Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Do I have to Give up sin to be saved? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Girl With The Windex Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:43 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=1186599

I read this article and agree that you are still saved even when you fall into sin from time to time. We never stop sinning. To become a Christian you must repent and confess that you know that you are a sinner and the sins you have done are wrong. Yes, it is wrong to sin, but it can be hard for humans not to. I am not condoning sin, but I don't believe if someone is not living a perfect life (who really does?) that won't condemn them to hell if they believe in God. If I am wrong then let me know.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:10 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=1186599

I read this article and agree that you are still saved even when you fall into sin from time to time. We never stop sinning. To become a Christian you must repent and confess that you know that you are a sinner and the sins you have done are wrong. Yes, it is wrong to sin, but it can be hard for humans not to. I am not condoning sin, but I don't believe if someone is not living a perfect life (who really does?) that won't condemn them to hell if they believe in God. If I am wrong then let me know.

Yeah, sister. We repent everyday of our lives, constant turning away from small to large sins. Keeping the Blessed Hope of Jesus Christ in mind and conviction of our sins in heart, we stay steady in stride with HIm and Him alone.  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:18 pm
The usual idea is to live the best life you possibly can and try to avoid sin as much as possible. You shouldn't be so paranoid about sinning that you're unable to function, though; just do your best and God will quite willingly forgive the times you don't manage to be perfect. ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:40 am
Yes, the truth is that everyone will sin. We all make sinful mistakes and that is what we have God for - to forgive us. Through God's grace, He makes us clean and blameless before Him.

However, God did not throw us out into this world alone. God is not sitting idle while we at times fall into sin because he has given us a weapon to combat temptation. We can overcome all temptation by testing the spirit, turning away from temptation when it shows up, and as far as spiritual warfare is concerned - God gave us the armor to face it and conquer it head on.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Hero just hero

Dangerous Informer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:19 am
This should help.

"If you depend on your own ways and your own self and think your are sinless, you are a liar. If you confess you are a sinner and do not allow God to be your strength and you use your strength to fight, you will lose. If you trust in God with all your life and spirit, and let his strength be yours, you are perfect in his ways. You cannot be perfect in yourself for you will fall into sin and temptation. If you have his heart, how can you ever sin? You can't. God is in you as he guides you. Not by the bible, but by the real God". -David Wilkerson

" God creates different kinds of test for different kinds of people. We all have our troubles and test that would lead us to sin. But God does not give you a hard to handle one. It will always be conquered. But it has to be in his strength". - Klove radio

"To please God, one must never sin. But how? It when you give your life away to God. How? Don't watch tv if it causes your sins. Dont play games if it causes you sin. Don't let emotions get in your way if it makes you sin. These are difficult to do however. So How? Anguish... God's greatest gift. How do you get it? Ask. Its free! But when you get it, will you ask for it to be removed? Yeah... you cant handle it..." - christiankid: a guide to never sinning in this world

It is never easy to never sin. So God gave us Christ, his son =] so if you fall, repent and try again. I am not perfect. I am a sinner. But i am like david, always returning to God after my sins.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 am
I couldn't agree more with everyone.

It is true that God will forgive even our sins in the future. But remember the main point: this gracious grace that keeps on forgiving our sins is not there so that we can keep sinning!

Our response should be:
Because we love Him, we will do our best to fight sin/temptation with the Godly sword & armor. He will never give any temptation harder than we can bear [Cor 10:13].

Q: Do I have to Give up sin to be saved?
A: Yes. Despite no matter time we fail, we need to give up sin as we can not serve two masters
Matt 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other."
Romans 6:23-For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I found this Bible chapter answer your question perfectly!

Quote:

Romans 6:1-14
Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ

1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with,that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 am
To give up sin is to know we will sin but we wont stay in sin or look for sin. Yes, we will sin, this much is clear, even God knows we will because we are human. But we cannot be saved if we dont give up sin. God hates sin, and if we are to be Christians and follow God we are to give up sin.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 am
I am the one that doesn't agree with the "Once saved, Always saved" theology, but I agree with you. We do sin from time to time. We do fall into temptations and stumble along the path. We are at war with the flesh, the world, and the devil.

But there is a verse that is a absolute favorite of mine. In Colossians 1:22 - 23 says "In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister."

If we continue in the faith, we would be blameless and unreproveable in God's sight. What a blessed thought. If we are saved and continue in faith, we are like to Him that we never sinned. All of our sins have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus Christ. (1 John 1:9).

But I did hear of a preacher that says something really profound. "The Christian life is not about perfection, it is about direction and affection." If we fall in sin, we need to pick ourselves by our bootstraps and repent and move on.

But I know of some that fall into sin and stayed into sin. One of my co-workers is usually depressed and stays in that depression for weeks and weeks on end. I said that if we are in Christ, we have joy from the fruit of the Spirit. We have joy, knowing that our sins are forgiven, we have peace with the Lord, and we know that we go to Heaven when we die. He claims that even I fall into depression as well. I do admit that. A few times I do. But I just repent and move on, as the Lord gives me joy. It is not about perfection, but it is about direction.  

Biblical_Counselor

Souijji

Lonely Mage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:57 am
Everyone slips on occasion, it's human nature to do so. The key is to learn from your mistakes and try your hardest to not fall into the same trap again.

My grandfather said to aim for the stars and you'll go far, but if you aim for the ground you'll never reach your potential.

Your walk with God is the same way. If you only aim to be above those around you then you'll never live up to what you could be. Try to be as perfect as God and you'll stretch yourself further. Yes you will fail and fall into sin occasionally, but that doesn't mean you have to stay there.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm
John's epistle summarizes it well:

Quote:
1 John 2:1 (NIV)

1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

And Paul:

Quote:
Romans 7:25 (KJV)

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

You shouldn't want to sin, but if you happen to do so because of your flesh, you have Jesus who will advocate on your behalf. As 1 John 2 continues to say, he is our atoning sacrifice and a person who belongs to Jesus has a heart to obey now. Cherishing sin, esteeming things that contradict God, is just not a characteristic of someone who is truly saved, especially the more you grow in the knowledge of God.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 pm
I agree with all of you and its nice to hear the same things from other people. Sorry it took me so long to respond..guess Gaia finally let me know I had replied, though I should have checked myself. Thanks for your answers!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm
I agree with all of you and its nice to hear the same things from other people. Sorry it took me so long to respond..guess Gaia finally let me know I had replied, though I should have checked myself. Thanks for your answers!

It's great that you found an answer to your question. Another thing I'd like to add though, is that it's not possible to give up sin on our own willpower, in the same way that outwardly trying to follow the Ten Commandments won't save us. Otherwise, it would be of works; however, true repentance leads a person to come to realize their own fallen nature, understand they have no power to overcome it in their strength, and turn 180 degrees to Jesus for restoration of their soul. The only way we can give up sin is:

1) If we're willing to do so, or have a willing mind;

and

2) When God grants us the Holy Spirit at the point of our salvation, as well as increases the Spirit's influence over our lives during the course of our Christian walk.

There are many false teachings that basically say, "Give up sin FIRST, then come to Jesus," but the scripture clearly says that we are dead in our trespasses and sins, and have no ability to do it on our own. Only by a heart willing to give up sin, and by confessing to God that we need Him, are we able to have power to overcome. Rather, come to Jesus FIRST, asking for forgiveness, confessing your sin, and THEN you will be victorious.

Of course, this does not mean that we will never sin again. It just means that God changes our desires so that we don't want to sin, and even when we do sin, we are broken over it, and come to Him for restoration.

Hope this helps.  

Chxsa

Bright Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:45 pm
Punyun

It's great that you found an answer to your question. Another thing I'd like to add though, is that it's not possible to give up sin on our own willpower, in the same way that outwardly trying to follow the Ten Commandments won't save us. Otherwise, it would be of works; however, true repentance leads a person to come to realize their own fallen nature, understand they have no power to overcome it in their strength, and turn 180 degrees to Jesus for restoration of their soul. The only way we can give up sin is:

1) If we're willing to do so, or have a willing mind;

and

2) When God grants us the Holy Spirit at the point of our salvation, as well as increases the Spirit's influence over our lives during the course of our Christian walk.

There are many false teachings that basically say, "Give up sin FIRST, then come to Jesus," but the scripture clearly says that we are dead in our trespasses and sins, and have no ability to do it on our own. Only by a heart willing to give up sin, and by confessing to God that we need Him, are we able to have power to overcome. Rather, come to Jesus FIRST, asking for forgiveness, confessing your sin, and THEN you will be victorious.

Of course, this does not mean that we will never sin again. It just means that God changes our desires so that we don't want to sin, and even when we do sin, we are broken over it, and come to Him for restoration.

Hope this helps.

It does! Thanks!!! ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:19 pm
It is written in the Bible that once you are saved you are always saved. So if you do repent and accept God's gift of salvation, you can be sure that you're not going to "fall out" of salvation. We can't earn salvation with our works, so how can these same works take it away?
However, it is in a way an obligation to live a righteous life. If you get "saved" and keep on sinning consciously, you might want to think if you truly did repent in the first place. While we don't have to do anything for our salvation, we definitely should not keep striving to live in sin. We are to express God's love through ourselves, hence our names: Christians (Christ-like or Little Christs). Like it says in Matthew 5:15 - Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
As a whole we should express our gratitude to God by rejecting sin and instead doing His work. Sure we will at times fall short, but God's Word is there to help us get back up.
(Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this and I really wanted to toss my 2 cents in)  

jfujii

Hygienic Millionaire

7,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Marathon 300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:06 pm
jfujii
It is written in the Bible that once you are saved you are always saved. So if you do repent and accept God's gift of salvation, you can be sure that you're not going to "fall out" of salvation. We can't earn salvation with our works, so how can these same works take it away?
However, it is in a way an obligation to live a righteous life. If you get "saved" and keep on sinning consciously, you might want to think if you truly did repent in the first place. While we don't have to do anything for our salvation, we definitely should not keep striving to live in sin. We are to express God's love through ourselves, hence our names: Christians (Christ-like or Little Christs). Like it says in Matthew 5:15 - Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
As a whole we should express our gratitude to God by rejecting sin and instead doing His work. Sure we will at times fall short, but God's Word is there to help us get back up.
(Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this and I really wanted to toss my 2 cents in)

Thanks and I agree with everything you said! ^_^  
Questions & Answers

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces