I will never make my father proud....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MalevoIents

Hallowed Conventioneer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm
My father has never told me that he is proud of my accomplishments.

I've preformed in musicals, won countless awards for my photography, and even will be a premiered designer in a Fashion Show coming up {yes I know, crazy that a 17 year old is being a premiered designer in a show, I make dresses out of recycled stuff, and this lady discovered my talent. crazy}, graduating in the top of class, and a bunch of things, and he;s never told me he was once proud of me.

I usually get the "you can do better", or "try harder".
Or he comments on how the other people are better than me.

Or, he'll pick out my flaws, tell me I'm a disappointment for not being the best.

This hurts me so badly. I've cried so much that I can't any longer.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Any advice or anything I should try.
I am emotionally messed up because of my relationship with him..

Do you recommend counselling?

I just want my father to tell me that he's proud, and to not look down at me like I'm a failure.

Any comments, advice or anything will be appreciated.

PM or Posts loved.

Thanks girls <3  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:09 pm
this is like Mulan right here.

dad's unlike mom's have a harder time conveying their emotions to daughters, or rather, they don't know how to.

if i were you, i would have a serious talk with him about the issues you are having. face the problem head on.

okay?  

hoenest

Darling

darlindol17

Bashful Cutie-Pie

7,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 pm
No offense, but your father sounds like a complete douche and I think he needs counseling. Also, you need to sit him down and simply talk to him. Maybe he's too dense to understand how he's making you feel? I feel the same way sometimes, and trust me, talking about it might help. It didn't help in my case because my (adoptive) mom is a complete narcissistic b***h and a sociopath, but maybe there's hope for you. I hope that your father realizes his mistakes and treats you like the gem you are. You deserve to feel that you've made him proud, because any parent would be blessed to have you.  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 pm
Some people are incapable of focusing on the positive. All they see is how you don;t bend to their will and behave like a perfect little robot following their programming to the letter.

I no longer speak to my parents for this and other reasons.

I do recommend counselling, it kept me sane.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

sugolite

Loyal Bunny

14,000 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:58 pm
MalevoIents
My father has never told me that he is proud of my accomplishments.

I understand how you feel. I just gave up on my father's approval. I just continue doing my own thing and improving myself. I knew deep down that it could be tons worse. Continue being you. Strive and succeed and someday you will receive that approval.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm
Is your father an Asian?

Um, don't get me wrong, I'm from an Asian family too. But from years of experience and observation, what I learned is that Asian parents tend to not dish out praises freely because a) they don't want their children to become complacent, or b) they doesn't want their children to become too vain about their achievements, and c) if in front of people, it's more of giving an appearance of being humble. And then, there's also Asian parents' weird fixation on jobs like Doctors, Accountants, etc. etc. 'XDD But yeah, Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother basically sums up why Asian parents act like an a**, and if you're from an Asian family, Id recommend the book.

But if you're not Asian, just ignore my above paragraph. ^^'

There is a possibility that your dad is secretly proud of you but, being a man that he is, couldn't communicate it right to you. Perhaps you could try talking to your mum about it? Mum are usually good at conveying points to dad.

Kudos on your achievements though!  

Swifty-chan

Blessed Explorer

2,700 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Taeping

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:24 pm
ok i know he's your dad and all but who cares what he thinks you should be proud of yourself. you should know when you've done a good job. be independant and if your proud that should be enough your not living his life your living your own  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games