Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Photo Section
Do You Take Photos of Cosplayers at Cons? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm
Hi everyone,

I have been Cosplaying and going to Anime/Cosplay conventions since the Fall of 2009. I have now gone to 8 conventions and have taken photos of Cosplayers at all of them. I'm now an experienced Semi Pro Cosplay Photographer. Each convention I get even better and I'm even starting to do photoshoots. I never cease to be amazed at the variety and craftsmanship of all of the outfits. Gaiaonline is not the best site for showcasing Cosplay Photos so I've created both a Deviant Art photography page and a Facebook photography page. If you are interested in checking out my work please let me know.

On this thread I'm curious who has taken photos of Cosplayers at cons and why. For me photography is one of my favorite hobbies and having cosplayers easily and eagerly posing for me at cons is very exciting.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm
I've only been to one con so far, so I spent most of my time gaping at everything, but I did take a pic of an NCIS Abby cosplay ou o
And maybe one other? I have to upload, I'm behind -.-l|l  

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:55 pm
I take pictures, mainly to look at the various walks of life that take on this art.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 pm
Sifen Yamishi
I take pictures, mainly to look at the various walks of life that take on this art.

Isn't it amazing how many different Cosplay outfits their are. Many are hand made. Yes, at the cons their is definitely a good cross section of life. It's nice that we can all come together to have a good time for a change. When I take my photos of the Cosplayers I don't focus on fancy settings with my camera. I instead focus on my subjects.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:09 pm
Shannon Kyra Liannanon
I've only been to one con so far, so I spent most of my time gaping at everything, but I did take a pic of an NCIS Abby cosplay ou o
And maybe one other? I have to upload, I'm behind -.-l|l

I never cease to be amazed at all of the stuff that you can buy and all of the cosplayers dressed up in so many different outfits. Most of their outfits are of their favorite anime / manga characters. Every convention I take a lot of photos and I have fun identifying the characters and the series that they are from afterwards. Due to that I have a lot of DVD's of Anime series that I got curious about after I took photos of Cosplayers dressed up as characters from those series.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm
Yup. I tend to be a little shy coming up to someone randomly but if they're already posing I tend to go ahead and snap a photo. I've been asked to pose as well and it makes me feel all self conscious and start thinking 'did i really do a good job with this, or what about that one seam that was falling apart- can they see that?' but overall it makes me happy because I put a lot of work into my cosplay and I'm glad someone appreciates it.  

hollow_lizard

Wheezing Cat

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pieversity 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:11 pm
hollow_lizard
Yup. I tend to be a little shy coming up to someone randomly but if they're already posing I tend to go ahead and snap a photo. I've been asked to pose as well and it makes me feel all self conscious and start thinking 'did i really do a good job with this, or what about that one seam that was falling apart- can they see that?' but overall it makes me happy because I put a lot of work into my cosplay and I'm glad someone appreciates it.

Please note that this reply is a little bit lengthy but I feel that you will find it interesting:

I was shy at my first con. One because it was my first time Cosplaying (A Star Trek outfit) and it was the first time that I saw Cosplayers. I was very surprised at how easily and eagerly Cosplayers posed for photos. Yes, there were shy cosplayers as well and they didn't know what to do, let alone pose so I didn't feel that I was the only one that felt that way.

At my first con I was asked by over 50 people who wanted to take my photo. I thought, they want to take my photo. I didn't know what to do since I'm usually on the other side of the camera. Apparently I did something right because they were satisfied with the photos that they took of me. smile

So to break the ice I started to do photo exchanges. A cosplayer wanted to take my photo and I said sure but you have to pose for me too. It worked and I became hooked on both cosplaying and taking photos of Cosplayers.

I have been a photographer since I was a kid and over the years I took photos of everything but people. So I was very happy that I could finally take photos of Cosplayers who make incredible outfits. Over the years I have gotten really good at Cosplay Photography. I found a new talent. smile I consider myself to be Semi Pro and I now do photoshoots and put Cosplayers at ease by complementing their wonderful work that they did on their outfits.

To me it doesn't matter if it's their first con or they are very experienced. I Love how the Cosplayers literally glow and are so happy just to be at the con. Most Love the character that they are portraying and it shows up in my photos. For over a year I have been posting my photos on my Deviant Art page and I have fans from all over the World!! Even the Anime / Manga main artist of the Sailor Moon series likes some of the photos that I have taken of Sailor Moon Cosplayers. Wow what an honor. smile Believe it or not all of this happened in just 4 years. I went from being very shy to becoming a Semi Pro Cosplay Photographer who is almost completely at ease taking photos.

Some advice for you: You don't need to be overly concerned about a pose not being right or a seam or something in your outfit being out of place. The main reason that someone wants to take a photo of you is that they either like the character that you are portraying and or they are really liking your Cosplay outfit in general.

