Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
Just to get something out of my system...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MonkeyGirl188

Friendly Friend

10,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:39 pm
I'm just posting to get this out, so I don't mind getting any replies, but feel free to...

I don't really post much about the problems in my life because they usually get resolved quickly. But right now I'm just getting not only tired but annoyed that I seem to not get a job. I've applied to every place in my town *which is rather small and rather difficult to get a job in* and I've tried a lot of places in surrounding counties. I've been to 6 interviews at 5 places and one I got all the way to the 2nd interview but after that they never called me about getting the position, this was for UPS. The other 3 I've been to were for Wal-Mart *2 different Wal-Marts*, Krogers and Dairy Queen. Never heard back from them. Then I NEVER heard back from the ones I turned an application in to and some of them were hiring. I'm getting tired of filling out application after application and never landing my FIRST job and I've been trying to get one since I was 16....and I'm 18 now. And because of that I don't have any job experience and I do say I've done volunteer work. I've done plenty of those, which should say that I do things rather than sit on my butt all day not doing anything, but it seems that they don't care. It almost says to me that they don't want to give a person some experience in a way. It seems all the "popular kids" get the jobs the easiest. For me, sometimes I have a hard time answering the questions they ask me because I just don't know that to say and I feel it's just the way I look too. I refuse to wear makeup because it feels weird to me and I don't want to spend time putting on makeup and all. Also the fact that I AM overweight, even if it's just a few pounds, I guess it makes me look lazy or something. I don't know. And it's got to a point that my dad says that if I don't have a job by a certain date then I'm getting kicked out. HE doesn't know how hard it is for a person with NO job experience to get a job. He doesn't seem to realize that I've tried. I also get so nervous during a job interview that I don't speak clearly and that I get a stomach ache when it gets close to the job interview. There is simply no arguing with him, no trying to tell him your side of the story, which might be the truth because he thinks you're back talking. It's got to a point of me staying in my room until he leaves and something else that I don't want to talk about it. He scares me, my mom is the only one who really understands me the most which I'm happy about. And many places I've applied to more than once. I believe places like McDonalds I've applied to them at least 5 times already. Never heard back from any of the 2 McDonalds in my town. I'm completely tired and annoyed by all of this but I need to get some money to get gas, to save for school, get things I NEED like school supplies and any personal things. And so I can stop relying on my parents for so much money for trips with my venturing crew and youth group that I either want or love to attend. I feel like I've wasted so much time going to interviews and not getting the job. I know it's important to go to interviews but of the, I'm going to count 2 for one because the 2 were the same place, 5 interviews, I should have gotten one of them. And I absolutely hate it when people say to lie or whatever, to say something they WANT to hear during an interview because I can't make myself lie to an interviewer and I don't want to do so on my application because my dad wants to see them which I think he should just let me take care of it myself. I'M looking for a job, NOT him. I just don't know how I'm going to get one before the time comes on whether I get kicked out or not. crying gonk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 pm
MonkeyGirl188

Hii !!! I understand how you feel I've been through this.
I agree to not lie in interview but there are ways that you can say things that looks better without lying.

For example, let's say you got an interview for a position as a cashier.
In the interview they'll ask you : Do you have any job experience for this position ?

You would say No I haven't.
But here you can add arguments that can make them hire you.
You can say : No I haven't, but I am someone that is hardworking. I volunteer at X place and they appreciate my hard work they compliment me often. I have good interpersonal skills, I am organized, I can give a good customer service because ________.

Basically, you tell reasons why they should hire you even if you don't have experience. Tell things that really happen what I wrote was an example.
So, tell your strengths and give example.

Also, the person wants you to know what are the tasks of the positions. So they won't feel that you just blindly apply to a job that you don't know what it is.

So, it is good to say things like : I know to be a cashier requires to give a good customer service and I know I can do it because I am polite, patient (....)....

If you got interviews it means they were interested in meeting you. It also means that your resume must be well written and interesting. The reason why you didn't get hired, maybe something went wrong in the interview. You can always call one week later. Saying Hi ! I am X. We had an interview last week. I am very interested for this position. Is the position filled yet ? (If Yes, ask why)

If the reason is that you don't have job experience and they chose you over someone who has. You can say. One of your greatest strength why they should hire you and if there are a open position next time you are still interested

There are jobs that people prefer to hire someone who has experiences. However, if they like your personallity and how you convince them that's how you get more chance to get the job.

For example, if someone that is very nervous in an interview will not get the job. People like to hire someone that is confident and persuasive.
-------
Keep trying !!! Don't give up !!
Someone will give you the opportunity!!!  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:49 pm
It's ok if you don't want your dad to look over your application. You want to be independent.

However, I like to get feedback so I can improve.

If you are going to college. Try to apply for job at your college. They hire students to work at the cafeteria for example or the library.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:19 pm
Well it looks like XxAriaxX has covered the jist of it. I would definitly do call backs for these jobs. Calling back shows that you are determined and persistant. Maybe you will get lucky and the company has fired someone that day.

Also, I would reconsider that whole wearing makeup thing. If you look nice and well made up for an interview that can give you an edge over others. Especially if this a job that is face to face with customers, where the employers need you to be friendly and approachable. You say make-up is weird, maybe you just haven't found the right brand for you yet?

One last thing, it sounds like you are doing a lot of applying online. Have you tried asking around in person? I find talking with the manager or boss at whatever establishment you are trying for is more effective than online.  

Meline Moon

MonkeyGirl188

Friendly Friend

10,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 am
Meline Moon
Also, I would reconsider that whole wearing makeup thing. If you look nice and well made up for an interview that can give you an edge over others. Especially if this a job that is face to face with customers, where the employers need you to be friendly and approachable. You say make-up is weird, maybe you just haven't found the right brand for you yet?

One last thing, it sounds like you are doing a lot of applying online. Have you tried asking around in person? I find talking with the manager or boss at whatever establishment you are trying for is more effective than online.

1. I think it's because I'm not used to wearing makeup. = Just more I just don't like it.

2. I've done both online and paper applications..... But when it comes to talking with the manager, I never know what to say because the nerves get to me and I'm a shy person.

XxAriaxX
It's ok if you don't want your dad to look over your application. You want to be independent.

However, I like to get feedback so I can improve.

If you are going to college. Try to apply for job at your college. They hire students to work at the cafeteria for example or the library.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have jobs because it's a REALLY SMALL community college. They have no cafeteria and I'm pretty sure they have everything taken care of idk but I'm not going there long. Only a year and then I'm moving out of my town to a different college. I mean, yeah, it's experience, but I'm not even sure if I'd be able to go a second semester anyways...

And for feedback, if it weren't for my dad making rude comments on my applications and actually HELP me, I wouldn't mind. But he already got to a point where he scares me and that's not good. I try to fix things though, but I'm slow at things and I never seem to get help from him if anything.  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games