Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Sixth Year Classes
Art IV~ Open- First Lesson Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm
Three little birds sat on my window.
And they told me I don't need to worry.
Summer came like cinnamon
So sweet,
Little girls double-dutch on the concrete.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

¤ Artist ¤ Married ¤ Mother of Three

[Class List:]
Ophelia Selwyn

Tanna had been putting the finishing touches to a medium station when she saw her students come pouring in and gave each of them a wave and smile on her wave as she sidled up to the front of her classroom to begin.

"Welcome to Art IV and congratulations on all your excellent OWL scores! This year we'll be taking a look into modern art and the different mediums of sculptures. To start that off we'll have a brief look into what that entails.

Modern art includes artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era. It begins with the heritage of painters like Vincent van Gogh, Paul Cézanne, Paul Gauguin, Georges Seurat and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec all of whom were essential for the development of modern art. At the beginning of the 20th century Henri Matisse and several other young artists including the pre-cubist Georges Braque, André Derain, Raoul Dufy and Maurice de Vlaminck revolutionized the Paris art world with "wild", multi-colored, expressive landscapes and figure paintings that the critics called Fauvism, one of four artistic movements which were named Cubism, Expressionism, and Futurism. Now as usual I have photos and painting reproductions along the walls and a few smaller sculptures towards the back but not as much as I would've liked due to how much space the sculpting mediums took up. Though, I can't exactly find myself to feel bad about that funnily enough."
                                            Tanna told them all with a conspirator grin and chuckle.

"Much like Modern Art, Sculpture is a wide branch of art encompassing many different kinds of three-dimensional work. They can be designed for outdoor usage in a garden or public display or exclusively for indoors. Artists can make sculptures from anything at hand, including sand, food and recyclables. However the main mediums are:
                                            Clay: a versatile medium in sculpting. It can be the medium to build a finished product, or to make molds for other media. Clay sculptures include small objects that need to be fired in a kiln.
                                            Steel: welded together can create large or small sculptures. Sculptors create public art form steel as well as artistic candle holders and table top displays.
                                            Stone: People have carved stone for centuries to create sculptures. Italian artist Michelangelo chiseled a piece of marble into the 17-foot statue of David.
                                            Wax: Wax museums feature realistic models of famous people created from wax. Beeswax can be carved with the same tools as clay or wood.
                                            Glass: Artists can blow heated glass to create sculptures. Broken shards of glass can also be fused to build sculptures, with or without the addition of other sculpture media.
                                            Ice: Ice carvings can be elaborate pieces of functional art as seen in the ice hotels of Sweden or Quebec. Smaller blocks of ice also become decorative centerpiece sculptures for weddings or other events.
                                            Wood: Artists carve wood into sculptures. Some artists carve exclusively with a chain saw to create elaborate wooden sculptures while others use more precise tools to carve and shape the wood. Wood also often serves as a base for other sculpted material.
                                            Recycled Material: Artists can create assemblage art from discarded materials. Artists have used automobile parts, broken clocks, household items and tools to build sculptures of all sizes.
                                            And finally, Food: Chocolate sculptures are temporary pieces of art that can serve as centerpieces for special events. Food sculptor Jim Victor has used butter, pepperoni, peanut brittle and cheese to create statues.
                                            Now for today I'd like you to take a look around at the different sculptures and mediums I have placed around the classroom and find the one you think you'd most be interested in working with. Also, by the by, I know how much chocolate I have stashed in case anyone decides to get any ideas."
                                            Tanna chuckled.

Girl, put your records on, tell me your favourite song
You go ahead, let your hair down
Sapphire and faded jeans, I hope you get your dreams,
Just go ahead, let your hair down.

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New year!] [OOC:]

Essy ze Ninja

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:46 am
So sweet,

Ophelia Selwyn

Tanna was already in front of the classroom as the students (student) filed in and once she was seated she immediately began write "Pablo Picasso" in her curly script.
                                            "Picasso is quite possibly one of my favorite modern artists as well as one of the most well known and loathe am I to do so, in the interest of time I've shortened the normal lecture down so that we have more time for your sculpting. However, there is the option of an extra credit essay on Pablo Picasso. Extra credit and possibly chocolate will be awarded to all those who turn in something at least two feet in length! Alright, on to the synopsis!

Pablo Ruiz y Picasso, also known as Pablo Picasso, was a Spanish painter, sculptor, printmaker, ceramicist, stage designer, poet and playwright who spent most of his adult life in France. As one of the greatest and most influential artists of the 20th century, he is known for co-founding the Cubist movement, the invention of constructed sculpture, the co-invention of collage, and for the wide variety of styles that he helped develop and explore. Among his most famous works are the proto-Cubist Les Demoiselles d'Avignon (1907), and Guernica (1937), a portrayal of the Bombing of Guernica by the German and Italian airforces at the behest of the Spanish nationalist government during the Spanish Civil War.

Picasso was one of 250 sculptors who exhibited in the 3rd Sculpture International held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in mid-1949. In the 1950s, Picasso's style changed once again, as he took to producing reinterpretations of the art of the great masters. He made a series of works based on Velázquez's painting of Las Meninas. He also based paintings on works by Goya, Poussin, Manet, Courbet and Delacroix. He was commissioned to make a maquette for a huge 50-foot (15 m)-high public sculpture to be built in Chicago, known usually as the Chicago Picasso. He approached the project with a great deal of enthusiasm, designing a sculpture which was ambiguous and somewhat controversial. What the figure represents is not known; it could be a bird, a horse, a woman or a totally abstract shape. The sculpture, one of the most recognisable landmarks in downtown Chicago, was unveiled in 1967. Picasso refused to be paid $100,000 for it, donating it to the people of the city."
                                            Tanna had to hold her tongue to stop herself from continuing on about the famous artist and swallowed down her remaining lecture while waiting for her students quills to stop wagging. Only once everyone had stopped did she continue one with the lesson.

" I hope everyone is happy with their chosen medium or mediums, now on to the basics! There are four basic techniques usable by all mediums:
                                            Carving: Carving involves cutting or chipping away a shape from a mass of stone, wood, or other hard material. Carving is a subtractive process whereby material is systematically eliminated from the outside in.
                                            Casting: Sculptures that are cast are made from a material that is melted down—usually a metal—that is then poured into a mold. The mold is allowed to cool, thereby hardening the metal, usually bronze. Casting is an additive process.
                                            Modeling: Modeled sculptures are created when a soft or malleable material (such as clay) is built up (sometimes over an armature) and shaped to create a form. Modeling is an additive process.
                                            Assembling: Sculptors gather and join different materials to create an assembled sculpture. Assembling is an additive process.
                                            Now just like last time there are different stations for the different mediums so start playing around with the items...err, the safer ones I mean. If you're not comfortable with fire or carving just yet I'd move on. Have fun and please don't hesitate to ask questions!

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Continuing on] [OOC:]

Essy ze Ninja

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:40 pm
So sweet,

Cian Quinlan

Tanna had been putting the finishing touches to a medium station when she saw her students come pouring in and gave each of them a wave and smile on her wave as she sidled up to the front of her classroom to begin.

"Welcome to Art IV and congratulations on all your excellent OWL scores! This year we'll be taking a look into modern art and the different mediums of sculptures. To start that off we'll have a brief look into what that entails.

Modern art includes artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era. It begins with the heritage of painters like Vincent van Gogh, Paul Cézanne, Paul Gauguin, Georges Seurat and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec all of whom were essential for the development of modern art. At the beginning of the 20th century Henri Matisse and several other young artists including the pre-cubist Georges Braque, André Derain, Raoul Dufy and Maurice de Vlaminck revolutionized the Paris art world with "wild", multi-colored, expressive landscapes and figure paintings that the critics called Fauvism, one of four artistic movements which were named Cubism, Expressionism, and Futurism. Now as usual I have photos and painting reproductions along the walls and a few smaller sculptures towards the back but not as much as I would've liked due to how much space the sculpting mediums took up. Though, I can't exactly find myself to feel bad about that funnily enough."

"Much like Modern Art, Sculpture is a wide branch of art encompassing many different kinds of three-dimensional work. They can be designed for outdoor usage in a garden or public display or exclusively for indoors. Artists can make sculptures from anything at hand, including sand, food and recyclables. However the main mediums are:
                                            Clay: a versatile medium in sculpting. It can be the medium to build a finished product, or to make molds for other media. Clay sculptures include small objects that need to be fired in a kiln.
                                            Steel: welded together can create large or small sculptures. Sculptors create public art form steel as well as artistic candle holders and table top displays.
                                            Stone: People have carved stone for centuries to create sculptures. Italian artist Michelangelo chiseled a piece of marble into the 17-foot statue of David.
                                            Wax: Wax museums feature realistic models of famous people created from wax. Beeswax can be carved with the same tools as clay or wood.
                                            Glass: Artists can blow heated glass to create sculptures. Broken shards of glass can also be fused to build sculptures, with or without the addition of other sculpture media.
                                            Ice: Ice carvings can be elaborate pieces of functional art as seen in the ice hotels of Sweden or Quebec. Smaller blocks of ice also become decorative centerpiece sculptures for weddings or other events.
                                            Wood: Artists carve wood into sculptures. Some artists carve exclusively with a chain saw to create elaborate wooden sculptures while others use more precise tools to carve and shape the wood. Wood also often serves as a base for other sculpted material.
                                            Recycled Material: Artists can create assemblage art from discarded materials. Artists have used automobile parts, broken clocks, household items and tools to build sculptures of all sizes.
                                            And finally, Food: Chocolate sculptures are temporary pieces of art that can serve as centerpieces for special events. Food sculptor Jim Victor has used butter, pepperoni, peanut brittle and cheese to create statues.
                                            Now for today I'd like you to take a look around at the different sculptures and mediums I have placed around the classroom and find the one you think you'd most be interested in working with. Also, by the by, I know how much chocolate I have stashed in case anyone decides to get any ideas."
                                            Tanna chuckled.

[Wearing: Wearing] [With: Students] [Where: Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New year!] [OOC:]

Kungfudemoness

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:43 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingle
Art Club Captain

It was no lie that Art was one of Katya's favourite classes, and the professor one of her favourite teachers. She loved the chance to be creative, and it was a nice way to ease into her week by having Art as her first class. In a way, it was kinda sad that the post-OWL class was so much smaller, as she liked having other students there to bounce ideas off of, like they did in Art Club.

She found the art lecture interesting, and Katya made sure to take thorough notes as the lecture went on. Sculpture was a subject she was intrigued with. As a child she used to make things out whatever various bits and bobs she could scrounge, and now she had the chance to experiment with all sorts of media. Like her sister, the thought of using food as a medium was appalling to the girl. As much as she enjoyed cooking, there was always a bit of her that recalled times when they didn't have much money and food was not something to be wasted. While she couldn't bring herself to sculpt chocolate, she would try sampling these other medium, and see what she liked.

OOC:
Username

Taken by Cian Quinlan

User Image
                  "Black clouds are behind me, I now can see ahead
                  Often I wonder why I try hoping for an end
                  Sorrow weighs my shoulders down
                  And trouble haunts my mind
                  But I know the present will not last
                  And tomorrow will be kinder

Tomorrow will be kinder
                  It's true, I've seen it before
                  A brighter day is coming my way"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:26 pm
So sweet,

Tanna chuckled.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

"Welcome to Art IV and congratulations on all your excellent OWL scores! This year we'll be taking a look into modern art and the different mediums of sculptures. To start that off we'll have a brief look into what that entails. "

"Modern art includes artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era. It begins with the heritage of painters like Vincent van Gogh, Paul Cézanne, Paul Gauguin, Georges Seurat and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec all of whom were essential for the development of modern art. At the beginning of the 20th century Henri Matisse and several other young artists including the pre-cubist Georges Braque, André Derain, Raoul Dufy and Maurice de Vlaminck revolutionized the Paris art world with "wild", multi-colored, expressive landscapes and figure paintings that the critics called Fauvism, one of four artistic movements which were named Cubism, Expressionism, and Futurism. Now as usual I have photos and painting reproductions along the walls and a few smaller sculptures towards the back but not as much as I would've liked due to how much space the sculpting mediums took up. Though, I can't exactly find myself to feel bad about that funnily enough."

Tanna chuckled.

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100