice Beckstead
Pamela Gautreaux
Lionel Lira

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Fifth Years. She had been thoroughly impressed by how well each year was progressing and was eagerly awaiting this year. This was also they're OWL year, so she was a bit nervous but had faith they would do fine. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art III. To start the class I'd like to start the year off a bit tame, we'll be learning about the color wheel today." She walked over to her chalkboard where a perfectly drawn circle with various colors were drawn onto it. "A Color Wheel or color circle is an abstract illustrative organization of color hues around a circle that shows relationships between primary colors, secondary colors, complementary colors,etc. In a paint or subtractive color wheel, the "center of gravity" is usually (but not always) black, representing all colors of light being absorbed; in a color circle, on the other hand, the center is white or gray, indicating a mixture of different wavelengths of light (all wavelengths, or two complementary colors, for example).
The arrangement of colors around the color circle is often considered to be in correspondence with the wavelengths of light, as opposed to hues, in accord with the original color circle of Isaac Newton. Modern color circles include the purples, however, between red and violet. The typical artists' paint or pigment color wheel includes the blue, red, and yellow primary colors. The corresponding secondary colors are green, orange, and violet or purple. The tertiary colors are red–orange, red–violet, yellow–orange, yellow–green, blue–violet and blue–green.
There is no straight-line relationship between colors mixed in pigment, which vary from medium to medium. As such, a painter's color wheel is indicative rather than predictive, being used to compare existing colors rather than calculate exact colors of mixtures. Because of differences relating to the medium, different color wheels can be created according to the type of paint or other medium used, and many artists make their own individual color wheels. These often contain only blocks of color rather than the gradation between tones that is characteristic of the color circle.
For today I'd like you to create a personal color wheel using the primary colors of Blue, Red, Yellow, and White. Create the color combinations to reflect you and what you like to reflect in your art."

Girl, put your records on, tell me your favourite song
You go ahead, let your hair down
Sapphire and faded jeans, I hope you get your dreams,
Just go ahead, let your hair down.

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: First day!] [OOC:]

kiska166

Jade Galaksylph

stitchkin babe

mc2

Cara MiaKitty

RedEagleEye007

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:17 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Cordelia Quimby-Winthrop
Avian Lovette
Sybil Vance
Alice Beckstead
Pamela Gautreaux
Lionel Lira

Tanna walked excitedly back into her classroom and waited on the edge of her desk for her students to file in before beginning. "Great jobs on your color wheels, very expressive and very insightful. This week we'll be learning proper painting techniques which is sort of difficult to go over. There are just so many types of paint and supplies that some techniques don't work well with certain types like it does with others. The painting mediums are oil, pastel, watercolor, acrylic, ink, hot wax, fresco, gouache, enamel, spray paint, tempera, and water miscible oil paint! So much fun and so little time..." she pouted a bit but put her smile right back on her face. "Oh well, we'll just have to make do. If you've noticed it or not I've placed the different mediums in different stations all around the room so you may try for yourself which ones you like but before that I do have a few techniques that seem to work well with either all or the majority.
Be precise but not picky. Some paints like watercolor are difficult because if you make a mistake you can't chip it off like you can for oil. However, you can repaint or blot over the area or just incorporate the mistake into your final presentation no one will notice! Painting is an expression not a doctrine.
Sketch it first. This may not always work, especially with spray paints and some water based paints but lightly sketching your desired product may help with either keeping that in mind or show you how to enhance it.
Finally, Take it easy take it slow. Painting is not a game of Quidditch, though the rewards can be just as great. Just like with sketching take your time, it will still be there if you decide to leave it for a while. Trust me." she chuckled thinking of all her unfinished paintings in the back."
Suddenly Tanna clapped and made shooing gestures towards the stations. "Go on go on! Take a look give it a shot."

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: First day!] [OOC:]

kiska166

Jade Galaksylph

stitchkin babe

mc2

Cara MiaKitty

RedEagleEye007

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:23 am
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

¤ Artist ¤ Married ¤ Mother of Three

[Class List]
Rhys Hamilton-Blake
Cyrus Lillantine
Emma Bailey
Siobhan 'Hannah' Grey

The room had imitations of famous artworks on the walls as well as their artists and their time periods while windows had their curtains pulled back to let in the natural light. And now the day was here as Tanna sat behind her simple brown desk reading her dragon book and taking light notes when she heard the tell-tale signs of students approaching and stood with a welcoming smile. "Hello and welcome to Art III. To start this new term off I'd like to briefly go over Romanticism before going on to today's lesson.

Romanticism, also the Romantic era or the Romantic period, was an artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that originated in Europe toward the end of the 18th century and in most areas was at its peak in the approximate period from 1800 to 1850. It was also a revolt against aristocratic social and political norms of the Age of Enlightenment and a reaction against the scientific rationalization of nature. It was embodied most strongly in the visual arts, music, and literature, but had a major impact on historiography, education and the natural sciences. Its effect on politics was considerable and complex; while for much of the peak Romantic period it was associated with liberalism and radicalism, in the long term its effect on the growth of nationalism was probably more significant. Romanticism first showed itself in landscape painting, where from as early as the 1760s British artists began to turn to wilder landscapes and storms, and Gothic architecture, even if they had to make do with Wales as a setting. The arrival of Romanticism in French art was delayed by the strong hold of Neoclassicism on the academies, but from the Napoleonic period it became increasingly popular, initially in the form of history paintings propagandising for the new regime. Sculpture remained largely impervious to Romanticism, probably partly for technical reasons, as the most prestigious material of the day, marble, does not lend itself to expansive gestures. As usual I have copies and reproductions of various Romantic artworks around the classroom that you may look upon at your leisure after the lesson."

Tanna walked over to her chalkboard where a perfectly drawn circle with various colors were drawn onto it. "A Color Wheel or color circle is an abstract illustrative organization of color hues around a circle that shows relationships between primary colors, secondary colors, complementary colors,etc. In a paint or subtractive color wheel, the "center of gravity" is usually (but not always) black, representing all colors of light being absorbed; in a color circle, on the other hand, the center is white or gray, indicating a mixture of different wavelengths of light (all wavelengths, or two complementary colors, for example).

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited/Happy] [Thinking: New year!] [OOC:]

Diamond Wales

The Forgotten Weasley

murruelecreuset

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:03 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image
                                                  Location : Art - Friday @ 8:00am

This was exactly what Emma was afraid of… art and the history of art coming together in one class. She sucked at muggle art, so when it was dropped from the school she was slightly happy but then not. Though art had been something she was strong at. Sadly now she’d have to balance that out with something she sucked at. Sighing Emma took a seat and waited for the horribleness that was history to end. She was too tired to care at eight in the morning.

After taking notes and trying to keep herself upright, Emma was just grateful that they were moving on to something more interesting. Color wheels while not that exciting were at least something that had nothing to do with history. As such Emma continued to take notes on how they worked before getting to work on her own color wheel.

Status: Dreading History... Tired but Happy...
                                                  With: Classmates... Professor Hawthorne

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

Somewhere you'll fit in huh?
                                                  A loyal friend like you?
                                                  I think you'll have no trouble fitting in here!
                                                  Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:09 pm
User Image
Siobhan'Hannah'Grey
Hufflepuff PrefectFifth YearFifteen Years OldSingle

Hannah was happy to arrive for her Art class, as she really liked the chance to express her creativity, and she liked her teacher, Professor Hawthorne. In fact, she was one of her favourites. "Hi, Professor Hawthorne," she said sunnily, when she came into the classroom. "How was your summer?" Like last year, she presented her teacher with a basket filled with jars of her grandmother's homemade strawberry and blackberry preserves, as well homemade cookies and oat cakes. After presenting her gift, Hannah sat down next to Emma.

When they got into the class itself, Hannah was pleased to know her Art History had been folded into the Art class itself, so it wasn't like the class was gone. After listening to the lecture on the Romantic period, she was intrigued with the idea of creating her own colour wheel. Once they were set loose, she started trying to come up with her own interpretation of the colour wheel.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:16 pm
And if the karma patrol take control-
I'm gonna be in trouble.
And if the moral police ask for receipt-
I am gonna burst their bubble.
Richen, smidgen, muddy, smutty...
Who’s your god; I'm not the type to pray-
Except when I fall; I'm only human, after all.

User Image
ᶜ ʸ ᴿ ᵁ ˁ
ᴱ ᶻ ᴱ ᴷ ᴵ ᴱ ᴸ
ᴸ ᴵ ᴸ ᴸ ᴬ ᴺ ᵀ ᴵ ᴺ ᴱ

ˁᴸʸᵀᴴᴱᴿᴵᴺᶠᴵᶠᵀᴴ ʸᴱᴬᴿᴾᵁᴿᴱᴮᴸᴼᴼᴰᵀᴴᴵᴿᴰ ᴮᴼᴿᴺ

There was a reason Cy hadn't taken Muggle Art, and now that it had been combined with regular Art, he was strongly debating dropping the class entirely after this year. At least the professor talked quickly, and was reasonably nice to look at. Now, as for his color wheel... If he'd ever had a favorite color, Cy couldn't really be bothered to remember it. Preferences like that had always seemed so shallow, as if they mattered at all. Then again, wasn't that the whole point of art? It was all a matter of personal preference, no matter how much people tried to classify it.

OOC:
Username

I played the devil's advocate-
I played into his hands!
I played the fool; I played the victim...
And if you bump into the devil;
Tell him I understand.
Rather the devil you know.
Than the devil you don't.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:26 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

[Class List]
Rhys Hamilton-Blake
Cyrus Lillantine
Emma Bailey
Siobhan 'Hannah' Grey

Tanna waited on her desk for her small amount of students to arrive before she went over to the board and wrote Waterhouse before turning with a smile to face them.
"John William Waterhouse (April 1849-10 February 1917) was an English painter known for working in the Pre-Raphaelite style. He worked several decades after the breakup of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, which had seen its heyday in the mid-nineteenth century, leading him to have gained the moniker of "the modern Pre-Raphaelite". Borrowing stylistic influences not only from the earlier Pre-Raphaelites but also from his contemporaries, the Impressionists, his artworks were known for their depictions of women from both ancient Greek mythology and Arthurian legend.

Waterhouse's early works were not Pre-Raphaelite in nature, but were of classical themes in the spirit of Alma-Tadema and Frederic Leighton. These early works were exhibited at the Dudley Gallery, and the Society of British Artists, and in 1874 his painting Sleep and his Half-brother Death was exhibited at the Royal Academy summer exhibition. The painting was a success and Waterhouse would exhibit at the annual exhibition every year until 1916, with the exception of 1890 and 1915. He then went from strength to strength in the London art scene, with his 1876 piece After the Dance being given the prime position in that year's summer exhibition. Perhaps due to his success, his paintings typically became larger and larger in size.

One of Waterhouse's most famous paintings is The Lady of Shalott, a study of Elaine of Astolat, who dies of grief when Lancelot will not love her. He actually painted three different versions of this character, in 1888, 1894, and 1916. Another of Waterhouse's favorite subjects was Ophelia; the most famous of his paintings of Ophelia depicts her just before her death, putting flowers in her hair as she sits on a tree branch leaning over a lake. As always, I have recreations of all his works on the walls for you to view after the lesson."
Tanna gestured lightly at the paintings lining the wall before turning back to her students.

"Great jobs on your color wheels by the way, very expressive and very insightful. Now that the lecture is out of the way, we'll be learning proper painting techniques which is sort of difficult to go over. There are just so many types of paint and supplies that some techniques don't work well with certain types like it does with others. The painting mediums are oil, pastel, watercolor, acrylic, ink, hot wax, fresco, gouache, enamel, spray paint, tempera, and water miscible oil paint! So much fun and so little time..." she pouted a bit but put her smile right back on her face. "Oh well, we'll just have to make do. If you've noticed it or not I've placed the different mediums in different stations all around the room so you may try for yourself which ones you like but before that I do have a few techniques that seem to work well with either all or the majority.
Finally, Take it easy take it slow. Painting is not a game of Quidditch, though the rewards can be just as great. Just like with sketching take your time, it will still be there if you decide to leave it for a while. Trust me." she chuckled thinking of all her unfinished paintings in the back."
Suddenly Tanna clapped and made shooing gestures towards the stations. "Go on go on! Take a look give it a shot." Tanna told them eagerly.

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited/Happy] [Thinking: Continuing on!] [OOC:]

Diamond Wales

The Forgotten Weasley

murruelecreuset

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:09 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

[Class List:]
Aimee McHalen
Diantha Warlow

The room had imitations of famous artworks on the walls as well as their artists and their time periods while windows had their curtains pulled back to let in the natural light. And now the day was here as Tanna sat behind her simple brown desk reading her dragon book and taking light notes when she heard the tell-tale signs of students approaching and stood with a welcoming smile. "Hello and welcome to Art III. To start this new term off I'd like to briefly go over Romanticism before going on to today's lesson.

Romanticism, also the Romantic era or the Romantic period, was an artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that originated in Europe toward the end of the 18th century and in most areas was at its peak in the approximate period from 1800 to 1850. It was also a revolt against aristocratic social and political norms of the Age of Enlightenment and a reaction against the scientific rationalization of nature. It was embodied most strongly in the visual arts, music, and literature, but had a major impact on historiography, education and the natural sciences. Its effect on politics was considerable and complex; while for much of the peak Romantic period it was associated with liberalism and radicalism, in the long term its effect on the growth of nationalism was probably more significant. Romanticism first showed itself in landscape painting, where from as early as the 1760s British artists began to turn to wilder landscapes and storms, and Gothic architecture, even if they had to make do with Wales as a setting. The arrival of Romanticism in French art was delayed by the strong hold of Neoclassicism on the academies, but from the Napoleonic period it became increasingly popular, initially in the form of history paintings propagandising for the new regime. Sculpture remained largely impervious to Romanticism, probably partly for technical reasons, as the most prestigious material of the day, marble, does not lend itself to expansive gestures. As usual I have copies and reproductions of various Romantic artworks around the classroom that you may look upon at your leisure after the lesson."

Tanna walked over to her chalkboard where a perfectly drawn circle with various colors were drawn onto it. "A Color Wheel or color circle is an abstract illustrative organization of color hues around a circle that shows relationships between primary colors, secondary colors, complementary colors,etc. In a paint or subtractive color wheel, the "center of gravity" is usually (but not always) black, representing all colors of light being absorbed; in a color circle, on the other hand, the center is white or gray, indicating a mixture of different wavelengths of light (all wavelengths, or two complementary colors, for example).

Devlyn Maycry

The Forgotten Weasley

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Class] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New year new students] [OOC:]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:53 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

[Class List:]
Aimee McHalen
Diantha Warlow

Tanna waited on her desk for her small amount of students to arrive before she went over to the board and wrote Waterhouse before turning with a smile to face them.
"John William Waterhouse (April 1849-10 February 1917) was an English painter known for working in the Pre-Raphaelite style. He worked several decades after the breakup of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, which had seen its heyday in the mid-nineteenth century, leading him to have gained the moniker of "the modern Pre-Raphaelite". Borrowing stylistic influences not only from the earlier Pre-Raphaelites but also from his contemporaries, the Impressionists, his artworks were known for their depictions of women from both ancient Greek mythology and Arthurian legend.

Waterhouse's early works were not Pre-Raphaelite in nature, but were of classical themes in the spirit of Alma-Tadema and Frederic Leighton. These early works were exhibited at the Dudley Gallery, and the Society of British Artists, and in 1874 his painting Sleep and his Half-brother Death was exhibited at the Royal Academy summer exhibition. The painting was a success and Waterhouse would exhibit at the annual exhibition every year until 1916, with the exception of 1890 and 1915. He then went from strength to strength in the London art scene, with his 1876 piece After the Dance being given the prime position in that year's summer exhibition. Perhaps due to his success, his paintings typically became larger and larger in size.

One of Waterhouse's most famous paintings is The Lady of Shalott, a study of Elaine of Astolat, who dies of grief when Lancelot will not love her. He actually painted three different versions of this character, in 1888, 1894, and 1916. Another of Waterhouse's favorite subjects was Ophelia; the most famous of his paintings of Ophelia depicts her just before her death, putting flowers in her hair as she sits on a tree branch leaning over a lake. As always, I have recreations of all his works on the walls for you to view after the lesson."
Tanna gestured lightly at the paintings lining the wall before turning back to her students.

"Great jobs on your color wheels by the way, very expressive and very insightful. Now that the lecture is out of the way, we'll be learning proper painting techniques which is sort of difficult to go over. There are just so many types of paint and supplies that some techniques don't work well with certain types like it does with others. The painting mediums are oil, pastel, watercolor, acrylic, ink, hot wax, fresco, gouache, enamel, spray paint, tempera, and water miscible oil paint! So much fun and so little time..." she pouted a bit but put her smile right back on her face. "Oh well, we'll just have to make do. If you've noticed it or not I've placed the different mediums in different stations all around the room so you may try for yourself which ones you like but before that I do have a few techniques that seem to work well with either all or the majority.
Finally, Take it easy take it slow. Painting is not a game of Quidditch, though the rewards can be just as great. Just like with sketching take your time, it will still be there if you decide to leave it for a while. Trust me."
she chuckled thinking of all her unfinished paintings in the back. Suddenly Tanna clapped and made shooing gestures towards the stations. "Go on go on! Take a look give it a shot." Tanna told them eagerly.

Devlyn Maycry

The Forgotten Weasley

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Class] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New year new students] [OOC:]

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff