Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fourth Year Classes
Divination II (Lesson 1 ~ 2038) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:55 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          ╔═══════════════════════════════╗
                                                          𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓵𝒆
                                                          Looking Distracted in her Classroom with her Fourth Years
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Focused
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ Little ducklings, all in a row. ❞
                                                          ╚═══════════════════════════════╝

𝒜 𝓃 𝒹 𝒾 𝓃 𝓂 𝓎 𝓂 𝒾 𝓃 𝒹 ✥ ✥ ✥xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          𝐼 𝒾 𝓂 𝒶 𝑔 𝒾 𝓃 𝑒 𝓈𝑜 𝓂 𝒶 𝓃 𝓎 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 ✥ ✥ ✥xxxxxxxxx
                                                          𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒶 𝓇 𝑒 𝓃 ' 𝓉 𝓇 𝑒 𝒶 𝓁 𝓁 𝓎 𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓅𝑒𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔 ✥ ✥ ✥xxxxxx
                                                          𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓌𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝓅𝓊𝓉 𝓂𝑒 𝒾 𝓃 𝓉 𝒽 𝑒 𝑔 𝓇 𝑜 𝓊 𝓃 𝒹 ✥ ✥ ✥xxx
                                                          ═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceDrusilla entered the classroom in a daze. She was quite late, she was certain of it. Where did the time go? She'd been so caught up in her cards and runes that she'd completely lost track of it... or perhaps she'd simply stared off into space for a couple of hours. Both were equally possible, after all... except that when she arrived in the classroom and checked the clock, she was actually on time. She frowned; the clock in her office must be wrong, then. She'd have to fix it... if she remembered. Which she probably wouldn't, of course. She blinked a moment, then smiled at her students, her arms sweeping open in a grand gesture. "Hello, my little ducks, and welcome to Divination. I am Professor Somerset. Now then, in this class, you will need to have an open mind, open eyes, and patience. Divination is a powerful art, but difficult. Also, there will be no disrespecting of my craft, or of the abilities of fellow students... now then! With that unpleasantness out of the way, we can begin."

spaceShe paused long enough to let the students absorb her words, and long enough to get just a tad distracted... what was she looking at, though? She scowled for a moment, shoved the visions away, and smiled widely again at her students before launching into the lecture. "Divining the future through Dreams is one of the oldest arts known to man, both of the Magical and Muggle variety. It is also one of the most difficult to master, for each person has their own rhyme and reason to their dreams. It is one of the reasons why, particularly among Muggle fortune tellers, understanding and interpreting the signals in the dreams of another can prove difficult. Symbols, aside from a few, ancient, archaic ones which resonate with almost all people, may mean different things from different people. A Slytherin, for instance, might dream of a snake, a symbol of ambition or power or confidence. However, that same snake in the dreams of say, a Christian Muggle, might represent greed, corruption, or danger. Because of these differences in the way we view the world, and the things that might appear to us in our dreams, it is really only an individual who can make a real prediction of what their dream might be telling them." She stopped then, curious. She had, of course, seen this play out, but in different ways each time... how would it happen then?

spaceThe Seer's eyes glazed, and she shifted a bit, her head tilting in an odd manner, rather like a bird's, her eyes unblinking and unseeing. After a moment, she gave her head a light shake, and smiled again. "Where was I? Oh, yes. Dreams. Well, then. Let's talk about dreams, why don't we? Tell me, What are some common symbols in dreams, and what might those symbols represent? What is an example of a symbol that might mean something vastly different to different groups of people?" She waited patiently, eager to hear what her students had to say. It would tell her much about them... but didn't she already know? Sometimes she forgot...

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          xxx✥ ✥ ✥ 𝐼'𝓁𝓁 𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝓅 𝑜 𝓊 𝓃 𝒹 𝒾 𝓃 𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁 𝒾 𝒹
                                                          xxxxxx✥ ✥ ✥ 𝒮𝒶𝓎𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝐼 𝒽 𝒶 𝓋 𝑒 𝓃 ' 𝓉 𝒻 𝒾 𝓃 𝒾 𝓈 𝒽 𝑒 𝒹 𝓎𝑒𝓉
                                                          xxxxxxxxx✥ ✥ ✥ 𝐼 𝓈𝓉𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶 𝓉 𝒶 𝓉 𝓉 𝑜 𝑜 𝓉𝑜 𝑔 𝑒 𝓉
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxx✥ ✥ ✥ 𝒯𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓈𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝐼'𝓂 𝓁 𝒾 𝓋 𝒾 𝓃 𝑔 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓂 𝑜 𝓂 𝑒 𝓃 𝓉

