Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
I'd like to get everyone's opinion...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matts Sister

Invisible Informer

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm
When I was in highschool (I went to Catholic school K-12), I had a religion teacher that taught the subject different then I had been taught before, but I found her method stuck with me whereas every other teacher's didn't.
She was a very open-minded Catholic. It was her belief that, essentially, if we were uncomfortable doing something, we weren't going to go to Hell simply for not doing it.

Ex: I don't go to church. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that the last time I went to church, I was alone, and I felt as if everyone around me was judging me. My church congregation is a very close-knit group and I took a 2 or 3 year hiatus, so when I returned they didn't remember me. I felt like an outsider. So, instead of going to church to worship Him there, I instead send him small little prayers of thanks throughout my day. You know, just thanking him for the small things that I enjoyed like the nice weather or things like that.
When I expressed my concern to my teacher about not going to church and feeling like I was sinning, she told me that because He loved us so much, He wouldn't mind that I didn't worship in church because it made me uncomfortable, but the fact that I do it in my own way makes up for it.

What is everyone's opinion about her way of teaching?
For me, I prefer to think of my God in that way, that as long as I'm happy, He is happy, but I know a lot of others have a hard time grasping and respecting that.  
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 am
If that "uncomfortable" feeling is "unwillingness", then your teacher is correct; for him to be pleased, it must be done willingly—whatever you do. The following verse, for example, specifically addresses willingness when it comes to donating to the poor, but boiling it down to its main principle, this is the attitude we have when serving God:

2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV)

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

However, your teacher errs in this part: being led by what feels right or what you personally think is right can lead to wrong (i.e. Jeremiah 17:9; Ecclesiastes 9:3; Matthew 13:15); so, I don't think that's the best method. Rather, be guided by his words.

In your case, you'll find your answer in John 4; Jesus said we don't have to attend a physical temple:

Quote:
John 4:19-26 (NIV)

19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”

He also said, wherever two or three gather in his name, he is there (Matthew 18:20). So, there should be some type of communication/interaction with other believers, even if you don't physically gather with them on a large scale, for the purpose of getting consistent encouragement (Hebrews 10:25). But no, you don't have to go to a physical church building.

When it comes to serving him, he has given us sufficient revelation to know how to do it, to know which ways are acceptable and which ways are sinful. You just have to read it. I recommend that you personally read through the gospels. Confide in His word because His ways of thinking surpass our own ways of thinking, and He's always righteous; he won't guide you wrong.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)

8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
    declares the Lord.
    9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Matthew 4:4 (NIV)

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[a]”

Footnotes:

a. Matthew 4:4 Deut. 8:3

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

starry night-163

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm
No, Jesus said “If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15) if you love Jesus you will do what is right and it will not be a burden because if you truly love him you will want to do what pleases him. Jesus also said you must be born again to enter into the kingdom of heaven, are you born again? if not repent and believe. In a true believer, someone who is saved, the old man has passed and the new has come, they are no longer under the bondage of sin but free to follow and serve God. Now, not going to church is not a sin, but we are commanded to have fellowship with of ther believers I think and that doesn't mean it has to be every sunday but get together with them whenever you can and if you can't find a true solid Church that preaches the truth then pray about it. However just because you are not comfortable doing something doesn't make it ok if it's something God has commanded you to do, yes it's true that God loves us and won't want us to do something that wouldn't benifit us but following his commandments is very good for us and it's his will that we follow them and it's out of love for us that he has commanded these things so that we might be conformed to the image of his son and be a suitable bride for him. We should ALWAYS even when we feel uncomfortable, do what God has commanded us to do. A true person who is saved will always follow him, a proffessing false convert will not. Yes a true convert can fall into sin but the difference between a true and false convert is that a true convert will always repent of their sin. Repentance refers to the desire to turn from ones sin and restore one's relationship to God, it's a turning away from sin. Also if you do not believe in the true God of the bible the you are worshipping an idol, a made up God that you believe in and love, get to know the one true God, if you don't know God then you can't worship him, you worship a false made up God, and you can't know God without Jesus so repent and place your full trust in him and what he has done for you on that cross, which was pay for you sins in full so that you wouldn't have to, salvation is a free gift.

http://www.esvbible.org/Ephesians+2

http://www.esvbible.org/Romans+5-6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOWyjB7d24

I hope this was of help to you, God bless.  
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:17 pm
I agree with real eyes realize and starry night-163 smile

The church (as in physical building) is not compulsory, but the church (as in community) is important!! Paul stressed this many times in the Bible.
-for the purpose of getting consistent encouragement (Hebrews 10:25)
1 Cor 15:33-"Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character.""
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 ESV-"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken."
Matthew 18:20 ESV-"For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”"

The concept of "As long as I'm happy, He is happy" is selfish. Put it simply, even with relationship with other people; if you just think in how you can be happy, will that makes other people happy too?
“If you love me[and want Me to be happy], you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15)
It should be seen the other way around. We are trying to do our best to put a smile on His face by obeying His commandment. And we also know that our Father wants us to be happy too in doing so by blessing, providing, protecting, and much more!
Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

You are precious, just as God created us in His image and reflecting His glory, in which He is well pleased. That's how the relationship work emotion_bigheart Wonderful!

Feel free to always share with us because we are brother and sister in Christ emotion_brofist
Take care dear, God be with you always emotion_hug  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

StrongGirlBong-Soon

9,475 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 am
As others have already said,church isn't always a building. I'm sure you have other Christian friends that you hang with. Maybe pray with them or have a group study together. I don't get to church very often for various reasons. I pray or just talk to Him throughout the day though. I read the Word. I've heard it said, "Jesus did not die on the cross so man could make religion". I still have fellowship with others though it may not be in a church building.
God bless you and give you peace sister.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:44 pm
I am not a member of this guild, but in my own personal beliefs (I am not christian) I find that your beliefs and your spiritual journey/relationship with your deity is yours alone and not anyone else's. If you do not feel comfortable with going to church, then I would educate yourself and work with your spirituality enough alone until you feel comfortable enough to go.

The journey in your life in spirituality as I stated is yours alone. If you wish to connect to anyone in a community, do so; however, I, myself, would not allow yourself to feel the pressure of others to do something that does not make you feel comfortable. No human person, at least in my understanding of christianity, has the right answers and you should be looking to your deity for those answers.  

iDERZY

Thieving Cat

14,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items