Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:36 pm
sorry I wasn't sure what category to put this into sweatdrop

I wanted to talk about people's experiences with moving out of your parents house and that kind of thing.
I mean, right at this very second I am not ready to live on my own, and I don't have the means to support myself, but I want to get to live on my own.
Actually if I had the ability to support myself on my own I know where I want to live, I just don't even know how to tell my parents that I want to live on my own, and I have a few things to sort out in my life before I can move out.

But in everyone else's experiences, was it difficult to start living on your own? How did your parents react to you wanting to move out? Do you live with roommates/is it difficult to live with roommates (especially if you don't know someone too well)?

Yeah, that's basically it.
Discuss, share, converse smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 am
User Image User Image

Well, I can't say I've really moved out of our house, but based from what I saw with my siblings, it was pretty, well, painful.
      I mean, my parents were supportive. They were old enough to support themselves, and they have the means to do it. But of course, a parent will always be a parent and it pains them to see their kid leaving their protection.

In my siblings' case, they all had talks with my parents, explaining the reason why they want to move out (like they want to try things out for themselves, etc.). Oh and, be prepared to try and have your parents dissuade you from what you want because they just might do that. They'll tell you all the reasons why you shouldn't move out. In which case you have to put your foot down on your stand. So I guess it's okay to have that kind of talk with them when you're absolutely 100% sure that you're ready to stand on your own two feet. Because the moment they see that you're hesitant, they'll pounce on it like hungry tigers.

But I do think it also depends on the culture of where you're living. I got those experiences because it's not really a custom here to leave your parent's house. That usually happens only when you're going to be married in which case it's kind of a necessity to move out of the house. But like in other countries, young adults usually leave their parent's house early because it's kind of a right of passage for them so parents don't really make a fuss when it's time to leave.

User ImageUser Image

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

KinaMorii

Friendly Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:33 am
My parents didn't seem to have much faith in me when I told them I was getting a place with my fiancee. And they were right the first time we moved in together. But it only took us a year or so to be back on our feet again.

This is something you're really going to have to stick to your guns about. Like Louisa Iris said, they'll probably try to talk you out of it. You might want to start the conversation about it a little early on like: "So, when I move out someday...."  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 am
I moved out a month after I turned 18, I had 2,500$ saved up from a previous job, it was supposed to be for a car but that didn't happen until later. (Plus that's kind of a shitty car anyway)

It wasn't so bad, I mean I struggled here and there, went hungry a few days but it was manageable. I lived on my own for almost a year before dating my BF (he owns the house I was renting originally so we just live in the same place together)
It's much easier if you have room mates, especially if they're good friends. Expenses add up quicker than you think too, trust me.

I didn't tell my mom I was moving, I just moved one night, I was hardly home. I told her and she cried....it was awkward.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:48 pm
I moved out at 17, with a crazy ex.
Did not go well at all, Hardly any AC in the house during 110 degree heat, no food half the time, he wouldn't get a decent job, my car wasn't legal.
It just got worse and worse, then I went back home.
I say stay at your parents for as long as you can, until they get sick of you.
Take advantage of the free ride, and during that time hoard money like no other.
Get your s**t straight before you even think about leaving.
Don't be like me, I couldn't even afford ramen noodles.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:28 pm
That completely depends on your situation.

For myself, I got married just after graduating from college and moved in with the the in-laws until I found a job with steady hours (waitressing sucks, btw, except tips are great between paychecks.) We did pay for all of our expenses and helped out around the house, so we were not freeloading.

Right now we're renting from his sister (bimonthly, thank God) while my husband finishes school.

Finding a hard working roomie (i.e., my husband) is basically the only way to go unless your monthly income greatly exceeds the rent (split or high income is what landlords price for.)

You also have to factor in bills, like for internet, phone, w/s/g. Also, budgeting for gas, groceries, etc.

I would recommend starting out slow first. I worked two jobs and bought my own groceries, clothes, toiletries, etc. while living with my parents. My husband paid his own insurance, phone bill, gas, etc. etc. etc.

Moving out is a double-edged sword. It's hard because your friends living with their parents don't get that you can't go out every Friday night; that you've gotta say no to this and that to conserve on gas. They complain about how overbearing their parents are, how they have ooooh so many chores that their mom nags the about. They have no real life concept of self discipline. What it's like to micromanage your budget to make sure you can pay for groceries without that horrific moment when your card declines at the register (especially after meticulously following your list and calculating the exact amount that all the items should come to.) There's no one to remind you and your roomie(s) to pay the bills on time, change the oil in your car, wake up in time for work, go to bed early enough to not be half asleep at work, wash the dishes, change that load out before your clothes start molding....

BUT independence is something to take pride in.

On another note, just talk with your parents. Be frank, but nice about it. They will want to protect you, and it will be awkward and sad for awhile, but parents do understand.

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS
Vice Captain

Original Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 am
Moving to home and garden sub heart  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:43 pm
my moving experience was.... ok I wonted to be with my bf and was having issues at home ( me and my sister fighting) so I moved in with him his mom was fairly nice about it . I dident have much to stuff so moving was easy  

miaxloveless210

Axendra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 pm
The initial cost expense buying all the furniture, cookware, fridge, washing machine etc. but depends on what quality your happy with from cheap but ok to high quality dramatically affects that cost. Don't forget depending on where you rent cost of bond can be a bit like a months rent.. I hate bond leaves a chunk of $ tired up that you can't get back to you move.. but if renting somewhere else just means another bond anyways so not like you get it back really.  
06. ✿ - - - Home, Garden & Appliances

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games