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:39 pm
Tell me about the old days,
Another night at the Copper Coin

User Image

User Image

Fourth year ║ Ravenclaw ║ Chaser ║ Half-blood

Dylan walked into Divination and took a seat, still not sure on what he thought of this class. The professor was nice enough, if a bit strange.. but the subject matter was just.. he couldn't even pin a word to it. It was hard to understand. But he felt that you really couldn't fully understand something like this. All that thinking was distracting him, though, so he decided to just give an answer. "Well, sometimes when we dream of falling it can symbolize our lives spiraling out of control."

OOC:

Quote:

Tell me about the old days,
Put the sun into the sea.

Deviled Dregs

Wealthy Lunatic

7,375 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:01 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxDivination Classroom
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxThird Year Students
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx» ғeelιng «xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHappy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

αи∂ ιи м у м ι и ∂ , ιи тнє fαяαωαу н є я є αи∂ и σ ω xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ι'νє вє¢σмє ι и ¢ σ и т я σ ℓ ѕσмєнσω xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          αи∂ ι и є ν є я ℓσѕє му ω α ℓ ℓ є т xxxxxxxxx
                                                          вє¢αυѕє ι ωιℓℓ вє тнє ρ ι ¢ т υ я є σf ∂ ι ѕ ¢ ι ρ ℓ ι и є xxxxxx
                                                          иєνєя f υ ¢ к ι и g υρ α и у т н ι и g xxx

════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceDrusilla sat behind her desk, staring forward, waiting. She watched the clock on the opposite wall, her head bobbing back and forth, left and right, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick tock... her students should be arriving any minute now. As they filed in she sat up straight and gave a smile, her eyes bright. Today's lesson should be easy, particularly compared to some of the others. "Hello, duckies, today's lesson is on Astrology, which I'm sure you're all at least a little familiar with, yes? It is the method of using the stars to divine the future. Now, there are several schools of thought on how to do this, of course. You can read about each of them on the board, and in more detail in your books. For now, though, I'd like you each to tell me what your Astrological sign is," she inquired with a smile. "As I'm sure you all know, your sign is supposed to tell a lot about you. It can be used to predict your future, or even to tell things about your personality. So, we'll go around the room and share our signs, and then you can tell me what, if anything, you know about your sign, using any of the zodiacs." She tapped her fingers on her desk, curious. What would she learn about each of them today? It could be interesting, to say the least.

space"I suppose I should start off, yes? My birthday is January 12, which makes me a Capricorn in the Western practice. I've never really found that I fit very well into the general traits associated with my sign, such as ambitious and responsible. However, they are also known for loyalty, which I do value highly, and patience. I find that I must be very patient, given how patient others have to be with me. It's only fair, after all. My approach to friendship is the one area in which I match my sign quite well; I am loyal and would do whatever I needed to in order to help someone I cared about in need... Hm. So, how about you? Does anyone wish to share? Have any questions?" She was quite curious, not just about their signs, but about how well they might match up with them. She'd never thought of herself as suiting her own very well. Sometimes, though, people's signs were almost uncannily well suited. That was always quite interesting to see.

╚════════════════════════════════════════════

xxx αи∂ ιи м у м ι и ∂ , ι ιмαgιиє ѕ σ м α и у т н ι и g ѕ
                                                          xxxxxx тнιиgѕ тнαт α я є и ' т яєαℓℓу н α ρ ρ є и ι и g
                                                          xxxxxxxxx αи∂ ωнєи тнєу ρ υ т мє ι и т н є g я σ υ и ∂
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxx ι'ℓℓ ѕтαят ρ σ υ и ∂ ι и g тнє ℓ ι ∂
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ѕαуιиg ι н α ν є и ' т f ι и ι ѕ н є ∂ уєт

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx
                                                          Please do not quote for replies!
                                                          Questions will be answered later in the week, or when the lesson closes.

Divination Notes
Lesson 1 : Astrology

User Image

The Definition of Astrology:
              Astrology comprises several systems of divination based on the premise that there is a relationship between astronomical phenomena and events in the human world.

Western Astrology
              • Western astrology is a form of divination based on the construction of a horoscope for an exact moment, such as a person's birth. It uses the tropical zodiac, which is aligned to the equinoctial points.
              • Western astrology is founded on the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies such as the Sun, Moon and planets, which are analyzed by their movement through signs of the zodiac (twelve spatial divisions of the ecliptic) and by their aspects (based on geometric angles) relative to one another. They are also considered by their placement in houses (twelve spatial divisions of the sky). Astrology's modern representation in western popular media is usually reduced to sun sign astrology, which considers only the zodiac sign of the Sun at an individual's date of birth, and represents only 1/12 of the total chart.
              • The horoscope visually expresses the set of relationships for the time and place of the chosen event. These relationships are between the seven 'planets', signifying tendencies such as war and love; the twelve signs of the zodiac; and the twelve houses. Each planet is in a particular sign and a particular house at the chosen time, when observed from the chosen place, creating two kinds of relationship. A third kind is the aspect of each planet to every other planet, where for example two planets 120° apart (in 'trine') are in a harmonious relationship, but two planets 90° apart ('square') are in a conflicted relationship. Together these relationships and their interpretations supposedly form "...the language of the heavens speaking to learned men."

Hindu Astrology:
              • The earliest Vedic text on astronomy is the Vedanga Jyotisha; Vedic thought later came to include astrology as well.
              • Hindu natal astrology originated with Hellenistic astrology by the 3rd century BCE, though incorporating the Hindu lunar mansions. The names of the signs (e.g. Greek 'Kpios' for Aries, Hindi 'Kriya'), the planets (e.g. Greek 'Helios' for Sun, astrological Hindi 'Heli'), and astrological terms (e.g. Greek 'apoklima' and 'sunaphe' for declination and planetary conjunction, Hindi 'apoklima' and 'sunapha' respectively) in Varaha Mihira's texts are considered conclusive evidence of a Greek origin for Hindu astrology. The Indian techniques may also have been augmented with some of the Babylonian techniques.

Chinese and East-Asian Astrology:
              • Chinese astrology has a close relation with Chinese philosophy (theory of the three harmonies: heaven, earth and man) and uses concepts such as yin and yang, the Five phases, the 10 Celestial stems, the 12 Earthly Branches, and shichen (時辰 a form of timekeeping used for religious purposes). The early use of Chinese astrology was mainly confined to political astrology, the observation of unusual phenomena, identification of portents and the selection of auspicious days for events and decisions.
              • The constellations of the Zodiac of western Asia and Europe were not used; instead the sky is divided into Three Enclosures (三垣 sān yuán), and Twenty-eight Mansions (二十八宿 èrshíbā xiù) in twelve Ci (十二次).[88] The Chinese zodiac of twelve animal signs is said to represent twelve different types of personality. It is based on cycles of years, lunar months, and two-hour periods of the day (the shichen). The zodiac traditionally begins with the sign of the Rat, and the cycle proceeds through 11 other animals signs: the Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig.[89] Complex systems of predicting fate and destiny based on one's birthday, birth season, and birth hours, such as ziping and Zi Wei Dou Shu (simplified Chinese: 紫微斗数; traditional Chinese: 紫微斗數; pinyin: zǐwēidǒushù) are still used regularly in modern day Chinese astrology. They do not rely on direct observations of the stars.
              • The Korean zodiac is identical to the Chinese one. The Vietnamese zodiac is almost identical to Chinese zodiac except the second animal is the Water Buffalo instead of the Ox, and the fourth animal is the Cat instead of the Rabbit. The Japanese have since 1873 celebrated the beginning of the new year on 1 January as per the Gregorian Calendar. The Thai zodiac begins, not at Chinese New Year, but either on the first day of fifth month in the Thai lunar calendar, or during the Songkran festival (now celebrated every 13–15 April), depending on the purpose of the use.

Homework: Write a short essay about your own astrological sign, using any of the zodiac systems learned about in class.

xxxx× × ×xxxxSTUDENTSxxxx× × ×xxxx
This is a core class, meaning all fourth year students are required to attend.
Any student who fails to post at least once this year will have their house docked ten points at the end of the term.
Exceptions can be made provided you contact Cara MiaKitty and are able to provide a reasonable excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:15 pm
User Image

User Image
                                            ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tori sat in Divinations class, writing down the notes on the board. This class was always difficult for her. She didn't think she would be able to pass the OWL for this one, but while she was here, she would try her best. Flipping through her textbook, she searched for the chapters on astrology. One would think a girl like Tori would know everything about their astrological sign from reading horoscopes in magazines, but she wasn't really in to all of that. She didn't need the stars-- or some magazine writer-- to tell her how to act and think. Regardless of that, from what she was reading in her textbook, she was practically the poster child for a Leo. How convenient for her. "Well, my birthday is August 5th, which means I'm a Leo, and this says that a Leo can easily lift someone's spirits and encourage them when times get rough. I think that's true to say about me. It also says that Leos are very independent, but still require something to control or someone to admire them... which is also true about me," Tori blushed, grinning sheepishly. She didn't like to admit it, but she did enjoy having someone give her attention. She craved it sometimes. With her answer given, Tori set to work on her homework. Might as well get it done while she had a little time, right? She took out a piece of paper and got started.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PUREBLOOD GRYFFINDOR FORTH YEARxxx

I wear a disguise. I'm just your average Jane. The super doesn't stand for model, but that doesn't mean I'm plain.
                                            If all you see is how I look, you miss the superchick within. And I christen you titanic, underestimate and swim.
                                            I've got the rifle gonna be myself. I'll be everything that I want to be! I am confidence in insecurity.
                                            I am a voice yet waiting to be heard. I'll shoot the shot, bang, that you hear round the world. I'm a one girl revolution.

The Shiny Furret

Merry Muse

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:32 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓵𝒆
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Cheerful
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ It's lovely to get into the meat of the subject. ❞

spaceDrusilla entered the classroom in a daze. She was quite late, she was certain of it. Where did the time go? She'd been so caught up in her cards and runes that she'd completely lost track of it... or perhaps she'd simply stared off into space for a couple of hours. Both were equally possible, after all... except that when she arrived in the classroom and checked the clock, she was actually on time. She frowned; the clock in her office must be wrong, then. She'd have to fix it... if she remembered. Which she probably wouldn't, of course. She blinked a moment, then smiled at her students, her arms sweeping open in a grand gesture. "Hello, my little ducks, and welcome to Divination. I am Professor Somerset. Now then, in this class, you will need to have an open mind, open eyes, and patience. Divination is a powerful art, but difficult. Also, there will be no disrespecting of my craft, or of the abilities of fellow students... now then! With that unpleasantness out of the way, we can begin."

spaceDrusilla had placed candles out on the four tables at the front of the class, ready for the lesson at hand. She couldn't help but wonder if any of the students taking this lesson had the aptitude to See anything in the flame and smoke. She waited for the students to arrive, and then smiled, her arms opening in a welcoming gesture. This lesson was a true test, not just to whether or not a student could See, but also if they took the lesson seriously. "I'd like you all to read the notes on the board, and preferably write them down as well. Then, I will guide you through a meditative exercise to clear your mind, after which you will each gaze into the lit candle on your desk and take note of what you see, if anything." She sat on her desk, crossing her legs in a relaxed seated position, and waited patiently. When the quills had stopped and the eyes were on her, she smiled.

"Alright, now, I'd like you all to sit in your seat like so, or on the floor, if you like. Take a deep breathe through your nose, filling your lungs until you can take in no more air, and then slowly release the air through your mouth. Do this again, and again, relaxing your mind and body. Clear your mind of any images, any thoughts. Calm yourself, center your being. When you feel you are relaxed, a blank slate, open your eyes, gaze into the flame, and See." She watched carefully, eyeing their expressions. Waiting to see if anyone would truly See anything.

User Image

Students posted Wednesday or later will be considered late.

Divination Notes
Lesson 2 : Fire Omens

User Image

The Definition of Pyromancy:
              Pyromancy (from Greek pyros, “fire,” and manteia, “divination”), or Fire Gazing, is the art of divination by means of fire.

The History of Pyromancy:
              • Due to the importance of fire in society from the earliest of times, it is quite likely that pyromancy was one of the earlier forms of divination. It is said that in Greek society, virgins at the Temple of Athena in Athens regularly practiced pyromancy. It is also possible that followers of Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire and the forge, practiced pyromancy.
              • In Renaissance magic, pyromancy was classified as one of the seven "forbidden arts," along with necromancy, geomancy, aeromancy, hydromancy, chiromancy (palmistry), and spatulamancy (scapulimancy).

Forms of Pyromancy:
              The most basic form of pyromancy is that in which the diviner observes flames, from a sacrificial fire, a candle, or another source of flame, and interprets the shapes that he or she sees within them. There are several variations on pyromancy, however, some of which are as follows:
              • Alomancy, divination by salt, one type of which involves casting salt into a fire
              • Botanomancy, divination by burning plants
              • Capnomancy, divination by smoke; light, thin smoke that rose straight up was a good omen; otherwise, a bad one.
              • Causinomancy, divination by burning (non-specific as to the object burned)
              • Daphnomancy (also, Empyromancy), divination by burning laurel leaves
              • Osteomancy, divination using bones, one type of which involves heating to produce cracks
              • Plastromancy, divination using turtle plastrons; in China, this was done by heating pits carved into them.
              • Scapulimancy, divination by scapulae; in Asia and North America, this was done pyromantically.
              • Sideromancy, divination by burning straw with an iron (Greek:Sideros)

Interpreting Pyromancy:
              • Many of the methods of interpretation can be taken from what was learned when we studied Dream Divination.
              • It is important to note that, for all but the most experienced or attuned Seers, what is seen in the fire is seldom meant to be taken literally.
              • If one is properly attuned to the forces and to their own Sight, they may see a pure, unobstructed vision or what is to come.
              • However, most will only see symbols.
              • Details like emotions are hard to place and generally require another detail to throw the meaning into the light.
              • Details like themes can be very telling, but are very much open to interpretation.
              • Details like objects are usually tied to some sort of symbolism; how they are presented, or not presented in the example of the missing pants, is more important than the object itself.
              • People are a very interesting thing to note; their presence can mean many things. Just because a person is in your dream doesn't mean that they'll be present when the events being foretold take place, which is the general belief. Rather, it can mean that you would want them there, or that they represent something you will need. The presence of a brave friend can be because you'll need your courage; a wise friend could mean you'll need wisdom.

Homework: Spend some time Fire Gazing and attempt to interpret what you see. Make a record of it, and attempt to interpret anything of note.

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. Exceptions can be made provided you contact Cara MiaKitty and are able to provide a reasonable excuse.

Miss GryffindorK
Lyall Thompson

Devlyn Maycry
Micah Yaxley

The Shiny Furret
Victoria Macclellan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:16 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          ➸ 𝓚𝓸𝓵𝓽𝓸𝓷 𝓥𝓲𝓷𝒆𝓻 ➸
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Cheerful
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ It's lovely to get into the meat of the subject. ❞

spaceDrusilla sat behind her desk, staring forward, waiting. She watched the clock on the opposite wall, her head bobbing back and forth, left and right, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick tock... her students should be arriving any minute now. As they filed in she sat up straight and gave a smile, her eyes bright. Today's lesson should be easy, particularly compared to some of the others. "Hello, duckies, today's lesson is on Astrology, which I'm sure you're all at least a little familiar with, yes? It is the method of using the stars to divine the future. Now, there are several schools of thought on how to do this, of course. You can read about each of them on the board, and in more detail in your books. For now, though, I'd like you each to tell me what your Astrological sign is," she inquired with a smile. "As I'm sure you all know, your sign is supposed to tell a lot about you. It can be used to predict your future, or even to tell things about your personality. So, we'll go around the room and share our signs, and then you can tell me what, if anything, you know about your sign, using any of the zodiacs." She tapped her fingers on her desk, curious. What would she learn about each of them today? It could be interesting, to say the least.

space"I suppose I should start off, yes? My birthday is January 12, which makes me a Capricorn in the Western practice. I've never really found that I fit very well into the general traits associated with my sign, such as ambitious and responsible. However, they are also known for loyalty, which I do value highly, and patience. I find that I must be very patient, given how patient others have to be with me. It's only fair, after all. My approach to friendship is the one area in which I match my sign quite well; I am loyal and would do whatever I needed to in order to help someone I cared about in need... Hm. So, how about you? Does anyone wish to share? Have any questions?" She was quite curious, not just about their signs, but about how well they might match up with them. She'd never thought of herself as suiting her own very well. Sometimes, though, people's signs were almost uncannily well suited. That was always quite interesting to see.

User Image

Students posted Wednesday or later will be considered late.

Divination Notes

User Image

Astrology comprises several systems of divination based on the premise that there is a relationship between astronomical phenomena and events in the human world.

Western Astrology
              • Western astrology is a form of divination based on the construction of a horoscope for an exact moment, such as a person's birth. It uses the tropical zodiac, which is aligned to the equinoctial points.
              • Western astrology is founded on the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies such as the Sun, Moon and planets, which are analyzed by their movement through signs of the zodiac (twelve spatial divisions of the ecliptic) and by their aspects (based on geometric angles) relative to one another. They are also considered by their placement in houses (twelve spatial divisions of the sky). Astrology's modern representation in western popular media is usually reduced to sun sign astrology, which considers only the zodiac sign of the Sun at an individual's date of birth, and represents only 1/12 of the total chart.
              • The horoscope visually expresses the set of relationships for the time and place of the chosen event. These relationships are between the seven 'planets', signifying tendencies such as war and love; the twelve signs of the zodiac; and the twelve houses. Each planet is in a particular sign and a particular house at the chosen time, when observed from the chosen place, creating two kinds of relationship. A third kind is the aspect of each planet to every other planet, where for example two planets 120° apart (in 'trine') are in a harmonious relationship, but two planets 90° apart ('square') are in a conflicted relationship. Together these relationships and their interpretations supposedly form "...the language of the heavens speaking to learned men."

Hindu Astrology:
              • The earliest Vedic text on astronomy is the Vedanga Jyotisha; Vedic thought later came to include astrology as well.
              • Hindu natal astrology originated with Hellenistic astrology by the 3rd century BCE, though incorporating the Hindu lunar mansions. The names of the signs (e.g. Greek 'Kpios' for Aries, Hindi 'Kriya'), the planets (e.g. Greek 'Helios' for Sun, astrological Hindi 'Heli'), and astrological terms (e.g. Greek 'apoklima' and 'sunaphe' for declination and planetary conjunction, Hindi 'apoklima' and 'sunapha' respectively) in Varaha Mihira's texts are considered conclusive evidence of a Greek origin for Hindu astrology. The Indian techniques may also have been augmented with some of the Babylonian techniques.

• Chinese astrology has a close relation with Chinese philosophy (theory of the three harmonies: heaven, earth and man) and uses concepts such as yin and yang, the Five phases, the 10 Celestial stems, the 12 Earthly Branches, and shichen (時辰 a form of timekeeping used for religious purposes). The early use of Chinese astrology was mainly confined to political astrology, the observation of unusual phenomena, identification of portents and the selection of auspicious days for events and decisions.
              • The constellations of the Zodiac of western Asia and Europe were not used; instead the sky is divided into Three Enclosures (三垣 sān yuán), and Twenty-eight Mansions (二十八宿 èrshíbā xiù) in twelve Ci (十二次).[88] The Chinese zodiac of twelve animal signs is said to represent twelve different types of personality. It is based on cycles of years, lunar months, and two-hour periods of the day (the shichen). The zodiac traditionally begins with the sign of the Rat, and the cycle proceeds through 11 other animals signs: the Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig.[89] Complex systems of predicting fate and destiny based on one's birthday, birth season, and birth hours, such as ziping and Zi Wei Dou Shu (simplified Chinese: 紫微斗数; traditional Chinese: 紫微斗數; pinyin: zǐwēidǒushù) are still used regularly in modern day Chinese astrology. They do not rely on direct observations of the stars.
              • The Korean zodiac is identical to the Chinese one. The Vietnamese zodiac is almost identical to Chinese zodiac except the second animal is the Water Buffalo instead of the Ox, and the fourth animal is the Cat instead of the Rabbit. The Japanese have since 1873 celebrated the beginning of the new year on 1 January as per the Gregorian Calendar. The Thai zodiac begins, not at Chinese New Year, but either on the first day of fifth month in the Thai lunar calendar, or during the Songkran festival (now celebrated every 13–15 April), depending on the purpose of the use.

Homework: Write a short essay about your own astrological sign, using any of the zodiac systems learned about in class.

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. Exceptions can be made provided you contact Cara MiaKitty and are able to provide a reasonable excuse.

Graydon Ironshield
Selina Grey

The Forgotten Weasley
Antigone Lillantine

Deviled Dregs
Layton Bannister

Diamond Wales
Joel Powell

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:56 pm
User Image
                                            And you don't seem the lying kind
                                            A shame you seemed an honest man
                                            And all the fears you hold so dear

User Image

════════════════════════

Fouʀth Yᴇᴀʀ |Ⅳ| Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ |Ⅳ| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

Text.

Selina made certain she was a bit early for her Divination class, as she really liked the class, and the teacher. If nothing else, she always had a sense of well-being when there, and this was something she really appreciated. After Professor Somerset started the class discussion, Selina raised her hand, waited to be acknowledged before offering, "I was born on the Ides of March, which means I was born under Pisces in the western astrological tradition, with Jupiter as the planet ruling my House. Supposedly this means I'm cheerful, magnanimous, and of jovial temperament, which are adjectives most whom know me would not apply in a description. Saturnine and mercurial, perhaps; jovial not so much. However, my tree in the Celtic tradition is the Ash, the Enchanter, and its characteristics are much closer to me."

════════════════════════
                                            OOC:
                                            User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Will turn to whisper in your ear
                                            and you know I don't mean to hurt you
                                            But you know that it means so much
                                            And you don't even feel a thing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:24 pm
Echoes start as a cross in you,
Trembling noises that come too soon.
Spatial movement which seems to you,
Resonating your mask or feud.
Hollow talking and hollow girl;
Force it up from the root of pain.
Never said it was good...
Never said it was near...

User Image
α и т ı g ø и e
¢ α š š ı ø ρ e ı α
ł ı ł ł α и т ı и e

яανeи¢łαωføυятн чeαяρυяeвłøøđše¢øиđ вøяи

Anti considered Divination one of her favorite classes, both because she felt some odd sort of kinship with Professor Somerset, and because she'd always done very well in it. "I was born on August 18th, making me a Leo," she began hesitantly. "That's supposed to make me very confident and dramatic... which I don't really think is true. But I am honest, and loyal." She, Selina, and the professor had that much in common: not being strictly defined by their signs.

OOC:
Username

Shadow rises and you are here.
And then you cut, you cut it out-
And everything goes back to the beginning.
Silence seizes a cluttered room...
Light is shed not a breath too soon.
Darkness rises in all you do;
Standing and drawn across the room.
Spatial movements and butterflies.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:23 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxDivination Classroom
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxFourth Year Students
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHappy

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx

Divination Notes

User Image

Western Astrology

Hindu Astrology:

Any registered student who fails to post at least once this year will have their house docked ten points at the end of the term.
Exceptions can be made provided you contact Cara MiaKitty and are able to provide a reasonable excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:01 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxDivination Classroom
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHappy

spaceDrusilla had placed candles out on the four tables at the front of the class, ready for the lesson at hand. She couldn't help but wonder if any of the students taking this lesson had the aptitude to See anything in the flame and smoke. She waited for the students to arrive, and then smiled, her arms opening in a welcoming gesture. This lesson was a true test, not just to whether or not a student could See, but also if they took the lesson seriously. "Welcome back, duckies. I'd like you all to read the notes on the board, and preferably write them down as well. Then, I will guide you through a meditative exercise to clear your mind, after which you will each gaze into the lit candle on your desk and take note of what you see, if anything." She sat on her desk, crossing her legs in a relaxed seated position, and waited patiently. When the quills had stopped and the eyes were on her, she smiled.

"Alright, now, I'd like you all to sit in your seat like so, or on the floor, if you like. Take a deep breathe through your nose, filling your lungs until you can take in no more air, and then slowly release the air through your mouth. Do this again, and again, relaxing your mind and body. Clear your mind of any images, any thoughts. Calm yourself, center your being. When you feel you are relaxed, a blank slate, open your eyes, gaze into the flame, and See." She watched carefully, eyeing their expressions. Waiting to see if anyone would truly See anything.

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx

Divination Notes
Lesson 2 : Fire Omens

User Image

The Definition of Pyromancy:
              Pyromancy (from Greek pyros, “fire,” and manteia, “divination”), or Fire Gazing, is the art of divination by means of fire.

The History of Pyromancy:
              • Due to the importance of fire in society from the earliest of times, it is quite likely that pyromancy was one of the earlier forms of divination. It is said that in Greek society, virgins at the Temple of Athena in Athens regularly practiced pyromancy. It is also possible that followers of Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire and the forge, practiced pyromancy.
              • In Renaissance magic, pyromancy was classified as one of the seven "forbidden arts," along with necromancy, geomancy, aeromancy, hydromancy, chiromancy (palmistry), and spatulamancy (scapulimancy).

Forms of Pyromancy:
              The most basic form of pyromancy is that in which the diviner observes flames, from a sacrificial fire, a candle, or another source of flame, and interprets the shapes that he or she sees within them. There are several variations on pyromancy, however, some of which are as follows:
              • Alomancy, divination by salt, one type of which involves casting salt into a fire
              • Botanomancy, divination by burning plants
              • Capnomancy, divination by smoke; light, thin smoke that rose straight up was a good omen; otherwise, a bad one.
              • Causinomancy, divination by burning (non-specific as to the object burned)
              • Daphnomancy (also, Empyromancy), divination by burning laurel leaves
              • Osteomancy, divination using bones, one type of which involves heating to produce cracks
              • Plastromancy, divination using turtle plastrons; in China, this was done by heating pits carved into them.
              • Scapulimancy, divination by scapulae; in Asia and North America, this was done pyromantically.
              • Sideromancy, divination by burning straw with an iron (Greek:Sideros)

Interpreting Pyromancy:
              • Many of the methods of interpretation can be taken from what was learned when we studied Dream Divination.
              • It is important to note that, for all but the most experienced or attuned Seers, what is seen in the fire is seldom meant to be taken literally.
              • If one is properly attuned to the forces and to their own Sight, they may see a pure, unobstructed vision or what is to come.
              • However, most will only see symbols.
              • Details like emotions are hard to place and generally require another detail to throw the meaning into the light.
              • Details like themes can be very telling, but are very much open to interpretation.
              • Details like objects are usually tied to some sort of symbolism; how they are presented, or not presented in the example of the missing pants, is more important than the object itself.
              • People are a very interesting thing to note; their presence can mean many things. Just because a person is in your dream doesn't mean that they'll be present when the events being foretold take place, which is the general belief. Rather, it can mean that you would want them there, or that they represent something you will need. The presence of a brave friend can be because you'll need your courage; a wise friend could mean you'll need wisdom.

Homework: Spend some time Fire Gazing and attempt to interpret what you see. Make a record of it, and attempt to interpret anything of note.

Any registered student who fails to post at least once this year will have their house docked ten points at the end of the term.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:32 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxDivination Classroom
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHappy

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx

Divination Notes

User Image

Western Astrology

Hindu Astrology:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:54 pm
User Image__________________________________________

User Image

User Image

Savannah arrived to class on time, miraculously. Even though she spent the entire walk casually chatting up any cute bloke that crossed paths with her. It seemed much easier to forget the truth, when she was distracted. The fourth year took a seat to herself, noting she was the first to arrive. But Rhys shouldn't be too long behind, she thought hopefully. Maybe then the class will go by quicker, and they can pass notes back and forth. For now, she entertained herself by dipping her quill in ink and began to trace the lines of her palm in jet black.

Up until the professor began, anyway. Savannah spent the rest of the time waving her hand to dry and let the ink dry, by then, she had drawn several butterflies on her wrist and connected the dots of freckles on the back of her hand. It was still partially wet when she half raised her hand to call attention to herself before chiming in, ”I was born on the third of June, so I'm a Gemini... I've never really seen the connection, but other people have said it, that I'm like my zodiac. Talkative, easy to communicate... suppose I am fickle and wishy-washy though, that's a Gemini thing isn't it? Can't really remember now...”

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷
ATTIRE:: rebels uniform 】 【STATS:: Fourteen, 5'6", 124lbs

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷

[OOC: ]

Quote:

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image
                                                        Location : Divination - Tuesday @ 11:00am

Emma slid into class… a bit on the late side. She’d lost track of time but didn’t want to think about it. Quickly taking a seat she was caught on to what they were doing. After listening to Savannah, the Hufflepuff took down the notes off the board. When there was an opening she decided to share her thoughts on her zodiac. “I’m a Sagittarius. I’d like to say I’m optimistic and enthusiastic but lack some patients like they’re known for. I also love being outdoors. So I guess I’m more like my zodiac then I realize, though there are some parts of me I’d say might not match up.” She stated before continuing back on the notes. Emma realized she was more like her zodiac than expected.

With: Class...

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

Somewhere you'll fit in huh?
                                                        A loyal friend like you?
                                                        I think you'll have no trouble fitting in here!
                                                        Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:14 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxDivination Classroom
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHappy

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx

Divination Notes

User Image

Western Astrology

Hindu Astrology:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:40 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxDivination Classroom
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxThird Year Students
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHappy

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx

Divination Notes

User Image

Western Astrology

Hindu Astrology:

Any student who fails to post at least once this year will have their house docked ten points at the end of the term.

Fourth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff