Reply I'm Turning Japa- Wait What? [[The Anime/Cosplay/Manga Forum]]
Last Minute Gengar Cosplay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SharpenedMoonlight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:49 pm
I'm preparing to go to a convention soon. I wasn't going to make a cosplay because I'm a little overweight and I'm still trying to lose weight, so a costume wouldn't look too good. But then someone jokking said I should do Gengar, and I said THAT'S IT. Gengar is really a round pudge ball, but yet still really awesome.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
And best of all, it's not too complex of a Pokemon. Which is good, because this is kinda a last minute project, since I wasn't planning on doing a cosplay. I was thinking of going along the lines of this:
User Image
But with the cloak/shawl of this:
User Image
What do you think? Tips? Ideas?
Questions: The eyes. I don't currently own red contacts, and like I said this is a last minute project so I don't have time to order some. I had a friend suggest red glasses, but I'm not sure if that would look awesome or stupid.
Also, Gengar's ears/head spikes. I'm gonna probably spray my hair purple because it's about the right length and I've had a lot of trouble with wigs in the past, and this is last minute. Should I ignore the ears or how should I make them? Like the size of cat ears?
Thank you for your input.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 am
SharpenedMoonlight

How long is your hair?

And I really do like the cloak idea.
If you have longer hair, though, I would try to go find some extra strength hair gel
I recommend
1) got2b glued (By Schwarzkopf) - it comes in a variety of colored tubes, get the strongest hold you can find
2) Cp Cristopher professional texturizing fiber paste - gray round container with a red cap
3) Softee Super Freeze clean and clear Protein styling gel - clear cylinder container with a black cap

this is stuff I have around my house from when my brother had a mohawk that was impossible to stand up.
Now I need to wash the hair gel off my laptop that stuck to my hands.  

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

SharpenedMoonlight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am
Darkness Dragons Revenge
[
How long is your hair?

I don't think it's long enough. (My little brother has got2b glued and that does work well)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:08 am
SharpenedMoonlight
Darkness Dragons Revenge
[
How long is your hair?

I don't think it's long enough. (My little brother has got2b glued and that does work well)

One thing that may work, if you're going for the spikes in the lower picture, is if you find colored extensions and try to braid them around a wire. Get another layer of extensions and cover the braid so none of the braid is visible. (sorry if that is confusing). You would need the braid so it's thicker and poseable. Make two of them and attach them to a wire headband and dye and spike the rest of your hair.  

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

SharpenedMoonlight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:56 pm
Darkness Dragons Revenge

I...understand to some degree what you mean. Wouldn't the extensions be too heavy and fall out?

Also my friend just thought of something great. I should wear a pink Snuggie-like top with Ditto's face. Then I will take off the top and BAM, I've transformed into Gengar.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:52 pm
Red glasses wouldn't look dumb. o_o I mean...the homestuck cosplay people use them all the time and they work (I've see a bajillion of them at the con I just went to...)

Also, if you do ever consider continually going with this cosplay Here is a site for red contacts. (Shipping take forever hence why I said if you carry on with the cosplay...)

They have several styles so look around.

For the ears...I would get some white faux fur and use the hair stuff on it ooooor maybe just get some purple felt since gengar doesn't have a lot of...fur?  

ZeldacatVampire

Wheezing Bloodsucker

17,625 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 am
SharpenedMoonlight
Darkness Dragons Revenge

I...understand to some degree what you mean. Wouldn't the extensions be too heavy and fall out?

Also my friend just thought of something great. I should wear a pink Snuggie-like top with Ditto's face. Then I will take off the top and BAM, I've transformed into Gengar.

If they're attached to a thick wire, the braid should hold them up. You need to attach the extensions to a headband or something, but I suggest going with Zeldacat's idea of faux fur.  
I'm Turning Japa- Wait What? [[The Anime/Cosplay/Manga Forum]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games