Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fourth Year Classes
Study of Ancient Runes II (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom confidently and walked over to the board, quickly writing out the lesson of the day onto it and turning around to face the class. This year he was teaching a new group and a new subject, but one he knew quite well. As it was, he was almost vibrating with energy as he bounced on the balls of his feet, ready for class to start.

Professor Powell
                                            Introduction to Anglo-Saxon Runes
                                            User Image

"Hello class and welcome back to the Study of Ancient Runes." He gestured to the board behind him. "As you can see, I already went ahead and wrote the lesson for the day on the board, as well as an example of Anglo-Saxon runes at work. If you can't tell, it's my name, so that's pretty simple, huh? Anglo Saxon Runes are the runes that developed in the British Isles They are known as Anglo-Saxon Futhorc runes because of the first six letters in the alphabet, not unlike the Elder Futhark and how its name originated. It developed because of phonetic changes in the language, and thus the writing system developed two new runes to reflect that. Now, I'm not going to get into a whole lecture the first day of class, but if you're interested, you may try and see if you can write your own name in this system. Just go ahead and use your textbooks to do so, and we shall get into the bigger stuff next class."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: Study of Ancient Runes classroom
                                            Thinking: New year, new runes!
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            OOC: Okay, might be a bit of a homework assignment, but an easy one. Just use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your name, select Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's it, and the translator is really fun to use! ^^
                                            If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

Now where did I put that wand?

Cara MiaKitty
                                            Lorelei Townsend

Yukina101
                                            Gia Donati

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:25 am
For those days we felt like a mistake,
Those times when love's what you hate,
Somehow we keep marching on.
For those nights when I couldn't be there,
I've made it harder to know that you know
That somehow we'll keep moving on.
User Image
User Image

мυɢɢℓєвσяиє sιиɢℓє υиcσиғιиє∂

Gia was huffing by the time she made it to the history classroom and took her seat. Who the hell decided that Herbology and Ancient Runes made great first of the day classes?! God, what she wouldn't do for an inhaler. Lucky the didn't do much movement in the class besides writing otherwise she might have to talk to the schmuck who made her schedule. She was also thankful that Powell didn't seem much into the first day over exuberance of some of her other professors and just went straight to the point and wrote down everything she needed on the board for her to copy. See, now would've been an excellent usage of a cellphone camera but nope. Damn wizards and their ever damning electricity shortages. And damn stitch in her side! Ugh, she might actually have to start working out if this was how it was going to be this year. She pulled out some paper and got to writing letting the monotonous motion of her hand help slow her heartbeat to a semi-regular bpm before she took out her textbook to attempt her name in the runes. When she wad done and staring down at her work, User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.xxUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. and had to admit it was pretty cool looking.

Quote:
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Wearing △Where ~History classroom △With ~Class △What ~Learning I guess △OOC ~
For all of the plans we've made,
There isn't a flag I'd wave,
Don't care if we bend,
I'd sink us to swim,
We're marching on
We're marching on

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:14 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson entered the classroom, cleared the board from last class, and settled down to wait. He was kind of tired, but he shoved the sensation away easily as he reminded himself that he couldn't just go to bed, and that he'd had longer nights on dig sites than this. Stretching, he sat on his desk and waited for students.

Professor Powell
                                            The Anglo-Saxon Runic Alphabet
                                            User Image

"Hello class and welcome back. Last lesson we did a brief introduction to this year's set of runes, and now we are getting into actually working with and learning which letter corresponds with what. Please make sure you have your quills and parchment ready so you can practice writing them as we speak."

He gestured to the board behind him. "Now, as you can see, the first six letters of this alphabet actually form the name of this system, Futhorc. Like Elder Futhark, this system of writing can be written any which way, backwards, forwards, up, and down, as long as the runes are read in a line. Alternatively, in modern uses of the languages, we write them as we do the Latin alphabet, which of course is from left to right. Also, as opposed to the aforementioned alphabet, you do not actually write out double letters. Take my last name for example. Powell happens to be written with two L's, however, when written in futhorc, I would only write one lagu, or L in futhorc. Now, as for your assignment, and yes, I am giving you an assignment, please practice writing this system by writing a sentence or two in futhorc. Yes, I know it is more difficult to do than the Latin alphabet, but the purpose of this assignment is to get used to writing out the runes and getting a feel for them. Also, make sure you memorize these, because next lesson, the next assignment is to start reading manuscripts in this language."

════════════════════════
                                            OOC: Again, another simple assignment if you want to do it. Just like last time, use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your sentence/sentences, select Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. Just include the sentence or sentences in an OOC note for a translation. That's it for this lesson! ^^
                                            If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

Cara MiaKitty
                                            Lorelei Townsend

Yukina101
                                            Gia Donati

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 am
~ New Year ~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:45 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom confidently and walked over to the board, quickly writing out the lesson of the day onto it and turning around to face the class. This year he was teaching a new group and a new subject, but one he knew quite well. As it was, he was almost vibrating with energy as he bounced on the balls of his feet, ready for class to start.

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

"Hello class and welcome back to the Study of Ancient Runes." He gestured to the board behind him. "As you can see, I already went ahead and wrote the lesson for the day on the board, as well as an example of Anglo-Saxon runes at work. If you can't tell, it's my name, so that's pretty simple, huh? Anglo Saxon Runes are the runes that developed in the British Isles They are known as Anglo-Saxon Futhorc runes because of the first six letters in the alphabet, not unlike the Elder Futhark and how its name originated. It developed because of phonetic changes in the language, and thus the writing system developed two new runes to reflect that. Now, I'm not going to get into a whole lecture the first day of class, but if you're interested, you may try and see if you can write your own name in this system. Just go ahead and use your textbooks to do so, and we shall get into the bigger stuff next class."

════════════════════════
                                            OOC: Okay, might be a bit of a homework assignment, but an easy one. Just use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your name, select Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's it, and the translator is really fun to use! ^^

Miss GryffindorK
                                            Contessa Linwood

Graydon Ironshield
                                            Siobhan Grey

EmryssStorm
                                            Anna-Marie Curts

Porcelaine Ivory
                                            Liam Cade

Essy ze Ninja
                                            Savannah Hastings

The Shiny Furret
                                            Kyson Macclellan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:40 pm
User Image
Siobhan'Hannah'Grey
HufflepuffFourth YearFourteen Years OldSingle

For Hannah, Ancient Runes was simply another art class, in the same way the study of calligraphy might be for others. She certainly found the study of languages interesting, even if she couldn't speak Irish as fluently as much of her family did (Fianna and Selina especially, whom seemed to speak it almost exclusively when they were at home or just together). She still wasn't sure if she would take it once OWLs were completed, but she figured she would deal with that next year.

Hannah started working out how to write her name out in Anglo-Saxon runes, and came up with:

User Image

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

OOC:
Username

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 am
~ New Year ~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:56 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales
                                            Leon McGregor

Devlyn Maycry
                                            Aimee McHalen

The Shiny Furret
                                            Kiley Umber

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 pm
~ New Year ~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:07 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 am
User Image
Fianna Grey
Gryffindor Fourth Year Fourteen Years OldSingle

Study of Ancient Runes was a nice break, in between her early morning Herbology class (thankfully she no longer had Professor Hill to deal with in that one), and her Cursebreaking class. She was disappointed they wouldn't study Ogham runes, or the Druidic writings of her homeland, but then she wasn't the one writing the lesson plans. At some point, she thought she might ask the Professor about studying them, and see what he had to say on the subject.

User Image

After writing the brief bit of runes, Fianna felt pretty pleased with the results.

OOC:
Username

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
                  Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  We are legends, every day"
                  That's what she told me

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  Under this pressure, under this weight
                  We are diamonds"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:26 pm
~ New Year ~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:28 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:49 pm
~ New Year ~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:51 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Fourth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces