Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
What're your thoughts on online dating? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

本当に?!
  Dafuq?! English please!!!
View Results

Miku-Marmalade

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:43 pm
I think it's fun to play with(as long as safety is practiced)
But to find a lifetime partner… meh not thinking it's a high chance.

So have you done so before?

I have some profiles online but have yet to find someone decent. Guess that's my luck? XD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:26 pm
i personally think it's kinda weird, but that could just be me watching too much catfish, lol. i just can't take online dating sites seriously. i sometimes like to make accounts on senior dating sites for the lulz. anyway, if the dating stays online, then that just seems really awkward to me (i need a physical aspect to my relationships as well as all the other stuff), and i doubt most people could keep something going for long without being able to at least physically see the person (sometimes, i guess, but it's neither common nor easy). but if you meet online, then IRL and end up hitting it off, then more power to you. i know a couple who met on eharmony, have been married for almost 10 years now, and have 2 kids (you're welcome for the free advertising, eharmony), so i guess it works for some people. it's just not for me.  

thisaintmydesign

Hygienic Hunter

6,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 am
Works for some, doesn't for others.

I had a friend in high school who was in a long-distance relationship with a guy.

They live together now have been going strong for over a decade now.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:12 am
SKYPE SKYPE SKYPE and SKYPE some more, with a webcam and voice of course.

I met my fiancée online 4 years ago, he moved all the way to Australia from Ohio USA to be with me, and things are still amazing after living together over 3 and a half years.

people just gotta be honest and all that,

When you meet the right person, you meet the right person, never let a chance like that get away no matter how it presents itself.  

AmeliaParadox

Perfect Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Full closet 200

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:22 am
The interwebs are just another medium for socializing and interacting with individuals, though done so over a greater distance and transcending language and cultural barriers.

As far as internet dating goes I think the concept is fine but, personally, I'm inclined to believe that no one should come onto the internet and lurk around for the sole purpose of finding "love."

Dating is a tricky thing in of itself and not everyone is cut out for long-distance relationships.

I'm entirely open to the idea and would never write someone off as a potential significant other simply because they live hundreds of miles away from me.

I do think people need to be realistic in these instances, however, and be very mindful; don't "Catfish" yourself. You do have to be your own Devil's Advocate and I think you should always be somewhat skeptical.

Also, it's necessary that you don't divulge too much personal information right off the bat. Get to know this person as well as possible before throwing it out there that you live -insert city/state/etc- and you work at -insert place of employment-

In general, to whom ever this concerns, just be smart about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:09 pm
I met my boyfriend through an online dating site. We've been going strong for almost half a year now. I've met the vast majority of the rest of my gay friends on online dating sites. I have no complaints.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Mosher117

Generous Receiver

7,200 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:20 pm
lgtenos

I wish you great luck! blaugh Which dating site did you use?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:27 pm
I'm absolutely terrified by the mere thought of physically introducing myself. So the concept of online dating does sound really alluring.

I've never dated online, but if I get board I probably will make a profile and see what happens.  

Mosher117

Generous Receiver

7,200 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:55 pm
Its nice to have something bloom from a good friendship online...personally that's where I see it should start. I was friends with this girl for three years on and off the net before things got really serious (I live in Ontario Canada and she lives in Michigan).  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm
I have had bad experiences with online dating. But maybe that's cause i pick bad people to online date with.. I suppose it might work for some people.  

PlayBones

Shadowy Hunter

10,950 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Bidding War 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:27 pm
I am personally not into if it can be helped. I got caught up in an online relationship once before and we seemed to hit it off and wanted it go farther as we seemed to have a lot in common and didn't live too far. He supposedly was going to some college and working as a chef and actually started calling, but it ended badly due to lies about being married when before he claimed he just broken up with his last girlfriend and said they were never that serious. I don't know what was the truth or what was lies. He started ignoring me and I was the one that ended up confronting him when I figured it out (which didn't take me very long at all).

But it had worked out for some. My aunt met her husband online. So it isn't impossible or always turn out bad, but it can be risky as well. It depends a lot on the people and situation.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:28 pm
I usually stay away from online dating. I prefer to meet someone in person and get to know them that way. I think if I did want to do online dating I would use it as a last resort.  

DiscordWhovian

Junior Genius

4,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Member 100

weswissa

4,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 am
I've done online dating, and it worked for like 5 months... but we weren't right for each other, but they can work.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:13 pm
it doesn't work unless you plan on eventually move forward and meet the actual person. It's hard to let go of someone that has so much chemistry with you but are just in another part of the world that has a different lifestyle. Not speaking out of my a** because I met a great girl online, but had to call it off because we were at different life stages and with our priorities.

But on another note, it's hard to let go sometimes, so don't get too caught up in one, there are lots of fishes in the ocean just right in front of your back yard.  

Battlefield Angel Mercy

Dangerous Smoker

5,300 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tipsy 100

chaoskaye

Obsessive Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm
Personally, I believe online dating can help you build a strong connection with someone else and fall in love with their personality above their looks.
But.. That's only if you can stand the distance and be willing to actually meet the other person.

With that being said..
I met a girl online about a year ago, we immediately hit it off and started dating. Almost a year later we're still together and actually going to see each other next month, it'll also be the month of our anniversary.
Deep within my heart I believe her and I were just meant to be together, as cliche and cheesy as it may sound. As crazy as it may sound.. She really is the love of my life, she's my everything.
But.. That's just my personal experience on the subject.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff