flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 am
I guess this thread sort of applies to the subforum. (:

We are looking for a small rental that will allow pets and is reasonably priced, which is naturally really, really hard to find.

My husband works full-time job and I work part-time as animal care tech, although I am looking either for a second PT job or a FT position in a clinic.

So basically we're looking to move out from his sister's house (we rent there) and get a place of our own, because now we can kindasorta afford it.

In any case, there's this small cottage that I absolutely fell in love with.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/apa/4048366331.html

Click, provided that it's still available.

It's the stuff of dreams for an aspiring writer. It's literally on this pristine, quiet river with perfect spots for my husband to fly fish. You're smack-dab in the middle of the woods, surrounded by hiking trails and the Alsea falls. It's an Oregonian hidden gem, so luckily the Alsea and nearby Waldport are not really tourist traps like Newport or Sea Side.

But the commute is about 40 mins from his job, and about an hour and a half from mine.

Which wouldn't be so bad except winter is coming, and it's an old coastal highway. It's small and has sharp curves, plus the faded lines are nearly impossible to see in the dark and heavy coast fog.

Anyhow. How far would be you be willing to commute, and what conditions are you okay to drive in? Or do you bike 20 miles to work/school?

I would take public transit if I could! We carpool to save on gas and reduce our carbon footprint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:35 pm
Well I couldn't see the picture of the cottage--did you end up getting the cottage?
Personally, I commute anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half to get to swim practice, depending on the location and amount of traffic (and time of year--holidays suck traffic wise). However, most of the travel time takes place on the freeway so driving isn't super sketchy. So based solely on time, I would say getting the cottage would be A-okay. However, based on what you said about the condition of the old coastal highway, I would be reluctant to take the cottage because the weather conditions on the coast can be very arbitrary and can change quickly to say the least. Plus, with winter, you absolutely do NOT want to be driving in the snow where there could be hidden ice that could cause your car to slip and slide where you definitely don't want it to.
Hope this helped and good luck! heart  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items