When chatting with atheists, especially internet atheists, the talking snake of Genesis is usually brought up. Here is the Biblical passage that inspires the non-believers:

Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?” The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; 3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’” The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” (Genesis 3:1-5)

The sole intention of the infidel is to show the absurdity of the idea of a snake who talked. Namely, snakes don't talk! Because a talking snake would be a miraculous occurrence, this is an argument against miracles. Another characteristic—flawed reasoning.

With the Existence of the Supernatural, Supernatural things are Possible

Personification is a literary element in which human characteristics are given to non-human beings. With our mind, we can conceptually create a talking serpent. But we can't create a snake who has the ability of speaking. We can conceive of humans, but we cannot create them in the same sense relating to God, who can just get some dust and make a human. We cannot use anything but reproduction to make a human.

Now, imagine God, who is infinitely powerful. We can think of humans; He can make them. We can think of speaking vermin; a Supernatural God could make one. If God exists, miracles are possible. An all-powerful God could easily do the extraordinary.

But hold up—God didn't make a snake talk; according to Genesis 3, the devil did. I agree, and I'm not endorsing otherwise. I was only stating that miracles are possible if theism is correct. But now let's think about Satan; he is an angel, a superhuman being. Now, if Satan possesses some supernatural power, he could do supernatural things—such as making a snake talk—as well. It's not impossible if supernatural beings exist.

If God can create a universe out of nothing, than surely He could perform miracles. And if a supernatural spirit, Satan, exists, than it would be a piece of cake possessing a serpent.

This Objection Presupposes Naturalism

When the atheist scoffs at the talking snake and asserts it impossible, he or she is presupposing that atheism is true, and thus, miracles are not possible. I agree that snakes cannot talk....if naturalism is true. The objection assumes a view that says snakes can't talk is true, and therefore, snakes can't talked.

Conclusion

The atheist, when they use this argument, is just rambling and is presupposing a naturalistic worldview as correct. Miracles are an easy feat if God exists, and, it follows logically, that if the Bible is true, there is no flaw in a talking snake.

“Miracles do not, in fact, break the laws of nature.”

—C.S. Lewis