Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Did God ignore my prayer?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Firelit Inspiration

Dedicated Friend

7,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:21 pm
Last night, I prayed in Christ's name for a good day today at work where I would encounter no hostilty from my coworkers/managers. Everything was going great until toward the end of my shift when I got chewed out for messing up on something for a second time and being told that I should have learned better by now. And now I'm afraid I'm going to be fired soon for not living up to their standards.

Just, what happened? I'm in disbelief that God would ignore a prayer having to do with keeping my job, especially since I prayed in Christ's name. It just doesn't make any sense. I thought all prayers said in Christ's name were answered. Did God ignore my prayer? And if so, is it because I did something wrong that affected today's outcome?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 pm

So I think the important thing to remember here is that God is not a genie. I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with your prayer, and Christ's name *DOES* have *A TON* of power to it.

AND when we pray, God does hear us. He isn't ignoring us. He answers our prayers.

The problem is, He isn't always going to give you the answer you want Him to give.

This could be for various more specific reasons, maybe you'll find out later on, but the biggest reason for it is that HE knows what is best for your life.

We can go into the job part in a little bit, let's just focus on the Prayer & God part.

Ask yourself these questions, do you believe that God is sovereign? (i.e. All powerful, all knowing, perfect, good, etc.)

If the answer is yes, then don't you believe that He knows what is going to be best for you in your life? I mean, He already knows your steps before you take them.
(Psalms 139:13-18 comes to mind right off. )

The next question is, do you trust Him?

Because God didn't say our lives are going to be easy.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33---- 16 is a great chapter, I recommend it. biggrin )

If you have read the book Job, right before psalms, then you know the story about the near perfect man. He was the closest to being perfect than anybody else. And yet God allowed everything in his life to be taken away. His kids, his wealth (super rich dude), his land, his health. Why? To bring God glory. (You should read it in your spare time, it's a good story.)

Maybe going to a different job will help. Maybe God wants you to use this experience to lean on him more. If you pray every time you have a problem, and God fixes your problem, then what kind of story is that? How can we teach others God's love and glory and character, if we don't display it ourselves, and how can we display it when we are never presented the opportunity. Anyone can be calm and happy and such when not going through a difficult time.

I guess my next question for you to think about on your own would be, is God enough for you? That even if you lost everything, would HE ALONE be enough for you?

Because I'll be honest with you, there are times when I don't believe that He is enough for me. The flip side of that statement I made is that it's a lie of the devil. God is always enough.

So if you don't believe it, ask Him to show you. I would also encourage you to always talk it out with God. Don't be afraid to get angry with Him or tell Him you don't believe something. He will answer you, and how can you forge a deep relationship with Him if you are not honest first?

(I think it's Psalm 19:12-13, but there might be another one... ) <- It talks about God knowing the hidden sins of ours. God knows the things we do wrong that we may not even notice. As a Christian, it is our goal to become more Christ-like, so that we may lead others to salvation and the AWESOME relationship we have with Jesus. So one of those reasons he may not answer a prayer is to help you grow. (I don't know how or in what way, nor do I confess to know, but it is a possibility.)

So, I encourage you not to think that God is ignoring you, because He's not.

And as for if you did something wrong, I actually don't know. I don't think so. At least not of what you've told us. Either way, while God does discipline us, (which that is a good thing, go read Rev. 3:19), I'm sure that he will reveal what it is that you are doing wrong if you ask him. (If you are doing anything wrong at all--- that may not even be the case. :O )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------SORRY THIS IS SO LOOONG.

As for your job situation...... UHM.... I don't really know the circumstances for what is going on... BUT...

Regardless... I believe that if you continue to do your best to act and react how Christ does, you will be fine. That doesn't mean that you won't mess up again, but it does mean that you will continue to work hard to do things the way they instruct you to do, not letting your temper or frustration affect the way you handle things. (Sometimes in those situations we need to ask God for help on handling them like he would. And we need to take them as learning opportunities. )

I would say keep doing your best to do things like Christ would. You know, hard work, integrity, love. Be a servant, and listen and such. Don't worry about being fired or living up to a standard as much. Just focus on bettering yourself everyday as much as you can. Perhaps one day you will be much better than their standard.

The reason I say don't focus as much on "will I get fired" is because I don't think that God would want you to think that way... I think he would rather you focus more on, "how can I improve?" and such. More positive things. Heck, I think he might also want you to lean on him in those times where you are having trouble doing whatever it is you "should have learned".

Don't give up. Keep trying, no matter the outcome. Do what you can.

I actually had a verse for you on that, but now I can't remember it. :I

-----------------------------

ANYWAYS. I'LL END THIS SUPER LONG RESPONSE WITH A COUPLE OF NIFTY VERSES. biggrin

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6)

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
(Phil. 4:4-7/// If you are worrying, you should be praying; If you are praying you shouldn't be worrying-- Hard, I know, but don't give up. )

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thess. 5:16-1 cool

---- Don't give up, my friend, because no matter what, God loves you. -----

hafunny

Magnetic Cleric

10,225 Points
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

hafunny

Magnetic Cleric

10,225 Points
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:38 pm
I AM SO SORRY THAT WAS SO LONG OMGOODNESS FUDGE! :I

Edit: But I hope it helps. :U  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 am
Hafunny summed it up pretty well. Joy isn't based on circumstances so we should count it joy when situations like that come up. It's another opportunity to trust God and to increase your patience and character. The day is still good because you have a job to go to, life, health, etc. No matter how other people act, you can control yourself and He gives you the joy and long-suffering to be able to deal with it. Even if He does allow you to be fired still trust God because He knows what he's doing.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:05 am
hafunny

Christ's name *DOES* have *A TON* of power to it.

So I think the important thing to remember here is that God is not a genie.

AND when we pray, God does hear us. He isn't ignoring us. He answers our prayers.

So agree with Hafunny~

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Jeremiah 29:11–13
11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

Remember that God is in control <3 Trust Him
http://gigafaith.com/2013/09/turning-disaster-into-good/
The Lord even promises to turn disaster to good for those who “are called according to His purpose” ( Rom. 8:28 ) .  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm
God does not ignore prayers, nor does he answer prayers in our time. If God seems to have not answered a prayer, it is because he has something better for you. What it is, i have no clue, being a creature that cannot see into the future i would never possibly be able to know, But God does, he can see any part of time and he knows what is best.  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Firelit Inspiration

Dedicated Friend

7,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Thank you, to everyone who posted here. I'm still a fairly new christian, only been for about two years, so I don't know a lot of biblical verses by heart yet to go to. I'm doing my best not to let myself feel any anxiety, since I have prayed much and have even had someone pray with me as well about it.  
Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games