Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Prayer Requests
Depression and getting closer to God

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am
Hello, hello. A year back, I think, I asked a question about suicide because I had suicidal thoughts. Well, here I am and obviously not dead, but my depression hasn't gotten any better. I think it's because I have no one to talk to and I struggle with my feelings and thoughts alone.

I have been depressed for a long time, and the main reason for that is my extremely low self-esteem. I can't think of anything good about myself, and the way I know others think of me doesn't make things any easier. What makes things even worse is that now, unlike earlier, I have started self-harming. I only scratch myself with a needle, but enough to make myself bleed. That makes me feel even worse, because I feel like I'm good for absolutely nothing, when I can't even hurt myself even though I am a worthless pile of dump.

That was just a short background story. I'd need prayer to get rid of my depression and a way to get more self-esteem. Another thing is, I'd want to become closer to God. I have prayed myself already and I will, but I wouldn't mind some support. ~  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:12 pm
To draw closer to God, feed on his word. It's appropriately compared to daily food and at times described to be even more important than daily food:

Quote:
Matthew 4:4 (NIV)

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[a]”

Footnotes:

a. Matthew 4:4 Deut. 8:3

Quote:
Job 23:12 (NIV)

I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Quote:
Proverbs 9:1-6 (NIV)

1 Wisdom has built her house;
    she has set up[a] its seven pillars.
2 She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine;
    she has also set her table.
3 She has sent out her servants, and she calls
    from the highest point of the city,
4 “Let all who are simple come to my house!”
    To those who have no sense she says,
5 “Come, eat my food
    and drink the wine I have mixed.
6 Leave your simple ways and you will live;
    walk in the way of insight.”

Footnotes:

a. Proverbs 9:1 Septuagint, Syriac and Targum; Hebrew has hewn out

Your soul needs to feed on Godly, life-giving information (God's wisdom which builds you up spiritually) instead of the ungodly, death-inducing words coming out of people around you (and who knows what other sources; if you're listening to depressive music, also cut that source of information out). Everything we allow to pass through our senses and into our mind, is conveying a message: it will either produce life or death. Even what we allow ourselves to daydream about, that has to be disciplined. Submit your every thought to God. Any time you feel like self-harming, pray to our Heavenly Father to give you strength to resist, reach for his word instead of the needle, read through some psalms and epistles. Fill your mind with something good and constructive (not destructive). The enemy will try to destroy us through any means possible and he will use the people around us to speak poison (hate, anger, gossip, lies) into our minds. God's words are the antidote.

Reading through God's word should give you an accurate assessment of your worth compared to God, and in relation to the other human beings on this planet. There is nothing good about any of us, in truth. The world looks at appearance, skills sets and IQ, but our Heavenly Father is interested in spiritual integrity, which he has to build into us because we're just as dirty of a menstruous rag as the next person—one which he wishes to purify, and only he can. People who are speaking in a derogatory way towards you are not on that path of purity and, as hurtful as their words may feel in the moment, take that opportunity to pray for them inwardly, because they're lost, walking on the road that leads to perdition instead of life. By praying for them, not only are you petitioning God to save them, but you're also getting your mind off of the negativity they're trying to force feed you. Of course pray for yourself as well, that God give you the grace to withstand your circumstances in a godly manner, to not let their words penetrate you, not allow them to induce hatred or lack of faith within you.

Make a choice right now to not allow their words to identify you; your identity should be found in the title "child of God". Live your life as one, walk in the light. He will comfort you if you cast all of your anxiety on him, through prayer, requesting for help and strength; allow his commands to guide you through situations as well. Right now you're giving the enemies' words more importance than God's. But all of what they're saying is vain. The new creation God builds in us cannot possibly match up to anything they're trying to ascribe to you—because we're being conformed to the image of God/Jesus and he has nothing but virtuous traits (Colossians 3:5-10; Romans 8:29). And ultimately, you're not here to live up to their standards:

Quote:
Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Their words are utterly vain/empty.

Let God's word build you up because once you're full of him instead of worldly thoughts, your enemies' words will have little-to-no effect on you anymore, and when they see that in return you reply kindly, totally composed and at peace, or give no reaction at all, they may stop—but more importantly it won't affect you anymore. So do feed on his word and allow God's words to strengthen you instead of heeding the destructive lies of the people around you.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Lindpen

Smitten Pumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:32 am
^real eyes realize put it awesomely.

I'll be praying for you. heart Take care.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:42 am
real eyes pretty much hit it on the head. But i figured this would suffice to show you your worth to God.
http://www.openbible.info/topics/our_worth_to_god

Isaiah 13:12
New King James Version (NKJV)
12 I will make a mortal more rare than fine gold,
A man more than the golden wedge of Ophir.

We are worth more to God then gold.

But i cant speak for all, but if you are in need of a friend, or a ear to talk to, i wish to assist in anyway possible. smile im good at helping people, i like to think.  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:43 am
Miruyamu

-hugs you tight-
Praise God! I'm so happy to read of someone getting closer to God. : )
As someone who used to have suicidal thoughts constantly 2 years ago along with, of course, severe depression, I was brought of out that darkness Thanks to Him. It was a gradual process that didn't happen overnight. I asked for healing in all areas of my life, for Him to turn my life around a 360 for the better.

Let me tell you now, luv..that you don't need the validation of others. As much as we may sometimes crave it and seek it. The only opinion and thoughts who matter..is God's. And this is what He thinks about you.
A love letter from God

The following is an excerpt from an article I found on the web:

" In Deuteronomy 7:6, God tells me that I am "His treasured possession." In Philippians 4:8, God tells me to think about whatever is "true, noble, right, pure, and lovely." I like to think about the truth that God tells me and spend my time thinking about what God says is true. The last Scripture I want to share is Psalm 119:114, “You are my refuge and my shield. I have put my hope in your Word.” My confidence and hope is in God. I know now that instead of being a mistake, I am the Lord’s treasured possession.

I like to memorize Scripture and fill my mind with the truth of who God says I am. This understanding has made all the difference in my life. Now I recognize that God has a plan for my life, and He created me just the way I am for His special purpose."

"The Lord showed me that I am not a mistake, but I am a precious gift…His treasured possession. We have a choice to believe and fill our minds with God’s truth, which will change our hearts, or listen to what other people say and be sad. "

"When Satan tries to put lies into my head, I beat him over the head with the truth of God. I do it over and over again as long as I have to. I know God has given me special gifts and talents, and my desire is to use them for His glory"

"God does not make any mistakes, and that’s the truth… no matter what we sometime may think. As Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding." Jesus is my best friend, and I love Him with all my heart, and I am fully His.There is nothing more important in my life than pleasing Him, spending time loving Him and reading His Word, talking to Him, and sharing His love with other people. His joy fills my heart!

If your heart is sad because you wish God had made you different, read in His Word the truth of what He says about you, believe it, and let Him change your heart. Nothing is impossible with God. He certainly did change my heart.

Lord, I pray for each person, that you will fill their heart with Your truth of who they really are and how much you love them. AMEN!
"  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am
Miruyamu

Just to add,

Here is an awesome article on
Is Satan scared of me?

The enemy will feed you lies, and keep feeding you as long as you let it.
But you can combat the lies with God's Word- His truth.

For instance, whenever I feel like I'm slipping into self-pity, that I'll never get a job..that there's no future or hope for me..

I think about God's truth. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

I meditate on that for awhile and put my trust in that because that is His promise.

The thing I noticed is that we must turn to God and let Him help us. It is only when we choose to not let His Word help us..that we suffer from the lies of the Enemy.

When we don't let Him heal us, let Him carry our burdens by reading His Word about not being anxious or fearful of anything, then we let the Enemy's lies keep us in fear, anxiety, doubt, guilt, sadness, anger, etc.

The Enemy doesn't want us to be happy, to experience God's love and joy in our lives. He wants to collect as many souls as he can in the end. But is it up to us to make the choice..of letting God help us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

All of Heaven is on your side. And they want to see you prosper [not in wealth but in overcoming the Enemy] through Jesus Christ.

Fun fact: God has mentioned: Do not fear in the Bible 365 times. That's one for each day of the year! : )

A very powerful prayer that I've found is this:

God almighty, I plead the blood of Jesus Christ to protect me from head to toe from the Enemy today throughout the day. May you protect my family from head to toe as well as my home. And may you banish any nightmares tonight. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Why do I plead the blood of Jesus Christ and what is the powerful effects of doing so?

God bless you always ♥ emotion_hug  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Mrs Katsu

Angelic Gaian

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:03 pm
Hi! I am so happy that you want to get closer to God.
Thank God you didn't commit suicide. Jesus will never give up on you and he always loves you. He do not want you to hurt yourself but he has greater plans for you.

I want to share a song so Hope you'll listen to it. It is a very beautiful song and when you listen to it, it is like he was near to you when you called him.
hERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVjuJWpz3Zo

I will Pray for you  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 pm
Kimikori

Love that song heart
It relates that even in our darkest point in life, God is always near to us.
We just need to open our hearts for Him.

Miruyamu

Another wonderful song I recommend smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PjrtcHJPo

Some of it's lyrics:
"What they said wasn't true, you're beautiful
Sticks and stones break your bones, I know what you're feeling
Words like those won't steal your glow, you're one in a million!!!

Whatever you've been told, you're worth more than gold
So hold your head up high, it's your time to shine
From the inside out it shows, you're worth more than gold

So don't let anybody tell you that you're not loved
And don't let anybody tell you that you're not enough
Yeah there are days that we all feel like we're messed up
But the truth is that we're all diamonds in the rough
So don't be ashamed to wear your crown
You're a king you're a queen inside and out"

Yes, we are His daughter and son, a prince and princess indeed. Thus, whatever they say or do to you, remember that your identity won't change.
You are precious, you are beautiful =3
God gives forgiveness, so don't let your past failure hinder you. You are changed, you are new in Him. You have to forgive yourself as God also did. 3nodding  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

starry night-163

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 pm
Miruyamu
Hello, hello. A year back, I think, I asked a question about suicide because I had suicidal thoughts. Well, here I am and obviously not dead, but my depression hasn't gotten any better. I think it's because I have no one to talk to and I struggle with my feelings and thoughts alone.

I have been depressed for a long time, and the main reason for that is my extremely low self-esteem. I can't think of anything good about myself, and the way I know others think of me doesn't make things any easier. What makes things even worse is that now, unlike earlier, I have started self-harming. I only scratch myself with a needle, but enough to make myself bleed. That makes me feel even worse, because I feel like I'm good for absolutely nothing, when I can't even hurt myself even though I am a worthless pile of dump.

That was just a short background story. I'd need prayer to get rid of my depression and a way to get more self-esteem. Another thing is, I'd want to become closer to God. I have prayed myself already and I will, but I wouldn't mind some support. ~

I will pray for you and don't stop praying, keep going, never give up until you see God has answered your prayers and even then keep praying as your needs come, keep praying and always just have communion with God as well, just talk doesn't need to be about anything special just talk to him and read his word, the Bible, get to know him more, pray, always pray and never give up because God has promised he will not put to shame those who wait on him so even if you're praying for years keep going, he'll help you, I'm sure you'll see he helped you even when things didn't seem to be going well if you just trust in him.

Isaiah 49:23
IKings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you, and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.”(ESV)

and here below are some things I found that might help you out, I havn't really checked them all out so just look and see which one interests you but the first one I put below I have seen and I reccomend you watch it, it's very good and might be of some encouragement to you.

http://illbehonest.com/an-utterly-unique-god-tim-conway

http://illbehonest.com/?post_type=post&topic=depression-christian-living

http://illbehonest.com/?post_type=post&topic=suffering  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:06 am
Thank you all for your answers so far! :3  

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

BrightestSky

Sparkly Lunatic

13,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:01 am
me too  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 pm
I'll be praying for you, and I'd like to be your friend as well if that's ok.  

Short Melancholic

shalria

Beloved Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:31 pm
Hi, Miruyamu.

The best thing you can do is praise and talk to God constantly. I'd recommend praising God whenever you can however you can! For example, if you see a beautiful sunset, thank God for creating the sunset, giving you functioning eyes, and allowing you to be there to witness it.

Listen to music celebrating Him and sing along.

I'd also like to share that I've been going through the same thing. I've struggled with depression, suicidal thoughts, self-esteem and validation issues for 6+ years now. God has helped me and you immensely, whether I recognize him or not! Thank Him. smile

You will be in my prayers. & If you ever need anything, feel free to PM me. heart  
Prayer Requests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games