Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Divination III (Lesson 1 ~ 2038) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 pm
User Image
xxxx× × ×xxxxF I F T HxxxY E A RxxxD I V I N A T I O Nxxxx× × ×xxxx

User Image

Taught by Professor Drusilla Somerset
                                          Thursday :: Block 7 :: 3:00 PM - 3:45 PM

User Image

xxxx× × ×xxxxThe Lessonxxxx× × ×xxxx

Divination (from Latin divinare "to foresee, to be inspired by a god", related to divinus, divine) is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of an occultic, standardized process or ritual. Used in various forms throughout history, diviners ascertain their interpretations of how a querent should proceed by reading signs, events, or omens, or through alleged contact with a supernatural agency. Divination can be seen as a systematic method with which to organize what appear to be disjointed, random facets of existence such that they provide insight into a problem at hand. Divination is taught as an elective subject from the third year on at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

User Image

xxxx× × ×xxxxThe Classroomxxxx× × ×xxxx

Hogwarts students must make quite the trek to find the Divination Classroom. Located in a room at the top of one of the towers, they must climb a spiral staircase leading to a floor with a ladder leading up into the classroom. It is a large, round room, kept dark by preference of the new professor, Drusilla Somerset. It is lit entirely by the candelabras that adorn the many tables, as well as a few floating votive candles here and there. The tables, in rows of six with a path down the middle, are topped with old lace tablecloths, and are large enough for two students to sit together. There are two cushioned parlor chairs behind each table. Each row is a level higher than the one in front of it to ensure that the front of the classroom can be seen from everywhere. The central focus is a large, old-fashioned desk, upon which a large crystal ball sits, as well as a stack of papers and a copy of the textbook. Against the walls of the room are shelves and cupboards, all of which are filled with either textbooks or Divination tools. There are two entire cabinets just for tea sets.

x× × × Notice to Roleplayers × × ×x

Regarding Tardiness:
                                          × This lesson updates on Monday ×
                                          × If your character is posted Friday or later, they are late for class ×
                                          × Students posted before Friday are not late, and should not be stated to be so ×

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm
xxxx× × ×xxxxL I S TxxxO FxxxK N O W L E D G Exxxx× × ×xxxx

× Lesson One ×
Introduction to Palmistry

× Homework ×
Write a short essay on Palmistry.

User Image

× Lesson Two ×
Palmistry: Hand Shape, Lines, and Mounts

× Homework ×
Sketch your own hand; make note of its features and what they mean.

User Image

× Lesson Three ×
Dream Divination

× Homework ×
Keep a dream journal for a week, making note of any interesting symbols that occur.

User Image

× Lesson Four ×
Crystal Gazing

× Homework ×
Meet with Professor Somerset in her office for a gazing session.

User Image

x× × × Notice to Roleplayers × × ×x

Concerning Homework:
× Homework assignments may be posted to Professor Somerset's Office ×
× Completed homework assignments will be awarded house points ×
× Homework is due by the time the next lesson is posted ×

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:25 pm
xxxx× × ×xxxxH O U S ExxxP O I N T Sxxxx× × ×xxxx

xxxGryffindorxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

xxxHufflepuffxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

xxxRavenclawxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

xxxSlytherinxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 am
User Image
Drusilla is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Enchanting in my Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Studentsspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excitedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'My first week of lessons of my first year teaching... how wonderful.' spacespac
'Two halves are equal,
A cross between two evils.'

═════════════════════════════════

Drusilla watched from her chair as the students filed in, counting heads and searching for names and faces. She didn't really need to ask their names; she had seen them all before, one time or another. Little ducks, all in a row. She smiled as they took their seats and stood, her arms sweeping in a dramatic gesture. That was how you did this, right? You played up the theatrics, made it interesting? She supposed a few would roll their eyes, but it was to be expected. Few people took her area of expertise seriously. "Hello, young ones, and welcome to Divination! I will be your new professor, Drusilla Somerset. Although it'll be Professor Somerset to you, of course, little ducks, but that's quite fine, I think..." She trailed off, her eyes growing distant for a second before she gave her head a small shake, smiling again. "Palmistry is an old and rather odd form of fortune telling. It is the method of looking at a person's hand and reading the lines to determine what direction their life might take. Emphasis on might, of course, since, as with all forms of Divination, it is a fluid art which is rarely definite. Palmistry is a fairly easy form of Divination for students to begin learning, but it is also one that takes years to master. Its tools are simple, your mind and your hands. Because of this, it is one of the most easily accessible methods of fortune telling. The more practiced you are at the art of Palmistry, the more detailed your readings will become."

She paused then, eyeing her students carefully. For once she wasn't suffering from random distractions, random visions. She was in her element, doing what she knew she must. What felt right. She gestured to the board, where she'd written out the important details of the day's lesson for her students to copy down. Hopefully, this practice would continue. Her schedule was very important to her; it was what kept her on track. And part of that schedule was writing the lesson plan out for her students to copy. It ensured that, if she missed something in the discussion, they still learned it. "On the board, you can see notes on the day's lesson. Please copy them down. While you are doing so, think of your own answers for these questions; How can reading the lines on a person's palm tell their future? Is this a feasible method for making a prediction? Any student who contributes anything worthwhile to the discussion will earn House Points." She began pacing the room then, eyeing her students carefully. Would they take this lesson seriously? They'd chosen to take it, but then, that had never stopped anyone from treating it like a joke before.

'It's not an enviable lot.'

(( OOC: ))

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:12 pm
User Image
Can't help if I space in a daze,
My eyes tune out the other way,
I may switch off and go in a daydream

User Image

Rose entered and took a seat, noticing that there was a new teacher. Thankfully, she spoke briefly, allowing Rose to copy the notes on the board. Rose only copied a few though, deciding instead to doodle in her notebook and wait for class to be over. The last professor killed any interest she had in the subject, and Rose was just waiting to take her OWLs so that she could just drop the class.

----------------------------------
State: Bored
OOC: ...
----------------------------------

In this head my thoughts are deep,
But sometimes I can't even speak,
Would someone be and not pretend I'm off again in my World

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm
User Image
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excitedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'My first week of lessons of my first year teaching... how wonderful.' spacespac
'Two halves are equal,

When she was finished with the lecture and the young lady who'd arrive seemed to be finished with her note-taking, Drusilla approached her. She held out a hand, smiling. "Rose, dear, could I see your palm?" She waited until the young lady acquiesced, and sat next to her, taking her hand and looking it over, tracing lines and mumbling to herself, her eyes both focused and far away at the same time. A few snippets could be heard from the Seer, random little things, such as "Oooh, won't be expecting homework from this one," and "Oh, what a lovely girl she's got for herself." After a minute of this, she looked up, smiling at the young lady, patting her hand gently. "A candy shop is a lovely thing, my dear, I'll be sure to stop in and buy some sweets." Dru had gotten a bit caught up and wasn't entirely sure how much of what she'd read had been from the palm reading and how much might have just been visions, but it didn't seem to matter. She knew what she'd seen for the young lady, and it seemed rather nice. "Troubles come and go, my dear, but I think... you'll be rather happy, little duck. So nice to See. So much of everything is so dark... it's nice to see light sometimes." She stood, her eyes far away, and walked back to her own desk. "I'm supposed to have another, aren't I? A young man... but he's not here, duckie, where is he?" She wasn't talking to Rose at this point, but to herself, or rather, those voices that seemed to bounce around in her mind. Her eyes narrowed. "Naughty boy, not showing up for class. How very bad of him. Well, then, no sense in punishing someone who's not here to hear it. Maybe a reward instead? Yes, five points to the little badger for coming to class, I think, even though she doesn't want to be here. That's fine; her last teacher was awful, wasn't she? So many awful teachers... Ah, well. We'll still visit her sweet shop, duckie." Drusilla shook her head a bit, and then looked at Rose, smiling. "Oh! Ah, thank you for coming to class, dear. Five points to Hufflepuff, then." She supposed it was odd to give points for someone doing what they were supposed to, but hey, if the bad behavior was the norm... might as well reward the good, right?

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:18 pm
Lesson One: Palmistry

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework should be turned into Professor Somerset's Office before the end of Lesson 2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 pm
Lesson Two: Fire Gazing

User Image

The Definition of Fire Omens:
              • Fire Gazing, or Pyromancy (from Greek pyros, “fire,” and manteia, “divination”) is the art of divination by means of fire.

History of Fire Gazing:
              • Due to the importance of fire in society from the earliest of times, it is quite likely that pyromancy was one of the earlier forms of divination. It is said that in Greek society, virgins at the Temple of Athena in Athens regularly practiced pyromancy. It is also possible that followers of Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire and the forge, practiced pyromancy.
              • In Renaissance magic, pyromancy was classified as one of the seven "forbidden arts," along with necromancy, geomancy, aeromancy, hydromancy, chiromancy (palmistry), and spatulamancy (scapulimancy).

Forms of Pyromancy:
              The most basic form of pyromancy is that in which the diviner observes flames, from a sacrificial fire, a candle, or another source of flame, and interprets the shapes that he or she sees within them. There are several variations on pyromancy, however, some of which are as follows:
                  • Alomancy, divination by salt, one type of which involves casting salt into a fire
                  • Botanomancy, divination by burning plants
                  • Capnomancy, divination by smoke; light, thin smoke that rose straight up was a good omen; otherwise, a bad one.
                  • Causinomancy, divination by burning (non-specific as to the object burned)
                  • Daphnomancy (also, Empyromancy), divination by burning laurel leaves
                  • Osteomancy, divination using bones, one type of which involves heating to produce cracks
                  • Plastromancy, divination using turtle plastrons; in China, this was done by heating pits carved into them.
                  • Scapulimancy, divination by scapulae; in Asia and North America, this was done pyromantically.
                  • Sideromancy, divination by burning straw with an iron (Greek:Sideros)

Interpreting Images presented by Fire:
                    • Many of the methods of interpretation can be taken from what was learned when we studied Dream Divination.
                    • It is important to note that, for all but the most experienced or attuned Seers, what is seen in the fire is seldom meant to be taken literally.
                    • If one is properly attuned to the forces and to their own Sight, they may see a pure, unobstructed vision or what is to come.
                    • However, most will only see symbols.
                    • Details like emotions are hard to place and generally require another detail to throw the meaning into the light.
                    • Details like themes can be very telling, but are very much open to interpretation.
                    • Details like objects are usually tied to some sort of symbolism; how they are presented, or not presented in the example of the missing pants, is more important than the object itself.
                    • People are a very interesting thing to note; their presence can mean many things. Just because a person is in your dream doesn't mean that they'll be present when the events being foretold take place, which is the general belief. Rather, it can mean that you would want them there, or that they represent something you will need. The presence of a brave friend can be because you'll need your courage; a wise friend could mean you'll need wisdom.

Homework: Spend some time Fire Gazing and attempt to interpret what you see. Make a record of it, and attempt to interpret anything of note.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

Diamond Wales

Sir Spazalots

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50
    PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:38 pm
    User Image
    CURRENTLY FEELING // Calmspacespa
    CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I wonder who will see... what they'll see...' spacespac
    'Two halves are equal,

Drusilla had placed candles out on the four tables at the front of the class, ready for the lesson at hand. She couldn't help but wonder if any of the students taking this lesson had the aptitude to See anything in the flame and smoke. She waited for the students to arrive, and then smiled, her arms opening in a welcoming gesture. This lesson was a true test, not just to whether or not a student could See, but also if they took the lesson seriously. "Hello, students! I'd like you all to read the notes on the board, and preferably write them down as well. Then, I will guide you through a meditative exercise to clear your mind, after which you will each gaze into the lit candle on your desk and take note of what you see, if anything." She sat on her desk, crossing her legs in a relaxed seated position, and waited patiently. When the quills had stopped and the eyes were on her, she smiled.

"Alright, now, I'd like you all to sit in your seat like so, or on the floor, if you like. Take a deep breathe through your nose, filling your lungs until you can take in no more air, and then slowly release the air through your mouth. Do this again, and again, relaxing your mind and body. Clear your mind of any images, any thoughts. Calm yourself, center your being. When you feel you are relaxed, a blank slate, open your eyes, gaze into the flame, and See." She watched carefully, eyeing their expressions. Waiting to see if anyone would truly See anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:36 am

User Image

The Definition of Palmistry:
                • Palmistry, or chiromancy, consists of the practice of evaluating a person's character or future life by "reading" the palm of that person's hand. Various "lines" ("heart line", "life line", etc.) and "mounts" (or bumps) (chirognomy), purportedly suggest interpretations by their relative sizes, qualities, and intersections. In some traditions, readers also examine characteristics of the fingers, fingernails, fingerprints and palmar skin patterns (dermatoglyphics), skin texture and color, shape of the palm, and flexibility of the hand.

Reading the Palm:
                • Unlike many other forms of Divination, the purpose of Palmistry is to look into a person's entire life, rather than to isolate particular events. It cannot be used to divine anything specific or answer a specific question. Rather, it tells a person the sort of life they can expect to live.
                • A reader usually begins by reading the person's 'dominant hand' (the hand he or she writes with or uses the most)(sometimes considered to represent the conscious mind, whereas the other hand is subconscious). In some traditions of palmistry, the other hand is believed to carry hereditary or family traits, or, depending on the palmist's cosmological beliefs, to convey information about past-life or karmic conditions.

Hand Shape:
                Depending on the type of palmistry practiced, and the type of reading being performed, palmists may look at various qualities of the hand, including the shapes and lines of the palm and fingers; the color and texture of the skin and fingernails; the relative sizes of the palm and fingers; the prominence of the knuckles; and numerous other attributes of the hands.
                In most schools of palmistry, hand shapes are divided into four or 11 major types, sometimes corresponding to the Classical elements or temperaments. Hand shape is believed to indicate character traits corresponding to the type indicated (i.e., a "Fire hand" would exhibit high energy, creativity, short temper, ambition, etc. - all qualities believed to be related to the Classical element of Fire).
                Although variations abound, the most common classifications used by modern palmists:
                    • Earth hands are generally identified by broad, square palms and fingers, thick or coarse skin, and ruddy color. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually equal to the length of the fingers.
                    • Air hands exhibit square or rectangular palms with long fingers and sometimes protruding knuckles, low-set thumbs, and often dry skin. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually equal to the length of the fingers.
                    • Water hands are seeable by the short, sometimes oval-shaped palm, with long, flexible, conical fingers. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually less than the width across the widest part of the palm, and usually equal to the length of the fingers.
                    • Fire hands are characterized by a square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin, and shorter fingers. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually greater than the length of the fingers.

The number and quality of lines can also be included in the hand shape analysis; in some traditions of palmistry, Earth and Water hands tend to have fewer, deeper lines, while Air and Fire hands are more likely to show more lines with less clear definition.

The Lines:
                The three lines found on almost all hands, and generally given most weight by palmists:
                    • The heart line is the first of the major lines examined by a reader and represents love and attraction. It is found towards the top of the palm, under the fingers. In some traditions, the line is read as starting from the edge of the palm under the little finger and flowing across the palm towards the thumb; in others, it is seen as starting under the fingers and flowing toward the outside edge of the palm. Palmists interpret this line to represent matters of the heart, that is, more literally, our emotional living; it is therefore believed to be an insight into how the emotional sides of our mindframes will act out and be acted upon during our lifetimes, and often said, to what extent we possess emotional reservoirs within us, for example, a chained or gridded heart line (or emotional line) is often seen in people who are highly strung, nervous and draw upon emotional strength and insight to attain their ambitions, i.e. they wear their 'emotions' on their sleeves, often to draw strength. Such chaining or gridding on the heart line (emotional line) is often seen in intensely creative artists such as musicians and writers, as well as deeply driven scientists. Dealing with emotions, the line is also claimed to indicate romantic perspectives and intimate relationships, again, a chained or gridded heart line is said to point to a flirtatious attitude to love, and one which can be prone to fall in love easily. On a physical level, the heart line is indirectly associated with heart health, moreso through the effects that emotions can have on the body such as with blood pressure. A chained heart line is often associated with high blood pressure, but also of an 'adrenaline junkie' attitude in life.
                    • The next line identified by palmists is the head line. This line starts at the edge of the palm under the index finger and flows across the palm towards the outside edge. Often, the head line is joined with the life line at inception. Palmists generally interpret this line to represent the person's mind and the way it works, including learning style, communication style, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge. It is also believed to indicate a preference for creative or analytical approaches to information (i.e., right brain or left brain).
                    • The life line is perhaps the most controversial line on the hand. This line extends from the edge of the palm above the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. This line is believed to represent the person's vitality and vigor, physical health and general well being. The life line is also believed to reflect major life changes, including cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and relocations. Contrary to popular belief, modern palmists generally do not believe that the length of a person's life line is tied to the length of a person's life.

The combined length of these three main lines (heart, head, life) can also be used. If this combined length is longer than a persons foot they may be over bearing. However, if it is shorter they may give in too easily to other people. A similar length suggests a well balanced individual.
                    Additional major lines or variations include:
                        • A simian crease, or fusing of the heart and head lines, has special significance in that both emotional as well as reasoning nature have to be studied from this line alone. The peculiar line is thought to be a combination of the head and heart lines on such hands that are separately marked on the rest of the hands.
                        • The fate line runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the center of the palm towards the middle finger. This line is believed to be tied to the person's life path, including school and career choices, successes and obstacles. Sometimes this line is thought to reflect circumstances beyond the individual's control, or alternately the person's choices and their consequences.
                        • Sun line - parallel to the Fate Line, under the ring finger; believed to indicate fame or scandal
                        • Girdle of Venus - starts between the little and ring fingers, runs in a rough arc under the ring and middle fingers to end between the middle and pointer fingers; thought to relate to emotional intelligence and the ability to manipulate
                        • Union lines - short horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the Heart Line and the bottom of the little finger; believed to indicate close relationships, sometimes - but not always - romantic.
                        • Mercury line - runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the palm towards the little finger; purported to be an indicator of persistent health issues, business acumen, or skill in communication.
                        • Travel lines - these are horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the wrist and the heart line; each line is said to represent a trip taken by the subject - the longer the line, the more important the trip is to the subject.
                        • Other markings - these include stars, crosses, triangles, squares, tridents, and rings under each of the fingers; their supposed impact and meaning varies by location on the palm and freedom from other interfering lines.
                        • "Apollo line" - the Apollo line means to have a fortunate life; it travels from the Mount of the Moon at the wrist to beneath the Apollo finger.
                        • "Ominous line" - crosses life line and forms 'x' shape; very bad sign to find; palm readers will often not mention this line because of the worry it causes to the person being read. Common indicators of ominous line include 'M' being formed by other lines.

The Mounts:
                In order to be able to interpret the lines—and their effects on our relationships—it is essential to have an understanding of the underlying mounts.
                The hand is divided into seven segments called mounts. Each mount relates to a corresponding planet with a specific portfolio. The mounts of the hand provide a tangible record of how we deal with each of these planetary influences, and what our challenges are.
                The mounts also represent the colors in the spectrum of the rainbow. The more each mount begins to reflect the characteristics of its own specific light frequency, the more representative it becomes of the superconscious soul or light within.
                The mounts are Luna, Venus, Mars (formed by its negative and positive poles), Jupiter, Saturn, Sun, Mercury and Rahu and Ketu.
                Following is a brief description of the mounts and the specific characteristics that they reflect.
                    • The mount of Luna (or Moon - represents the first stage of our evolutionary process. Luna stands for the original plan of creation, as in the Bible quotation, “in the beginning was the Word...” As such, it relates to the collective unconscious as well as to each person’s individual receptivity to tune into that creative source. Luna pertains to the qualities of perception, creativity, imagination and sensory awareness.
                    • Venus - next in the sequence of mounts, represents the actual physical manifestation of the “concept” which was initiated in Luna. (“... and the Word was made flesh....”*). Venus represents the actual cellular makeup—or energy—that manifests itself in physical form. It shows the condition of the body and how at home we feel in our physical form. The mount of Venus reflects the presence or absence of qualities such as harmony, kindness, grace, charm and love. It reflects our degree of physical and sexual health, sensuality and beauty.
                    • Mars negative - is the next focus of attention for the unfolding human soul. Symbolically, it relates to the mobilization of the spark of incarnate energy originally conceived and then brought into being through Luna and then Venus. Mars negative stands for our energy, which, when not properly harnessed and channeled, can lead to exhaustion, or possibly to anger and aggression.
                    • Jupiter - represents the awakening of the conscious mind. In India, it is referred to as the guru or dispeller of darkness. It speaks of our sense of purpose—what role we want to play in life. Jupiter stands for ambition, confidence, leadership and justice.
                    • Saturn - indicates the necessity to search within. It represents the alchemist who is able to synthesize the experiences of Jupiter in order to extract a deeper meaning of life. Saturn stands for wisdom, co-ordination and discernment.
                    • The Sun - in our hand indicates our desire to share all that has been learned from the profound nature of Saturn. It is referred to as atma and represents our soul. The Sun shows that aspect within us which can transcend any limitations. Success, charisma and integrity are all characteristic of the Sun.
                    • Mercury - In India, stands for the Buddha and reflects an “enlightened” consciousness. It relates to our involvement in the world, and also our ability to be detached from the fruits of our actions. Mercury denotes intuition, spontaneity and the ability to communicate effortlessly.
                    • Mars - Next lies the mount of Mars positive (which, with Mars negative—located on the opposite side of the palm—forms the Mars galaxy). Whereas Mars negative relates to our physical energy, Mars positive deals with our mental strength. Positive characteristics include endurance, persistence, and a calm mental state.
                    • Rahu and Ketu - are inextricably intertwined. Ketu represents the kinds of circumstances we attracted in the past and our attitudes towards them, whereas Rahu relates to our immediate environment. A famous Sanskrit verse tells us that “our present is the result of all our yesterdays, and the future depends on how well we live today.” This sums up the relationship between Rahu and Ketu.

Ketu is our karmic account book, whose balance sheet portrays the entire record of our thoughts, attitudes, and behavior of the past. Rahu reflects the kind of environment we are likely to attract in the present, and how receptive we are to either making the most of it, or limiting its potentials by resisting opportunities that come our way.
                    From a metaphysical viewpoint, as the mounts begin to express the ideal characteristics for which they stand—for example, the objective perception of Luna, the unconditional love of Venus, the calmly active energy of Mars—they consequently begin to radiate at their specific light frequencies in the color spectrum. The result is pure radiant light.

Homework: Attempt to do a basic reading on either your own hand or the hand of a friend. Write out your findings and turn it in.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

The Forgotten Weasley

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50

The Forgotten Weasley
    Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
    • WilyTrickster 50
    • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
    • The Wolf Within 100
    PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm
    Make me WHOLE again, open your EYES
    TAUNTED by the SHADOW of your lie
    Cold and far AWAY like you're not even MINE
    Undo EVERYTHING and TAKE me
    HIGHER, never BELIEVING what they say
    'Cause I'm COUNTING the DAYS
    To MEET you on the OTHER side
    I will ALWAYS be WAITING

Mood: Surprised
    Thoughts: I'm the only student...and that's a lot of notes...
    Company: Professor Somerset

N E W L Y N | T A R A | V A S S

H U F F L E P U F F | B L O O D T R A I T O R | F I F T H Y E A R User Image

Newlyn quickly came to the realization that she was the only student still taking Divination. Great. It was going to be just her and...Professor Somerset, who was nice enough but a tad disturbing sometimes. Maybe that came with being a seer. She literally gulped at all the notes that she was going to have to take and got to work, scribbling furiously. This was going to take a while to copy down...

The more SYMPATHY you GIVE, the LESS you NEED

Until the DAY that I see YOU on the other side
    COME and take me HOME
    I'm not giving IN, I WANT you back
    Holding together the SHARDS of our PAST
    Stole my HEART away, I can't LET you go
    Break these CHAINS, and let me FLY to you
    High ABOVE the world BELOW
    OVER and over in my MIND

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:44 pm

User Image

The Definition of Palmistry:
                • Palmistry, or chiromancy, consists of the practice of evaluating a person's character or future life by "reading" the palm of that person's hand. Various "lines" ("heart line", "life line", etc.) and "mounts" (or bumps) (chirognomy), purportedly suggest interpretations by their relative sizes, qualities, and intersections. In some traditions, readers also examine characteristics of the fingers, fingernails, fingerprints and palmar skin patterns (dermatoglyphics), skin texture and color, shape of the palm, and flexibility of the hand.

Reading the Palm:
                • Unlike many other forms of Divination, the purpose of Palmistry is to look into a person's entire life, rather than to isolate particular events. It cannot be used to divine anything specific or answer a specific question. Rather, it tells a person the sort of life they can expect to live.
                • A reader usually begins by reading the person's 'dominant hand' (the hand he or she writes with or uses the most)(sometimes considered to represent the conscious mind, whereas the other hand is subconscious). In some traditions of palmistry, the other hand is believed to carry hereditary or family traits, or, depending on the palmist's cosmological beliefs, to convey information about past-life or karmic conditions.

Hand Shape:
                Depending on the type of palmistry practiced, and the type of reading being performed, palmists may look at various qualities of the hand, including the shapes and lines of the palm and fingers; the color and texture of the skin and fingernails; the relative sizes of the palm and fingers; the prominence of the knuckles; and numerous other attributes of the hands.
                In most schools of palmistry, hand shapes are divided into four or 11 major types, sometimes corresponding to the Classical elements or temperaments. Hand shape is believed to indicate character traits corresponding to the type indicated (i.e., a "Fire hand" would exhibit high energy, creativity, short temper, ambition, etc. - all qualities believed to be related to the Classical element of Fire).
                Although variations abound, the most common classifications used by modern palmists:
                    • Earth hands are generally identified by broad, square palms and fingers, thick or coarse skin, and ruddy color. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually equal to the length of the fingers.
                    • Air hands exhibit square or rectangular palms with long fingers and sometimes protruding knuckles, low-set thumbs, and often dry skin. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually equal to the length of the fingers.
                    • Water hands are seeable by the short, sometimes oval-shaped palm, with long, flexible, conical fingers. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually less than the width across the widest part of the palm, and usually equal to the length of the fingers.
                    • Fire hands are characterized by a square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin, and shorter fingers. The length of the palm from wrist to the bottom of the fingers is usually greater than the length of the fingers.

The number and quality of lines can also be included in the hand shape analysis; in some traditions of palmistry, Earth and Water hands tend to have fewer, deeper lines, while Air and Fire hands are more likely to show more lines with less clear definition.

The Lines:
                The three lines found on almost all hands, and generally given most weight by palmists:
                    • The heart line is the first of the major lines examined by a reader and represents love and attraction. It is found towards the top of the palm, under the fingers. In some traditions, the line is read as starting from the edge of the palm under the little finger and flowing across the palm towards the thumb; in others, it is seen as starting under the fingers and flowing toward the outside edge of the palm. Palmists interpret this line to represent matters of the heart, that is, more literally, our emotional living; it is therefore believed to be an insight into how the emotional sides of our mindframes will act out and be acted upon during our lifetimes, and often said, to what extent we possess emotional reservoirs within us, for example, a chained or gridded heart line (or emotional line) is often seen in people who are highly strung, nervous and draw upon emotional strength and insight to attain their ambitions, i.e. they wear their 'emotions' on their sleeves, often to draw strength. Such chaining or gridding on the heart line (emotional line) is often seen in intensely creative artists such as musicians and writers, as well as deeply driven scientists. Dealing with emotions, the line is also claimed to indicate romantic perspectives and intimate relationships, again, a chained or gridded heart line is said to point to a flirtatious attitude to love, and one which can be prone to fall in love easily. On a physical level, the heart line is indirectly associated with heart health, moreso through the effects that emotions can have on the body such as with blood pressure. A chained heart line is often associated with high blood pressure, but also of an 'adrenaline junkie' attitude in life.
                    • The next line identified by palmists is the head line. This line starts at the edge of the palm under the index finger and flows across the palm towards the outside edge. Often, the head line is joined with the life line at inception. Palmists generally interpret this line to represent the person's mind and the way it works, including learning style, communication style, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge. It is also believed to indicate a preference for creative or analytical approaches to information (i.e., right brain or left brain).
                    • The life line is perhaps the most controversial line on the hand. This line extends from the edge of the palm above the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. This line is believed to represent the person's vitality and vigor, physical health and general well being. The life line is also believed to reflect major life changes, including cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and relocations. Contrary to popular belief, modern palmists generally do not believe that the length of a person's life line is tied to the length of a person's life.

The combined length of these three main lines (heart, head, life) can also be used. If this combined length is longer than a persons foot they may be over bearing. However, if it is shorter they may give in too easily to other people. A similar length suggests a well balanced individual.
                    Additional major lines or variations include:
                        • A simian crease, or fusing of the heart and head lines, has special significance in that both emotional as well as reasoning nature have to be studied from this line alone. The peculiar line is thought to be a combination of the head and heart lines on such hands that are separately marked on the rest of the hands.
                        • The fate line runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the center of the palm towards the middle finger. This line is believed to be tied to the person's life path, including school and career choices, successes and obstacles. Sometimes this line is thought to reflect circumstances beyond the individual's control, or alternately the person's choices and their consequences.
                        • Sun line - parallel to the Fate Line, under the ring finger; believed to indicate fame or scandal
                        • Girdle of Venus - starts between the little and ring fingers, runs in a rough arc under the ring and middle fingers to end between the middle and pointer fingers; thought to relate to emotional intelligence and the ability to manipulate
                        • Union lines - short horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the Heart Line and the bottom of the little finger; believed to indicate close relationships, sometimes - but not always - romantic.
                        • Mercury line - runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the palm towards the little finger; purported to be an indicator of persistent health issues, business acumen, or skill in communication.
                        • Travel lines - these are horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the wrist and the heart line; each line is said to represent a trip taken by the subject - the longer the line, the more important the trip is to the subject.
                        • Other markings - these include stars, crosses, triangles, squares, tridents, and rings under each of the fingers; their supposed impact and meaning varies by location on the palm and freedom from other interfering lines.
                        • "Apollo line" - the Apollo line means to have a fortunate life; it travels from the Mount of the Moon at the wrist to beneath the Apollo finger.
                        • "Ominous line" - crosses life line and forms 'x' shape; very bad sign to find; palm readers will often not mention this line because of the worry it causes to the person being read. Common indicators of ominous line include 'M' being formed by other lines.

The Mounts:
                In order to be able to interpret the lines—and their effects on our relationships—it is essential to have an understanding of the underlying mounts.
                The hand is divided into seven segments called mounts. Each mount relates to a corresponding planet with a specific portfolio. The mounts of the hand provide a tangible record of how we deal with each of these planetary influences, and what our challenges are.
                The mounts also represent the colors in the spectrum of the rainbow. The more each mount begins to reflect the characteristics of its own specific light frequency, the more representative it becomes of the superconscious soul or light within.
                The mounts are Luna, Venus, Mars (formed by its negative and positive poles), Jupiter, Saturn, Sun, Mercury and Rahu and Ketu.
                Following is a brief description of the mounts and the specific characteristics that they reflect.
                    • The mount of Luna (or Moon - represents the first stage of our evolutionary process. Luna stands for the original plan of creation, as in the Bible quotation, “in the beginning was the Word...” As such, it relates to the collective unconscious as well as to each person’s individual receptivity to tune into that creative source. Luna pertains to the qualities of perception, creativity, imagination and sensory awareness.
                    • Venus - next in the sequence of mounts, represents the actual physical manifestation of the “concept” which was initiated in Luna. (“... and the Word was made flesh....”*). Venus represents the actual cellular makeup—or energy—that manifests itself in physical form. It shows the condition of the body and how at home we feel in our physical form. The mount of Venus reflects the presence or absence of qualities such as harmony, kindness, grace, charm and love. It reflects our degree of physical and sexual health, sensuality and beauty.
                    • Mars negative - is the next focus of attention for the unfolding human soul. Symbolically, it relates to the mobilization of the spark of incarnate energy originally conceived and then brought into being through Luna and then Venus. Mars negative stands for our energy, which, when not properly harnessed and channeled, can lead to exhaustion, or possibly to anger and aggression.
                    • Jupiter - represents the awakening of the conscious mind. In India, it is referred to as the guru or dispeller of darkness. It speaks of our sense of purpose—what role we want to play in life. Jupiter stands for ambition, confidence, leadership and justice.
                    • Saturn - indicates the necessity to search within. It represents the alchemist who is able to synthesize the experiences of Jupiter in order to extract a deeper meaning of life. Saturn stands for wisdom, co-ordination and discernment.
                    • The Sun - in our hand indicates our desire to share all that has been learned from the profound nature of Saturn. It is referred to as atma and represents our soul. The Sun shows that aspect within us which can transcend any limitations. Success, charisma and integrity are all characteristic of the Sun.
                    • Mercury - In India, stands for the Buddha and reflects an “enlightened” consciousness. It relates to our involvement in the world, and also our ability to be detached from the fruits of our actions. Mercury denotes intuition, spontaneity and the ability to communicate effortlessly.
                    • Mars - Next lies the mount of Mars positive (which, with Mars negative—located on the opposite side of the palm—forms the Mars galaxy). Whereas Mars negative relates to our physical energy, Mars positive deals with our mental strength. Positive characteristics include endurance, persistence, and a calm mental state.
                    • Rahu and Ketu - are inextricably intertwined. Ketu represents the kinds of circumstances we attracted in the past and our attitudes towards them, whereas Rahu relates to our immediate environment. A famous Sanskrit verse tells us that “our present is the result of all our yesterdays, and the future depends on how well we live today.” This sums up the relationship between Rahu and Ketu.

Ketu is our karmic account book, whose balance sheet portrays the entire record of our thoughts, attitudes, and behavior of the past. Rahu reflects the kind of environment we are likely to attract in the present, and how receptive we are to either making the most of it, or limiting its potentials by resisting opportunities that come our way.
                    From a metaphysical viewpoint, as the mounts begin to express the ideal characteristics for which they stand—for example, the objective perception of Luna, the unconditional love of Venus, the calmly active energy of Mars—they consequently begin to radiate at their specific light frequencies in the color spectrum. The result is pure radiant light.

Homework: Attempt to do a basic reading on either your own hand or the hand of a friend. Write out your findings and turn it in.

OOC:

Sir Spazalots
    Bradley Goldwind

Miss GryffindorK
    Lyre Lutrix

XxXDevil-Chan
    Ruka Theresia

heathero3o595
    Annabeth Fletcher

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50
    PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:55 pm
    User Image
    CURRENTLY // Looking Distracted at Locationspace
    CURRENTLY // singlespaces
    CURRENTLY FEELING // Distractedspacespa
    CURRENTLY THINKING // 'So many little duckies, so so many...' spacespac

☩ ☩ ☩ But what is this, that I cant see?
    With ice cold hands taking hold of me...
    ☩ ☩ ☩
    ═════════════════════════════════════════════════

spaceDrusilla entered the classroom in a daze. She was quite late, she was certain of it. Where did the time go? She'd been so caught up in her cards and runes that she'd completely lost track of it... or perhaps she'd simply stared off into space for a couple of hours. Both were equally possible, after all... except that when she arrived in the classroom and checked the clock, she was actually on time. She frowned; the clock in her office must be wrong, then. She'd have to fix it... if she remembered. Which she probably wouldn't, of course. She blinked a moment, then smiled at her students, her arms sweeping open in a grand gesture. "Hello, my little ducks, and welcome to Divination. I am Professor Somerset. Now then, in this class, you will need to have an open mind, open eyes, and patience. Divination is a powerful art, but difficult. Also, there will be no disrespecting of my craft, or of the abilities of fellow students... now then! With that unpleasantness out of the way, we can begin."

spaceShe paused long enough to let the students absorb her words, and long enough to get just a tad distracted... what was she looking at, though? She scowled for a moment, shoved the visions away, and smiled widely again at her students before launching into the lecture. "Palmistry is an old and rather odd form of fortune telling. It is the method of looking at a person's hand and reading the lines to determine what direction their life might take. Emphasis on might, of course, since, as with all forms of Divination, it is a fluid art which is rarely definite. Palmistry is a fairly easy form of Divination for students to begin learning, but it is also one that takes years to master. Its tools are simple, your mind and your hands. Because of this, it is one of the most easily accessible methods of fortune telling. The more practiced you are at the art of Palmistry, the more detailed your readings will become." She stopped then, curious. She had, of course, seen this play out, but in different ways each time... how would it happen then?

spaceThe Seer's eyes glazed, and she shifted a bit, her head tilting in an odd manner, rather like a bird's, her eyes unblinking and unseeing. After a moment, she gave her head a light shake, and smiled again. "Where was I? Oh, yes. On the board, you can see notes on the day's lesson. Please copy them down. While you are doing so, think of your own answers for these questions; How can reading the lines on a person's palm tell their future? Is this a feasible method for making a prediction? Any student who contributes anything worthwhile to the discussion will earn House Points." She waited patiently, eager to hear what her students had to say. It would tell her much about them... but didn't she already know? Sometimes she forgot...

☩ ☩ ☩ When God is gone and the Devil takes hold,
                                                            Who will have mercy on your soul?
                                                            ☩ ☩ ☩

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:34 pm
    Lesson Two: Fire Gazing

User Image

The Definition of Fire Omens:
                • Fire Gazing, or Pyromancy (from Greek pyros, “fire,” and manteia, “divination”) is the art of divination by means of fire.

History of Fire Gazing:
                • Due to the importance of fire in society from the earliest of times, it is quite likely that pyromancy was one of the earlier forms of divination. It is said that in Greek society, virgins at the Temple of Athena in Athens regularly practiced pyromancy. It is also possible that followers of Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire and the forge, practiced pyromancy.
                • In Renaissance magic, pyromancy was classified as one of the seven "forbidden arts," along with necromancy, geomancy, aeromancy, hydromancy, chiromancy (palmistry), and spatulamancy (scapulimancy).

Forms of Pyromancy:
                The most basic form of pyromancy is that in which the diviner observes flames, from a sacrificial fire, a candle, or another source of flame, and interprets the shapes that he or she sees within them. There are several variations on pyromancy, however, some of which are as follows:
                    • Alomancy, divination by salt, one type of which involves casting salt into a fire
                    • Botanomancy, divination by burning plants
                    • Capnomancy, divination by smoke; light, thin smoke that rose straight up was a good omen; otherwise, a bad one.
                    • Causinomancy, divination by burning (non-specific as to the object burned)
                    • Daphnomancy (also, Empyromancy), divination by burning laurel leaves
                    • Osteomancy, divination using bones, one type of which involves heating to produce cracks
                    • Plastromancy, divination using turtle plastrons; in China, this was done by heating pits carved into them.
                    • Scapulimancy, divination by scapulae; in Asia and North America, this was done pyromantically.
                    • Sideromancy, divination by burning straw with an iron (Greek:Sideros)

Interpreting Images presented by Fire:
                      • Many of the methods of interpretation can be taken from what was learned when we studied Dream Divination.
                      • It is important to note that, for all but the most experienced or attuned Seers, what is seen in the fire is seldom meant to be taken literally.
                      • If one is properly attuned to the forces and to their own Sight, they may see a pure, unobstructed vision or what is to come.
                      • However, most will only see symbols.
                      • Details like emotions are hard to place and generally require another detail to throw the meaning into the light.
                      • Details like themes can be very telling, but are very much open to interpretation.
                      • Details like objects are usually tied to some sort of symbolism; how they are presented, or not presented in the example of the missing pants, is more important than the object itself.
                      • People are a very interesting thing to note; their presence can mean many things. Just because a person is in your dream doesn't mean that they'll be present when the events being foretold take place, which is the general belief. Rather, it can mean that you would want them there, or that they represent something you will need. The presence of a brave friend can be because you'll need your courage; a wise friend could mean you'll need wisdom.

Homework: Spend some time Fire Gazing and attempt to interpret what you see. Make a record of it, and attempt to interpret anything of note.

OOC:

Sir Spazalots
      Bradley Goldwind
      Present 0

Miss Gryffindork
      Lyre Lytrix
      Present 0

[quote="XxXDevil-Chan]Ruka Theresia
      Present 0

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
      • Demonic Associate 100
      • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
      • Demonic Associate 100
      • WilyTrickster 50
      PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:36 pm
      User Image
      CURRENTLY // Looking Distracted in her Classroomspace
      CURRENTLY // singlespaces
      CURRENTLY FEELING // Curiousspacespa
      CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Now, let's see who will See...' spacespac

☩ ☩ ☩ But what is this, that I cant see?
      With ice cold hands taking hold of me...
      ☩ ☩ ☩

spaceDrusilla had placed candles out on the four tables at the front of the class, ready for the lesson at hand. She couldn't help but wonder if any of the students taking this lesson had the aptitude to See anything in the flame and smoke. She waited for the students to arrive, and then smiled, her arms opening in a welcoming gesture. This lesson was a true test, not just to whether or not a student could See, but also if they took the lesson seriously. "Hello, students! I'd like you all to read the notes on the board, and preferably write them down as well. Then, I will guide you through a meditative exercise to clear your mind, after which you will each gaze into the lit candle on your desk and take note of what you see, if anything." She sat on her desk, crossing her legs in a relaxed seated position, and waited patiently. When the quills had stopped and the eyes were on her, she smiled.

"Alright, now, I'd like you all to sit in your seat like so, or on the floor, if you like. Take a deep breathe through your nose, filling your lungs until you can take in no more air, and then slowly release the air through your mouth. Do this again, and again, relaxing your mind and body. Clear your mind of any images, any thoughts. Calm yourself, center your being. When you feel you are relaxed, a blank slate, open your eyes, gaze into the flame, and See." She watched carefully, eyeing their expressions. Waiting to see if anyone would truly See anything.

☩ ☩ ☩ When God is gone and the Devil takes hold,
                                                              Who will have mercy on your soul?
                                                              ☩ ☩ ☩

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
      Other Stuff