As for being shy about having you photo taken. As you go to more and more cons you will eventually feel at ease because most of the people at the cons are happy and having a good time. I found that most cosplayers don't discriminate for any reason. Even though I'm almost 50 years old I don't feel out of place at the cons because I respect all of the people at the cons the same as they respect me. It's really nice to be easily accepted in a large group.

As for photo taking. It's easy to take a photo of someone right after another person did but to be courteous I still ask if it's Ok if I take a photo too. I respect other people's time so I do my best to not take up much of their time. It's a different story with photoshoots. I have done several now and as you can imagine it's a lot of work. At a recent one the cosplayer just stood their and waited for me to pose her. First thing I thought, oh no what do I do. So I thought about the character that they were dressed up as and it went slow at first but then I felt more confident as I took more and more photos because I would stop at certain points and let the Cosplayer look at the photos done so far. She liked it and my confidence went way up. Wow, she likes my work. It's a wonderful feeling to have and adds so much to my con experience. Most people just take random shots so I tend to get a crowd when I do photoshoots.

During photoshoots people have come up and asked to take a photo of my subject. Instead of jumping up and down and tell them to go away, I smile and say sure you can take a photo. I've gotten really popular that way. I know that this is long winded but I hope that you have gotten something out of what I wrote. If you want to check out my photos please let me know and I will reply with a link to my photo pages. Good luck with your cosplaying, photo taking and remember to have fun.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:16 am
Wow! Someone as long winded as I am! In character, I should say "I hate it when someone has a bigger mouth than I do." But in fact, I like it when someone has something to say. I hate spending more time getting to a post than reading it.

In response to the original post, Yes I do take pictures. I took a lot more when I first started than I have in more recent years, but i think that's true of most places I go.

For the most part, my reasoning/criteria for taking a picture is usually because i want to show someone else. But underlying what i want to show others is usually that I like the character or a friend of mine does. Along with that is usually good craftsmanship and/or originality. If I see a decent rendition of a character I like and an amazing rendition of someone I've never seen, I'll usually go for the "amazing" one. However, rare characters and shows often trump all of that. since I tend to do things people don't recognize, I appreciate people that strike out there as well.

Still, that's hypothetically speaking if I have to choose one. Usually if I have to pass a costume up, I'll keep my eyes peeled and they make it higher on my priority.

As for the whole "beginner" thing, I think we all had that period. I still don't think I've totally gotten out of it. I know that "vanity" is my vice, so I often find myself trying to suppress it in it's obvious forms... like photos. (My vanity also makes me hate most photos of myself. sweatdrop )

But we are cosplayers. No matter how "good" it turns out, we worked hard and have the right to show a little vanity and confidence. We particularly owe it to the people that worked up the courage to ask us for a picture.

So strike a pose. Half the time, one we used playing power rangers as kids will do. And if not, they might ask you for something else, or just go with it. It's not a picture you have to look at anyway.

Actually, I have few good pictures of my own cosplay. But I've gotten my Akira worked out pretty well by now (I wear him a lot). And some people will even want a picture with you or want you to pose with them. One girl even bowed to my Loki.

I know that I've asked people to do things like "turn so I can see the sword better." or "Can I get a picture of the back, too?" And even when I don't many people have asked me if I'm finished or if there's anything else I'd like to see. Due to recent... events... cosplayers have earned a rep for being catty, but most of the ones I've met are even better sports than you'd expect them to be. I think one of the most important things is dialogue. Don't be afraid to ask and talk to people, like our OP here.

I've also noticed recently, more posing and photography workshops and panels (as well as more cosplay panels in general) at cons, so check those out too. Several cons i went to in recent years before moving had some more-or-less free photography set-ups so try those out and see if they give you some pose suggestions and what-not. if they're not busy, they are usually willing to spend quite a bit of time with you. If one of the wandering semi-pros asks you, try discretely asking them first if there's a pose they'd like. Most of the time it's in a hallways or something, so they won't be creepy about it. (but if they are, by all means, refuse and walk away. exclaim be safe at cons exclaim )

well, that's my windiness for the day. now, to go and take some of my own advice. sweatdrop  

Nekkid Dante

Invisible Fairy

7,150 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100

dianizz_miau

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:26 pm
I really like to take pictures at cosplayers, sometimes I do it because I love the character and sometimes because the costume is amazing. I'm also shy when it comes to ask for a picture and because of that I sometimes miss the opportunity to have a photo of some amazing cosplay (and when that happens I hate myself razz )

Also I want to say that I find your comments very interesting and helpful biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:24 pm
dianizz_miau
I really like to take pictures at cosplayers, sometimes I do it because I love the character and sometimes because the costume is amazing. I'm also shy when it comes to ask for a picture and because of that I sometimes miss the opportunity to have a photo of some amazing cosplay (and when that happens I hate myself razz )

Also I want to say that I find your comments very interesting and helpful biggrin

Thanks for your complement on my comments. As time goes on I learn more and more about Cosplay Photography and about cons in general. I still tend to be shy at times when I ask someone about taking their picture at other times I'm bold enough to even chase down a Cosplayer that I want to take a photo of really badly. I don't recommend chasing after Cosplayers because it can freak them out. Basically I can get so excited about an outfit I don't want to miss the chance for a photo. Sometimes what I do instead is see if I come across the same Cosplayer again and if the conditions are right ask for a photo. One thing for sure is that I'm still learning and I gladly share what I've learned with others.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 pm
Nekkid Dante
Wow! Someone as long winded as I am! In character, I should say "I hate it when someone has a bigger mouth than I do." But in fact, I like it when someone has something to say. I hate spending more time getting to a post than reading it.

In response to the original post, Yes I do take pictures. I took a lot more when I first started than I have in more recent years, but i think that's true of most places I go.

For the most part, my reasoning/criteria for taking a picture is usually because i want to show someone else. But underlying what i want to show others is usually that I like the character or a friend of mine does. Along with that is usually good craftsmanship and/or originality. If I see a decent rendition of a character I like and an amazing rendition of someone I've never seen, I'll usually go for the "amazing" one. However, rare characters and shows often trump all of that. since I tend to do things people don't recognize, I appreciate people that strike out there as well.

Still, that's hypothetically speaking if I have to choose one. Usually if I have to pass a costume up, I'll keep my eyes peeled and they make it higher on my priority.

As for the whole "beginner" thing, I think we all had that period. I still don't think I've totally gotten out of it. I know that "vanity" is my vice, so I often find myself trying to suppress it in it's obvious forms... like photos. (My vanity also makes me hate most photos of myself. sweatdrop )

But we are cosplayers. No matter how "good" it turns out, we worked hard and have the right to show a little vanity and confidence. We particularly owe it to the people that worked up the courage to ask us for a picture.

So strike a pose. Half the time, one we used playing power rangers as kids will do. And if not, they might ask you for something else, or just go with it. It's not a picture you have to look at anyway.

Actually, I have few good pictures of my own cosplay. But I've gotten my Akira worked out pretty well by now (I wear him a lot). And some people will even want a picture with you or want you to pose with them. One girl even bowed to my Loki.

I know that I've asked people to do things like "turn so I can see the sword better." or "Can I get a picture of the back, too?" And even when I don't many people have asked me if I'm finished or if there's anything else I'd like to see. Due to recent... events... cosplayers have earned a rep for being catty, but most of the ones I've met are even better sports than you'd expect them to be. I think one of the most important things is dialogue. Don't be afraid to ask and talk to people, like our OP here.

I've also noticed recently, more posing and photography workshops and panels (as well as more cosplay panels in general) at cons, so check those out too. Several cons i went to in recent years before moving had some more-or-less free photography set-ups so try those out and see if they give you some pose suggestions and what-not. if they're not busy, they are usually willing to spend quite a bit of time with you. If one of the wandering semi-pros asks you, try discretely asking them first if there's a pose they'd like. Most of the time it's in a hallways or something, so they won't be creepy about it. (but if they are, by all means, refuse and walk away. exclaim be safe at cons exclaim )

well, that's my windiness for the day. now, to go and take some of my own advice. sweatdrop

Hi, thanks for the long response. I enjoyed reading it. Basically I'm in the Experiment phase right now. I try different things and see what works. I've always been shy and it gets in the way sometimes. What seems to help with that problem is that I find it easier to approach a Cosplayer when I'm Cosplaying as well. I'm always curious as to why the person picked their outfit. Also I need to find a balance between talking for a while with a Cosplayer with taking up their time. Sometimes when I look at the photos that I took later on I ask myself and then others, who is that Cosplayers character. At one photoshoot that I joined in on I got the courage to ask one of the girls who she was cosplaying and what series it was from. I had a nice talk with the cosplayer and even setup a private photoshoot with her at the next con.

Poses is something that I'm working on. I have learned a lot about it from joining in on two photoshoots and the one that I did myself. The one that I did myself the girl asked me what I wanted. Thankfully I already had some ideas that I had come up with from watching other Cosplayers pose and I did my homework on the Cosplayers character and what was appropriate in both poses and settings. One of the things that I try to do is see how receptive the Cosplayer is to having their photo taken. If they are not interested I tell them that it's Ok and move on. Sometimes I get a really enthusiastic Cosplayer and ask if I can take additional photos. One time I helped out a Cosplayer learn some new poses that could be used in the future. I got a big thank you for that which made me happy.

I will definitely check out some photography workshops and or panels. I have never had a photography class so the info would be valuable. I don't care much for my photo being taken but friends, family, and "Cosplay" friends want to see what I have come up with so I usually have someone with me that can take photos of me.

I share photos in a big way. I have had a page on Deviant Art for over a year and recently started a Facebook page. I get tremendous praise from artists, Cosplayers, and even other photographers from around the World. That has boosted up my confidence up a lot. You can check out my photography work on my Deviant Art page: http://smithers456.deviantart.com/ If you don't have a Deviant Art account yourself you can still look at my photos you just can't comment on them. If you do check them out I hope that you enjoy looking at them as much as I really liked posting them. You can certainly send me a message here on Gaia or post another comment on this thread to let me know what you think.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 am
yeah, praise can go a long way. and it can feed into itself as well. we're shy at first, but someone praises us, so we go out and do more. more exposure means more praise, so we gain confidence, work harder, and take more risks, and are usually highly rewarded for it, likely along with more praise and recognition. that's really what most of us end up doing it for... you know, right after love of the craft, of course. wink  

Nekkid Dante

Invisible Fairy

7,150 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:32 pm
Nekkid Dante
yeah, praise can go a long way. and it can feed into itself as well. we're shy at first, but someone praises us, so we go out and do more. more exposure means more praise, so we gain confidence, work harder, and take more risks, and are usually highly rewarded for it, likely along with more praise and recognition. that's really what most of us end up doing it for... you know, right after love of the craft, of course. wink

Very nicely said. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 pm
I have always taken pictures of other cosplayers (with their permission, of course --- unless it's like an audience or a field of cosplayers, then it would be impossible to ask everyone then... cat_sweatdrop ) at the various conventions that I have attended.

I usually take pictures of my favorite characters, characters that I have seen in an anime/manga/video game, and/or the outfit looks interesting to me aka I like the outfit. When I first started to take pictures of cosplayers, I kind of felt bad for not taking a picture of someone in a random group that I didn't know the character of or the outfit didn't really interest me, so now I try to take a picture of the entire group.

I've been taking pictures of cosplayers ever since May 2010. For the past two conventions that I have attended, my friends and I did some photo shoots/video footage with each other. Last December, my cosplaying group hosted a local winter photo shoot. At that photo shoot, the other administrator of the group and myself took the pictures.

Even though I managed to get a few 'special' shots from time after time (due to the right moment the light was coming from behind the person and so on), I still would say that I'm an amateur photographer since I mainly focus on being a cosplayer than a photographer.

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:20 pm
KayaLing
I have always taken pictures of other cosplayers (with their permission, of course --- unless it's like an audience or a field of cosplayers, then it would be impossible to ask everyone then... cat_sweatdrop ) at the various conventions that I have attended.

I usually take pictures of my favorite characters, characters that I have seen in an anime/manga/video game, and/or the outfit looks interesting to me aka I like the outfit. When I first started to take pictures of cosplayers, I kind of felt bad for not taking a picture of someone in a random group that I didn't know the character of or the outfit didn't really interest me, so now I try to take a picture of the entire group.

I've been taking pictures of cosplayers ever since May 2010. For the past two conventions that I have attended, my friends and I did some photo shoots/video footage with each other. Last December, my cosplaying group hosted a local winter photo shoot. At that photo shoot, the other administrator of the group and myself took the pictures.

Even though I managed to get a few 'special' shots from time after time (due to the right moment the light was coming from behind the person and so on), I still would say that I'm an amateur photographer since I mainly focus on being a cosplayer than a photographer.

Looks like you are off to a good start. I'm the opposite of yourself. I do Cosplay and have 3 outfits and I'm looking into creating a 4th one. My main focus is taking photos of Cosplayers. I have come a long way since I started this exciting new hobby / interest. I have been a regular photographer since I was a kid. Cosplay photography for me is a dream come true because photography in general is one of my top hobbies, I Love costumes and now Cosplay outfits due to being born on Halloween, and I finally get really good chances to take photos of people posing for me. Something I haven't done before. I'm starting to do Photoshoots for the first time and it's really exciting. To do a photoshoot properly I research both the character that the Cosplayer is dressed up as and the anime series that the character is from. I have many fans on my Deviant Art page. Feel free to check out my work at http://smithers456.deviantart.com/ If you are not a member of DA you can still check out my page but you will not be able to comment on anything. If you don't have a DA page it's worth the time to start one. You can showcase both photos of your Cosplay outfits and the ones that you take of others. Good luck in all that you do.  
Photo Section

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff