Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Suggestions & feedback
Poll: Announcements

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I use a newer translation in the daily Announcements?
  Yes. It would be easier to understand.
  No. It is not necessary.
  It doesn't really matter to me.
View Results

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 am
I've had some feedback that the King James Bible I am posting now may be
a little hard to understand, ans that some members have stopped reading the announcements for that reason. What do you think? Should I post a more contemporary translation? If yes, which would you prefer and why?  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 am
Perhaps posting the verses in both KJV and a Newer Version? It's always helpful to have a comparison; and, even if they skip the KJV, at least we provided them with the opportunity to read it. I think an older version is important for some areas of scripture, for example, Matthew 17:21 (which is absent from some of the newer versions, though present elsewhere in the text), also Mark 9:29 which says "prayer and fasting", while some of the newer versions just say "prayer". Mark 7:19 in newer versions says all foods are made clean, but the older versions do not. Now that I'm checking, the "World English Bible" (WEB) includes those details of the older versions I just mentioned, while using a more contemporary English. So, I don't know which would be a better solution: two versions (KJV + Newer Version) or just one modern version (WEB) ? or KJV + WEB? Regardless of the versions, I'll continue reading; so, it doesn't affect me so much. But if people can't understand, then it brings no benefit to them—and they're probably the ones who would benefit the most seeing as they're not familiar with scripture yet.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 am
The announcement will look so big if we post both translation.
I would recommend ESV as it is in modern English but still formal ( not much perception translation ) smile  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:34 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
The announcement will look so big if we post both translation.
I would recommend ESV as it is in modern English but still formal ( not much perception translation ) smile

Just like the other newer versions, it too fails to provide the details for Matthew 17:21, Mark 9:29 and Mark 7:19 [»]

edit: the WEB being the exception among the newer versions [»] (actually the WEB fails with Mk 7:19 too, lol).

http://bible.cc/matthew/17-21.htm
http://bible.cc/mark/9-29.htm
http://bible.cc/mark/7-19.htm  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 am
I think its okay if only a small detail.
Additionally, footnotes usually also explain better.
Each translation type has its own advantages and disadvantages.
However, for the broad members of the group, I recommend a version which is easier to understand.
The decision is of course in captain's hand smile  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:59 am
Post both, that way one can gleam from them both, one from another.

EDIT: It really isn't that hard to understand. It's probably easier now that we have the internet to look up any verbage that could have been deemed 'difficult'. Defending The King James Bible  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Suggestions & feedback

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items