Submit

-Explosion-Array-

Feral Warlord

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 pm
I've been getting back into them and hopping around on a few of them! Any of you folks play them? XD  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:22 pm
For years I played an online text-based strategy war game called Dominion. It was built around 50 day long rounds, with exploration and invasion used to expand the total size of your territory, and groups of players each taking different races (like goblins or trolls) and working together as parts of "realms".

At the end of each round, the biggest single dominion (the player with the most acres of land under their control) was the winner, then everything would reset and after a few days a new round would begin.

It had a very tight messageboard community, and despite the fact that thousands of people played there wound up being a selection of regulars that all knew each other. It had more inside jokes, interesting conversations, and genuine feeling of community than any other game I've ever played.

Sadly, the playerbase gradually dwindled, and eventually the admin shut the game down. I'm still Facebook friends with several people I met in the game, though, and occasionally somebody will nostalgically bring it up again. Additionally, both of my brothers played, and my best friend, though only myself and one of my brothers ever got very serious about it.

Personally, I had a fair amount of success in it. I'm one of only 50 or so players who won a round (which was a tied victory with my brother) and in the lifetime rankings, I was well within the top 100 at the time the site closed (somewhere around 50th-60th) despite the fact that it counted all rounds played and I had a habit of only playing every other round.

I miss that game.  

Volvy

Non-Gaia Websites Online Gaming & Video Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces