Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Study of Ancient Runes III (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:20 am
~New Year~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:23 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Powell walked into the classroom, a spring in his step as he busied himself around the classroom, getting it ready for the day. After he was satisfied, he then turned toward the board in the room and quickly wrote out the lesson as well as several lines. Finished, he turned toward the class and waited for the students to enter.

Professor Powell
                                            Introduction to Younger Futhark Runes

"Welcome to your third year in Ancient Runes. Over the last two years, we have reviewed the more common forms of Runes. This year, we shall explore the Younger Futhark, so named because of the fact they were used during the eighth century and onward. At the end of the eighth century an unknown rune-master reformed the Elder Futhark having reduced it to sixteen runes. By the tenth century the new form of writing was accepted in the whole of Scandinavia. It is this set of runes that may be properly called Viking runes, since they were used by the Scandinavians during the Viking Age."

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

Grayson then pointed to the three lines of runes he had writen. "As you can see, there are three variations on these runes. They are called the Long Branch, the Short Twig, and the Staveless. Each of these developed during this time frame, and each has a distinctive way in writing them. Not all Scandinavian countries used the same rune sets, as you can see, and each were used for different reasons. For example, the Short Twig and Long Branch sets of runes were common in several countries for daily use, while the Staveless variety might have been used in code writing. Now, I want you to practice writing your names in these systems, since the more you practice, the more you will be able to recognize them and be able to apply them to what you are reading."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic Classroom
                                            Thinking: Class time!
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            OOC: OOC: Okay, might be a bit of a homework assignment, but an easy one. Just use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your name, select either Long Branch, Short Twig, or Staveless, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's it, and the translator is really fun to use! ^^
                                            If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

Now where did I put that wand?

Cara MiaKitty
                                            Ivy Bishop

Yukina101
                                            Eirawen Baines

Graydon Ironshield
                                            Selina Grey

murruelecreuset
                                            Grace Mitchell

The Forgotten Weasley
                                            Antigone Lillantine

Shabatha
                                            Sata Snow

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:31 pm
User Image
                                            And you don't seem the lying kind
                                            A shame you seemed an honest man
                                            And all the fears you hold so dear

User Image

════════════════════════

Fifth Yᴇᴀʀ |Ⅴ Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Prefect |Ⅴ| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

Selina found the Ancient Runes interesting, as it gave her things to work on she didn't normally get the chance to do. It had taken her while, since their bad start in her first term for her to warm up to Professor Powell, and get to the point she actually rather liked him.

As Selina started working on her assignment, she asked, "Professor, how did Staveless Runes come about? Were they a form of secret writing, and where and when were they used?"

User Image

════════════════════════
                                            OOC:
                                            User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Will turn to whisper in your ear
                                            and you know I don't mean to hurt you
                                            But you know that it means so much
                                            And you don't even feel a thing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm
Made something better, he kept it for himself.
I'm not that stupid, I just need a lot of help-
To understand how stupid you really are.
Down at the bottom of the ocean, I lay down;
Nobody's coming; just continue to drown.
And no one here could ever stop my ruin now.
And I know I've got a lot to fear; you'll get me out...
Oh, God, just get me out of here.

User Image
α и т ı g ø и e
¢ α š š ı ø ρ e ı α
ł ı ł ł α и т ı и e

яανeи¢łαωfıfтн чeαяρυяeвłøøđše¢øиđ вøяи

Anti spent most of the time quietly working on the assignment, while Selina asked some question about staveless runes. It was early, and she wasn't much of a morning person. Besides, she'd just come from Defense, and she had Alchemy this afternoon, both fairly intensive classes.

User Image

OOC:
Username

Nobody's daughter, she never was, she never will-
Be beholden to anyone she cannot kill!
You don't understand how damaged we really are.
You don't understand how evil we really are.
And I will dig my own grave, yeah...
I'm misbegotten; I am the last one you save here.
Of course I'll sleep forever and forever;
Anesthetize all your horrors away.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:27 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image Location: Study of Ancient Runes - Tuesday @ 9:00am

Grace came to class straight from defense. Taking a seat she was more away after her earlier class. As they jumped right into class, she took some notes on the different rune variants. When asked to work on the three types, Grace got her head into her books and began working on it. She spent most of the class time working on it. She only glanced up for a moment when Selina asked Professor Powell a question about the shaveless runes. Something told her that chances were the shaveless was used for code. It sure looked like it.

User Image

User Image

With: Class... Anti, Selina, Professor Powell

Wearing: Ravenclaw Uniform

OOC: ---

Lily the Rabbit

Well you certainly know what you want.
And I won't argue with such a mind as yours.
Ravenclaw!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:48 am
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:51 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Powell walked into the classroom, a spring in his step as he busied himself around the classroom, getting it ready for the day. After he was satisfied, he then turned toward the board in the room and quickly wrote out the lesson as well as several lines. Finished, he turned toward the class and waited for the students to enter.

Professor Powell

"Welcome to your third year in Ancient Runes. Over the last two years, we have reviewed the more common forms of Runes. This year, we shall explore the Younger Futhark, so named because of the fact they were used during the eighth century and onward. At the end of the eighth century an unknown rune-master reformed the Elder Futhark having reduced it to sixteen runes. By the tenth century the new form of writing was accepted in the whole of Scandinavia. It is this set of runes that may be properly called Viking runes, since they were used by the Scandinavians during the Viking Age."

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

Grayson then pointed to the three lines of runes he had writen. "As you can see, there are three variations on these runes. They are called the Long Branch, the Short Twig, and the Staveless. Each of these developed during this time frame, and each has a distinctive way in writing them. Not all Scandinavian countries used the same rune sets, as you can see, and each were used for different reasons. For example, the Short Twig and Long Branch sets of runes were common in several countries for daily use, while the Staveless variety might have been used in code writing. Now, I want you to practice writing your names in these systems, since the more you practice, the more you will be able to recognize them and be able to apply them to what you are reading."

════════════════════════
                                            OOC: OOC: Okay, might be a bit of a homework assignment, but an easy one. Just use this link to go to the site I use, and type out your name, select either Long Branch, Short Twig, or Staveless, and then select Convert. When that's done, just print screen your result, crop the image down, and then post it in class. That's it, and the translator is really fun to use! ^^
                                            If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

Cara MiaKitty
                                            Lorelei Townsend

Yukina101
                                            Gia Donati

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:23 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell

Professor Powell
                                            User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales
                                            Rhys Hamilton-Blake

Miss GryffindorK
                                            Contessa Linwood

Graydon Ironshield
                                            Siobhan Grey

Essy ze Ninja
                                            Savannah Hastings

The Shiny Furret
                                            Kyson Macclellan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 pm
User Image
Siobhan'Hannah'Grey
Hufflepuff PrefectFifth YearFifteen Years OldSingle

For Hannah, Ancient Runes was actually pretty cool, since it allowed her to learn another language, and the writing was basically another sort of artistic expression for her. So when the professor gave out the assignment, she all ready to give it a shot:

User Image

OOC:
Username

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:40 pm
~New Year~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:43 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell

Professor Powell
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:03 pm
~New Year~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell

Professor Powell
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:59 pm
User Image
Fianna Grey
Gryffindor Fifth Year Fifteen Years OldSingle

After taking her Dark Arts class, Fianna welcomed the chance to unwind in Ancient Runes Study. Yeah, she figured that made her seem a bit weird, but then she saw Runes as not just another way of writing, but another form of art, something she'd always been interested in. She started working on the exercise Professor Powell assigned as soon as the lecture had ended, and she took care to make a good job of it.

User Image

OOC:
Username

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  We are legends, every day"
                  That's what she told me

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  Under this pressure, under this weight
                  We are diamonds"