Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Sharing my faith? Help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CheyenneServant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm
When I was 12-16 I battled with severe suicide and depression. At age 16 I came to Christ and all my problems improved so much. No more depression or suicidal feelings. I tried to share my faith with my sister who is not saved yet and she felt that I was too much on Christianity. Out of the blue I held her once and told her Jesus loved her. She did not like that. Another time I came up beside her and prayed "I pray that the Holy Spirit will work in her" and she just starred like I was mad. I used to speak in tounges under my breath and that struck her as weird. I've pulled back some but I still want to share my faith with her. How do I go about it in a friendly way? She's much older than me and feels that she is more intelligent than me, her 17-year-old sister.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:02 pm
Many Christians aren't very good at evangelizing. This is... kind of normal, actually, among people who have strong faith but little in the way of understanding for how to express it to others. For someone who's not religious, it can look very weird when a religious person suddenly starts talking.

I think a good place to start would be thoroughly researching the basic subjects of Christianity, then asking your sister which bits, in particular, she things you're "too much on". Then do some more research on those particular things and get back to her to explain what they are and why you believe them... or, depending on what you learned, why she's right on a particular subject and you may have changed your mind on it.

People are generally much more willing to listen if you appear lenient, reasonable, and not utterly blinded by what they may think of as a dangerous, brainwashing ideology.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 pm
I just go up and tell the person. Say what's on my mind, but in a gentle manner. If the message is rejected, oh well. We can only pray for people and be an example unto them. Only God changes hearts. Have faith in Him.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 pm
*Coughs*

Actually, I think I'm gonna have to take exception to that one. I seriously doubt God brainwashes people into following Him... which is exactly what twisting emotions and forcing them to believe would be. Being an example for others is still good, though.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:36 am
As a Christian, whether we are considered new to Christianity or not - spreading the gospel can feel scary because we know of potential bad situations that can happen like, "What if this person hates me for it?" We need to remember that the world hated Jesus Christ first and Jesus Christ spread the message many places and wherever he could. We should follow this example.

There is straight forward witnessing where we can tell people about God and everything and there is more passive ways such as handing out tracts and possibly reading tracts to people and then giving them the tract. Testimonies are useful tools as well, especially when someone thinks that since we are Christian - we have a perfect life and all that. We also need to witness through our actions and see to it that we are kind, patient, and every other action God would want us to be. Sometimes we need to go for it and I highly suggest praying ahead of time for God to give us the wisdom on what to say and to effectively reach others. If we witness to hundreds or thousands of people and lead one person to Jesus - that is what matters.

We also need to remember that it is not us specifically that saves people - it is God that saves people! Some Christians get caught up in thinking they are a failure if they can't lead someone to Christ, or think, "I saved that person!" No, God saved that person. As Christians, and servants of God we lead people to Him through our words and kind actions. We plant that seed of hope and faith in another person's soul. It is God that brings the sunshine and the rain to help that seed grow and blossom into something amazing!

Reaching out towards people is something I haven't done enough of and definitely need to go about it. I tend to neglect the responsibility because I don't know how to go about it or am shy. However, these aren't excuses - we need to do what God instructs us to do! So go for it and may God be with you!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:45 am
The only thing I ever found convincing about Christianity was the bible, not the people trying to explain it in everyday conversation. Looking back, these people weren't really prepared to explain much of anything. Many times, when people tried to explain the "religion", they kept using religious jargon that means absolutely nothing to a person that is worldly and, more likely than not, that vocabulary held negative connotations to the world, though the concept it represents may be positive and practical (once you study it out for yourself, but the people speaking to me didn't know diddlysquat on how to explain it to me). So there was a communication disconnect. I think that's the main hurdle for a lot of people.

Before becoming a believer, I heard many of the biblical concepts ridiculed so much to the point that whenever somebody Christian ever tried to explain it, I had all this prejudice / pre-conceived notions that wouldn't let me see/hear what the speaker wanted to communicate. And, as a result of hearing the religion ridiculed so much, I felt like I knew their religion better than them. Added to that, I had absolutely no desire for any spiritual edification; I felt no need. Perhaps this is where your sister is at right now.

Looking back at how I lived in the world, YHWH clearly was manipulating circumstances, conditioning me to stop being so prejudicial (about worldly things) in preparation to finally sit down and read the bible and he used the paranormal to bait me in so to speak. I could say "out of the blue" I developed an interest in reading the bible, but it began first by getting me to read the source material of a thing, before listening to opinions from others (whether haters or fans). Then when I passed that hurdle and learned that lesson (via two examples), I was ready to apply it to more spiritual things which is why I think he allowed me to go the New Age route first: it allowed me to see how full of bologna (and just plain dark) it really was, so when I experienced what the bible was talking about, I knew how to separate legit and edifying from wishful-thinking and demonic.

So, two things: either she develops an interest in reading it herself (which you could pray about privately) or you familiarize yourself with the bible to the point that whenever she has a question, you're able to give an adequate answer that fully satiates her curiosity using plain language. Personally, the proverbs and the prophets most convinced me, in that order. But I had to read it for myself. The desire to "know" has to be there or else it'll fall on deaf ears. The most you could do is pray that our Heavenly Father gives her discernment, understanding, and a thirst to read his words. In the mean time, keep reading scripture; not only will it benefit you personally, but it'll prepare you to answer whatever questions she may have one day. You won't be 17 forever, and she'll come to see you as an adult at some point in her life, as an equal. Study and pray until the opportunity presents itself.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am
It might help to start with parts of the Bible that people can relate to better... specifically, Proverbs. A lot of people have no idea what the text of the Bible actually is, but being able to quote good advice for living well can probably help improve people's opinions of the content.

"Wait, it's not just some crazy book about Jewish zombies, but it actually has good stuff to say...?"  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm
Rednal
*Coughs*

Actually, I think I'm gonna have to take exception to that one. I seriously doubt God brainwashes people into following Him... which is exactly what twisting emotions and forcing them to believe would be. Being an example for others is still good, though.
God doesn't brain wash people. Cults brain wash people. God only opens people's eyes to the truth. Faith comes from Him. It doesn't come from people. That's what I meant when He changes their hearts.

Ezekiel 36:26

New King James Version (NKJV)

26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

I hope that is clear. We don't have the power to save ourselves or anyone else. Only Jesus Christ can do that; Only He can save.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 pm
Rednal
*Coughs*

SR is right, God doesnt brainwash people in fact because of our free will that God gave us, he allows us to believe what we wish. Brainwashing is define as, Make (someone) adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

Does that sound like God to you? God doesnt force us to do anything. He can tell us what he wants us to do but it is our choice to do it. Look at Jonah, God wanted him to go talk to a certain group of people in a certain town and Jonah didnt, he put it off, even went to the point of going the opposite direction. If he was truly brainwashed God wouldnt have to have told him to go there, he would have just left on his own.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm
You should just leave your sister alone and pray to God to Guide her  

Islamic Teacher

x XBliss Wasnt EnoughX x

Sparkly Dark Elf

20,875 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm
I will pray for both you and your sister. I know how it feels to feel like you can't give any advice or talk to your older siblings about your beliefs. It's hard, for sure. Keep your eyes focused on the Lord. Ask Him what He wants you to do, and when He answers you, do it. You'll know what He wants you to do because you'll feel peace about it. Ask Him for wisdom and the right words to say to bring your sister to Him, so that she can be saved just as you were.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:22 am
Acts 26:24
At this point Festus interrupted Paul's defense. "You are out of your mind, Paul!" he shouted. "Your great learning is driving you insane."

Too someone who is not saved we can appear to be crazy. That is understandable, but it is a risk we take when opening our mouths to talk about Jesus. A small risk. If words don't reach through, try actions to show your love for her. smile  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces