Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fourth Year Classes
Study of Ancient Runes II (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 am
Study of Ancient Runes
Professor Grayson Powell

User Image
Wednesday 9:00am to 9:45am
(Updated on Mondays)

Grayson Powell had his feet propped up on his desk as he was seated reading yet another book. Next to his desk was a globe the size of a stove, while a stone tablet covered with hieroglyphics sat on the other side. A new addition included a peculiar stone engraved with numerous runes. A list of rules and expectations was listed on the chalkboard behind him, and two bookcases sat on either side of it brimming with books. He seemed totally engrossed with what he was reading, and didn't seem to notice any students filing in.

Rules of the Classroom
Do not come to class late.
No disruptive behavior, fighting, or swearing.
Do not interrupt lecture.
Raise your hand if you have any questions.
Please feel free to speak openly only when open discussions are permitted.
Come to class prepared with paper, quills, and a copy of Spellman's Syllabary.
Failure to comply with these rules will result in loss of points and/or detention!

Study of Ancient Runes
Fourth Year
Introduction to Anglo-Saxon Futhorc [ ]
Anglo-Saxon Futhorc Runes [ ]
Anglo-Saxon Futhorc Runic Names [ ]
Runic Numbers [ ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 pm
User Image
User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson walked into the classroom confidently and walked over to the board, quickly writing out the lesson of the day onto it and turning around to face the class. This year he was teaching a new group and a new subject, but one he knew quite well. As it was, he was almost vibrating with energy as he bounced on the balls of his feet, ready for class to start.

Professor Powell
Introduction to Anglo-Saxon Runes
User Image

"Hello class and welcome back to the Study of ANcient Runes. I am your new professor, Grayson Powell, though you should know that by now from History of Magic. If you don't, either you fell asleep in class, or you didn't attend. I don't need your names, since I should know all of you by now, so let's get down to the brass tacks."

He gestured to the board behind him. "As you can see, I already went ahead and wrote the lesson for the day on the board, as well as an example of Anglo-Saxon runes at work. If you can't tell, it's my name, so that's pretty simple, huh? Anglo Saxon Runes are the runes that developed in the British Isles They are known as Anglo-Saxon Futhorc runes because of the first six letters in the alphabet, not unlike the Elder Futhark and how its name originated. It developed because of phonetic changes in the language, and thus the writing system developed two new runes to reflect that. Now, I'm not going to get into a whole lecture the first day of class, but if you're interested, you may try and see if you can write your own name in this system. Just go ahead and use your textbooks to do so, and we shall get into the bigger stuff next class."

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: Okay, might be a bit of a homework assignment, but an easy one. Just use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your name, select Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's it, and the translator is really fun to use! ^^

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Every part of my memory
Lives inside a night when you were mine
Round and round
The feeling is beating now
Still running down
It's playing all the time
User Image

User Image Pureblood Dating Rose Hall

☆·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.
Nell walked into the classroom in a bit of a rush worried she might be late from having came from outside then sighed in relief when she realized that the professor and yet to begin. She took a seat and blinked in a bit of surprise when she realized that her previous History professor was now her Runes professor, so that's where he went! With a grin she took out her syllabary, parchment, and quill and began to write down the short speech. Once he was finished the Scot filled thru her book looking at the Anglo-Saxon alphabet before slowly writing her name: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
She stared at the odd runes noticing the repeating ones and filing them away for later but still feeling a bit out of depth. She really hoped she could keep up with it.
·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.☆

Wearing: Uniform | Where: Ancient Runes Classroom | With: The professor | Thoughts: There's so many... | OOC:

I am the DJ
And you are the record that I play
And when I scratch the surface
Does it still make you nervous
I am the DJ And you're still my favorite mistake
So when you get that feeling
Keep dancing Keep dancing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:32 pm
User Image
User Image

Grayson entered the classroom, cleared the board from last class, and settled down to wait. He was kind of tired, but he shoved the sensation away easily as he reminded himself that he couldn't just go to bed, and that he'd had longer nights on dig sites than this. Stretching, he sat on his desk and waited for students.

Professor Powell
The Anglo-Saxon Runic Alphabet
User Image

"Hello class and welcome back. Last lesson we did a brief introduction to this year's set of runes, and now we are getting into actually working with and learning which letter corresponds with what. Please make sure you have your quills and parchment ready so you can practice writing them as we speak."

He gestured to the board behind him. "Now, as you can see, the first six letters of this alphabet actually form the name of this system, Futhorc. Like Elder Futhark, This system of writing can be written any which way, backwards, forwards, up, and down, as long as the runes are read in a line. Alternatively, in modern uses of the languages, we write them as we do the Latin alphabet, which of course is from left to right. Also, as opposed to the aforementioned alphabet, you do not actually write out double letters. Take my last name for example. Powell happens to be written with two L's, however, when written in futhorc, I would only write one lagu, or L in futhorc. Now, as for your assignment, and yes, I am giving you an assignment, please practice writing this system by writing a sentence or two in futhorc. Yes, I know it is more difficult to do than the Latin alphabet, but the purpose of this assignment is to get used to writing out the runes and getting a feel for them. Also, make sure you memorize these, because next lesson, the next assignment is to start reading manuscripts in this language."

OOC: Again, another simple assignment if you want to do it. Just like last time, use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your sentence/sentences, select Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's itfor this lesson! ^^

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:27 am
Every part of my memory
Lives inside a night when you were mine
Round and round
The feeling is beating now
Still running down
It's playing all the time
User Image

User Image Pureblood Dating Rose Hall

☆·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.
Nell came into the classroom and sat in her normal spot as she waited for class to start. When it did she wrote down his lecture she frowned as she listened to the assignment. Sentences? She barely got through her name! But she pulled out her syllabary and got to work.
User Image
With the last scratch of her quill she stared down at the runes with a small proud smile. She was getting the hang of this!
·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.☆

Wearing: Uniform | Where: Ancient Runes Classroom | With: The professor | Thoughts: There's so many... | OOC:

I am the DJ
And you are the record that I play
And when I scratch the surface
Does it still make you nervous
I am the DJ And you're still my favorite mistake
So when you get that feeling
Keep dancing Keep dancing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:30 pm
User Image
User Image

Grayson walked into the classroom confidently and walked over to the board, quickly writing out the lesson of the day onto it and turning around to face the class. This year he was teaching a new group and a new subject, but one he knew quite well. As it was, he was almost vibrating with energy as he bounced on the balls of his feet, ready for class to start.

Professor Powell
User Image

"Hello class and welcome back to the Study of Ancient Runes." He gestured to the board behind him. "As you can see, I already went ahead and wrote the lesson for the day on the board, as well as an example of Anglo-Saxon runes at work. If you can't tell, it's my name, so that's pretty simple, huh? Anglo Saxon Runes are the runes that developed in the British Isles They are known as Anglo-Saxon Futhorc runes because of the first six letters in the alphabet, not unlike the Elder Futhark and how its name originated. It developed because of phonetic changes in the language, and thus the writing system developed two new runes to reflect that. Now, I'm not going to get into a whole lecture the first day of class, but if you're interested, you may try and see if you can write your own name in this system. Just go ahead and use your textbooks to do so, and we shall get into the bigger stuff next class."

OOC: Okay, might be a bit of a homework assignment, but an easy one. Just use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your name, select Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's it, and the translator is really fun to use! ^^

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

x-Phoenix Phyre-x

Obsessive Bibliophile

9,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:48 pm
User Image
~Yvette Tarot~

Gryffindor/Fourth Year/Single/Pureblood/Wearing

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

With: The Class

User Image

Yvette smiled when she entered the classroom again for her second year. She had rather enjoyed this class last time, and she was excited to take it again. Looking into her textbook, she saw the new runes they would be learning and instantly got to work on writing them out, spelling her name carefully on a scrap piece of parchment.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:10 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

"Hello class and welcome back to the Study of Ancient Runes." He gestured to the board behind him. "As you can see, I already went ahead and wrote the lesson for the day on the board, as well as an example of Anglo-Saxon runes at work. If you can't tell, it's my name, so that's pretty simple, huh? Anglo Saxon Runes are the runes that developed in the British Isles They are known as Anglo-Saxon Futhorc runes because of the first six letters in the alphabet, not unlike the Elder Futhark and how its name originated. It developed because of phonetic changes in the language, and thus the writing system developed two new runes to reflect that. Now, I'm not going to get into a whole lecture the first day of class, but if you're interested, you may try and see if you can write your own name in this system. Just go ahead and use your textbooks to do so, and we shall get into the bigger stuff next class."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: Study of Ancient Runes classroom
                                            Thinking: An easy assignment for the first class.

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

════════════════════════

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:55 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:27 pm
Valentina Melody La Russa
Fourteen Years Old/ Fourth Year Gryffindor

As Valentina walked into Ancient Runes looking forward towards this class. Unlike History of Magic where she world sleep through the whole class but she actually wanted to learn.

Webpage Title

Put Name here

Put Name here

Put Name here

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 am
x
x
x
x

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxjust because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's nonsense.

Fourth Year | | Fourteen | | Ravenclaw | | Dating Iñigo | | Half-Blood | | Seeker

Lexine walked into Ancient Runes, rather excited, and set her things down, quickly taking out her supplies for this class. They'd be writing their names in runes. Lexine turned to the correct page in her text book and began. She had been studying the runes, trying to remember them, for quite a while, so it wasn't that much of a struggle for her.

uniform x ooc :: - - -

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:54 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

════════════════════════
                                            Thinking: New year, new runes!
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

mc2
                                            Cathaline League

Yukina101
                                            Thane Abrams

Kiska166
                                            Dalton Quimbly-Scott

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:12 am
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer