Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Is playing online pool/billiards a sin?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:14 pm
Recently, I've downloaded a free app since I deleted most of my old ones [had some form of violence in them] and wanted to start fresh with new ones.
I'm also throwing away some old books that celebrate certain sins that society has accepted.. through media desensitization.

This app has these chips that you bet on. I'm not sure if gambling itself is a sin..but is it still considered a sin if the game is online and no real currency is being used- instead, virtual chips?

I don't play that much games during the day. It's mostly on my spare time.
If it is, I'll gladly discard it. : )  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:56 pm
If you aren't using real money for the game I don't see how it is a sin.
Now if you were to use actual currency to play I would see it differently.

You use gold [fake currency] on Gaia for numerous things that game and Gaia sound kinda the same to me.  

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm
No where in the Bible does it say specifically that gambling in itself is a sin. However, there have been Biblical events about "casting lots" that are often seen such as:

John 19:24 NIV:

“Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.”

This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled that said,

“They divided my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.”

So this is what the soldiers did.

Sometimes with gambling comes the idea of coveting money or craving wealth. This idea can be a dangerous one.

Luke 16:13 NIV:

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

1 Timothy 6:10 NIV:

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Ecclesiastes 5:10 NIV:

Whoever loves money never has enough;
whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.
This too is meaningless.

When people gamble, they try to take the easy way out by not working while earning money.

Proverbs 10:4 NIV:

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.

However, as far as fake currency goes - I suppose it's your attitude and mindset toward the activity. Is it something that it for fun when you aren't doing anything else and nothing more than a game? Do you feel this is influencing you to go onto the path of gambling with real currency? Is this activity leading you into a path of sin? Answer these questions for yourself and where you stand with it and make your decision. I personally see gambling with fake currency as wrong if it is leading you towards sinful behavior, is leading you away from work, or is tempting you to gamble in order to earn money.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 am
Aquatic_blue
No where in the Bible does it say specifically that gambling in itself is a sin. However, there have been Biblical events about "casting lots" that are often seen such as:

“Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.”

Sometimes with gambling comes the idea of coveting money or craving wealth. This idea can be a dangerous one.

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

This too is meaningless.

When people gamble, they try to take the easy way out by not working while earning money.

However, as far as fake currency goes - I suppose it's your attitude and mindset toward the activity. Is it something that it for fun when you aren't doing anything else and nothing more than a game? Do you feel this is influencing you to go onto the path of gambling with real currency? Is this activity leading you into a path of sin? Answer these questions for yourself and where you stand with it and make your decision. I personally see gambling with fake currency as wrong if it is leading you towards sinful behavior, is leading you away from work, or is tempting you to gamble in order to earn money.

Thank you so much, my fellow Sister in Christ emotion_hug
This was both eye-opening and helpful.
I have deleted the app a day or so ago since I wasn't positive about the whole thing so I thought it better safe than sorry. And I'm glad you posed those questions below. For me, I see it as something fun- something to do on my spare time.. but in the long-run, I don't want to feel like gambling in general is okay because I can see myself 'wanting more' fake currency in order to get a different pool stick [or whatever it's called xd ].

Thank you again c:  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm
Spirit Reborn
Aquatic_blue

This too is meaningless.

Thank you so much, my fellow Sister in Christ emotion_hug
This was both eye-opening and helpful.
I have deleted the app a day or so ago since I wasn't positive about the whole thing so I thought it better safe than sorry. And I'm glad you posed those questions below. For me, I see it as something fun- something to do on my spare time.. but in the long-run, I don't want to feel like gambling in general is okay because I can see myself 'wanting more' fake currency in order to get a different pool stick [or whatever it's called xd ].

Thank you again c:

You're welcome smile  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces