Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Does God have a gender?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:55 pm
Or is He genderless?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm
As easy as this question is to ask - the answer is generally complex.

I personally see God as a male because that's how a lot of Christian society see's it (mostly because of how The Holy Bible is written) and leave it at that since I don't see it as a highly significant matter because God is God - He is what He is.

There is another point of view that says God is not like a human being and is a spiritual being of the highest authority so if he has a gender - we may not know for sure. Some articles I have read on the matter believe that God is listed as a "Father" in The Holy Bible because he possesses Father-like qualities in the sense that He knows our needs, He takes care of us, He listens to us, He helps us, He protects us, He encourages us, etc. Also, that when spreading the word that it was easier for people to understand and relate to the human relationship of a Father and a Son (God and Jesus). It's easy for us to see a relationship between a father and a son because perhaps we see it on a daily basis, and even if we don't - we generally understand the concept of it. So in that regard, it makes more sense to people to describe God as a Father and Jesus as His Son because it's easier for us to recognize that type of relationship among people so we can imagine it between God and Jesus.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 pm
Aquatic_blue

I personally see God as a male because that's how a lot of Christian society see's it (mostly because of how The Holy Bible is written) and leave it at that since I don't see it as a highly significant matter because God is God - He is what He is.

There is another point of view that says God is not like a human being and is a spiritual being of the highest authority so if he has a gender - we may not know for sure. Some articles I have read on the matter believe that God is listed as a "Father" in The Holy Bible because he possesses Father-like qualities in the sense that He knows our needs, He takes care of us, He listens to us, He helps us, He protects us, He encourages us, etc. Also, that when spreading the word that it was easier for people to understand and relate to the human relationship of a Father and a Son (God and Jesus). It's easy for us to see a relationship between a father and a son because perhaps we see it on a daily basis, and even if we don't - we generally understand the concept of it. So in that regard, it makes more sense to people to describe God as a Father and Jesus as His Son because it's easier for us to recognize that type of relationship among people so we can imagine it between God and Jesus.

Ah...But aren't we made in His image? Also in Revelations, John describe God looking human-like features. But, I do agree. Angels do hide their faces, body, and feet in his presence. I wouldn't be surprised. Also when we be in his presence, we'll be face-down on the ground. Thanks for the reply. c:  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 pm
Women are also made in His image.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm
Naruverse
Aquatic_blue

Ah...But aren't we made in His image? Also in Revelations, John describe God looking human-like features. But, I do agree. Angels do hide their faces, body, and feet in his presence. I wouldn't be surprised. Also when we be in his presence, we'll be face-down on the ground. Thanks for the reply. c:

Yes, we are made in His image, but that does not make God a human being - this means that God made us how He had envisioned us, and we are of value in God's eyes.

Quote:
Also in Revelations, John describe God looking human-like features.

Where may I find this Bible verse so that I can look it up?

Quote:
Angels do hide their faces, body, and feet in his presence.

I think here you're talking about Isaiah 6:2. Although it doesn't specify what the angels were covering their faces from or why - I wouldn't think they are exactly "hiding" from God, but to present themselves as humble and lowly before the Lord. But once again, it does not specify exactly why they had done this in that particular verse.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:52 pm
Aquatic_blue
Naruverse
Aquatic_blue

Yes, we are made in His image, but that does not make God a human being - this means that God made us how He had envisioned us, and we are of value in God's eyes.

Quote:

Quote:

I think here you're talking about Isaiah 6:2. Although it doesn't specify what the angels were covering their faces from or why - I wouldn't think they are exactly "hiding" from God, but to present themselves as humble and lowly before the Lord. But once again, it does not specify exactly why they had done this in that particular verse.

Revelation 1:12-16
12 I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man,[d] dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14 The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15 His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.  

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm
Naruverse
Aquatic_blue
Naruverse
Aquatic_blue

Quote:

Quote:

12 I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man,[d] dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14 The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15 His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

In the surrounding context, as well as the context of Revelation 1:12 - 16 in the middle, John is talking about his vision of Christ. God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit are still in high authority above us no matter what.

Some people say the qualities have a specific meaning in this vision: Such as perhaps the robe and golden sash as dress of a high priest, the white hair as a symbol of wisdom and/or age, the eyes like a blazing fire as being able to read every heart and see everything, feet like bronze could have been strength and stability or trampling over foes, voice like rushing waters as inspiring or awe-striking, holding seven stars as possibility showing he's an authority, double-edged sword as the word of truth, and face like the sun as in the transfiguration of Jesus Christ (Matthew 17:1 - 9). <--- To me, this is personally a good explanation if it is going off of symbolism to explain what Jesus Christ is like, especially since humans understand what we mean when we refer to someone's face, dress, voice, hands, feet, and speech.

However, I cannot say why 100% why there are human characteristics in Revelation 1:9 - 20. It's definitely a good topic of study, and perhaps it's even something we may not fully grasp completely.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 pm
Aquatic_blue
Naruverse
Aquatic_blue
Naruverse
Aquatic_blue

Quote:

Quote:

In the surrounding context, as well as the context of Revelation 1:12 - 16 in the middle, John is talking about his vision of Christ. God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit are still in high authority above us no matter what.

Some people say the qualities have a specific meaning in this vision: Such as perhaps the robe and golden sash as dress of a high priest, the white hair as a symbol of wisdom and/or age, the eyes like a blazing fire as being able to read every heart and see everything, feet like bronze could have been strength and stability or trampling over foes, voice like rushing waters as inspiring or awe-striking, holding seven stars as possibility showing he's an authority, double-edged sword as the word of truth, and face like the sun as in the transfiguration of Jesus Christ (Matthew 17:1 - 9). <--- To me, this is personally a good explanation if it is going off of symbolism to explain what Jesus Christ is like, especially since humans understand what we mean when we refer to someone's face, dress, voice, hands, feet, and speech.

However, I cannot say why 100% why there are human characteristics in Revelation 1:9 - 20. It's definitely a good topic of study, and perhaps it's even something we may not fully grasp completely.

Well spoken..I wish tipping in guilds were allowed.  

Masrur Fanalis

Distinct Seeker

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces