Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Study of Ancient Runes I (1/4) *New Class 2/17* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am
Study of Ancient Runes
Professor Grayson Powell

User Image
Friday 11:00am to 11:45
(Updated on Mondays)

Grayson Powell had his feet propped up on his desk as he was seated reading yet another book. Next to his desk was a globe the size of a stove, while a stone tablet covered with hieroglyphics sat on the other side. A new addition included a peculiar stone engraved with numerous runes. A list of rules and expectations was listed on the chalkboard behind him, and two bookcases sat on either side of it brimming with books. He seemed totally engrossed with what he was reading, and didn't seem to notice any students filing in.

Rules of the Classroom
Do not come to class late.
No disruptive behavior, fighting, or swearing.
Do not interrupt lecture.
Raise your hand if you have any questions.
Please feel free to speak openly only when open discussions are permitted.
Come to class prepared with paper, quills, and a copy of Spellman's Syllabary.
Failure to comply with these rules will result in loss of points and/or detention!

Study of Ancient Runes
Third Year
Runic Languages [ ]
Introduction to Elder Futhark [ ]
Elder Futhark Runes [ ]
Elder Futhark Runic Names [ ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:39 pm
User Image
User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Powell looked around the room as he prepared it for his first class in Ancient Runes. Honestly, he was pretty excited. He loved history, and this class was just an extension of it. Besides, this was probably the one class he could showcase his love for ancient scripts and not me looked at as odd. Grinning, he wrote on the board a message and settled back to wait and see what came through the door.

Professor Powell
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

"Welcome class to your first lesson in the study of Ancient Runes. If you don't know who I am by this point, you have obviously not been paying attention in History of Magic. Before we begin this lesson, may I advise you that there will not be any spells in class, so please put your wands away." He waited for the class to comply before launching into his, well, so-called lecture. It wasn't so much a lecture in his opinion as it was just having fun with the class. "Now class, I would like you to direct your attention to the board for a few moments. Notice something odd about it? I can tell you that each line says exactly the same thing. Ten points to whoever can figure out what it says first, and we shall move on with our lesson."

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: ...

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:35 pm
User Image
User Image
▶ Despite the lies that you're making, your love is mine for the taking ◀
▶ My love is just waiting to turn your tears to roses ◀

╒═════════════════════════════╕

cнᴀɴcᴇ entered the classroom, surprised to find his History of Magic professor at the front of the room. So he taught this class too? Interesting. Taking his seat, the Ravenclaw wondered who else would be in class with him. After all, Ancient Runes? Who would sign up for that class other than someone ready and willing to work hard. Glancing to the board, then to Professor Powell, Chance paused, thinking for a few minutes. "Odd? You mean besides the fact that it's not written in English? Well, if I had to guess, I would say it says your name, Professor. I mean, some of those characters look like regular letters. I can see a sort of R, and maybe an S. And the fact that your name isn't written anywhere else on the board. I don't know what your first name is, so I could be wrong. In fact, if I was right, I'd be surprised, sir." Sitting back in his chair, Chance hoped he wouldn't be alone in this class. That would just be awkward, and not only for him.

╘═════════════════════════════╛

▶ No, you'll never be alone ◀
▶ When darkness comes you know I'm never far ◀
▶ Hear the whispers in the dark ◀

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:53 pm
User ImageUser Image 
I'm always ṡ¢яεαмιиģ my lungs out 'til my head starts รקเภภเภﻮ☩ 
Won't keep my νøι¢ε down☩ 
Know the words I รקєคк are the τнøυģнτṡ I think out ใ๏ย๔☩ 

×××××Jaslyn skipped into class, just in time to spot Chance's red hair and his somewhat sarcastic answer to the professor. She giggled quietly and plopped down int he seat next to him, leaning over and gently kissing his cheek, before returning her attention to the professor. She blinked at the words written on the board and shrugged. Chance's answer seemed pretty smart though, so she nodded her head in agreement.

OOC...

Let's leave no words ยภรק๏кєภ, and save яεģяετṡ for the вяøќεи.☩ 
Will you even look ๒คςк when you think of мε?☩ 
I know to keep my hopes up ђเﻮђ, and my head down ℓøω.

Devlyn Maycry

Obsessive Sex Symbol

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:39 am
User Image
User Image

Grayson entered the room and went immediately to the board, writing several lines on it before he put the chalk down. Dusting his hands off, he turned to regard the classroom, ready to teach this lesson.

Professor Powell
Runic Languages
Elder Futhark
Anglo-Saxon Futhorc
Younger Futhark and Hålsinge Runes

"Welcome back class. Last lesson I gave you a taste of the Runic alphabets, and this one we shall discuss a bit on the different styles of runes. Obviously you can see on the board several different styles, and last class, you got to see them in action. Each variation of runes was developed over time, and in different regions, often reflecting the fact that all of them developed from preferences in the local language and peoples." He looked around, hoping that he wouldn't put anyone to sleep with this next part. "As for the runic alphabets, there are or were five different variations used. Elder Futhark is the most ancient Germanic runic alphabet that was in use from the 2nd to 8th centuries by all Germanic tribes. This system of runic writing has a very peculiar and complex inner structure. Anglo-Saxon Futhorc is a system of runic writing used in Anglo-Saxon and Frisian inscriptions belonging to the 5th to 9th centuries. Already the word itself shows that Futhorc (as compared to Common Germanic Futhark) developed due to phonemic changes in the languages that it was designed to transcribe. Long Branch variant of the Younger Futhark, also known as Danish runes, is the normal or standard representation of the Younger Futhark, which began to develop at the end of the 8th century and was accepted by the 10th century in the whole of Scandinavia. Short Twig variant of the Younger Futhark is also known as Rök runes. It was used in Norway and Sweden along with the Long Branch variant that was more characteristic for Denmark. Staveless or Hålsinge runes were used only in a restricted area and may be a good example of minimalism. They also may be interpreted as a secret writing system."

He grinned a bit, letting his excitement show for the subject. "Obviously not all of them survived to today in muggle society, which is honestly a shame, because they are a beautiful writing system. However, all of them are used in some way or another in the wizarding world, and can often be seen replacing the regular Latin alphabet in some instances. Also, the Wizarding world created their own system of numbers, and attributed special significance to each. However, that is a lesson for another day. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and sorry for the lecture, but we shall get into working with Runes next lesson."

OOC: Dang, that lecture eek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:25 pm
User Image
User Image

Powell looked around the room as he prepared it for his first class in Ancient Runes. Honestly, he was pretty excited. He loved history, and this class was just an extension of it. Besides, this was probably the one class he could showcase his love for ancient scripts and not me looked at as odd. Grinning, he wrote on the board a message and settled back to wait and see what came through the door.

Professor Powell
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

"Welcome class to your first lesson in the study of Ancient Runes. If you don't know who I am by this point, you have obviously not been paying attention in History of Magic. Before we begin this lesson, may I advise you that there will not be any spells in class, so please put your wands away." He waited for the class to comply before launching into his, well, so-called lecture. It wasn't so much a lecture in his opinion as it was just having fun with the class. "Now class, I would like you to direct your attention to the board for a few moments. Notice something odd about it? I can tell you that each line says exactly the same thing. Ten points to whoever can figure out what it says first, and we shall move on with our lesson."

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 pm
Manage me, I'm a mess
Turn a page, I'm a book
Half unread
I just wanna be laughed at, laughed with
Just because I wanna feel weightless
And that should be enough
But I'm stuck in this stupid rut
Waiting on a second hand pick me up

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott
- Muggleborn - Third Year - Hufflepuff -
[feeling: befuddled] [thinking:...] [with: Third Years] [at: Study of Ancient Runes]

Uriel stared blankly at the board after sitting down. He had absolutely no clue. Each line might be three words, but what was one word in English could be two words in runes. He didn't know, so he said nothing, just copied down each line.
I don't wanna dream anymore.

I'm over, getting older
Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year
And I'm so sick of watching
While the minutes pass and I go nowhere
And this is my reaction to everything I fear
'Cause I've been going crazy
I don't want to waste another minute here

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:15 am
User Image
User Image

I woke up it was 7. I waited till 11, just to figure out that no one would call.
I think I've got a lot of friends but I don't hear from them. What's another night all alone?
When you're spending everyday on your own... And here it goes,

Hunter looked at the bored his one eye studying the ruins. He could only really make out the first line then it went down hill from there and the last one he had no idea what they could be. Hunter tried to see this as a puzzle. He got the first word as 'Profesor Grajson Pouel' Then the letters in the second line 'Br f r r in B unl', the third 'r f r r i u l', the forth 'pe f m r r n p uel' He blinked his one eye as he figured it out "They all say Professor Grayson Prowell in different runes."

I'm just a kid and life is a nightmare. I'm just a kid, I know that it's not fair.
Nobody cares, cause I'm alone and the world is having more fun than me tonight.

What the f*ck is wrong with me? Don't fit in with anybody. How did this happen to me?
Wide awake I'm bored and I can't fall asleep, and every night is the worst night ever.

Xistund

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 am
User Image
                                                User Image

Powell looked around the room as he prepared it for his first class in Ancient Runes. Honestly, he was pretty excited. He loved history, and this class was just an extension of it. Besides, this was probably the one class he could showcase his love for ancient scripts and not be looked at as odd. Grinning, he wrote on the board a message and settled back to wait and see what came through the door.

Professor Powell
                                                User Image
                                                User Image
                                                User Image
                                                User Image
                                                User Image

Location: Study of Ancient Runes classroom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 pm
User Image

xxxxxLindsay may not have seen history as being overly interesting, but he did ancient stuff to be interesting. He walked into the classroom and took his seat. The board seemed so intense. What was all of that? Lindsay had never seen anything like that before. He study it for a bit, trying to figure out what the professor had written on it. The man said that it was the same words on each line. That made it a bit easier. He only had to figure out one line to figure out the rest. But he still had to figure out a line.  

a porg
Vice Captain

Anxious Astronomer

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:51 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Powell looked around the room as he prepared it for his first class in Ancient Runes. Honestly, he was pretty excited. He loved history, and this class was just an extension of it. Besides, this was probably the one class he could showcase his love for ancient scripts and not be looked at as odd. Grinning, he wrote on the board a message and settled back to wait and see what came through the door.

Professor Powell
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image

════════════════════════
                                            Thinking: First lesson, let's see how this goes.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 pm
User Image
𝔼𝕔𝕙𝕠 𝕚𝕤...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // dating Kasdeja de Assispace
CURRENTLY // Looking Bookish in Ancient Runesspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Classmatesspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Happyspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'So he teaches both classes, awesome!' spacespac

♣ ♥ ♦ ♠ Can I pose a question? How do you kill what is dead?
I just shoot from the hip, and I aim for the head.
♣ ♥ ♦ ♠
════════════════════════════════════════════════

spaceEcho was in an exceptionally good mood as he entered the classroom for Ancient Runes. Professor Powell was his favorite teacher, after all, and now he had him for two lessons. His sister thought he was weird for liking the guy, but she hated history and thought he was weird in general, so there was that. He took a seat towards the front of the classroom and took out his things, leaving his wand in its place up his sleeve, figuring it wouldn't be needed. When the professor 'introduced' himself, Echo was unable to keep a small chuckle from emerging. He copied down the runes on the board, with space between each symbol and underneath it for him to cross-reference them with the information in his textbook. If each line said the same thing, and the bottom one's form didn't match the others, they probably were all different forms of runic languages. But, he only had to figure out two lines, and check it by one more, to know what it said. A couple of the lines had similar symbols, too, the first two 'letters' of the first and fourth lines being the same... after a moment, he thought he had it figured out, and raised his hand. "Isn't it your name? Professor Grayson Powell?" He was almost certain he had that right... the first line had easily been the easiest to translate, but the letters of the ones below matched closely enough. Or, he hoped they did.

════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          ♣ ♥ ♦ ♠ He used to be your friend; that was another life.
                                                          With a single bullet, we're gonna blow his mind
                                                          ♣ ♥ ♦ ♠

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:03 am
Waking up in a world surrounded by flames...
Where everything I liked is about to fade...
How could you be the one, if you're not the same?
If in the hands of gods, you have lost your way?
How ever fast I dance to make the sun shine-
I will never fall down!
No matter what it takes, I'll try to save the ghost lights...
How ever hard I pray to remake you mine-
I will never fall down!

How ever hard I pray: Happy
To remake you mine: ...
I will never fall down: Third Years
No matter what it takes: Ancient Runes

E L S B E T H | L Y N W E N | V A S S
B L O O D T R A I T O R | H U F F L E P U F F | T H I R D Y E A R User Image

Elsie was sometimes bored in History of Magic, but no by the material so much as just the environment of the class, which could be a bit stifling. She hoped this would be more lively. She sat next to Echo, and nodded her agreement silently of his guess. She was guessing the same thing. She went back to copying down all the runes, trying to be careful to get all the markings right.

I'LL TRY TO SAVE THE GHOST LIGHTS...

Waking up in the fog, the dust and the pain...
And of the sunny days, no traces remain...
How could you be the one, if you sail away?
Without you I can't stand the sound of the rain!
How ever fast I dance to make the sun shine-
I will never fall down!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson nodded at the younger man, glad that someone paid attention to what they read. "That is exactly correct Mister Lovette. Ten points to Ravenclaw. It's easy to see what it is if you pay attention to some of the runes, as some of them resemble the letters in their Latin counterparts. Now, for the assignment, I would like for you to read up on the different sets of runes, and prepare to learn about them in class next time. You are dismissed."

Next class...

Grayson entered the room and went immediately to the board, writing several lines on it before he put the chalk down. Dusting his hands off, he turned to regard the classroom, ready to teach this lesson.

Professor Powell
                                            Runic Languages
                                            Elder Futhark
                                            Anglo-Saxon Futhorc
                                            Younger Futhark and Hålsinge Runes

"Welcome back class. Last lesson I gave you a taste of the Runic alphabets, and this one we shall discuss a bit on the different styles of runes. Obviously you can see on the board several different styles, and last class, you got to see them in action. Each variation of runes was developed over time, and in different regions, often reflecting the fact that all of them developed from preferences in the local language and peoples." He looked around, hoping that he wouldn't put anyone to sleep with this next part. "As for the runic alphabets, there are or were five different variations used. Elder Futhark is the most ancient Germanic runic alphabet that was in use from the 2nd to 8th centuries by all Germanic tribes. This system of runic writing has a very peculiar and complex inner structure. Anglo-Saxon Futhorc is a system of runic writing used in Anglo-Saxon and Frisian inscriptions belonging to the 5th to 9th centuries. Already the word itself shows that Futhorc (as compared to Common Germanic Futhark) developed due to phonemic changes in the languages that it was designed to transcribe. Long Branch variant of the Younger Futhark, also known as Danish runes, is the normal or standard representation of the Younger Futhark, which began to develop at the end of the 8th century and was accepted by the 10th century in the whole of Scandinavia. Short Twig variant of the Younger Futhark is also known as Rök runes. It was used in Norway and Sweden along with the Long Branch variant that was more characteristic for Denmark. Staveless or Hålsinge runes were used only in a restricted area and may be a good example of minimalism. They also may be interpreted as a secret writing system."

He grinned a bit, letting his excitement show for the subject. "Obviously not all of them survived to today in muggle society, which is honestly a shame, because they are a beautiful writing system. However, all of them are used in some way or another in the wizarding world, and can often be seen replacing the regular Latin alphabet in some instances. Also, the Wizarding world created their own system of numbers, and attributed special significance to each. However, that is a lesson for another day. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and sorry for the lecture, but we shall get into working with Runes next lesson."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: Study of ANcient Runes classroom
                                            Thinking: Should be an interesting lesson...
                                            OOC:

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:03 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image

════════════════════════
                                            Thinking: First lesson, let's see how this goes.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas