Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
ok, so what exactly does gender fluid mean?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zoeypie101

Hygienic Receiver

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm
i recently learned about the term gender fluid, me and my friend were talking about it and she said that she thinks i am gender fluid, can someone explain what gender fluid is to me or give me a few resources to do reserch on or anything, id really like to know more  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm
From my understanding the term "gender fluid" implicates that you (or whom ever it may concern in general) are able to move freely from one gender to another.

This doesn't just included male or female but all gender identities.

From day to day, minute to minute, year to year, you name it, being gender fluid means that you are able to identify with various genders at various times and that you express them accordingly.

You're basically uninhibited and undefined by a single gender but rather any given gender depending on the time or situation.

Hope that helps.

It's hard for me to pinpoint, or from what I understand anyone else to pinpoint, since the term and concept are a bit ambiguous.

Anyone may feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:03 pm
From what I understand, being gender fluid means not having a fixed gender identity.

I did some looking, and there are some definitions here.

This blog post seems like it could be quite helpful, as could this one.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:28 pm
I think this gives me alot of info, but im still confused at why my friend thinks im gender fluid? and for the record she dosn't just say things, an i have known her since she was 13 (she is 18 now) and so she knows me well and i know her well  

zoeypie101

Hygienic Receiver

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 pm
Well, wouldn't it make the most sense to ask her why she thinks so? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:19 pm
she cant really explain it, just said it sounds like me  

zoeypie101

Hygienic Receiver

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 pm
I have to admit that I don't really understand why your friend would suggest that you are gender fluid if she can neither explain the term to you, nor articulate why she thinks it applies to you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 pm
Gender-fluid (can also be called gender-queer) is not having one assigned gender, such as male or female, but rather being a mix of both, or no gender at all. In short, it's someone that doesn't accept a gender, and prefers to be 'just them' and not have to conform to a gender.  

Dragon Queen Nekrosis

debinoresu

Winner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 pm
I think your friend has a misunderstanding as to what the word gender-fluid means? she probably thinks it's a description of a behavior, not a gender identity. either that, or she thinks she can just slap gender identities on people because of their behavior/because it just "sounds like them," which in that case, isn't an okay thing to do. by calling you gender-queer, she's technically misgendered you, as she has referred to you as a gender you don't currently identify as. it's pretty much the same as her saying "I think you're a girl, because you just.. I dunno.. sound like it."  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games