Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
What are your thoughts on mentally ill people having kids?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A poll.
  Gold!!!
View Results

Miku-Marmalade

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 pm
I have bipolar. I personally don't want kids simply because I don't like them.

However I think if someone suffering from a mental disorder they should be stable before having kids. I've known sooooooooooo many people in my life who had their kids taken away due to breakdowns. I think it's good to take parenting classes. And that's for everyone.

I feel bad for then yes. But it's always about prevention. I think that someone suffering from a mental illness can make great parents. Especially since they can be very understanding. But they need to be stable. Mentally and financially.

So what're your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:38 pm
It depends on the mental illness. For a majority of them, I say as long as the person is taking their medication and/or is stable and knows to get help when they need it, it should be okay.

However I know someone who has been having trouble with her medication and multiple personalities. She wants to have a kid some day and all I can do is scream internally.  

Commander Sigma

Mega Man-Lover

Miku-Marmalade

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 pm
Super Fightin Prototype
It depends on the mental illness. For a majority of them, I say as long as the person is taking their medication and/or is stable and knows to get help when they need it, it should be okay.

However I know someone who has been having trouble with her medication and multiple personalities. She wants to have a kid some day and all I can do is scream internally.

Yeah it could be hard on the kid with that. In the end the kids unhappy and startled. gonk  
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:07 pm
I totally agree with you. It would depend.
If the parent was stable and able to take of herself in addition to a child I have absolutely no problem with it.
But if he or she was struggling with multiple personalities or extreme memory loss ect. I don't think that's a good idea for them or fair to the child.
Just like if I (currently having no mental illnesses) was unemployed and without a permanent home I wouldn't be having a child because I can't provide for them in a situation like that.

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • I Won the Titles the Titles are Mine! 500
  • Couple of Time 500
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:11 pm
There is no way to answer that question as a statement for every person with a mental illness(es), it very much depends on what it is and how they're handling it. If they can't function properly, or are known to go into any kind of fit that might be harmful to themselves or another person, let alone a child, then I would not recommend them ever having one until they can get themselves in check. I know it can hurt to be told you just shouldn't have a kid at any given point in time, but sometimes someone has to realize that if you can't take care of yourself properly, then you shouldn't put a child in that kind of situation, especially if you have the choice. It's just not worth having to make your child deal with your problems when you can't deal with them yourself. So as long as the woman (or the father for that matter) is handling her mental illness well, have a stable mindset and are taking the precautions she needs to, then I don't see a problem with it. Far worse people without mental illnesses get to keep their children regardless, so I don't think a person with one should have to fear not having children as long as they can give them a happy and healthy home.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:31 pm
depends on the illness and the severity. psychologically speaking, a person's mental state of mind is only an issue if they are a danger to themselves or others, and if the condition otherwise makes functioning in society difficult. so as long as they're functioning fine either because of therapy, medication, a combination of the two, or because it just isn't that severe then I see no problem with them having and raising children.

also, I might be biased, I have depression and general anxiety and want kids so... cat_sweatdrop still, that IS the standard for if a person's mental state is an actual issue and it's only then that help of some kind is encouraged so that's basically my answer  

StrayKit

ambypanda

Devoted Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:09 pm
Since every case is different it would depend. I have an anxiety disorder, and 3 kids. I take care of them just fine. But there are cases that are way worse than mine, and the parents can't handle the kids and they get taken away, and in my opinion the kids suffer the most.  
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 am
ambypanda
Since every case is different it would depend. I have an anxiety disorder, and 3 kids. I take care of them just fine. But there are cases that are way worse than mine, and the parents can't handle the kids and they get taken away, and in my opinion the kids suffer the most.

Oh? Congrats on taking care of them
Though. blaugh  

Miku-Marmalade

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash