Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
God and confusion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 am
If God is not the author of confusion, what about the Tower of Babel?

Confused languages (Gen. 11:8-9) - "So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city. 9Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth."

Not the author of confusion (1 Cor. 14:33) - "For God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints,"

This isn't a difficult issue at all. On one hand, God is not the author of confusion: "For God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints," (1 Cor. 14:33). The context of this verse is dealing with the gift of tongues as were spoken in Christian churches in its early years. Foreigners would attend these churches and hear their own languages being spoken. There would often be interpretations of these tongues. Also, Christians would be over eager in their use of various tongues and this would often lead to confusion as people did not do things in order. Therefore, in the immediate verses prior to (1 Cor. 14:33), Paul had just given instruction on the proper use of the tongues in the church, a use which stated order and sequence. The goal was not to produce a confusion among the hearers so that they would not understand the gospel. Instead, it was to produce an orderly service of worship.

The context of the Tower of Babel is quite different. The people of the earth were attempting to build a tower that would "...reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name; lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth." (Gen. 11:4). The sin of the people was their great pride. They were seeking to remain one group in one location under their own efforts. Ultimately, this was a defiance of God's proclamation to fill the earth (Gen. 9:1). God wanted them to spread out. "So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city. 9Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth," (Gen. 11:8-9). Therefore, there is no contradiction since each is a different context and a different subject.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:12 am
Essentially, when communicating his will to people who revere him, he wants things to be orderly and clear; when dealing with wicked people, God will bring confusion upon the wicked party on purpose to impede their evil act.

I'm also reminded of:

Exodus 23:27 (NIV)

27 “I will send my terror ahead of you and throw into confusion every nation you encounter. I will make all your enemies turn their backs and run.

Samuel 14:20 (NIV)

20 Then Saul and all his men assembled and went to the battle. They found the Philistines in total confusion, striking each other with their swords.

Confusion is for God's enemies/people acting like his enemies, in disobedience to his ways, (and by extensions Israel's enemies); clarity, on the otherhand, is for God's friends. The closer a friend, the more clear he'll be (thus why he spoke in parables to the public, yet clearly explained the parables to his disciples; why he spoke in dreams to other prophets, but face-to-face with Moses).

Exodus 33:11 (NIV)

The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.

Numbers 12:6-8 (NIV)

6 he said, “Listen to my words:

“When there is a prophet among you,
      I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions,
      I speak to them in dreams.
      7 But this is not true of my servant Moses;
      he is faithful in all my house.
      8 With him I speak face to face,
      clearly and not in riddles;
      he sees the form of the Lord.
      Why then were you not afraid
      to speak against my servant Moses?”

Matthew 13:10-11 (NIV)

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

Enemies in confusion; Friends in clarity. 3nodding  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Christian apologetics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas