Submit

Ewui

Smitten Mage

44,775 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • New Fan 50
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 pm
For anyone of us who are parrot parents, we already know that wonderful stage. The stage when our adorable feathered angels with talons turn into Evil itself. Ah yes, that wonderful teenage stage filled with rebellion, angst, aggression and sexual frustration. To my dismay, my wonderful Ion (Green Cheek Conure) has came to this stage. He has been extremely aggressive to the point of piercing my thumb nail with his beak when he latched on and I tried to get him on his perch to get him off. Yes he was hanging with no perch support and was still chopping on my thumb nail.

Now you would think I would want to get rid of him after such a thing... NO. I adore my babies and I know it's a lifetime commitment when I decided to rescue them. Yes, he is a rescue parrot. Of course they come with some baggage. I knew that since my first parrot (which I still have) Loki. How he is much more aggressive than Loki ever was and is bigger, with a sharper beak.

So far I have been trying various methods. Such as changing his diet, extra sleeping hours, give him more time to calm down, and so on. The the two methods that have been working so far is trying to train him new tricks to keep him occupied. And whenever he becomes aggressive during our training sessions, I don't say anything, I simply leave him there in the room and he starts to call for me. His bites are becoming softer since I started to do this. I'm hoping it's actually working and it simply not me thinking it is.

Anyone else have any other suggestions or ideas that could possibly help?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Was he beaking you or truly biting you?
I remember reading somewhere that birds respond well to facial expressions, so when they misbehave, you hold them eye level, frown to show your disapproval and talk to them in a stern voice, then place them back in their cage/perch to reflect. I used to do it to my bird when he had the shits. He was not a morning person.

Clasela
Crew

Ewui

Smitten Mage

44,775 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • New Fan 50
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:02 pm
Clasela

Was he beaking you or truly biting you?
I remember reading somewhere that birds respond well to facial expressions, so when they misbehave, you hold them eye level, frown to show your disapproval and talk to them in a stern voice, then place them back in their cage/perch to reflect. I used to do it to my bird when he had the shits. He was not a morning person.

He was not beaking me at all. He was in aggressive stance and when I finally was able to put him safely on his perch as the expense of part of my nail thumb torn and bleeding. He was chasing me on his wooden perch with his beak open to strike and wings somewhat pulled back. I tried that as well but all did was cause him to want to bite more whenever he heard my voice in such a tone. So I stopped.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 pm
Rizeliea

How much time do you spend with him? How long have you had him?

Clasela
Crew

Ewui

Smitten Mage

44,775 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • New Fan 50
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:11 pm
Clasela
Rizeliea

How much time do you spend with him? How long have you had him?

I've had him since May of this year. He is already tame and bonded well with me. He loves me and I'm the only one in the house that is allowed to touch him (that was till he started having his aggression spouts). And I spend every day with him. He lives with me in my room. So if he cannot be with me out of the cage, he still talks to me even when in the cage.

This behavior just started nearly a week ago. I'm not new to parrots though. I have another one and I've been around parrots while growing up. However, this is the first one that has been this aggressive. I do believe it could be his raging hormones. Sometimes he is fine with me; others times, he will do his "take me out of the cage dance" so I will open the cage and whatnot but then he tries to attack me after I do (again, this is not beaking; it's aggression). He has such bizarre mood swings.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:17 pm
Rizeliea

It could be mood swings or something from his past life has triggered the aggression.
I know with a lot of the animals I've rescued, there have been triggers.
Broom (abused), car (dumped) and so on.
Maybe it's a phase, he might grow out of it or you may need to take him to the vet.
Some animals act out when they're sick or in pain.

Clasela
Crew

Ewui

Smitten Mage

44,775 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • New Fan 50
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:21 pm
Clasela

I'm still unsure. The methods I mentioned I've been trying has caused him to relax more and not be as aggressive. But if he continues to act up within another two weeks, I'll make him a vet appointment to be on the safe side.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:37 pm
Rizeliea

Mhm, it's better to be safe and if the vet fails, call a parrot expert in your country.
I remember when I took my guinea pig to the vet after he scratched himself to bloody sores and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him, we called an expert and it turns out, he had mites! She gave us instructions and we cured him. I have no idea how the vets missed that. gonk

Clasela
Crew

yummycupcakessparkles

12,950 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:04 pm
Parrots are pretty especially the tropical ones. Birthday on Monday. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 am
I don't really know about birds sorry

AstridMiriam