Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
animals able to speak

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm
Do you believe that animals were able to speak in the Garden of Eden and will be able to once the Lord renews everything and make heaven on earth?  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm
Haven't thought of the possibility of animals talking as far as the Garden of Eden is concerned. That's interesting to think about, though. I should do more research on this razz

I've looked on this and I don't believe it's an answer that we'll be able to get. Most of us don't want to assume things that the Bible doesn't say or mention.

Some people may assume that all animals could talk because of the serpent in the Garden of Eden that Satan chose to disguise himself as. Satan is a spiritual being that is on the evil side of things - shape shifting or using some other dark power to become a serpent or look like a serpent I could believe. Since Satan can talk as is - he is able to communicate without being in the form of any animal and since God gave all creatures free will, Satan took advantage. So assuming all animals could talk because one could talk doesn't seem to satisfy the idea that all animals talked.

Balaam didn't appear surprised in Numbers, but that could've been because he wasn't surprised at what God could do, or because he was a calm person. It doesn't mention he was or wasn't surprised.

So I think this is something that we cannot say "yes" or "no" to because we honestly don't know. That's something we'll have to ask God when we see him. There is no definitive "yes" or "no" to this question.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:44 pm
Not particularly, no. I've never seen any real evidence, and besides, the ability to speak would suggest sentience, the ability to sin, the need for redemption, and everything else humans have to deal with. Unless they're all just being mind-controlled and have no free will at all, in which case there's no point of having and caring for animals. 'S not like any of their reactions would be genuine.  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:56 pm
I agree with Rednal.
Not really, I always thought that if they did it would be mentioned during the creation in Genesis.
It is possible but to me their being unable to speak today would mean they are capable of sin and sinned in the Garden therefore needed Jesus to die on the cross for their sins also which again, I feel would have been mentioned in the Bible if true.
So no I don't believe that animals are/were able to speak.

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:31 pm
So no one is curious about how Eve wasn't surprised the serpent talked?  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm
Rednal
Not particularly, no. I've never seen any real evidence, and besides, the ability to speak would suggest sentience, the ability to sin, the need for redemption, and everything else humans have to deal with. Unless they're all just being mind-controlled and have no free will at all, in which case there's no point of having and caring for animals. 'S not like any of their reactions would be genuine.

Or just the ability to talk... neutral  

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm
Unless you're just talking about the ability to create particular sounds (a la parrot), the ability to talk implies the ability to comprehend the meanings of words and use them to communicate with others in a two-sided fashion. To be able to understand the words, we must assume at least a minimal level of intelligence and understanding, at which point something can probably be considered an independent, self-aware being.

So... no. o.O Not just the ability to talk. There's stuff that goes with being able to talk on the same level as humans. Unless you just want to replace "Meow" with "Give me Food" or something... but I don't think I'd like to hear a non-sentient creature talking as anything other than a trick. Again, parrots.

As for the whole "serpent" thing, that implies a certain degree of literalness that may not be the best way to interpret Genesis. Also, they were literally, like, BFF's with God while still in the Garden. I suspect a non-zero possibility that they saw interesting things happen (like, say, Adam experiencing the creation of Eve), and that a talking animal might just be another thing of that nature.  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 pm
Not to mention that in the psalms ALL of creation praise God, even animals....  

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm
Rednal
Unless you're just talking about the ability to create particular sounds (a la parrot), the ability to talk implies the ability to comprehend the meanings of words and use them to communicate with others in a two-sided fashion. To be able to understand the words, we must assume at least a minimal level of intelligence and understanding, at which point something can probably be considered an independent, self-aware being.

So... no. o.O Not just the ability to talk. There's stuff that goes with being able to talk on the same level as humans. Unless you just want to replace "Meow" with "Give me Food" or something... but I don't think I'd like to hear a non-sentient creature talking as anything other than a trick. Again, parrots.

As for the whole "serpent" thing, that implies a certain degree of literalness that may not be the best way to interpret Genesis. Also, they were literally, like, BFF's with God while still in the Garden. I suspect a non-zero possibility that they saw interesting things happen (like, say, Adam experiencing the creation of Eve), and that a talking animal might just be another thing of that nature.

How about Balaam and his donkey? He didn't seem surprised either...
Also, by what the donkey said when God opened it's mouth, it seems as if it had an independent thought.  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 pm
I personally think God will open the mouths of animals and receive praise by them and all creation.  

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:01 pm
It's suggested that there are things which exist (especially angels) that have no free will. Having them do praises is no more meaningful than playing worship songs through a CD; the noise gets made, but there's no specific emotion from the source of the sound, just something it does because that's what it was designed to do. "The Ability to Praise God" does not equal "Self-Aware".  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:07 pm
Rednal
It's suggested that there are things which exist (especially angels) that have no free will. Having them do praises is no more meaningful than playing worship songs through a CD; the noise gets made, but there's no specific emotion from the source of the sound, just something it does because that's what it was designed to do. "The Ability to Praise God" does not equal "Self-Aware".

So, it wasn't satan's and the 1/3's free will to rebel against God?
Receiving praises from angels and his creation mean nothing to Him?  

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm
Rednal

Btw. I'm not saying they actually spoke Adam and Eve's language as a fact but as a probability. All I know is that Adam and Eve understood the animal's speech. They probably did, they probably didn't...

We see animal's speak their own language everyday but we don't understand them...

I do though think that Balaam's donkey did speak his language. It said the Lord opened it's mouth, not Balaam's ears.  
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:35 pm
The forced praises are like... background music. You have it going because you like listening to it. I think. As for the whole rebelling against God thing... they might've had free will just for that (assuming this was, in fact, what actually happened... I don't even remember where the whole 1/3 thing came from).  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

JasmineDarkdreamer

Shadowy Hunter

9,225 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Divorced 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:16 pm
Well ANgels do have free will, its not the same as our free will though. Angels, when they were created they had knowledge of right and wrong and what would happen if they did wrong things. When humans are born we don't know from right and wrong and we don't have the knowledge of what will happen if I do this or that.

Lucifer knew what he was doing and he still did it anyways. Therefore he willing accepted his fate, even though he knew he would become one of the most fear creature.

As for animals speaking I think they had a way to covey their needs to Adam and Eve. At that time Adam and Eve were pure and full of light they could hear and see things that we couldn't imagine today. But when they did what they did, it was lost and sin enter... ... The disobedience to God happen and everything taking away.  
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games